2005 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 212013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the all wheel drive malfunctioned and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact merged to the shoulder of the road, powered off, then restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the oxygen sensor and dim module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 150,000.

- Romuluf, MI, USA

Oct 222012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

In August 2010, I had the continuously variable transmission replaced at ~98,000 miles. Luckily, it was under warranty. Now in October 2012, the second transmission as the service member said at the Ford dealership "the transmission exploded, we're not even sure how you were able to drive this vehicle. This was at ~146,000 miles, but there is only ~48,000 miles on the transmission itself. Two transmissions have failed in this vehicle. Searching the internet I have come across several instances of the Ford Five hundreds continuously variable transmission failing. I called the Ford care line to report it, but they claim they are unaware of any issues. My concern is this third transmission will also fail at some point.

- Perryopolis, PA, USA

Oct 262012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Was driving my 2005 Five hundred today. I pulled off the highway and stopped at a red light. When the light turned green I had hardly any power. No power steering, all gauges at home and a message say "engine failsafe mode". I turned the car off and restarted with no problems. I've read on different sites where people have had this same issue of the throttle sticking open and the car lunging forward or back nearly causing a wreck.

- Holden, MO, USA

Oct 132012

Five Hundred

My car surges. It is mostly at idle speed. It's dangerous. I was at a drive through and a janitor was sweeping. My car surged and I literally stood on the breaks to prevent running over him. At the drive through it surged forward and I had to stand on the breaks to prevent it from ramming into the car ahead. It occurs more when air conditioning is running but will occur without ac on. I the local dealer replaced the throttle body recently but it still surges. It occurs when pulling to a stop at the lights or at the drive through as you slowly move forward. It happens when pulling into a parking spot or when backing up. I've seen news about the problem with the Ford escape. My Ford 500 is also affected and weighs a whole lot more. If this thing surges forward it could do some serious damage.

- Magnolia, IL, USA

Sep 172010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the wrench warning indicator illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted but the failure continued to recur. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the vacuum operative valve behind the throttle body was replaced. The failure recurred after the repairs. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 134,000.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Sep 172011

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the wrench warning indicator illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the vacuum operative valve behind the throttle body was replaced. The failure recurred after the repairs. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 121,000.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Apr 072007

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Rough acceleration from stop for years. After 218,000 miles engine shuts off reporting engine fail-safe mode. Will restart after sitting on side of road for couple, 5-minutes. Dealer states bad throttle body - $900 repair. Apparently a common problem.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

May 022012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The electronic throttle body is bad in majority of vehicles in my class year. This costly repair causes the vehicle to lunge forward while in drive and lunge backwards while in reverse. It is worst when the ac is on, ,it causes the vehicle to idle high and low to the point of almost shutting off the vehicle in traffic.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 092012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The car sudden surges forward or back when moving out of park. If your foot is not firmly on the brake it will go move significantly. Upon research online and talking to Ford directly this is known problem that is not under re-call yet but should be. Our local Ford dealer carries the throttle bottle in stock because they sell so many of them. They average 10 a year. A simple research of the problem shows up. It is extremely dangerous. Also if there is quick stop it will go to a fail safe mode and basically shut off the car completely. The car has to be shut off and restarted in order to move the vehicle again. The throttle bottle must be replaced in order for it to be safe as a parts cost of almost $600.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jul 242012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

We were driving down a highway and went to get back to speed after passing through a speed zone. I noticed a decrease in power and looked at the information screen. The fail safe mode and the "wrench" icon was on. I pulled the car over and turned it off. I then turned it on and the car acted normal. It has happened twice since the first incident. My wife took it to the dealership and Ford cannot duplicate the problem and the issue does not throw a check engine code or leaves any type of electronic history of the issue. I cannot allow my wife to drive this car because she is seven month pregnant and cannot have her drive it if the car breaks down due to this issue.

- Bastrop, TX, USA

Aug 082012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

On hot summer days and only on hot summer days when stopped at light or stopped period car begins to surge forward while holding brake. Went asked Ford why is this happening they said they don't know. That I should get the throttle body and mass air flow sensor serviced if not done already. I guess it had to be done at 90K but I did not know. Well I did what they said, went home and car is now idling rough went back and they want to charge me another $90 dollars ontop of the $105 they have already charged me for the throttle and mafs. I have almost gotten in numerous accidents because of this but Ford doesn't want to acknowledge that this is a problem with this car.

- Colton, CA, USA

Mar 122012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 155,000 and the current mileage was 160,000.

- Niles, MI, USA

Mar 282012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle began to jerk violently and responded as though it would stall. The failure occurred sporadically when driving at low and high speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for a diagnosis. The technician stated that the motor mount would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Jul 262012

Five Hundred

So here I am another victim of a faulty throttle body. Thanks Ford I love when my car takes off on me without notice, especially when you have kids in the car. How many of these do I have to read before action is taken. Does it take a death or serious accident. Cost me 718 dollars I expect a recall soon and my money back I will not quit until this is taken care of. It's sad when you go to a mechanic and they say "wow there is still not a recall on this". oh by the way it is such a common problem I diagnosed my own car issue in 5 minutes by using google and typing failsafe engine mode.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 262012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

This happens frequently almost daily in the summer. But on a hot day (90+) when moving from a stopped position out of a parking spot or around a corner, when you lightly have the brake pedal depressed if you turn the wheel slightly (ie backing out of a tight parking space) the car will lunge violently and aggressively in what ever direction you are traveling, sometimes so aggressively it will stall the vehicle out and then go into a failsafe mode. This is very dangerous as you could unexpectedly hit someone walking around the car at a stop sign or crosswalk. I have also found numerous other complaints on various blogs, forums, and other sites. Everyone basically stating the dealer gives them the run around. And as long as it is a hot day I can duplicate the results continuously, and would be more than willing to show this to someone else if possible. I am typically not one to complain, but I feel very strongly about the safety of this vehicle, especially since I have a 3yr old daughter.

- Port Wentworth, GA, USA

Jul 062012

Five Hundred

During hot ( 95 degrees) afternoon, with A/C on high, vehicle revs and lurches while vehicle is in gear. Hard pressure on the break will stop the vehicle, but engine revs still continue. Engine then dies and ' engine fail safe mode ' appears. Turning the vehicle off and waiting to restart resets the fail safe mode. Allowing vehicle to cool down clears the short term problem. Reported to local Ford dealer who claims to have not heard of the problem.

- Ames, IA, USA

Jun 012012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

While parking, with foot on brake the car surged forward. The A/C was on as well. It has now happened 7 more times all while the A/C is on either parking or reversing from a parking spot.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Jul 012012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

During warm weather with the A/C operating, the rpms surge and the vehicle lunges in the direction of the transmission lever selection (forward or reverse) when moving the shift lever from park to drive or from park to reverse with driver's foot on the brake. Engine rpms surge up to approx. 1,500 from idle at a dead stop without input from accelerator pedal. Different indicator lights come on and often the engine dies after the surge. If driver does not keep appropriate pressure on break pedal while shifting from park, the vehicle will accelerate without input from gas pedal. This surge also happens when decelerating to a stop. Vehicle slows down and rpms decrease to approx 600 (idle), and with pressure applied to brake pedal, engine rpms will increase, without input from accelerator pedal, forcing the driver to increase pressure on brake pedal or risk uncontrolled forward movement. Initial reports indicate a faulty throttle body as referenced in NHTSA investigation # PE110818.

- Verona, WI, USA

Jun 012011

Five Hundred

While stuck in rush hour traffic, car was at a complete stop at a red light. When trying to let off the gas, the car lurched forward almost plowing into the car in front of me. This occurred on 06/20/2012. During summer 2011, this same type of behavior occurred 4 different times. The entire process begins with the car being at a complete stop, then when letting off the gas, the car's engine rev's and the car lurches forward requiring the driver to slam on the breaks from hitting other drivers/pedestrians. When the vehicle does this lurching forward motion, several red lights come on the instrument panel and also the computer reads an error of "failsafe engine mode". power steering, power brakes have been lost while this event occurs as well. Seems as if it could be affected by warmer weather because I have owned the vehicle two years and have only had this happen during warmer (90 degree or more) weather. During summer 2011, two occurrences happened that also almost caused collisions. The first time was on a summer night in a parking garage. As I was coming into a stop in a parking space, the engine lurched forward and came approximately 4-5 inches from hitting a concrete wall. During the other occurrence, I was stopping at a red light and came close to running over a pedestrian due to lurching from car. When car enters "failsafe engine mode' and lurches forward, car must be parked and restarted for the vehicle to run normally again. Also, it only happens at low speeds (I.e. when slowing the car below 5 mph or first beginning to accelerate the car while still below 5 mph). Other owners that have experienced this same issue can be found here: and also:

- Centreville, MD, USA

Jun 162012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Throttle body malfunction. Engine reves up while placing the car in drive or reverse without touching the gas pedal, up to 1.5 on the RPM's on the speedometer. This is very scary, a child crossed in front of me while I was waiting at a stop sign. Foot was on the brake but all of a sudden it just reved up. It lunged forward and I hd to really put that break on. Scared me and the child to. I bought the car new and had all service done from the Ford dealer in the service person there told my husband that this part "throttle body" was made by the same manufacturer that made the Toyota parts that went bad "sticking gas pedals" ? and that Toyota recalled this dangerous issue and fixed it. Unless my husband misunderstood this gentleman, which I don't think he did. I spoke to Ford and placed a complaint and they told me that there had been complaints, but there was no recall issued as yet, but hold onto my receipt in case there is a recall issued in the future. This will cost $850, "which I feel should be picked up by Ford". pressing normally on the breaks is not good enough, you have to almost put it to the floor so that you do not move and pray that it doesn't lunge forward in the transition from break to gas pedal. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- New Port Richey, FL, USA