1.5

2001 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Nov 212016

Odyssey

Driver able to shut off ignition and remove key while transmission gear selector still in drive. My teen drivers that are learning to drive have done this numerous times, even after I have pointed it out to them. The vehicle safety interlocks should prevent this scenario but in this vehicle, the safety feature has failed

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 102016

Odyssey

The ignition key can be removed from the ignition with the gear selector still in drive. My teenage drivers have on several occasions left the van in the driveway with the van still in drive, ignition off. Luckily, our home's driveway is flat and we have not had an issue of the van rolling away - yet!

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 152007

Odyssey

I am single owner of Honda Odyssey 2001, I started having transmission problems right after my warranty expired, at 125,000 miles. Had to replace it, but still slipping. I am very angry and frustrated, will never buy a Honda again

- Glendora, CA, USA

Nov 202015

Odyssey

While I was driving the van on a hwy the rpms went up and the van would not go as if the transmission was totally gone. I got pulled off to the side of the road and had to call a wrecker service to come and pick us up. The van has been sitting for about a week. I got in it and it will go in a lower gear but only until the van warms up then it will not move at all. It cost me $200. To have it towed home and I was told by a transmission shop that it would cost me anywhere from $2500 to $4500 to fix the problem. That is more than the van is apparently worth. I have spent my christmas money on just the towing. I need help in getting it fixed I am a single mom with 2 small children. I did not have my children in the van with me but it was me and my ex mother in law and it was night and a mountainous hwy. If I had not gotten my van off to the side of the road there could have been a very bad accident as there are a lot of cars and big rig trucks that drive on that road.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Mar 152015

Odyssey 6-cyl

Without warning no dash lights nor check engine lights my transmission failed in heavy traffic..a slight up rev and then complete failure of transmission....just avoided being rearended as the car slowed quickly on a rise and just made it to the shoulder in traffic..fluid levels were normal but fluid had a odor...my mechanic towed the car and drained and filled the trans (not convertor) to verify condition..trans will move in reverse at high RPM. This transmission was replaced 6/6/05 at 37400 miles under warranty and has been serviced and topped off as needed until now..in heavy traffic serious injury or death could have occured if not for observant driver behind me..I understand from transmission shops and rebuilders that Honda transmission are built to fail with very poor design (no filtering of fluids, ,and very weak clutch assemblies) to repair this vehicle it will cost $3800-to $5000 for new transmission and $3000 for a reliable rebuilt (jasper) this car was purchased to replace my 2004 freestar with transmission failures three times within 75.000 miles.

- Woodstock , GA, USA

Dec 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

2001 Honda Odyssey, purchased with 83,610 miles from Subaru of exeter. June 23, 2008, 104,527 miles. It was my understanding that warranty covered up to 109,000 miles. The transmission was replaced under recall warranty at dover auto world, Honda service, due to check engine and tcs lights being on. Transmission came with a 3yr/36,000 warranty. December 1, 2014, 184,148 miles (80K on 2nd transmission), difficult to shift into reverse and drive sometimes engine slips before finally engaging into gear, over the next week, check engine light, tcs and D4 light flashing light on. Transmission fault code P0780, diagnosed, drove van two more days when transmission failed. Towed to local in town mechanic, given estimate for a re-manufactured transmission + labor $4,500. Spoke with Honda Motors of America, on Dec 18th 2014 provided with all requested information, the response provided by Honda is that the van had exceeded warranty and I would need to take the liability and pay for it. Honda customer service where surprised that it was replaced in 2008 under warranty. Honda claimed the mileage limit was 100,000. Bottom line is no help, spoke with local Honda dealership...they could not help. Since Honda of America had denied me. I agree that I should cover a portion of the cost (labor) but Honda should cover for materials since its their product and they should stand behind it.

- Milton, NH, USA

Jun 282010

Odyssey

Our cars have always been taken care of. We bring them in for all required maintenance and do not drive aggressively. We are the only owner of the van and we bought it brand new. Then in 2010, accelerating from a stoplight, the van would not shift up and drove at about 30 mph. We brought the van into the Honda dealership who said we needed a transmission repair or replacement. They offered to do that for a hefty price and would not offer any financial help because we had bought the van on an air force base in germany. They stated that they could not tell if the van was raced or not, which it never was. An independent shop rebuilt the transmission and put in a new torque converter. They also included all the upgrades to the tranny. The van now has 153,000miles on it and we are hoping that it keeps driving well because that transmission repair is so expensive.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Apr 012013

Odyssey

Ongoing problems with sliding door, seat belt and electrical issues. At 160K replaced transmission for $5000. Not happy at all.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Aug 152013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was on my way to work and came to a complete stop at a red stop light. The light had turned green and I proceeded to go and pushed the gas, the vehicle would not move. I turned the van off and on by the ignition a few times thinking it was something other than a transmission gear issue. I sat there for a few minutes after turning the vehicle off and turned it back on, it caught gear so I proceeded towards work. Luckily I was only a half block from my job. As I was pulling in the transmission had slipped again and I barely coasted into a parking space. I had the van towed to a transmission specialist and they flushed the transmission, reset the system and told me that I was going to need to have it rebuilt. The transmission shop told me that this particular vehicle has these issues and it has been a recurring issue with this make and model.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Apr 282001

