2001 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Oct 112013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Fourth transmission failure on a van I've owned since new. First one failed at approx. 55K miles, the second one at 96K miles, the third one at 122K miles and finally the fourth one at approx 155K mi. Ahm picked up the cost for the first two (they had an extended warranty up to 105K miles and I had also purchased the 7 year / 100K miles extended warranty). The third transmission cost me $1000 for labor, but ahm paid for the transmission. The warranty on this third transmission installed in the car was 3 years or 36K miles. It failed again under 36K miles, but a few months over the 3 year mark (expired in June '13, and it failed at beginning of Oct '13). It left my family stranded 90 miles North of san diego late at night. While clearly the letter of the law is with ahm as the warranty period indeed expired, I think I had windshield wipers that lasted longer that the Honda transmission on this van. As a side note, this was a good car and we had minimal issues with it other than the disposable transmissions. Ahm should figure out that pushing out a badly designed transmission (based on what I've read) is not a way for getting repeat customers. I had an Accord (which was ok) and I still have my S2000 (which I love), but I will never buy a Honda ever again.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 222003

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Odyssey. The contact was driving 50 mph when the transmission failed to operate with the illumination of the check engine warning indicator. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the transmission was replaced but the failure later recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 302013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have a Honda Odyssey - 92000 miles - when the transmission issues started. Check engine and tcs lights came on and D4 light blinking. Called Honda and was told that the car was outside the warranty period, but within the 100,000 miles. Honda had recalled this model and extended the warranty to 7 years, which means they did put faulty transmissions in these models. But now they are not honoring their warranty. Why limit the warranty by time. There are many families that do not use the car to do 100,000 miles in 7 years. Transmissions issues are based on use so why limit the warranty to time of 7-years. It should be limited by mileage. Very disappointed by Honda.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Sep 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

After 137,000 miles the transmission in my Odyssey went bad. I put a rebuilt 2001 transmission in it, and guess what? you got it! that one went bad after 300 mi. I got zero help from Honda America and as I'm sure you know, as I do now, this is a very common defect in the '99-01 trans. Not that I'm expecting anything from this, but just another brick in the wall. I will never buy anything Honda again. Buy american.

- Bluemont , VA, USA

Aug 192013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Driving in I-78 West and speed suddenly decreased while RPM increased. Steered over to shoulder and stopped. Shifted car into park. Then I shifted into drive and van would not move. RPM increased again. Van towed off highway and then eventually home. Transmission shot per mechanic. Transmission previously replaced under warranty at 56,125 miles. Currently at 143,000 miles. Honda will not provide any additional assistance. Totally unhappy with Honda and will not purchase another one.

- Garwood, NJ, USA

Jul 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

No crash. Engine light came on. Local mechanic diagnosed transmission, said there had been a recall or warranty extension. Local Honda dealer refused to do anything (as the car was past the warranty extension) except lower cost of replacement by about 20% (from $5400 to $4500). Had current transmission repaired by another firm, cost $2900. We had never received notice of warranty extension. Car had been brought to dealer for timing belt replacement during period of warranty extension (July 2009); dealer "neglected" to inform me of problem, notwithstanding entry of VIN into their database. The terms of the class action suit require notification. Mailing a notice is a good start, but if a car affected comes in, the dealer has a responsibility to notify the owner. We never received notice by the mail. This was not done, and I think it's criminal. I spoke with a representative of Honda America, who could not have been less interested in my situation, and offered me nothing. I'm sending an account of this to lisa madigan, attorney general of il. I will not buy another Honda.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 062013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The car slowed down and would not accelerate. The engine lights and other lights came on. The mechanic has informed me that I will need to have the transmission replaced. Again for the 3rd time. And this after having the transmission flushed in February of 2013. The transmission had to be replaced in 2007, 2011 and now 2013. I had to pay out of pocket for the 2011 and now they say for the 2013. There is something wrong with the vehicle that the transmissions are failing so soon. The first two times the vehicle completely stopped in traffic.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Jun 082013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle jerked abnormally. The contact mentioned that the tcs and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Randall Stown , MD, USA

Nov 122012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Check engine light came on, and I find out I need a new transmission. I've done the regular maintenance while I have owned this vehicle, so this is very disappointing to say the least. I was told Honda last a long time - not true.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jun 022013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Driving 70 mph on interstate 77 vehicle suddenly had a RPM surge over 5rpms and propulsion was lost we were in fast lane and had to coast over to side of interstate. No warning of trans failure. Car would not go forward only reverse worked. The situation was very dangerous as semi's and other cars were behind us and beside us. The car just lost any forward movement. The transmission that failed was a recall replacement done by Honda dealer (stoke's Honda charleston, South Carolina) on 4-29-2008 !!!!! at the time of failure car had 150,000. At the time of recall transmission replacement car had 103,000 miles on it we got 47,000 miles out the transmission that Honda replaced in 2008. No warning lights no signs of transmission failure. It just died. Dealer told us $5000 to repair. Honda rep said sorry

- Summerville, SC, USA

May 242013

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving uphill at 75 mph, the transmission failed to operate with the illumination of the check engine warning indicator. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road and then towed to a safe location. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 172012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission slips from standstill; and occasionally at low speeds. Had transm. Lubed and "filter changed" but filter may not have been changed. Is internal? maint lite goes on and off, mainly on. Tcs light goes on and off, mainly off.

- N. Richland Hills, TX, USA

May 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I bought this car with 82082 mileage on it, and now the mileage is 82867, check engine light is on, went to the mechanic, they pulled out P0740 issue, which according to them is a transmission issue, according to the reviews found online it is a known issue with Honda Odyssey 1999-2004 model. If this is a known issue Honda should either recall all those model or fix the problem, otherwise customer like me would get ripped off.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Apr 122013

Odyssey 6-cyl

In 2009, at 90,000 miles, the transmission failed in the 2001 Honda Odyssey we bought new. The dealer negotiated with Honda a goodwill replacement of a rebuilt transmission where we had to pay $1471.68. We were never told of the extended warranty that should have covered entirely the first failed transmission. Since owning this vehicle, we have spent thousands of dollars on scheduled and preventative maintenance on our cars at the Honda dealership. On April 12, 32,000 miles later, the rebuilt transmission began to slip intermittently, then seriously on my drive home from work. It slipped in lower gears and would not go into higher gears. I barely escaped being rear ended on the way home and was lucky to make it home. When I contacted Honda America 7 days ago, it took Honda over 1 week before telling us that they would not cover anything since we were outside the warranty period of 36 months or 36,000 miles. We also own a 2001 Honda Accord brought from the same dealer on the same day. We also experienced the same failed transmission at @ 90,000 miles with the Accord also and were given a goodwill offer by Honda that offset the cost we had to pay. Our 2001 Accord is a ticking bomb with 120,000 miles and we will need to get rid of it before it fails also. Apparently the original and the rebuilt transmissions are defective. I read online that Honda did not rebuild the entire transmission, but only replaced the gears that failed. According to an expert transmission mechanic, there is an endemic problem within the transmission caused by a soft disk component that runs very hot that causes gears to be chewed up and eventually fail. This means that rebuilt defective transmissions are being reinstalled in the cars which will fail again because the component causing the problem was not replaced and it continues to damage the gears. What recourse is there?

- Grosse Pointe Park, MI, USA

Jun 152012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle decelerated and suddenly stalled. Additionally, the instrument panel lighting failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician advised the contact that the transmission and the electrical system computer would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Wimauma, FL, USA

Mar 222013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Shifting irregular and at improper rpms.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Mar 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving on highway in cruise at 70 mph. I felt a sudden loss of power and turned the cruise off. Within 2 seconds, I felt the gas pedal does not have power either. I could smell fumes inside the car. I pulled over to safety. Luckily for that speed, I was able to safely pull over without getting reared. 1st transmission replaced on my van at 89K miles. Now transmission failed again at 156K miles. So that means the new transmission failed before even 60K miles. Now the new replacement I am told is going to cost 4000$. the van resale value itself is not even that much. Will Honda pitch in to replace the faulty transmission for free?

- Sherman, TX, USA

Jan 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission has started to slip real bad when it shifts from first to second gear.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Mar 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission started slipping and would not go in to gear. Went in and out of slipping gears. Shifted down to drive 2 and drive 1 to see if that would improve the slipping, but it did not. When shifting into gear, loud noise heard as well. The transmission was replaced by the local Honda dealership in 2008 at 108,000 due to an extension of the warranty which resulted from a 2006 class action lawsuit. I called the Honda dealership who replaced the transmission the first time and they informed me that the warranty on the 2nd transmission had expired because it was over the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. As a result of this issue, I had to buy another vehicle so that I could get back and forth to work. I had to rely on others to get me to work and back home for several days while looking for another vehicle. My Honda Odyssey is still sitting at my work parking lot because I am afraid if I try to drive it, it will strand me in traffic and cause an accident etc.

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Mar 102013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission stopped working so the van stopped moving. Any pressure on the gas paddle was like revving in neutral. After stopping the van for about a min and restarting, was able to engage the drive but it would fail after moving about 50 yards. Some research on the internet shows this seems to be a common problem with these models. The transmission on this vehicle was replaced a few years back.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA