1. replace transmission (35 reports)
  3. repair transmission, replace torque converter (4 reports)
2001 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 022016

Odyssey EX V6

We submitted this letter to the General Manager of Metro Honda, Jeff Proctor, on May 2, 2016 And we have received NO RESPONSE.

My wife and I, with our family of 4 children, have owned the 2001 Honda Odyssey in question, new, since 2001. We have had our last 6 Honda’s ALL serviced at Metro Honda in Montclair. Metro has just now notified us that we need to replace the transmission on this Odyssey, for the 2nd time.

• Our Odyssey now has 119,000 miles on it & the transmission was first replaced by us when it had 76,293 miles in March of 2008. What is the life span of a Honda transmission? It’s only been 42,707 miles since the transmission was replaced and now it needs another one?

The replacement transmission appears to have either been defective, not genuine, re-conditioned, re-furbished or re-manufactured. We have records of all repairs and services performed by Honda. We can provide them to you or to outside parties, if needed. We do not think that we should be liable for the costs/expenses of replacing yet another defective transmission that has a lifespan below industry standards and not in conformance with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR).

For us to continue buying Honda’s and have them serviced at Metro Honda, we propose that Honda pay for and install a new transmission on this Odyssey at no cost to the owner.

Our son is graduating from college in May and will be purchasing a car for himself. Of course, Honda is his 1st choice. However, we are reluctant to purchase another Honda unless Honda replaces the defective transmission on our Odyssey.

In regards to Customer Loyalty: We have purchased ONLY NEW Honda’s since 1978-NO used Honda’s or other cars. All have been serviced only at Honda Dealerships/Service Centers.

Most recently, our purchases have included:

2012 Civic Blue EX VIN# 19XFB2F81CE302552 Lic# GSGW722

1985 Accord Blue EX purchased at Sierra Honda Monrovia-Nora Beckley

1981 Civic Wagon Red purchased at Westminster Honda

1978 Civic Wagon Blue Red purchased at Westminster Honda

Total: i.e. 11 Brand New Hondas were purchased by us since 1978

Please contact us before June 2, 2016.

- , La Verne, CA, USA

Jul 302015

Odyssey ES

My sister has a 2001 Honda Odyssey and the transmission has failed, she only has 80,000 miles on it and can't find a recall to have it fixed. She is on disability and has 3 kids and used all her savings to buy this van and no the transmission has failed. She sent it to Kirks Transmission to have it replaced and they replaced it 3 times already and still not fixed. I truly believe Honda should replace the transmission free of charge and Kirks transmission out of Fall River MA should reimburse her. I don't know who I need to contact about this problem but I'm hoping this is a good start, please let me know if anyone has any ideas of where and what to do next. Thank you so much.

- , Fall River, MA, USA

Nov 222015

Odyssey LX 3.2L V6

It only has 97,000 miles and had it for 14 years. It was out of the transmission warranty.

The Honda dealer in Orlando FL said it was a messed up transmission but they can fixed it in three days. It took them six days to fixed. Since this happened on our Orlando, FL vacation, the family has to return to TX after Thanksgiving and ended up returning with a rental car.

We abandoned the van to the dealer and sent them the vehicle title. Looked at the complaints and saw that even the new 2015 Odyssey models already have transmission complaints. I always wondered why Honda could not pass Toyota with regards to the car and van sales. It is because of the engine and transmission problems that occurred on Honda and Acura models.

- , KAty, USA

Sep 062015

I bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey in Aug 2001 and transmission had to be replaced at 75000 miles (within 2 months outside the warranty on months).

Now it is 125000 miles and now it broke again.

- , Bartlett, IL, USA

Jun 252015

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

I purchased this van from a dealership. I was told it was in great condition, no problems, no recalls. The transmission completely failed in less than thirty days. I was driving on a highway when transmission failed, I was lucky enough to get pulled off to the side of the road. Honda needs to pay to replace all of these transmissions before someone is seriously injured or worse, killed. I'm now trying to look into different estimates to have the transmission completely rebuilt.

- , Harrisville, WV, USA

Jan 202015

Odyssey ES 2.0L

click to see larger images

transmission failure

I need help please, it ran forward but don't go back .

- , Los Ángeles, CA, USA

Jun 282010

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

We had been enjoying our 2001 Honda Odyssey for many years before the dreaded transmission failure. We were the original owners of the vehicle, having bought it new in 2002, and kept it in perfect working order, bringing it in for every oil change and checkup. The only other issues that have occurred with the van were two engine sensors that went bad, some tuneup work, and a timing belt change. These were just minor issues.

But then in 2010 while driving down the road, after a stop light, upon acceleration the transmission began slipping. After that it would not go faster than 30 mph. The van had 100,703 miles on it. We ended up bringing it to an independent shop because they had a better price, $2,600, than the Honda dealer.

The independent shop did a great job and rebuilt the tranny with all the current upgrades and cleanings. The Honda dealer was not helpful at all and said that since we had bought the vehicle in Germany on the Airforce base, they could not know whether we raced it or not. We never raced it, since it is a family vehicle. At the time we were not given any help in paying for the repair. I do feel cheated about getting the cold shoulder from the dealer and from the Honda company.

Well now it is 2014 and I am praying that the van's transmission will make it to 200,000 miles. All-in-all we love our Honda vehicle, but will never forget about the bad transmission. This has affected my decision on whether I should even get another Honda vehicle. Happy driving reader!

Update from Dec 17, 2014: And I must add that I would still consider a Honda vehicle. They are great overall! I look at vehicles on a one at a time basis. For instance there have been some Fords and Chevys that I have hated or that have had many problems. I would not get those.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Aug 022014

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

OK, I'm at 104,745mile and the 2nd transmission has went out on this van. I had it replaced at the dealer back in December of 2010 at 75,793miles. I called Honda America and explained the situation and I was told that since they had already replaced it once, the statute of limitations had ran out and they are under no obligation to replace again.

So I bought this 2001 Honda Odyssey brand new and had all the recommended maintenance on it. After 2 transmission failures I was only able to get 104,745 miles out of it. This is a real shame because otherwise this was a good van. But Honda put a poorly engineered transmission into this heavy van and will not replace with something that will last. My 99 Accord has over 264,000 miles on it and never had any problems. But I can never recommend their Mini-Vans. What a shame.

- , West Fork, AR, USA

Dec 202010

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

Honda America covered 60% of the cost of the transmission replacement and I still had to cough up $1855.20 for my part. I was never notified of any problems from Honda and when the problem occurred I was told that it had been over 7 years. They initially did not want to cover any of it. I only had 75,493 miles on the van and I had done every bit of recommended maintenance at the Honda dealer. Only after I had my case taken to Honda America did they help out some.

- , West Fork, AR, USA

Jan 012013

Bought this from someone in Texas. Whole Transmission would jump as it shifted from 1st to 2nd. Vehicle Transmission finally died a year later. Believe the original owner knew of the issue when he sold it to us. Very disappointed with this vehicle. We expected better from Honda.

- , Boulder, CO, USA

Nov 302012

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

Want Honda to step up and honor their recall which expired due to misdirected communication to old address and fix their known transmission design fault of under design torque

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 172011

First, the car lost 4th gear on the freeway. Got off the fwy, parked the car, and turned it off and on. Car was fine in 1st-3rd but still would not go above 3rd. As I was driving, looking for a nearby repair shop, the car slowly lost all gears but 1st. Unfortunately, my phone was dead and I was in an unfamiliar part of town. I limped into the repair shop, with cars passing me and terrified kids in the back, and was told I needed a new transmission.

By that time, my autistic son was rocking and crying and the other two were scared and hungry. No rental cars, no way to get home, (we'd moved from CA the month before and knew no one), and it was so late they wouldn't be able to get the replacement until the next day. After spending a few hours at the repair shop, finally a mechanic took pity on us and drove us almost an hour to our home.

- , Washougal, WA, USA

Oct 112013

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

Fourth transmission failure on a van I've owned since new. First one failed at approx. 55K miles, the second one at 96K miles, the third one at 122K miles and finally the fourth one at approx 155K mi. AHM picked up the cost for the first two (they had an extended warranty up to 105K miles and I had also purchased the 7 year / 100K miles extended warranty). The third transmission cost me $1000 for labor, but AHM paid for the transmission. The warranty on this third transmission installed in the car was 3 years or 36K miles. It failed again under 36K miles, but a few months over the 3 year mark (expired in June '13, and it failed at beginning of Oct '13). It left my family stranded 90 miles north of San Diego late at night.

While clearly the letter of the law is with AHM as the warranty period indeed expired, I think I had windshield wipers that lasted longer that the Honda transmission on this van.

As a side note, this was a good car and we had minimal issues with it other than the disposable transmissions.

AHM should figure out that pushing out a bad designed transmission (based on what I've read) is not a way for getting repeat customers. I had an Accord (which was OK) and I still have my S2000 (which I love), but I will never buy a Honda ever again.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 202013

Odyssey EX 3.5L

After being on a waiting list and paying 30000$ for this van I am very disappointed in it. It was factory serviced its whole life with me, then one day engine light came on when driving home from vacation, that's when misery started, thaught it was a senser , it was the transmission P0740 code. still in state of shock, asked dealer can they do anything for me, he told me he called Honda rep and they said I got enough use out of it and it was 3500 for rebuild. I told him I was looking to get another 50-75k on the van,he said its 12 years old it served its purpose, I was pissed off,cause I like the van and wanted to keep going , then reading about everyone elses problems with there odyssey and even rebuilts don't last , I asked the dealer if they would consider trade, he said we know about tranny so therefore it does not have much value, well he just answered my question about buying another Honda product, next day went to Nissan dealer they were glad to take van ,and put me in a new lease. With the money I spent on that van over the years I needed it to last longer then it did. it just was not worth putting more money in to it next it needed brakes tires and timing belt again , At 150000miles all maintainance comes full circle and that would have cost even more.the transmission going at this time cost more than the van was worth. I was going to buy another Honda , but not after this nightmare.

