CarComplaints.com Notes: Welcome to North America, Ford Fiesta. Thanks for bringing your herky-jerky transmission, numerous interior quality complaints, and an engine that dies while driving.

2011 Ford Fiesta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fiesta:

2011 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Sep 272013

Fiesta

The engine stalled the first time two days ago on 9/27/2013. The car shut off on the road and I had to restart the car. Also it shakes when you press the accelerator and this has always happened. Yesterday while I was going over a bridge the car stalled so bad that it would not accelerate at all to go over the bridge, the RPM gauge wiggled very bad back and forth and the car began to slide back down the bridge. This is a very dangerous situation. I have taken the car to Ford and they claim this is how the car is supposed to act. I live in jacksonville, fl and being able to accelerate when getting on and off ramps onto the interstate is crucial when merging with traffic but if the car stalls and does not actually move and you are trying to yield and merge with oncoming traffic, anyone can see that this is a potential hazard and very dangerous. My next step is to file a lemon law lawsuit and get Ford to take the car back because they will are not able to duplicate the problem while it is in their repair shop and therefore will not fix it. My best friend has the same car and complains about the same exact issue. Her car shuts off several times a week so she is going to also file a complaint. Before I purchased this car I had a old beat up 1995 Ford Ranger and I never had these issues. I have been to Ford over 3 times about this issue and they continue to say "sir this is how the car is supposed to act" even the receptionist stated when I called to set up yet another appointment to have Ford look at the car "wow... that does seem very dangerous we need to get you in here asap" this is not the only incident I have had with Ford.. I will not even stress on that issue. However this one is very important to me due to the fact I do not even feel safe driving my car to the local store.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Jan 012013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Vehicle would not start, tried several times but only heard sound from starter but engine did not attempt to start until a fourth try and stepping on the gas pedal. After this the vehicle would from time to time turn off when coming to a stop. Service department stated that the throttle body was bad and replaced it.

- Corona, CA, USA

May 202013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Leaked all oil from engine, according to service department findings the head gasket blew. Was 2 weeks in the shop. Vehicle never over-heated nor was it ever driven in a manner that should result in a blown gasket.

- Corona, CA, USA

May 062013

Fiesta 4-cyl

All three occurrences requiring my car to be taken to a shop for repairs involved the vehicle moving at hi-way speeds. While travelling at 65mph, the cruise control cut out and engine died, so I had to coast to the side of the road. Eventually it restarted and I got home. The issue was electronic in nature according to the dealership where I bought the car, and took it for service. The part was not immediately available and when asked, the dealership said it was safe to drive until the part came in. The repair was made under warranty. The second problem was very similar to the first occurrence, and the dealership told me it was a different problem, but was nonetheless electronic in nature. The repair was made under warranty. The third and most recent issue involves the transmission. On my daily commute, cruise set at 65mph, the transmission disengaged. There was no power to the drivetrain. When I coasted to the shoulder, no gear could be achieved. When shut off, the car would not restart. After about ten minutes, after many clunking and clicking noises had occurred under the hood, the car started and I continued. It happened again...and again. This occurred five times in 30 miles, and finally the car would not restart. This was about five miles from home and my car had to be towed to the dealer for repair. The car is two years old with 85,000 miles. All miles are hi-way miles. All routine maintenance has been performed with receipts. This vehicle is a safety hazard, for intermittent, total loss of power and control on the hi-way, as well as leaving the occupants stranded at risk, on the shoulder of said hi-way. Ford does not seem to want to acknowledge publically that this is a safety problem (I.e. recall).

- Smithton, MO, USA

Mar 012013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Over the past 1 1/2 months my vehicle has stalled on the freeway 6 times. Each time the "wrench" light came on, the display read "engine malfunction" and "service now". when this would happen, the engine tachometer would first drop to 1000 RPM and the accelerator would become non-responsive. Soon after that the engine would just rev as if it were in neutral; then "bam" the transmission would engage abruptly and make a loud bang noise and lag when shifting. This has become a major concern as I have had people almost run into the rear of me because of my decline in speed. The only way to get the vehicle back to normal operation is to completely pull to the side of the road and turn the car off for a few seconds and restart it, unfortunately by doing this it resets the fault codes and does not retain the information for the dealership to be able to diagnose. I had brought the car to the dealership and left it for a week. They installed a "flight recorder" and drove for over 114 miles to try to reproduce the problem; but could not. I had pick ed up my car dissapointed that they could not reproduce the problem and as a result could not fix it. When I drove my vehicle that same day to work, it happened again at only 26 miles after their testing. I have seen on other web sites that this seems to be a common problem with other 2011 Ford Fiesta's, I only hope Ford comes up with a fix for this issue soon as it seems to me to be a program issue with the vehicles computer.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 242012

Fiesta

I bought the car new and have taken it to two separate dealerships to correct this issue and it continues. Initially, the transmission light came on and the car began having trouble shifting. After the first repair, the car began shaking uncontrollably. The second repair corrected the shaking, but now (at 15,755 miles) the car will (1) make grinding metallic noises when shifting, (2) fail to shift on any incline (instead it revs to approximately 2500 rpms and "sticks" there), (3) jolt forward when the brake is applied as if the accelerator was pressed down, and (4) roll backwards on hills as if it is a manual transmission. I understand that (4) can be common among newer automatics that attempt higher fuel economy. However, numerous times the speed at which the car rolls back has incurred a safety risk. This seems to be another indication of an issue with the transmission.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 152012

Fiesta 4-cyl

The positive battery cable completely sheared off preventing the car from starting. The circular lug used to connect the cable to the positive battery post is too thin for the size of the cable and extra safety fuses and circuitry. To make matters worse such a poorly designed part has a lead time from Ford's oem in Mexico of 4-6 weeks. The car has been at North central Ford in richardson, Texas, since 15 August. After missing the part delivery deadline three times the dealership finally provided a rental car. As of the writing of this issue the Ford Fiesta has been in the shop for 26 days, still waiting for the original part from the oem.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jul 042011

Fiesta 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact was driving 55 mph when he began to smell gasoline fumes. The odor was so overpowering that even after exiting the vehicle he could still taste and the smell gasoline in his hair and clothing. The failure recurred numerous times and would become stronger with every recurrence. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis who referred the contact to a second dealer. The second dealer was able to locate an oil leak around the seal, which was repaired but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was notified of the issue but no assistance was provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 17,700. Updated 9/11/12 updated 9/26/12 the consumer stated the smell usually occurred after long 3-4 hour trips. Updated 10/04/2012.....updated 01/30/13 the consumer stated Ford service found a bad oil seal covering the entire bell housing. The cooling fan was inoperable. Ford replaced the sensor and advised the cooling fan may operate the same way. If this did occur the service tech stated he would not know what to do next. The engine would have to freeze up first. The fan continued to be inoperable. The consumer could smell hot steel under the hood. While going up a mountain, the motor timing went off then went back up. Also, when it rains for at least 3 days the motor picks up the moisture, then there is a gas smell. Burning in the nose and burning taste follows for one night. Updated 2/5/2013 consumer requested to have all information, regarding his vehicle deleted from out website. Updated 11/13/13

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 092011

Fiesta 4-cyl

Coming to stop you start to speed up why you are pressing on brakes, do to the fact that the brake pedal and gas pedal are to close to each other.

- Sussex, NJ, USA