2005 Ford Five Hundred drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

May 202013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and both the fail safe engine mode and the wrench warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was stopped and restarted, as it operated normally. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 168,400. Updated 08/15/13

- Lexington, MA, USA

Aug 012012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I had previously had problems with unintended acceleration when parked and then putting the car into reverse (automatic transmission). After reading many complaints on your site in which consumers said the throttle body had been diagnosed as causing the problem, I had the dealership replace the throttle body. ( a few months later, Ford sent a letter offering to replace the throttle body). Despite having had the dealership replace the throttle body, the car continues to accelerate faster than it should sometimes when put in reverse and I must always be prepared to brake rapidly. If a driver was unaware of the problem or had slow reaction time, a car or person in a parking lot could be hit.

- Diamond Springs, CA, USA

Jan 212013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the all wheel drive malfunctioned and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact merged to the shoulder of the road, powered off, then restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the oxygen sensor and dim module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 150,000.

- Romuluf, MI, USA

May 242012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the transmission failed and the speed dropped to 30 mph. The contact moved the vehicle off the roadway and allowed the vehicle to cool down. The contact was able to drive the vehicle home. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the transmission control module needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 200,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Oct 222012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

In August 2010, I had the continuously variable transmission replaced at ~98,000 miles. Luckily, it was under warranty. Now in October 2012, the second transmission as the service member said at the Ford dealership "the transmission exploded, we're not even sure how you were able to drive this vehicle. This was at ~146,000 miles, but there is only ~48,000 miles on the transmission itself. Two transmissions have failed in this vehicle. Searching the internet I have come across several instances of the Ford Five hundreds continuously variable transmission failing. I called the Ford care line to report it, but they claim they are unaware of any issues. My concern is this third transmission will also fail at some point.

- Perryopolis, PA, USA

Aug 082012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

On hot days, when backing out of parking spaces, the car has sometimes "surged" meaning that there has been unintended acceleration without the accelerator being pressed at all. I have had to suddenly and firmly put my foot on the brake to prevent the car from hitting other vehicles. This has happened on several occasions in August of 2012. I own a 2006 Ford Five hundred also and it has had the same problem in the same conditions (filing separate complaint).

- Diamond Springs, CA, USA

Jun 022012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My Ford Five hundred has been unexpectedly surging when releasing the brake pedal when going forward and reverse. It has almost caused me to hit other vehicles in a parking lot on several occasions and makes it extremely difficult to control the speed of the vehicle when starting to accelerate. Something needs to be done about this issue. I am not the only person who is experiencing this. There are many more people who have posted the same issue on blogs and websites I have read. Please look into this issue.

- Trenton, MO, USA

Sep 012012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Out side air temp was approx 96 degrees so ac was on. While shifting into reverse the vehicle lunged so hard it was uncontrollable, and unstoppable, if some one had stepped out behind me they would have died as I could only stop reward movement by shifting into drive. This occurred three times trying to get out of a parking space at a crowded mall.the vehicle then stalled. The lunging was so fast the brakes could hardly hold the car from moving in reverse. In checking there is a service bulletin tsb-05-25-13 from Ford Motor Company on this very issue but no recall, also many incidents/accidents recorded in this regard. If I was not prepared enough during this incident in a crowded parking lot some one would have died, this must be addressed B-4 someone is run over. Currently Ford has no comment. Please contact me for further details.

- Markleeville, CA, USA

Jan 092012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The car sudden surges forward or back when moving out of park. If your foot is not firmly on the brake it will go move significantly. Upon research online and talking to Ford directly this is known problem that is not under re-call yet but should be. Our local Ford dealer carries the throttle bottle in stock because they sell so many of them. They average 10 a year. A simple research of the problem shows up. It is extremely dangerous. Also if there is quick stop it will go to a fail safe mode and basically shut off the car completely. The car has to be shut off and restarted in order to move the vehicle again. The throttle bottle must be replaced in order for it to be safe as a parts cost of almost $600.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jul 242012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

We were driving down a highway and went to get back to speed after passing through a speed zone. I noticed a decrease in power and looked at the information screen. The fail safe mode and the "wrench" icon was on. I pulled the car over and turned it off. I then turned it on and the car acted normal. It has happened twice since the first incident. My wife took it to the dealership and Ford cannot duplicate the problem and the issue does not throw a check engine code or leaves any type of electronic history of the issue. I cannot allow my wife to drive this car because she is seven month pregnant and cannot have her drive it if the car breaks down due to this issue.

- Bastrop, TX, USA

Aug 082012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

On hot summer days and only on hot summer days when stopped at light or stopped period car begins to surge forward while holding brake. Went asked Ford why is this happening they said they don't know. That I should get the throttle body and mass air flow sensor serviced if not done already. I guess it had to be done at 90K but I did not know. Well I did what they said, went home and car is now idling rough went back and they want to charge me another $90 dollars ontop of the $105 they have already charged me for the throttle and mafs. I have almost gotten in numerous accidents because of this but Ford doesn't want to acknowledge that this is a problem with this car.

