CarComplaints.com Notes: Welcome to North America, Ford Fiesta. Thanks for bringing your herky-jerky transmission, numerous interior quality complaints, and an engine that dies while driving.

2011 Ford Fiesta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fiesta:

2011 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Oct 012014

Fiesta

Under warranty and with very few miles on the car, the dealership fixed my Ford Fiesta after I reported the car stalling. This problem was happening within the first year. I could be in the middle of an intersection waiting to turn left, idling in traffic, stopped at a light...car might stall. I dreaded being on a busy social highway stuck in traffic because the car might stall and often it did. I was told it had something to do with oxygen or lack thereof. Fast forward two years. My car started stalling again but this time it also seemed to hesitate, jerk, or not respond when I accelerated.then the engine light came on. (side note: During the last year the ac stopped working properly and was making a horrible noise. A mechanic quoted $1000 for a new condenser & compressor). Well, with these last two problems I am no longer under warranty. My car was diagnosed with a bad throttle body sensor ($880 repair). I have researched online and heard from others that this is all too common with Ford Fiesta's and other Ford models. I have called Ford Motor Company to report this and complain about these problems. They opened a case number and directed me to ask the dealership where I took it for repairs if they would help out. They did not help with the throttle body repair. I learned just yesterday that a family member with the same car with low miles - 2011 Ford Fiesta - is complaining of the same problems. Sounds very much like he may be faced with the same, expensive repairs. I hope there will be a recall for this throttle body sensor problem. This stalling and acceleration issue is a real safety hazard. It is not only very nerve wracking in traffic, but is dangerous as well because the car can stall at any moment.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Dec 032010

Fiesta 4-cyl

We questioned the dealer salesperson about the erratic behavior the night we purchased the car. We were told the vehicle had a manual transmission that shifted automatically. The vehicle has been to the dealership and or the dealership has been questioned many times regarding the issue. Most recently there was a notice for a reprogramming of the transmission, this did not resolve the issue. The dealers still insist that the behavior is normal. This behavior has now created many close call situations from lunging when going forward and reverse. The shifting is very erratic and makes a lot of noise from 0 to 20 mph or so. I'm also concerned about the resale value of this vehicle since I just recently starting doing research on the issue and have found it's a widespread problem. Please advise.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Sep 152014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My Ford Fiestas transmission is officially broke. The car's trannie was officially looked at by three transmission specialists, all baffled to why this car is dealing with this with such few miles. I've talked with numerous representatives of Ford, who've assured me that bad things just happen and there's nothing they will do. This is a terrible problem that needs to be addressed.

- Danville, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Fiesta 4-cyl

While traveling to and from work, the vehicle suddenly stalls on me. It stalls even if I am just waiting on a stop sign or light. I have been on the hwy and it stalls. I am able to turn it back on but this is dangerous. It makes noise like the engine wants to fall off. My husband also has a Ford Fiesta and the same thing happens to him. What is wrong with these cars?

- Bronson, FL, USA

Aug 212014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I was driving home from work in the early afternoon on August 21, 2014 when my car seemed to lose throttle. I had noticed it was sluggish to pick up speed around 5 miles before. Immediately before the car lost throttle, as if it were in neutral, the check engine light came on, an audible alert was made, and then most of the service lights came on. I managed to pull the car over in about 30 seconds, and once I was parked I could see flames coming out of the left side of the hood. I turned the car off at that point, got out, and called 911. Unfortunately the front of the vehicle was completely engaged by the time the fire crew arrived. The vehicle was a total loss.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Jul 142014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My car was sitting in a parked position on a hill side and drifted backward over the hill, hit a guideline and rolled over two times. The car had been in the dealership over 20 times. Ford and erie ins. Met in may of 2014 and both decided the problems were related to manufacturing issues. The Ford dealership replaced my 2011 Ford Fiesta's computer, water pump, reprogrammed the transmission replaced the flywheel between the motor and the transmission, entire engine (short block and heads were replaced, coils, and many other items were replaced trying to correct the problem.the transmission allowed the car to roll down the hill backwards instead of holding the car in a stopped position. I asked my car insurance company and Ford motor to meet and have the car assessed for mechanic failures after the crash several times. I was told by the representative at my local Ford dealership that Ford did not want to look into the problem because they did not want to open themselves up to liability.. erie insurance did not want to spend the money investigating the crash, it should be Ford Motor Company's responsibility to look into the crash. I ask erie insurance to hold the car at the savage yard until either party could investigate the problems the car had over the past year and subsequent failure resulting in the total loss of my vehicle. Ford motor and C harper Ford both knew my 2011 Ford Fiesta had issues over the past year while my car was attempting to get fix(it was at the dealership approximately 26 times) and continued to fail. The Ford service consultant tom/ mechanic at the dealership informed me the Ford Fiesta models we having multiple mechanical issue and the car was junk. However, upon the 26 times they attempted to fix the car they allowed me to drive it with both myself and my family in the car. Thus knowing they were putting us a risk.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Jun 102014

Fiesta 4-cyl

2011 Ford Fiesta ses, manual transmission: Car started stalling about 3 or 4 mos ago when I would come to a stop. Yesterday, it stalled as I was driving!!! now I don't dare get behind the wheel! I bought this car in '11 brand new and have had no problems with it until now. And now all I want to do is dump it!

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jul 242014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I own a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The car has left me stranded on the side of the road 4 times. 3 out of the 4 times I broke down I was right in the middle of rush hour traffic in new orleans! not good! I could have been killed, or killed someone else. Twice I've had to wait on the side of the interstate for 2.5 hours waiting for a tow truck when I was supposed to pick up my 11 year old from camp. I've missed work, my son has been stranded, and I just do not feel safe in this car. It's been in the shop 4 times now and they've worked on it 3 times. The first time it broke down I brought it to Ford and they kept it for one day but they didn't get to work on it because I was having problems with my extended warranted, which is through Nissan. The 2nd time I was told the clutch went out in the dual transmission due to transmission fluid leaking on a component in the car. They took my transmission out, replaced the clutch, accidentally busted out my windshield in the process, then gave the car back. Not too long after I got it back, it broke down again. They said it was the computer that operates the transmission. They did updates on the computer and gave it back to me. The very next day it broke down again and is now sitting back at Ford in slidell. At this point I don't even think they know what to do with it. I then file a complaint with Ford and they say there's nothing they can do" so I'm just stuck with this broken car from Ford that is only a few years old? my son was with me one of the times that I broke down - the poor thing was scared half to death! I can't keep missing work - what am I supposed to do? all I see online is people with lawsuits against Ford because of the transmission in these things... why isn't this a recall yet" it is definitely dangerous!

- Slidell, LA, USA

Jul 082014

Fiesta

While driving down a certain road I noticed the car while on drive, switched to reverse backed up on its own and then to park without me switching gears. It did so until I was able to somehow pull over on the side of the road and turned the car off. I immediately decided to call 9-11 the officer who arrived on the scene saw with his own eyes what the car was doing and stated not to drive the car and that it was a hazard on the road. When we visited Ford the dealer did not know what happened to the car and "flew over a technician" but the same problem persisted.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My 2011 Ford Fiesta transmission has been an issue for awhile now. I have had them reset the system and also replace the clutch. However, my car still has issues the transmission sticks and does not always accelerate when I press on the guess. You can hear and feel the engine stick and shutter. The car is more and more failing to accelerate which has caused to me to almost get into several accidents. The solution I was told by Ford was that there is no true fix and it is just something they can not fix. My car is brand new and still under warranty. That type of answer is not acceptable, especially when I have almost been in several accidents because of my car malfunctioning. I want this issue resolved for good, I am extremely concerned for my safety in my car and fear of getting in an accident or seriously injured due to this issue.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Mar 052014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle in May 2013 as a used vehicle from the Ford store in san leandro, ca. I have had nothing but trouble with this car since I purchased it. The first thing that broke was my passenger side visor. Even though "visors and front seat SRS warning" is checked off on the 172 point inspection form I was given, the visor had a crack in the piece of the visor that held it to the roof of the car. I had no idea anything was wrong with it until a passenger tried to use it and it fell into their lap. After a few months of driving the vehicle I started noticing that there is a delay when you press the gas peddle (about a 3-4 seconds), it was like the car didn't want to respond to the peddle being pushed down. I also noticed that the car would roll backwards when on a hill, I always thought I had all of the worst parts of a manual transmission, but the car is an "automatic". besides rolling backwards, the delay in the peddle would make it tough to stop at the top of a steep hill and start again, I would give it gas and it would be very sluggish. The worst part of the car has to be that when I was "crawling" in traffic, the car would shut off. It seems that it is idling too low when the car is moving slow. This also happened to me when I was pulling into a parking spot. After having this car for a year I had to replace the cooling fan after its motor burned out, I think it was a result of too much acceleration, too fast... cause you just don't know when the thing will die on you.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Jun 202014

Fiesta 4-cyl

From the beginning it has never shifted right or so I think. I even purchased the extended warranty and when I complained about it the shop said that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. Well the other day it was making crunching noises shifting gears and it took several hundred rpms to get the car going. Went to parts store in it running like this 10 miles away and when I came back and pulled into driveway it died and hasn't started since.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Mar 062014

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled when the gear was placed into neutral. The check engine indicator illuminated prior to the failure. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,100.

- Purvis, MS, USA

Apr 282014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Car was stalling out / dying repeatedly in heavy stop and go traffic. The car would lurch forward when I pushed the gas from a dead stop and then would stall out completely. I would have to put the car in park, turn the key to start the car, and then put it in gear to get the car to drive again. If I were in traffic, and then decided to turn left to cross over the other side of the street, my car could have stalled and I could have been hit by oncoming traffic. Very scary to drive a car with this defect. I took it in to get repaired and was told that it was the throttle body. It's not covered under the warranty and right now there is no recall on the vehicle for this part.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 172012

Fiesta 4-cyl

I had a 2011 Ford Fiesta, I have been experiencing a jerking/lunging motion when the transmission downshifts from time to time. I have almost been in an accident twice because of this with my 8 year old daughter and girl scouts in the car. I took the vehicle in for service and have informed their service dept. /mechanic of the issue. They assured me that nothing was wrong and the vehicles computer is adjusting to how I drive the car and that is why it is doing this. They replaced the clutch and reprogrammed my car over four times" I have done a little research and found this websites after website with people with other complaints similar to mine. I called Ford Motor Company and filed a formal complaint. It took a week for someone to call be back and I was told the car was fine. I tried to call back, but you only get to the call center and no further. I was refused to be transferred to a manager and was told that was that"S the way the car was designed to drive. I was offered a discount the X plan to trade in my car for another but that would not help. When dealing with the dealership the service manager said I am sorry I can't help you anymore. We get at least 6 calls a day about the same problem but until Ford does something there is nothing we can do. I work with three other women that also have had the same problem with their cars. Two of us had to trade our cars because we felt so un-safe in the cars.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Mar 062014

Fiesta 4-cyl

While coming to a stop light check engine light started flashing. Had no response from accelerator peddle. Would not go. Was able to roll into a parking lot. After shutting off vehicle and restarting it ran fine. Continued 1-2 miles and condition occurred again. Had to restart in the road to continue home. Ran fine to work and back the next day. Then, on highway while going 65-70 started to lose speed and had no response from accelerator peddle. Came to a rolling stop unable to go. Luckily was able to coast to shoulder without getting hit. Took it to a dealership to learn that a throttle body is needed at a cost of $1000. This is now sitting in the drive as we cant afford the $1000. Big safety issue as unable to accelerate and get off of road at unexpected times.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Feb 062014

Fiesta 4-cyl

The traction control on my 2011 Fiesta is a death trap. There is no option on my specific car to disable the system. In mild snow or slush, the vehicle loses all power to the wheels as soon as tcs engages. I got stuck at the bottom of my driveway. Today, 2/14/14 I was nearly killed when the car got stuck in 4" of snow & was partially in the lane of a busy roadway (I was attempting to turn into the parking lot to my place of employment). My fiance' & our 8 yr old son (who is a factor 9 hemophiliac) were screaming and scared to death as the car was helpless to move away from oncoming traffic. This is an issue that later year 2011, 2012, & 2013 models have the option to turn off this function however there is no way to add this feature to my car. If I or my family are injured due to this issue I will sue Ford & NHTSA for allowing this vehicle to be sold with this kind of safety problem.

- Levittown , PA, USA

Jan 022014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Traction control system in heavy snow slows car to a crawl while entering an intersection nearly causing an accident with oncoming traffic. In early 2011 Fiesta, there is no way to turn off the traction control system in order to maintain momentum to get through heavy snow which creates a dangerous situations.

- Temperance, MI, USA

Jul 162012

Fiesta 4-cyl

Driving in traffic normal speed about 40-45 mph, vehicle stopped accelerating completely. Normal commute & almost got rear ended since the car started to decelerate quickly. Once we were able to pull off to the side of the road we tried switching the gears and restarting the car. After this, the car would not restart at all. Taken the car to Ford multiple times and they have ran all sorts of diagnostics and we find ourselves at the dealership at least every 2-3 months with issues. Ford corporate did nothing but provide extended warranty. What would they have done if we were actually rear ended & severely hurt because of the faulty car? unfortunately an extended warranty does not correct he problem & this vehicle is still jeopardizing my family's safety and we'll being.

- North Lauderdale , FL, USA

Dec 012013

Fiesta

Took vehicle in for oil change around 30K miles, tech called me back to show me oil leak. Further investigation found oil leaking from head gasket and crank shaft caps. Everything replaced under warranty. 10K-15K miles later same issue happens again. Everything fixed under warranty again. Few thousand miles later my wife backs out of driveway and there is a puddle of oil under the car again. I got rid of the car before failure again and warranty is expired. Car always handled well, great gas mileage. Terrible acceleration and quirky transmission.

- Bethalto, IL, USA