2012 Ford F-350 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-350:

2012 Ford F-350 Owner Comments

Aug 272015

Death wobble: Driving over a rough patch of freeway or over an overpass cross joint between 50 - 65 miles per hour, I experience violent shaking due to oscillation of the front wheels and axel. Must reduce speed to ~30 miles per hour to make the shaking stop. I have replaced/upgraded front shock absorbers and steering damper with little effect. I will next replace tires, align the front end and have the track bar (panhard bar) replaced. This first happened in August 2015, the dealer told me it was normal. My truck is now out of warranty, and this happens regularly. I know a spot that the oscillation will occur, and drive to avoid it, however it happens regularly without warning.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

Sep 012014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-350. While driving approximately 75 mph, the front end of the vehicle and steering wheel began to violently vibrate. The contact had to apply the brakes to force the vehicle to decrease in speed. The vehicle was eventually turned off to stop the vibration. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who informed the contact that this was common among Ford vehicles and was known as the "death wobble." The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 141,000.

- Rockville, KY, USA

Aug 192014

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

At speeds between 50 and 62 mph the vehicle will begin a violent uncontrollable shaking in the steering requiring the driver to decrease speed below 45 mph to stop the oscillations. At the time this is happening there is little control over steering and front wheel traction is reduced to almost nothing when it happens on a curve resulting in the inability to remain on the roadway. This is commonly referred to as the "for death wobble" and can be seen on youtube. The earliest incidence I've seen dates to 2007. The dealer tells me that Ford has prescribed a number of things to remedy this situation which the dealer has done and it still hasn't resolved the situation. The repairs have be covered under warranty thus far, but now they have no further solutions to fix the issue. Wet or slick conditions renders this vehicle unusable because of the loss of the ability to steer the vehicle.

- Keokuk, IA, USA

Jan 312015

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

On I-81 thru harrisonburg, va crossing a bridge with several bumps in it. The steering went into uncontrolled vibration like it was coming apart. I had to slow down to 20 mph to get it to stop. 20 mph at night on an interstate is hardly safe. Another time it occurred while entering an on-ramp to an interstate. Again, I had to slow down to 20 mph to get it to stop. The guy behind me, also trying to merge, almost hit me. The vibrations have occurred since the truck was almost new. The Ford dealer says this is normal. I think it represents an accident waiting to happen. It only occurs under specific conditions at speeds of 50-60 mph, a slight turn and road bumps of a certain frequency to initiate the shaking. Under those conditions, a mechanical resonance with positive feedback seems to create the uncontrollable shudder.

- Boyce, VA, USA

Sep 102013

The first time it happened to me I was on a trip in Canada from Texas. The road was a little bumpy (farm road) I was driving 30 M/H accelerating to get to 60 M/H when all of sudden the truck started shaking so badly my head hit the side window. I couldn't steer the truck at all I slowed down to 0M/H put it on park then started rolling slowly and it was gone. It did it to me 3 times on a 3 weeks period. Since the roads are bad up there I kinda left it as that and told my husband about it when I came back to Texas. We had the tires rotated and they couldn't see anything else wrong under the truck. I was months without having anything similar happening to me and yesterday I am on I-10 rolling about 65M/H and there it goes again and it was worst then the other times I fell my truck was about to explode from under me shaking to no end and no steering control at all even when letting go the gas it kept going and shaking and my truck shake its way from one lane to another one and finally stopped 3 inches from the retaining wall of the overpass. I could have killed myself. I had no more control at all on this truck which is a (2012 F-350 king ranch with about 40,000 miles on it) luckely for me I was almost alone on the highway. I called my dealer and they told me to bring in the truck next Tuesday to see what is wrong with it. I ask if there was a recall and they did not say yes or no just to bring the truck in. I got another 2012 F-350 lariat and my husband said his truck did it to him once a while back. I write up the outcome after the visit at the dealer.

- Highlands, TX, USA

Aug 142013

First incident at 20K miles: As I was driving down an interstate highway I crossed a bridge joint and the front end started to shake violently. The horizontal steering stabilizing shock absorber failed. Second incident at 49K miles. As I was driving down an interstate highway the front end started to shake violently. The horizontal steering stabilizing shock absorber failed. 99.9 percent of the miles on this vehicle are on highways. This vehicle does not go off-road. The failure of the horizontal steering stabilizing shock absorber is a serious safety hazard. Had I been on slippery roads or towing a trailer when the shock failed, loss of control and serious injury could have occurred.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Apr 082014

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

At 55 miles an hour on rough pavement, the truck begin to violently shake back and forth. This shaking and jerking caused me to enter into the oncoming lane of traffic. In order to regain I had to slam on the brake pedal control thereby getting the speed down to 40 miles an hour. Ford suggested I checking the ball joints and the steering stabilizers. After spending over $600 in parts (not covered by warranty)and replacing the whole front end linkage, the vehicle then drove fine until I reached another 45 thousand miles or approximately 90 thousand miles total on truck. Now it has repeated the same process all over again throwing me into the opposite lane of traffic. The reason for purchasing a new truck is to have a save vehicle to use for performing my job. This truck has all original equipment and has not been altered in any way prior to this experience. This is definitely a safety issue that needs to be addressed by Ford. I have found an aftermarket stabilizer bar that corrected the problem, however I feel that Ford should recall and repair this problem with the proper equipment before someone looses their life of it.

- Fort Collins , CO, USA

Nov 122013

Front wheel wobble after hitting bump.

- Readlyn, IA, USA