2006 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Five Hundred:

2006 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 042011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

This Ford Five hundred surges or revs up the engine, in forward or reverse, when driving at slow speeds, usually into parking spaces or at red lights. This is a dangerous situation because we have no warning that it is about to happen. I have noticed it is worse if the A/C is on. We have avoided several accidents by slamming on the brake, it will even continue to surge if the brake pedal is held hard to the floor. The vehicle started doing this within the first 150 miles that we owned it. The incidents are unpredictable and dangerous.

- Longview , TX, USA

Jun 082012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I was approaching a red light and as I lifted my foot off the brake pedal..............the car accelerated abruptly and I was unable to stop causing me to pass red light, almost striking an oncoming vehicle that was making a left hand turn and driving onto sidewalk. Fortunately no one was hurt and an accident was avoided due to my quick response. The vehicle has accelerated abruptly on several other occasions. I was parked in a publics parking lot when I put my vehicle in reverse the vehicle once again accelerated almost hitting parked vehicle behind me. I was advised the throttle sensor was defective on 2005 & 2006 Ford Five hundred models and no recall yet! this defect causes vehicle to accelerate abruptly (even when parked) or not accelerate at all! there have been many reports regarding this issue and nothing has been done about it. When a life is lost or someone is severely injured..................is that when some action will be taken? according to reports even if the part gets replaced it does not guarantee it will not go bad again. Repairs have been known to cost between $450 to $750.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 222012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning lamp. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, which located the failure at the egr valve. The egr valve was replaced but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to stall while driving. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 127,500 and the current mileage was 127, 6000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jun 012010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I have owned my 2006 Ford 500 for 5 yrs and have had and issue for the last 2 yrs. While braking, the car will lurch and I mean really jump forward (or also in reverse) while RPM's surge/rev extremely high causing me to press very, very hard on the brakes at times slamming down to keep the car from going out of control by itself. Sometimes the car will stall when the RPM's are dropping down. This happens at different times of day and seems to be more often when it is warmer. It has happened while slowing into a parking space, backing up, pulling away from stopping at a light or stop sign. It is completely random and you never know when or if it will happen.I am always extremely cautious when there are people around when I slow down to less then 15mph or back up. There is something mechanically wrong with this car. It should never be in control of moving by itself when the brakes are applied. It is a very scary situation and can happen multiple times a day. I have taken in to dealership and explained these "symptoms" but they just say they don't know what it could be and will have to check it out while it is happening. I would like Ford to take some responsibility as this seems to be happening to most 500's and it is well known by many but not acknowledged by Ford. This could be a very serious situation if someone is within 15ft when the car goes out of control all by itself and the driver is not ready. Please watch out if you are next to a Ford 500.

- Mesa, AZ, USA