Odyssey 6-cyl

2001 Honda Odyssey. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The appeared to be a minimal amount of sporadic transmission slippage between the 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer stated the slipping was normal, because it meant the transmission needed to be serviced. The dealer stated the fluid replacement, would take care of the slipping problem. The vehicle exhibited the same problem 20,000 miles later, except to a greater degree. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, where they stated, the transmission was a concern, and the warranty was extended to cover a possible failure. The dealer stated it should have been addressed when the vehicle was in for service previously. However, it wasn't and the warranty had since expired.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Jul 042014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On 4th of July 2014 - (invoice of $4000 on independence day) - was driving from family wedding events and suddenly feeling drive shift and slipping gears issue. I had to slow down to avoid accidents from this Honda's faulty transmission it is major safety issue can lock up front wheels on highway and can create major accident... now need to do replacement/rebuilt of power train (transmission) to fix following issue " flared 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, long park to reverse or park to drive engagement times, or in extreme cases no takeoff in forward or reverse after start up." Also engine light and tcs lights stay on... because of Honda's faulty power train I got to come up with $4000-$4500 to make my family and other people on road safe...

- West Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 242014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission needed replacement at 81,681 miles, $5026, all work done by Honda dealership 4/13/11. Now at 142,000 Honda transmission failed again. Was driving on freeway at 65mph when engine lost power. Coasted to side of freeway.

- Rescue, CA, USA

Jun 162014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Initial transmission failure at 100,000 miles. Honda made good on warranty and replaced with a rebuilt transmission. The second transmission has now failed at 170,000 miles - after only 70,000 miles of use.

- Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Jun 062014

Odyssey

I realized that it wouldn't accelerate after being at a stop light. When it finally did it would jerk between gears. The check engine came on for the 2nd time (the 1st last week for a short that was fixed). Then my tcs came on and wouldn't turn off. The transmission is erratic and previously had issues between 2nd and 3rd. Now I'm told I need a new transmission. It has less than 96,000 miles. I'm a single mom w/ 2 kids I can't afford that. I got this van from a relative after my pathfinder (w nearly 300,000 miles on it) had an engine gasket issue I couldn't afford to have fixed because the engine had to be broken down. I'm seeing that this is a common issue for 12 yrs worth of models" why is there no warning? when I looked at other cars there were statements with them about issues. Honda needs to fix this. This is horrible quality management. A mini van is a kid mobile - how would Honda like the press if kids are hurt because this goes out when kids are in it" I get my van serviced by a mechanic every 2 mos - I take care of my cars. My last one was 17 yrs old. I won't buy Honda again if this is representative of their quality management and product quality. I've never had to replace a transmission under 225,000 miles before on any make or model.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

May 252014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On the evening of Sunday, May 25, 2014, I was driving on a freeway with my young son going approximately 55mph. As I began to ascend a slight hill onto a bridge, the tcs and check engine lights both illuminated. As I pressed on the gas pedal to accelerate up the hill, the rpms shot up but the car would not propel forward. I managed to make it over the bridge going the speed limit. After I began the descent down, the car would not accelerate whatsoever. I then coasted down to a stop in a fast food restaurant parking lot. My car was later towed and seen at a repair shop. I was informed that my entire transmission would need to be replaced. Prior to the incident on the bridge, there were no signs or warnings leading up to the failure of the transmission. What's more is approximately 8 years ago, the same issue happened with the vehicle (on a freeway, although not at an incline). The transmission needed to be replaced that time as well.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

May 102014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Check engine light on at startup. Honda dealership diagnosed problem as 2nd gear transmission slippage. Recommended a replacement transmission at appox $4000 or rebuilt or used at about $2500. Still thinking over my decision.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Mar 222014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Engine light is on. When took to marin Honda was told I need a new transmission at 74,000 miles.

- Kentfield, CA, USA

Mar 282014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission failed while driving.

- Chatham, NJ, USA

Jan 092014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The automatic transmission began slipping at around 25 mph with D3 flashing and tcs light indicator on. The van began loosing power while driving and revolution high in the power train. This is the rebuild transmission I replaced in November 19, 2010. So it has been more than 3 years and the warranty from Honda manufacture has expired.

- Newark, CA, USA

Dec 232013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Replacement transmission failure - vehicle has had original transmission replaced at 56,297 miles on odometer. Replacement transmission failed at 109,474 miles on odometer. Time elapsed between transmission failures - 6.2 years each. Miles on unit 53,170 miles. Honda usa will do nothing to assist owner in replacing transmission.

- Guilford, CT, USA