2005 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 112016

Five Hundred

Estaba manejando hacia mi trabajo Y me aparecio en el panel failsafe engine mode, no pude seguir manejando mas por que me estaba fallando el andar del auto.

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Jul 072016

Five Hundred

I will never buy another Ford vehicle ever again!!!!!! I own a 2005 Ford Five hundred there was a recall in 2012 on the throttle body, a Ford dealer supposably cleaned the throttle body, well now its not driveable. We have since talked to several Ford dealers including Ford Motor Company, they all said it was our responsibility to fix the problem. I do not think it should be my responsibility to pay for this since the part was recalled !!! the car could stall at anytime while driving putting myself and my family at risk, I don't think much of this automobile company for not standing behind there product, I will never recommend a Ford vehicle to friends, family or even my worst enemy never never again!!!!

- Covington, OH, USA

Jul 202015

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the vehicle hesitated to shut off. The instrument panel illuminated and loses power. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body was stuck open and the ECM needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired however the recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,585.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Dec 122012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle was shifted out of park and the RPM gauge fluctuated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the RPM surge failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 101,000. The VIN was unavailable. MA 10/25/15

- Boilings Springs , SC, USA

May 012015

Five Hundred

I was in heavy traffic and the car just stalled out on me while sitting at a light. Had to put my hazards on and try to restart car, restarted and then as soon as I put it into drive it stalled again. This happened 3-4 times until I could move to the next light and stop and go through the whole process all over again. Finally got on the highway and got home. Thought it was a fluke. Happened a second time while picking up children from daycare. Stalled out while at low RPM and would not restart. Had to have it towed. Had fuel filter replaced. Happened a third time at the store. Had to have it towed. Towed it to the dealer and the dealer spent over 6 hours to come to the conclusion that throttle body needed to be cleaned and PCM reprogrammed/updated. Without much confidence, they returned the car to me and said they could not replicate the problem. Drove it for a day and then had the same problem in traffic when at low RPM, with children in car at intersection car stalled out! finally got it started by holding brake and pushing on accelerator while putting it into drive so that it would not stall out. Drove it home and have not taken it out since. Expect the throttle body needs to be replaced but don't want to spend any more money on "diagnostics" when Ford knows this is a problem part and they need to stand behind it!!!!! they have put my family at risk more than once and they need to fix this problem before someone gets hurt.

- Fairfield, VT, USA

Apr 012015

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Spark plugs have backed out of the aluminum head in this vehicle twice now. This second time, it was a plug in the back head hard to reach and it pulled some of the threads out with it. These aluminum heads should be recalled and replaced with steel heads.

- Grafton, WV, USA

Feb 092015

Five Hundred 6-cyl

One day driving my Ford Five hundred as I am gettin on the freeway the car didnt accelerate effectively activating RPM surges but the car wouldn't speed more than 30mph doing so taking long nearly causing a accident in addition to slowing flow of traffic after finally getting home and parked the next day the car didn't start it would crank but wouldn't start I had a mechanic come look at the car everything was in order the PCM would also click when trying to start after doing research I discovered NHTSA had a recall for Ford Five hundreds 12N03 and in the summary it included throttle and PCM reprogramming and cleaning or replacing the throttle body. Therefore I brought the car to a Ford dealership and they confirmed theses being the cars issues however Ford dealership said that my PCM needed to be replaced not reprogrammed which is not covered under 12N03 protection program.

- New York, NY, USA

Jan 012013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. While driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently and there was a sudden increase of engine rpms. In addition, the vehicle would suddenly stall and the fail safe engine sensor indicator illuminated on several occasions. The dealer cleaned the throttle body to remedy the failure, but the failure recurred approximately one year later. The manufacturer was notified of the failures, but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Tavares, FL, USA

Aug 222014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Throttle/accelerator the car unexpectedly accelerates without pushing the pedal. I have almost hit vehicles and pedestrians. It appears to be getting worse and more dangerous.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 212014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I was driving in town going about 40 mph when the car lost all power, then engine failsafe mode displayed on the information center and a little wrench was also displayed. With no power steering, I had to pull over quickly in lunchtime traffic. After stopping the car, I waited a few seconds and restarted it. No problems with it until the next day when the check engine light came on. I have also noticed a mechanical smell coming from the ac. It appeared, at first, that this problem had come out of nowhere when I suddenly remembered two occasions when the rpms suddenly stuck on 3000 and would not stop until I put the car in neutral. Also, when using cruise control, the whole car shakes and stutters slightly when going up or down very slight inclines.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 082014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Tried to pull out on to hwy. The fail safe light came on and shut down engine. Could not steer or control car at all, was very close to having a bad accident.

- Greeneville, TN, USA

May 042014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I just purchased a 05 Ford Five hundred and was on my way from California to Georgia. As I was driving I noticed that when it would shift it would rev up even while slowing down. I also noticed that if the ac was on it got worse. I started doing research on this problem and found that I was not the only one having this problem. I have 4 children, I'm disabled and on a very fixed income and buying a vehicle that is safe is a must. Unfortunately, due to this problem, it is not safe I asked them what it was going to take for them to issue a recall, injury or even a death, and his response was that it was not up to them but up to the nhts. I have done a lot of research on this problem and there are many more people with these vehicles that have the same problem. I don't think the consumers should be liable to fix a defective part. Even a mechanic at a Ford dealership said that he doesn't know why they just don't replace it instead. Please help fix this problem before someone has to pay not with money but with there life! if I had the money I would replace it and have the ECM updated but that is not an option for me due to my finances. Please put out a recall on the throttle body and make the updates on the system free. Haven't we paid enough for our vehicles? these are things that are not due to negligence but defectiveness of a part. The company that made the throttle body is no longer in business so that should tell you something. And the updates shouldn't cost if it makes the vehicle run like it should. I believe if all owners of these vehicles come together we can actually fix this deadly problem. Why should someone have to pay with their life just for somebody to become aware of this deadly, defective part. So please help! they say the recalls come from you, so issue a recall and include the ECM update that goes with it. Thank you, concerned owner with children

- Jackson, GA, USA

Jun 162014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Only had the car for five months driving down the street the check engine light came out car stopped in the middle of the street with my children in it and wouldn't start up..worst car I've ever bought second major incident that has happened since I got the should be a recall major safety violation.

- Wichita, KS, USA

May 172014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

On the interstate headed towards denver, after about an hour, when to accelerate from about 70mph to ascend up the hills, the engine rpms accelerate, however, it feels that the transmission is disengaged (slipping) with no power to the drivetrain resulting in a drastic loss of speed. This happened numerous times in efforts to regain control and maintain speed. This was extremely hazardous as traffic was somewhat congested, and other drivers are expecting me to accelerate, however, vehicle was in a decelerating mode. This was only with light pressure to the accelerator. It sounded as if the gears had stripped in the transmission. We turned around and headed home, auto would not allow speeds over 60mph. Later the same happened at speeds of 35-40 on local roads. These transmissions are extremely dangerous. Ford knows of this problem and refuses to do anything about them.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 052013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Approximately two months after service performed under NHTSA campaign PE11018 the vehicle began to accelerate irregularly and then it placed itself into "fail safe" mode and illuminated the check engine light. Vehicle was returned to the Ford dealer that performed the service and they determined that the electric throttle control was at fault but was not associated with the service they performed on the same component just weeks earlier. Dealer contacted Ford Motor Co and they also claimed the two were not related regardless of the similar claims found online.

- Whately, MA, USA

Apr 092013

Five Hundred

I bought this car a year ago through rondupratt used cars in January 2012 car seemed to drag a little but didn't pay much attention to is as summer came around tried to use the ac it only blew cold on the freeway I just thinking it needed to be serviced buy the time I got the ac charged it was winter again. Buy March of next year the car started doing this weird shaking at every stop light and every stop sign the car would start to shake in April a letter comes in the mail explaining the car was being recalled due to the cars RPM idle surging took the car to fairfield Ford an when I got the car back it was worse then it. Had ever been so I decided to go pay rondupratt to diagnostic the car the said where I took the car to didn't perform the recall and the car needed an ac compressor and an egr valve I have gotten the egr valve replaced an the same day the car wouldn't go in to gear so confused on why they are allowed to sell cars that they know are experiencing theses problems and rant willing to do anything to fix the problem.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the vehicle stalled without warning and shifted into reversed independently. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

May 062011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Ford 500 in 2010 from freeway Ford in bloomington, mn. The first incident that I had was when my boyfriend was driving at speeds of 70 mph when all the sudden my vehicle went into engine fail safe mode and lost acceleration. With speeds of 70 mph and 5 lanes of traffic we are lucky that nothing worse followed. This problem would come up again at random times. A more recent incident was I took my vehicle to the dealership to have them clean the throttle body and reset the module. Since that was taken care of my car has now worsened. It has gone into fail safe mode 5 times in one month. My car will not accelerate normal and when I start it there are times where my RPM are running higher than normal.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 162013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

2005 Ford Five hundred. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle throttle body problems. The consumer stated while driving on the highway on a cold and snowy day, she was suddenly faced with the vehicle having no power. She was able tog et off the road, shut the vehicle off and re-started it. When the consumer returned to the highway, she drove a short distance, and the same thing happened. She was able to drive to the dealer and they performed the necessary services and recall. However, one week later, the same thing happened again. Without warning, the vehicle had no power. The dealer replaced the throttle body.

- Petoskey, MI, USA

Jul 102012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

One day in June I was pulling up to a store parking space rolling roughly 5mph. I had my foot on the brake, I was about to stop. Without touching the gas my 2005 Ford Five hundred lunged at the building as if the throttle was stuck wide open! I had to push the break as hard as I could to keep it from crashing into the store! Ford should have a recall on this issue! it is extremely dangerous! this has happened to many Ford Five hundred owners! last month in January my Five hundred had other issues. I was driving 35mph and all of a sudden my car had no power, I gave it gas and it would growl but no power. I had to pull over and shut the car off. One restarted it returned to normal but the wrench icon light was on the dash. I have also had an idling problem. While at idle my car would sputter. The RPM's were low and it would idle rough and surge from low to high, I tried hitting the gas pedal and the car stalled! again other Ford Five hundred owners also experienced these issues! Ford its time to step up and do a recall!!!!

- Strafford, NH, USA