- , North Haven, CT, USA

Jul 082013

- , Huntertown, IN, USA

Jun 282013

Odyssey LX V6

We were 5 hours into a 26 hour trip going down the highway at 75 mph when the RPM started winging out. We were right near and exit so we got off and noticed we were "smoking". The relief valves had popped and the fluid was all over the engine. A cop saw us and stopped to help. If you are ever in Cook Co. GA, the K9 officer, I didn't get his name, was really a great guy! As breakdowns go it wasn't that bad. The cop called a wrecker, Cook Co. towing, and Jason was also a great guy. He took us to Tifton, GA and called the transmission shop. Being a Friday night, the van didn't get looked at until Monday. We didn't get it back until Wednesday.... Long stay in a hotel. But Tifton, GA has very nice people. They rebuild the transmission and replaced the torque converter. They also recommended an additional cooling system because they said it was an overheating problem. Anyway, $2500 later, cash, no out of town checks or credit cards, we got the van back and headed for home. We made it about 75 miles from home and the check engine and TCS lights went on. We drove it our mechanic. It needed an O2 sensor valve, another $450. The only warranty was through the shop that did the work and then it was void if we didn't bring it back in two weeks for a check up...... We thought being a national chain we would have a national warranty but no such luck. Hopefully all the parts are replaced and it will continue to move.

- , Rhinelander, WI, USA

Mar 102013

Odyssey LX

Transmission on this vehicle was changed a few years back. Still failed. Looking at potential bill of $4000+.

Is it worth it ? I could put a down payment on a new small car instead.

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

Mar 172010

Odyssey EX

Second failure. First one was replaced under warrantee.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 202013

Odyssey EX

This is third failure of the transmission on this car. First one was covered by Honda, second one I paid half. Now honda refused to fix. Second one failed 1 day after 3 year warrantee expired.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 022013

Odyssey EX

In 2001 when I bought my Odyssey. It was right off the truck with only 6 miles on it. Previously, I had had a Ford Taurus and after 2 factory installed engines (under warrenty) with only 69,000 miles on the car, I vowed never to purchase a ford again and went with a brand spanking new Honda Odysee right off of the truck. As a single mother, I knew absolutely nothing about cars and had heard nothing but excellent things about Honda and Toyota . I could have bought a used car a few years old but I didn't want to inherit some one else's headaches so I decided to buy and pay cash for the Honda Odysee ($ Over 28,000). In the beginning everything was great but after 3 months I was having problems with the automatic passenger door opening while driving. Took the care back 3 times and on the 3rd time I was given a brand new van but also had to pay $1,200 so I bit the bullet and paid it. After that, no problems. I only drove my van to and from work and an occassional road trips to Indiana. After 12 years and a little over 106,000 miles the transmission was dying. On April 2, 2013, while taking my son to an orthodistist appointment, my engine light and Traction Control light came. I tried turning off the TC light but I could'nt. While still on the road, I called my husband and told him what was going on. He told me to take it to the dealer when I got off work. I argued a little saying that the dealer was going to charge me an arm and a leg for a diagnostic test and told him I would rather take it to Firestone but he was insistant that I take it to the Zimbrick Honda-West where I'd initially bought the car 12 years ago after work, so I did. They charged me $90 to tell me that I had about 2 weeks on the transmission before it would completely died. I was floored. How could that be? I'd done all the right things. I'd just put in a new battery the week before and two weeks prior to that I'd gotten the oil changed and purchased 4 new Firestone tires for a cost of over $500.00. Not wanting to spend that kind of money, my husband and I decided to trade in the Odysee and buy me a brand new car. Zimbrick only wanted to give me $500.00, which in our opinion was worth more than that. We plan on fixing the transmission and giving it to our daughter. However, I ended up buying another Honda (2013 CR-V EX) I picked the car up yesterday and this morning, after talking to a co-worker she asked me if I'd had my transmission replaced by Honda, free of charge, due to a recall on the transmission. That was the first and only time I've heard about a recall onthe honda transmission. Had I known this I never would have purchased another Honda. I've had this new car for less than 24 hours and I am not a happy camper. I called Zimbrick about the recall and I'm still waiting to hear from them.....Its been 2 hours and counting and I still havent heard from Zimbrick! I'm PO'd, to say the least!!!!

- , Madison, WI, USA