1.5

2001 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Mar 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission started slipping and would not go in to gear. Went in and out of slipping gears. Shifted down to drive 2 and drive 1 to see if that would improve the slipping, but it did not. When shifting into gear, loud noise heard as well. The transmission was replaced by the local Honda dealership in 2008 at 108,000 due to an extension of the warranty which resulted from a 2006 class action lawsuit. I called the Honda dealership who replaced the transmission the first time and they informed me that the warranty on the 2nd transmission had expired because it was over the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. As a result of this issue, I had to buy another vehicle so that I could get back and forth to work. I had to rely on others to get me to work and back home for several days while looking for another vehicle. My Honda Odyssey is still sitting at my work parking lot because I am afraid if I try to drive it, it will strand me in traffic and cause an accident etc.

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Mar 102013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission stopped working so the van stopped moving. Any pressure on the gas paddle was like revving in neutral. After stopping the van for about a min and restarting, was able to engage the drive but it would fail after moving about 50 yards. Some research on the internet shows this seems to be a common problem with these models. The transmission on this vehicle was replaced a few years back.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Feb 152013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission slips when shifting gears. Honda says they won't fix the problem because they were aware of the problem and offered an extended 109,000 mile or 7 year warranty and my car is beyond this warranty coverage. The transmission problem will cost between about $3,000 for a rebuilt transmission or over $5,000 for a new one. The car is only worth about $5,000 if the transmission didn't have a problem now much less with this problem probably only about $1-2,000. There is a website here dedicated to this exact problem for Honda Odyssey with many frustrated Honda owners: www.odysseytransmission.com/.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Feb 152013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey in Aug 2001 and in June 2009 the check engine light came on at 98000 miles. Took it to willis Honda (the dealer I bought the car from ) and they said the transmission had to be replaced (within extended warranty (93 months & 109000 miles) on miles and 2 months outside the extended warranty on months. Honda agreed to foot half the cost ($1200) as a one time goodwill. Now it is 145000 miles and this winter since January (I live in NJ) I notice that when it is cold and the engine is cold and I start driving without warming up around 20-25 mph the engine revs (possibly because the gear shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd doesn't happen smoothly). Took it to the willis Honda who had installed the replacement transmission in June 2009 (36 month/36000 mile warranty). It is now little over 43 months and around 47000 miles on this transmission. They say that the transmission is slipping and will have to be replaced ($5500) and that replacing the fluid/flushing the transmission would not do anything. Are transmissions expected to last only 47000 miles. I think Honda is selling bad equipment.

- Columbus, NJ, USA

Jul 212008

Odyssey 6-cyl

Experienced initial transmission failure as erratic shifting, slipping, whining, and flashing "D" light. Transmission was replaced by Honda. Currently, at 118,000 miles, the remanufactured transmission is failing. This is 42, 000 miles and 4 years after it was replaced. Honda says that there is nothing they can do to help with another replacement. After speaking to a few transmission tech's, they have told me that there is a design flaw in the placement and material of the transmission filter which causes the failures.

- Capitola, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Odyssey

Transmission slams into gear and the D4 flashes and the tcs light and engine light are on constantly- was told we needed a new transmission. Did research on it and called Honda and they said that there are no recalls on this but it had an extended warranty that ended before I purchased it- as I am 2nd owner of vehicle. All other maintenance has been done on time or early I had it a year before the transmission started to do this. The Honda dealer tried to talk me into trading it in for a newer model for less payments than I was making on but I own it out right bought from them! they knew something was wrong with transmission and keep selling them!!!!

- Ruskin , FL, USA

Jan 292013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Driving to school about 25 mph, the tsc light and check engine light came on and P4 transmission light started to flash. The transmission would not shift into a higher gear. I tried to limp it back home and the transmission would not go forward. I had to drive in reverse one block to get it home. I plugged in my engine scan tool and it was reading a P0730 code. I called my mechanic and discussed it with him. His database indicates major transmission problems with Odyssey and that the resolution to this problem is a new transmission.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Dec 262012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear with abrupt change at 3rd gear. This is a sign of premature transmission wear that we have been fortunate not to have yet experienced that many owners of this type of vehicle have had. We are the original owners of the vehicle and it has been carefully maintained with all of the required maintenance items. We are surprised that this problem has not been the subject of a recall.

- Glencoe, IL, USA

Dec 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

We were driving from Indiana to Florida. About 100 miles from our destination the check engine and tcs warning lights came on. The transmission shifted erratically at low speeds and the engine revved highly between gears at low speeds. We took the vehicle to the Honda dealer and were told we needed a new transmission at a cost of more than $5,000.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

Dec 272012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Automatic transmission slipped and engine revved to a high RPM as I was pulling away from a traffic light. Used hazard lights to warn drivers behind me.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Dec 192012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Our van has 79,000 miles. Engine light came on 3 weeks ago to replace a pressure switch on the transmission. 2 days after replacement, engine light came on again, dealer tells us that whole transmission needs replacement. Total cost $6000. Called american Honda who acknowledged they'd issued a warranty extension up to 100,000 miles but limited to 7 years after complaints led to realization that transmission had problem. Despite our mileage being low, Honda refuses to help on these repairs. If Honda will warranty its product to 100,000 miles after realizing they have a problem, why should we not benefit from that even if our van is 10 years old? still only 79,000 miles on that transmission.

- Tiburon, CA, USA

Dec 142012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Started getting check engine light. Went to dealer and the diagnostic came with a transmission problem. Honda has a recall on the transmission issue as it seems like a known problem but they refuse to accept the fact that my vehicle would be part of the recall and have refused any financial assistance. The cost is approximately $5328.

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

Jun 182009

Odyssey 6-cyl

In June of 2009, the transmission failed, had it repaired at a Honda dealer - got a 3 year, 36K mile warranty. Transmission failed again in November 2012. Called Honda corporate and they said they will not do anything about it.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Aug 022012

Odyssey

While highway driving, the engine light came on. Lowered driving speed and continued driving to destination. Took van into a foreign auto repair shop. After checking the van using computer, I was told that there was a problem with the transmission. I would be able to travel home and encouraged to have the transmission looked at as soon as I returned.. returned the van to Honda dealer and was told that the repair/replacement of transmission would cost $6,000. Took van to an independent repair shop for transmission overhaul cost; $ 2,250.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 292012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Vehicle slipped out of gear while pulling out of a parking place, endangering pedestrians and personal property. The vehicle is well maintained and in working order with a minimum about of wear on the transmission and power train.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 252010

Odyssey 6-cyl

The engine & tcs light went on. Per the dealership perry motors.. all was ok - they changed the transmission fluid and said all was ok.. at 81,092 mile the tcs ligh & engine light went on again.. this time the transmission was slipping & we had to have it rebuilt- I tried going to the Honda dealership for help (weir canyon Honda)-they sent me to a transmission shop (less cost)where we had it rebuilt gave us a 2 yr warranty or 24,000 miles... at 91,000 miles the transmission went out again (unfortunately the shop where we had it repaired went out of business) so now it is being rebuilt at a cost of another cost of $3,000- $3,500.. I tried calling Honda for assistance but was told there was nothing they could do..

- Orange, CA, USA

Sep 042012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the transmission failed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for inspection where they stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the mileage on the vehicle was outside of the range for them to be able to assist. The failure mileage was 197,623.

- Lapeer, MI, USA

Jul 112012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission failure while driving. Sudden stop causing car to turn off in the middle of traffic. After restarting the car, transmission will not go into gear. Pushing the car to the side of the road on a busy street had to tow car back to home address. Transmission was recalled by Honda. Told me that it is safe to drive, unfortunately it wasn't leaving me stranded on busy road. Many incidents like this all with the same transmission failure.

- Richmond Hill, NY, USA

Aug 242012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Two transmission failures in 147K miles. First transmission failed at 83,000 and was replaced by Honda at no charge. The transmission they installed has now failed as well, after only 64,000 miles.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Aug 132012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the cruise control disengaged and the vehicle speed suddenly decreases without any warnings. The contact mentioned that she was unable to continue driving. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 163,000. Updated 10/25/2012

- Daniel Island , SC, USA