2006 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Five Hundred:

2006 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Oct 092007

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward abnormally while stopped at a traffic stop. The contact mentioned that the wrench warning lamp illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that while making a left turn, the vehicle came to a complete stop although the accelerator pedal was being depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the throttle body control was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Feb 212012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Initially car would stall when cruise control was turned on and speed was above 55mph. After returning to carmax for repairs car continued to stall without the cruise being turned on. Then car began accelerating with foot on brake when changing gears from a dead stop. After 3 repairs by Ford was advised issue was not any of the prior items fixed it was the throttle body and it was a known issue but no recall has ever been done on it.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Aug 012012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

In multiple incidents, on hot summer days, the car has suddenly accelerated (with no foot on the accelerator) when backing out of parking spaces and sometimes when put into drive right after the sudden acceleration in reverse. It has required rapid, firm braking to prevent the car from hitting other vehicles. About a week after the problem started with this car, it started to happen occasionally with my other Ford Five hundred (a 2005 model with a little less mileage). A separate complaint has been filed on that vehicle. Research online has revealed that hundreds of Ford Five hundred owners have reported this issue and that the throttle body is the likely culprit.

- Diamond Springs, CA, USA

Aug 022012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The car lunges forward or backwards when shifting gears also lunges when coming to a stop very violently. I drive with plenty of space in font of me so I haven't hit anything I'm surprised no one else has either.

- Laudehill, FL, USA

Aug 062008

Five Hundred 6-cyl

At random, with the foot on the brake and not on the accelerator, the car will rev up and lunge forward (or backward if in reverse) violently. The distance it moves is enough to put other cars and pedestrians in danger, especially when it does this several times in a row. This problem is most noticeable in hot weather with the A/C turned on.

- Farmington, MI, USA

Feb 072012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would lunge forward or backward whenever the cruise control was engaged or the transmission was shifted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Feb 222012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

While driving the car RPM gauge was moving upward even though I was still at steady speed. When I slowed and stopped it appeared to continue to lunge forward. I was able to control since I had some distance from the vehicle in front of me. By the time I reached my destination I was afraid that it had a mind of its own. It settled when I tried to park for it then cut off. There have been numerous events when the car lunged forward or cut off while driving and even when I put the car in reverse. I had three (3) motor mounts replaced and new battery along with the safety sensor. It costs more to repair than general maintenance. I see why they stopped making this car. Its dangerous! I am now in the process of getting the throttle body replaced which may not be under warranty. This car should be recalled or we should be compensated for repairs related to this problem.

- Mckeesport , PA, USA

Jun 022012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Engine surged unexpectedly causing temporary loss of control. This has been happening occasionally for several weeks while in drive at idle or when shifting into drive. I have found this issue to be widespread when checking forums on different websites. This is an unsafe condition that exists for many consumers with this model. A recall is needed so this dangerous situation is addressed.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Jul 312012

Five Hundred

I have a 2006 Ford Five hundred. I purchased it used in Jan 2012. My car continually lurches forward while sitting still. The air conditioner will not cool while idling if it is hot outside. I have also had issues with losing all power while driving down the freeway. I will be driving and all gauges will bottom out and then rev up to the highest. My rpms will drop down, the gas gauge will go to empty and at night all electrical lights and dashboard notifications will light up and then go off. I cannot use the air conditioner, radio or anything else when this happens. This is very dangerous and I believe Ford should be held accountable for not fixing this issue sooner! someone is going to get into a fatal accident because of this issue!!! losing all power and speed and then having the vehicle lurch forward is dangerous! #scaredmomof3babies!

- Colton, CA, USA

Jun 152012

Five Hundred 6-cyl Diesel

While pulling out of a parking space I had my foot on brake and put car in reverse. When I let my foot off brake the car lunged back and the rpms went up without my foot touching the gas. After finally fighting it to get it out of the parking spot and not hitting the car behind me I put it in drive. Once it was in drive it did the same thing. My foot was on the brake and it was lunging forward with my foot off the gas pedal. This happens all the time in parking lot and from a dead stop. It lunges and jumps at stop sign, red lights and low speed.

- Okc, OK, USA

Jul 252012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while reversing, the vehicle lunged backward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis and the throttle control was replaced. The manufacturer was notified, but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 71,229.....updated 08-24-12 the consumer shifted the vehicle into drive it then went into safe drive mode. When the vehicle was in reverse the consumer depressed the brake with both feet to no avail. 08/30/2012

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Jun 162011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Car accelerates suddenly without having foot on accelerator. It only happens in warm weather when the air conditioning is on. With my foot on the breaking when backing out of a parking space or pulling into garage the car suddenly accelerates. I can handle the problem because I know when to expect it, but I had planned to give this car to my soon to be licensed daughter and I don't want her having an accident or hitting another person.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Sep 012011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I would be stopped at a stop sign or red light and would push on the throttle to accelerate. The guy would not move at first then would "jump" and accelerate quickly. I never hit anyone because I was careful, but I took it into a Ford dealership to have them diagnose it. They claimed to know of the problem but would not cover it under warranty. I paid over $1,000 to have them replace my "throttle body."

- Valrico, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Five Hundred

The car had begun surging hard both in reverse and forward. It happens when stopping and when first putting it in gear. I've been fortunate to have not hit anything yet, but I am fearful that it might happen. I'm seeing a lot of other people having the exact same problem in several forums and websites. I do not understand why a recall has not been issued for this problem as it is obviously a serious manufacturer's defect.

- Whitmire, SC, USA

Jul 162012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that after shifting into gear the vehicle would move forward or backward without warning or activation. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 151,000.

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Jul 042012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward when the gear was placed into drive or reverse, the rpms increased and the failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 198,000 and the current mileage was 199,000.

- High Point , NC, USA

Jul 062012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My car lunges when the air is on and I come to complete stop in drive or when I put it in reverse it is dangerous lucky I havent backed into anything yet is this a Ford defect I called the dealership they want a $120 just to look at it they said there is no recall for this problem, but looking thru the internet I see the same problem with alot of other cars my year, something needs to be done before someone gets hurt !

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 102012

Five Hundred

1st issue: When the vehicle is at a stop light, the car feels like it's going to jump forward even while the brake is depressed. I worry about rear-ending the car in front of me. Then when the car is in park, the car begins to rev or idle high as if the accelerator has been pressed. 2nd issue: While in park or driving at low speeds of 30-35mph, the instrument panel quits working and the A/C stops as if the car was turned off. It'll then come back on and will continue to come on and off. The bad thing is that the hazard lights won't even work. There's no warning. We have already had the throttle body repaired last year in 2011 when we found out it's a common problem but not covered under warranty nor a recall issued.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 152012

- Greenwood, IN, USA

May 152012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

2006 Ford 500. The car will suddenly surge at idle...it also surges during gear shifts from park to drive and park to reverse. If you do not have your foot firmly on the brake pedal the car will suddenly surge forward. This can lead to damage of the vehicle or injury to a pedestrian. Arfc website has 125 reports of this problem. Seems to get worse around the 60-65,000 mile range....conveniently out of warranty. Taking car to dealer today for evaluation and repair.

- Collierville, TN, USA