2001 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Mar 212007

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission has failed 3 times while vehicle was in use. Failures occurred at 83,000 miles (2007), 117,000 miles (2010) and 135,000 miles (2011). Accidents were avoided in all three cases, but could easily have occurred as car was in highway use surrounded by other cars/ trucks when transmission locked up. Honda has not reimbursed any of these failures and in the first instance told vehicle owner that car was outside of warranty period, even though (we recently discovered) there had been an extension on the transmission warranty period to 109,000 miles and car was only at 83,000 miles at that time. Transmission is currently only 7,000 miles from last transmission replacement and is exhibiting gear changing problems currently. Vehicle owner is reluctant to sell vehicle along to another owner, knowing of the potential safety issue should the transmission fail for a fourth time. Honda should recall these 2001 vehicles, as they did for 2002-2004 models. There is no rationale for having excluded the 2001 year. They are not safe to drive.

- Pelham, NY, USA

Oct 022011

Odyssey 6-cyl

2001--only 63000 miles. Driving down a city street early October when I notice the tcs light and D3 indicator light flashing and the check engine light on. Could no longer accelerate, van would move only very very slowly. Had it towed to local Honda dealer. They diagnosed it as a tranny failure, replacement would cost $5300. Did the dance with service rep, etc. Got american Honda involved, had to ask, offered replacement for $4320. Told them no thanks, will never buy a Honda again (unless they own this) and will discourage anyone else from doing so. They were actually going to charge me $80 for giving me the diagnosis that I now owned an $8200 paper weight! when I objected, they relented. About the only good thing I can say about the service reps effort and keeping me as a happy Honda consumer. Took it to an approved jasper transmission installer and had them put in the recommended jasper replacement (why in the world would I want the same product from Honda again?) total bill just under $4K. We obviously don't drive our van much, but so far it is running perfectly. Jasper comes with 3yr/100,000mi warranty. I just discovered tonight that there is now a class-action lawsuit filed. Unfortunately it seems to cover only 2005/06 model years. You can bet I will be contacting them to see if the suit can be expanded to additional years. There is also an occupy Honda facebook page! it is simply reprehensible that Honda is acting this way and they ought to be held accountable.

- Madison, WI, USA

Oct 292011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Check engine light came on at 108,000 miles. Honda service says transmission problem and it needs to be replaced, as well as 2 engine mounts. I am original owner. Car has been serviced at Honda only, I have followed the service schedule.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 262006

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission failure 2 times @ $76000 miles dealer said they replaced transmission but @125000 miles it gave out again worst than last time shop that did work 2nd time said dealer only replaced converter ? do not understand not very happy.

- Trafford, PA, USA

May 282005

Odyssey 6-cyl

5/28/05 first transmission replaced under warranty on 06/03/05 10/12/07 second transmission replaced under warranty 10/15/07 with 87,344 miles 11/14/11 third transmission not replaced with 166,230 miles all times incident occurred while driving. Two times while on highway and car stopped working and towed to Honda dealer. 1st incidence serviced at Maine mall motors S. portland, me. 2nd and 3rd incidences dealt with executive Honda wallingford, ct. American Honda refuses to take any responsibility with defective transmission. Four transmissions in a vehicle is excessive. Even with my 166K+ mileage, car has been maintained well. Believe defective and excessive replacement of my transmissions is unreasonable and is Honda's responsibility to replace my transmission. Never have had failure with transmission in previously owned vehicles even with high mileage. Honda is taking advantage of consumers who pay good $$$ for below average workmanship and quality. I believe this transmission problem is deeper.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Nov 062011

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have had my Honda Odyssey and I had no complaints. But now all of a sudden tranny gone. I serviced it on the regular, fluid never changed colors( burnt color). I got 183K. On it.. just did timing belt and water pump. Now I will have a good minivan if I had a new tranny...any info would be helpful and gladly appreciated..

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 252011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission replaced at 67,000 miles in 2007. Transmission failed again at 107,000 2011. Honda needs to recall all Odyssey's and replace the transmissions with a properly designed one. I'm not the only one having these issues...there is a website dedicated to it

- Tallmadge, OH, USA

Oct 312011

While driving, the transmission suddenly failed. Instead of speeding up, the vehicle slowed. Luckily I was not in the middle of an intersection and no one was behind me. This is very dangerous situation and could have caused an accident.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 012004

Bought vehicle 2001. First transmission went summer of 2004. Honda paid to replace. Second transmission went summer 2009. We paid to replace. Transmission needs to be replaced again. Vehicle has 157,000 and is 10 years old.

- Berlin, CT, USA

Oct 082008

Odyssey 6-cyl

Original transmission failed at 76,000 miles in October 2008. Honda replaced transmission but only provided 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. The replaced transmission failed after only 28,000 miles and 33 months. At 104,000 miles, began noticing shifting problems on or about July 8, 2011. Brought Odyssey to Honda dealership in white plains NY for evaluation. Honda dealership advised the transmission needed to be replaced again and it was not a covered repair. Clearly transmission should have a life span of more than 28,000 miles. Letter sent to Honda requesting replacement. Honda Motors refused to cover replacement of transmission.

- Tuckahoe, NY, USA

Oct 132011

Odyssey 6-cyl

We took our 2001 Honda Odyssey to the dealership this morning due to a "service engine" light. We were informed that the engine light and subsequent code meant that the transmission would need to be replaced - again. This will be the third transmission in the vehicle. The last transmission was replaced at 84K miles. The vehicle currently has 105K miles. We believe a transmission should last more than 21K miles, but the extended warranty on the powertrain has expired and the manufacturer and the dealership has indicated that it is now out of warranty. The transmission issues with the Honda Odyssey is widespread and well documented on the internet, by the manufacturer itself and by the thousands of dealers that have fixed the problems over the years. I believe this to be a major safety issue. It warrants another recall and permanent fix by the manufacturer. This style of vehicle is used to Transport families and is not used for towing or offroad purposes. Honda corporation of America should pay or reimburse consumers for this obvious manufacturing defect and safety issue on their product.

- Vista, CA, USA

Sep 262011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Honda dealership (hoen Honda/ poway Honda) knowingly installed defective rebuilt transmissions (3 times) on my Honda Odyssey 2001. The transmission failed all three times!! these transmissions are defective and it is not a matter of if it is a matter of when they fail. Recently, my wife was stranded in rush hour traffic with her elderly parents. Luckily, she got out of car and redirected traffic. Honda charged me $4700 to replace their defective rebuilt transmission. Honda and their dealerships are very aware of the defective transmissions they install and are not willing to stand-by their products. I would like NHTSA to kindly investigate the safety of the the defective rebuilt transmission that are being installed by Honda.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 172010

Odyssey 6-cyl

2006: Notified by Honda Corp that our vehicle may have a defective transmission took to sim fryson Honda, winchester avenue, ashland, ky for evaluation - determined to be part of recall.and transmission was replaced due to torque converter solenoid malfunction, however, . vehicle shifted hard and a made a "whirring noise". we advised the dealer of this on at least 3 occasions but were told that it was replaced with an Honda part as instructed by Honda. This dealership was sold and the subsequent owner filed for bankruptcy and would not listen to our complaints. During the fall, 2010 we noticed the car was beginning to shift even more harder and seemed to stall before going into gear but ironically when the weather was warmer it would behave okay. However, in January 2011 it would not initially go into gear and we thought it was the gear shifting lever that was perhaps out of sync and took it to moses Honda, rt. 60, huntington, wv since the other dealer was out of business. Moses tested the vehicle and found nothing wrong, however, it continued to off and on behave the same way. We again had moses to test it in March/April 2011 and was told then that the transmission was failing. We contacted the ashland Kentucky dealership (now reopened) and was told the warranty had expired in January and to contact Honda for additional info. We have attempted to speak with Honda several times and will not discuss nor return calls to us. This is a known problem, having researched the issue, and Honda refuses to acknowledge their responsibility in R&D of defective and poorly designed parts. I am requesting full consideration of this problem for all Honda owners that have experienced this problem and for Honda to address the issue.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Jul 022004

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission has failed yet again on the 2001 Odyssey van. We called Honda us to take care of the problem. Honda's only reply is that the warranty is expired and that they are not required to do anything additionally. We appealed to Honda on several fronts, including the poor design, history of the van being unavailable, lost vacation as we were actually driving to a destination one time that it failed, and most importantly, safety. We requested that Honda take care of this problem once and for all even though the mileage is higher because of the overall customer disruption, poor design, faulty manufacturing, time without use of the vehicle (throughout its life and this time as well), expense over time, and most importantly safety... the agent hung up on me even though I was stating my case in a respectful manner. He got agitated when I asked to speak with a representative with more decision authority. He indicated that it does not matter who I talk to- even the president of Honda us would not make a different decision. We are extremely disappointed and facing yet another costly repair and car rental that we cannot really afford. In the last day, my family has incurred expenses of (order incurred) $99 diagnostic fee from a Honda dealership, $70 initial diagnostic from a transmission rebuilder shop, $70 rental car through the weekend, and the rebuilder just called to have me authorize any $865 to get inside the transmission. So far the total is $1,104 and the car is not operational. Given the poor design, faulty manufacturing, and safety of this unit, we respectfully ask that Honda be compelled to take full responsibility for all out of pocket expense incurred associated with the failure of the transmission.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Aug 042011

Odyssey 6-cyl

While climbing 5 degree incline transsmission slipped. Able to turn around in reverse. Stopped engine for five min.. able to go home with brief failures at stoplights. When delivering to dealership, vehicle would not travel more than a block.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Mar 072009

Odyssey 6-cyl

(2001 Odyssey-one owner)-tcs and check engine light came on while driving at 35 mph at 72,000 miles/7 yrs & 5 months on the road. Van stalled/hard shifting and was driven to nearby auto repair shop. Diagnosis was transmission failure. Towed to the Honda dealership. Honda replaced the transmission under warranty, however suggested replacing the timing belt and water pump as well. Power steering cable also found to be corroded. $850 total. Tcs and check engine light came on again on 9-2011 with 102,000 miles with some hesitation and a grinding noise heard. Diagnoses was transmission again (po-740 code ). called Honda dealership who said it was about $4000 for a "Honda" replacement transmission, or the dealer could do it themselves for about $2600.

- Northwood, OH, USA

Sep 182002

Odyssey 6-cyl

The Honda Odyssey transmission failed, my mother with alzheimers was in the car with us, the car is very unsafe, we are the original owners and are putting in a fourth transmission in our 2001 Honda Odyssey which we gave to our daughter who is a single mom of four children, we had faith in Honda and now wish we had sold the Odyssey after we replaced the transmission the first time.

- Woodstown , NJ, USA

Jul 152009

The van at times seemed to be sluggish when changing gears. Also the engine check light came on and so I had it tested by auto zone and they indicated it was transmission failure. This occurred at about 85,000 miles. I had the readout checked again by a certified Honda mechanic and he said yes the transmission is failing. Early on I had been told about Honda Odyssey's and their transmission failures and so I changed the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. I kept driving the van and at about 98,000 miles the engine light was coming on more often. This was in 2010 at the time the government program "cash for clunkers". so I thought I would cut my losses and get at least $4500 for the van which I did on a trade in for a civic. To my surprise the dealership put the van on the lot and sold it for about $6,500 maybe more. So now some poor buyer is going to have to put a replacement transmission which will cost 4,000 to 6,000. Just out of curiosity I looked at reports from 2001 through 2006 on and have discovered that Honda still hasn't corrected their transmission problems.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 302009

Honda Odyssey with 4 failed transmissions in less than 95,000 miles. Honda paid for the first 2 replacements but required us to pay 50% of the cost of the 4th transmission despite the car's history. I have read that under the terms of the class-action settlement, Honda should have covered this up to 109,000 miles. Their customer service personnel are highly trained to avoid paying anything. They routinely won't return calls, are rude and obnoxious in the hopes that customers won't bother them. This is by design and Honda should be held accountable for this. They are not acting in accordance with the terms of the settlement.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Odyssey 6-cyl

We purchased the 2001 Honda Odyssey with 70,382 miles on the odometer in May 2007 from a dealer. All of the service has been performed at Honda dealers except for a couple of oil changes done at jiffy lube. It is difficult for us to accept that the transmission in the Honda Odyssey would fail after 4 years and 30,000 miles. The car is driven by two retired people that are in their early 70S. The Odyssey has never been used for towing, driven hard or at excessive high speed. It is mainly used to go to the grocery store, going out to eat or visit friends. We have never blown a transmission or engine in any of the other cars that we have owned during the past 50 years.

- Graham, WA, USA