- Colton, CA, USA

Jul 262012

Five Hundred

So here I am another victim of a faulty throttle body. Thanks Ford I love when my car takes off on me without notice, especially when you have kids in the car. How many of these do I have to read before action is taken. Does it take a death or serious accident. Cost me 718 dollars I expect a recall soon and my money back I will not quit until this is taken care of. It's sad when you go to a mechanic and they say "wow there is still not a recall on this". oh by the way it is such a common problem I diagnosed my own car issue in 5 minutes by using google and typing failsafe engine mode.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 012012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle down shifted and lost engine power. The failure was experienced numerous times. The dealer reprogrammed the computer, but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for a diagnostic test, which located the failure at the transmission valve body. The transmission valve body was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileages were 67,407.

- Angola, IN, USA

Aug 162007

Five Hundred

Vehicle shifts hard when hitting passing gear on highway like transmission is slipping or going out. Lose all power and car will buck back and forth. Also does it when transmission down shifts and then tries to upshift when accelerating and engine warm.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Sep 182009

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Vehicle slipped out of drive into neutral while ascending hill. I had to pull over completely and stop, shift into low and slowly back into drive. The car behind me almost rear ended me as I had lost power with no warning. Car once warmed starts to buck violently while driving at an even speed, bucks violently when coming to a stop and randomly slips out of gear with no warning. I have had this car since 2009 and have pot less then 20000 miles on it. The dealer tells me the computer does not read any problems.

- Conway, NH, USA

Apr 162012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I have an ongoing issue with the transmission de-engaging when the temperature of the transmission warms up. When I accelerate when passing or using the cruise control the transmission will dis-engage leaving me with no forward power, I must put the car in neutral and hope it engages all the while almost being run over by two semi-trucks. This happened almost a dozen times down and back on my trip from buffalo to peapack NJ on Monday 4/16/2012. This is a know problem that Ford is aware on the Five hundred model, montego and some Fusion models. Many start to fail at less than 30,000 miles and happened at 65,000 miles on my vehicle. I consider this an extremely dangerous situation and amazed no one has been killed due to these defective transmissions. The Ford forum has over 10 pages of complaints regarding this problem. Ford told me they would not do anything unless there was a recall.

- Clarence Center , NY, USA

Jan 112011

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled while depressing the accelerator pedal. All of the lights on the instrument panel failed and the reverse lights illuminated erroneously. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they advised the contact that the PCM module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 125,000.

- Ruicoso, NM, USA

Aug 112011

Five Hundred

While stopped at a red light, the car started to jerk and the motor raced/idled up high.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Aug 152011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

We bought my car in July 2011, its was garaged by the 1st owner so it was like brand new!! low miles just 12,850, start what now seems to be the endless drives in a rental car and with empty wallets totaling now approx; close to an additional $3,500 now in repairs from the battery in Aug 2011 to now to having the throttle being replace along with a set if tires and the 2nd set of both rear and front brakes in less then a year, all due to the consent stopping and going of the car by hitting the brakes too much and having to accelerate, because the car would while tempting to pull out of my garage at what should of been a mere 3miles per hour; resulted in flying backwards suddenly while foot was applying pressure on the brakes to keep from mowing down my teenage son at 15 miles a hour on its own with the mp rising rapidly, was the scare of my life!!!! please someone recall this car, before someone really does get killed or hurt!!! as of today the total this time to repair my car is at a total if$ 1,585.00; to replace the throttle and tires & brakes again, and Ford wouldn't even comp, us a rental car this time on our 5 trip down to the service dept of Ford!!!!

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Jan 022012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Driving from sj to la, calif. 200 miles into my journey with wife and 3 kids, pulled off highway for gas. Slowed down and noticed the wrench and check engine lights on and car would only go 10 to 15 miles per hour and revved at more than 3000 rpms. The car clunked hard when put into drive or reverse. Turned off the engine, several times and restarted. Sometimes fixed problem, other times did not. I had car towed to hanford, California, and then again to los angeles-another 198 miles to Ford dealership. I had to rent a car and drive the rest of the way to la and drive back - 198 miles-to hanford-to return the rental car. I tested the car a few times in hanford and when it was at the Ford dealer. From a cold start, the car worked fine. Drove and shifted well with no problems. But once the car warmed up, it went back into limp-mode, clunked hard when you shifted into drive or reverse, and would go only 10-15 mph at 3000 or more rpms. The dealer test drove it and had the same result. The dealer got codes P0701, P0871, and P0961 and said that meant the transmission had internal problems. They said they called Ford engineers who told them the likely problem was when the transmission fluid warms up, it is not properly circulating due to leaks in what they called two variators inside the transmission. They quoted the cost to replace the variators as $3600 for parts and labor of $1200 for a total of $4800 and that is more than the cost to replace the transmission for which they quoted $4500. So they replaced the transmission. After starting, they found a broken transmission mount so they replaced that for another $250 (part only - no labor charge). I test drove the new transmission yesterday. The car no longer goes into limp mode and drives nicely except after it warms up it clunks hard into drive and reverse and wines in reverse gear. Not taking car till fixed properly.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA