2.2

2011 Ford F-350 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-350:

2011 Ford F-350 Owner Comments

Jan 262016

F-350

This 2011 Ford 350 diesel had a catastrophic engine failure on January 26,2016 while driving down nc highway 113 pulling a hay trailer. The mileage was 136,539, the vehicle was well maintained, and the engine suddenly stopped running with oil blowing out of the front base of the engine. I bought the above Ford 350 on February 13, 2014 from nostalgic motor cars in amherst, va. The truck was extremely clean, well maintained, and had 112,156 miles. The truck ran well for almost one year until 136,539 miles. On January 26, 2016 there was a catastrophic engine failure. The engine locked as we were traveled on highway 113 here in alleghany county, nc. No warning lights whatsoever were displayed. There was a sudden loss of power and oil was spewing from the front of the engine. We immediately stopped the vehicle on the side of the road. Bill's garage of West jefferson, nc charged $100 to haul the truck to blue ridge truck and equipment. Kelly joe barker, an experienced diesel mechanic and owner of blue ridge truck examined the truck and found the crankshaft was locked up. Front seals and bearing from around crank shaft had spewed oil. In his opinion, an internal engine component had broken and the engine seized. We ordered a new Ford engine from piedmont truck center in greensboro, N C. it took 6 weeks to arrive. The cost of the repair is excess of $16,000. While the engine was removed, we had kelly joe do any and all maintenance and repairs as reflected on the bill. The original engine was returned. The 6.7 engine was recommended to me as being a great engine, and was good until this catastrophic failure. A Ford F350 6.7 must last more than 136,539. Ford took the old engine when the new engine was purchased, but they have denied any responsibilty for the engine.

- Sparta, NC, USA

May 012016

F-350

Started the truck and was running odd. Decided to start driving to see if the problem would work it self out and started to smell lots of diesel fuel. Pulled over and fuel was everywhere under the hood and on the ground and also a very strong diesel smell inside the cab. Had it towed to the deal and turns out that a fuel injector clamp failed. We also found out Ford has already identified these parts as defective, and have started using a new part with a new part number. This should be a recall. This truck only has 61,000 miles on it. The fuel is atomized in the spray from the injector, this is a serious safety issue that could have resulted in a fire, or worse.

- New Hudson, MI, USA

Dec 222015

F-350

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-350. The contact stated that the engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was included in a recall involving the sensors with the exhaust system. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The contact informed the dealer who scheduled another repair. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact found that NHTSA action number: RQ14005 (electrical system, engine, and engine cooling) directly related to the recalls received and included the vehicle's year, make, model, and engine referenced in the investigation. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 072015

F-350

Purchased vehicle. Drove 63 miles towards home then check engine lite illuminated. Drove to a close Ford dealer and diagnosed as an egt sensor failure. I was told had I driven further the engine would have been disabled and I would have stalled on the road.

- Townville, SC, USA

Jul 252015

F-350

While traveling North bound on the Maine turnpike at mm 34 I experienced a loss of power. I was in the left lane with heavy traffic. I made my way safely to the right hand breakdown lane. I noticed white smoke coming from under the hood. I heard a popping sound. After I stopped, the engine was still running, but smoke was coming from under the hood and starting to enter the cab on the right side. I shut the engine off and but on my emergency flashers. Traffic was very heavy. I exited the cab and looked under the hood. There was no fire, but I could smell diesel fuel. The truck has the 6.7 liter Ford diesel. I noticed fuel leaking onto the frame on the right side behind the front tire. I called Ford roadside assistance and was towed to the Ford dealer in portsmouth, nh where I bought the truck. When I got home I did some research online and found out the hold down clamp for the fuel injectors had been replaced by a new part number. These crack and can allow the injector to blow out of the cylinder head. They spray fuel in the engine compartment after exiting the head. Ford has issued a tsb 12-3-4 on the matter. Others have experienced this problem. Why has this not been recalled is beyond me.I was surprised I did not have a fire! Ford will only replace the affected part, not all 8. I have opened a case with Ford to have all 8 replaced. At this point in time the part is back ordered. The dealer did locate 1 and will be installing it tomorrow. I assume this is a redesigned part.

- Lee, NH, USA

Mar 242015

F-350

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-350. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the egt sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 167,580.

- Costa Mesa , CA, USA

Mar 132013

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

Truck cut off.the egt exhaust sensor keep going out. This is the four time the sensor have gone out.now the ac is out at 51000. Miles I buy a new Ford F350 about ever two to five years I have a lot of problen with this 2011 F350 my next truck may not be a Ford.

- North Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Sep 122014

F-350

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-350. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, there was a loss of acceleration power. The vehicle was restarted and resumed to normal. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the data transformation service pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,805. Djr

- Bloomingdale , NJ, USA

Feb 112014

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

The engine light came on today in my 2011 F350 diesel. Dealer says def pump error code. Dealer says no pumps available until 03/15/2014. I think Ford should issue a service bulletin. Dealer says no warranty. Dealer states truck will shut down at any time. This should become a recall issue with the NHTSA. Owners of these trucks tow trailers frequently with lengths in excess of 36'. having a tow vehicle shut down in traffic at highway speeds is eminently dangerous and will cause fatalities refer to NHTSA campaign number: 13V535000 on similar vehicles.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Aug 302013

F-350

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-350. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was merged off road and engine stalled and would not restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and was diagnosed as having a faulty engine egt exhaust gas temperature sensor. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 26000.

- Wilson , OK, USA

May 282013

F-350

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-350. The contact stated that she noticed a leak from the radiator. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the radiator would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 148,000.

- Eight Mile, AL, USA

Jan 232013

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

According to Ford the truck's fuel pump went out. They said it was back ordered. 1100 trucks affected. I don't believe Ford is supplying the whole story on the issue and their is a lot more to it. Ford is hiding something and you should look into it. I fortunately was in a safe place when the pump went out but others may not be.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Jun 272012

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

Vehicle parked at approximately 10:50 am after being driven, within 15 minutes smoke was noticed coming from under the hood. Fire department was called and then own forces were used to try to extinguish what had now become a flaming fire. As fire was going, electrical items such as lights, windshield wipers, and dump bed started operating on their own. Fire was extinguished with both water and extinguishers before fire department arrived. Complete engine and engine compartment destroyed as a result of fire. Manufacturer was notified.

- Carbondale, IL, USA