1. replace transmission (35 reports)
  3. repair transmission, replace torque converter (4 reports)
2001 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 132011

Odyssey EX 3.5L

Its been two years since they replaced the first bad transmission on a class action extended warranty, now it needs another transmission and it is not covered!

- , Leesburg, VA, USA

Dec 052010

Just bought the car a little over a year ago. 1 year warranty! Extended warranty doesn't cover because too many years have gone by.

Murphy's killing me on this one.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 172010

Odyssey LX 3.5L

Transmission began to slip when accelerating, took to transmission place and they said it cost at least 2500 to fix so im getting rid of it.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Nov 282010

Odyssey LX V6

I purchased this vehicle in 10/2000.

In 2005 the original transmission was replaced at 42k miles under the Honda warranty extension program.

Now, at 130k miles, the replacement transmission has failed with 88k miles on it.

Honda World in Downey(service manager) was contacted and he stated that he has "made several calls to Honda corporate about this same issue on behalf of other Odyssey owners with replacement transmissions going bad" and getting no support from Honda Corp. to repair/replace them.

IMO, it appears that Honda did nothing to correct the design flaw in the transmissions. Sure, they replaced bad transmissions and extended the warranty but since they didn't fix the design flaw, it was only a matter of time before the replacement transmission would go out.

Seems to me that another class action suit is necessary.

- , Whittier, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Odyssey LE 3.5L

Sucks......My Honda transmission failed at 100,000 miles but lucky than it covered under recall warranty. But it failed again at 158,000. Means there transmission is a big problem. Well,no sense crying. American car manufacturer did not pay attantion to their workmanship. Gone down hill. I am sure Honda is out of my list. New buyers should keep this in mind.

- , Sandwich, MA, USA

Nov 052010

Odyssey V6

Lynnwood Honda sold and installed a rebuilt transmission for $3600.

The rebuilt tranny failed in less than a year at 37000 miles later. Honda says they won't assist me. The worst customer service ever. They are not reliable and won't stand up behind their product.

Results: I lost $3600 dollars on the repair. Plus I have a van worth $7000(KBB) that doesn't work. Total loss $11000 plus I have to scrap the piece of junk because it not worth fixing if its going to fail again.

If honda will not stand behind their product and service I will NEVER buy another Honda and I will tell everyone I know of my experience.

I recommend buying a Toyota.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 012010

Honda is not taking responsibility for transmission failure while driving in I-25 Highway with my Family the car was stopped and due to less traffic I was saved. I called up the Honda America on the next day and their support person told me that they don’t have procedure in place to figure out transmission failure and they cannot help in terms of even goodwill repair. I have also told the nightmare of transmission failure and we all have been killed on highway. The people in Honda said--sorry to hear that but we won't help you neither we are supposed to give you any explanation. This is a great surprise to me that they have 100% failure in customer service and they lack really a transparent information system. I want really make Honda accountable for their manufacturing defect or they should give a reason of transmission failure. They cannot simply say they are not suppose to do this. This is my very frustrating experience with Honda America people--you can't even talk to somebody to help. This is not acceptable.

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Sep 252010

Odyssey EX 3.2L V6

Had the recall issue for Honda Transmission (D4 Light flashes, car stops) in 2008. Took it in, and was covered under warranty; Honda repaired the problem. In 2010, transmission started slipping again - last weekend the TCS light came on (as well as 'check engine' while I was going uphill to take the family to church. Car then acted as if I'd shifted into neutral - no gear worked, and I was starting to roll backwards on the hill with traffic coming at me.

Towed vehicle to dealer - call from dealer today has a $5K price tag to replace transmission. Investigated issue, pulled up my old receipts from the dealer on the previous repair - it appears that there's a secondary filter in the transmission that can clog, and if it does, then the ATF doesn't get onto the 2nd/3rd gear area well, and transmission starts to slip. Previous work done on the 'warranty repair' (not a replace, but a 'repair' shows no record of the filter being replaced (dealer today confirmed that).

Called Honda America to complain, got no help at all - basically the rep towed the party line of 'you're past the 7 year period for the warranty with this car.' Will not assist in any way even though their warrarty repair didn't fix the issue.

Ridiculous. I was planning to buy another car in a few months, and told the Honda America rep that based on this, I likely won't buy another Honda if they don't stand by their repair. The rep didn't appear to care.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 222010

Odyssey LX 3.2L V6

I'm an original owner of 2001 Odyssey. At 66,000 miles the check engine light came on and Honda service told me that my car needs a new transmission, will cost me $4000! I am trying to talk to the dealers to see if Honda will cover any part of the cost. It sucks! I'm thinking just to trade in this junk for new van. No more Honda, maybe Toyota Sienna?

- , Beaverton, OR, USA

Oct 112009

Odyssey LX V6

Because this was now our 5TH TRANSMISSION TO BE REPLACED IN 8 YEARS. We decided that because of Honda's lack of concern or consideration of this problem tranny that we decided to go to the Mr. Transmission (franchise) here in Canada to get yet another one in the vehicle. Another rebuilt ...just not sure when this one will go. I feel guilty selling the damn thing even to someone else. Extremely dissapointed. We bought the Honda because of its excellent rating. Will never ever buy a Honda again.

- , Dundas, Ontario, Canada

Aug 232008

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey EX with 169,000 miles. I have had two transmissions replaced, one EGR valve replaced, the back hutch, and not to mention the automatic sliding doors repaired several times.

I am now experiencing my Honda running rough. It shuts off when I put it in reverse and tries to stall-out when I am driving less than 10 mph. It just started experiencing this problem.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA