9.5

$3,625.00

1. replace transmission (30 reports)
  3. repair transmission, replace torque converter (3 reports)
2001 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 022014

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

OK, I'm at 104,745mile and the 2nd transmission has went out on this van. I had it replaced at the dealer back in December of 2010 at 75,793miles. I called Honda America and explained the situation and I was told that since they had already replaced it once, the statute of limitations had ran out and they are under no obligation to replace again.

So I bought this 2001 Honda Odyssey brand new and had all the recommended maintenance on it. After 2 transmission failures I was only able to get 104,745 miles out of it. This is a real shame because otherwise this was a good van. But Honda put a poorly engineered transmission into this heavy van and will not replace with something that will last. My 99 Accord has over 264,000 miles on it and never had any problems. But I can never recommend their Mini-Vans. What a shame.

- , West Fork, Arkansas, USA

Dec 202010

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

Honda America covered 60% of the cost of the transmission replacement and I still had to cough up $1855.20 for my part. I was never notified of any problems from Honda and when the problem occurred I was told that it had been over 7 years. They initially did not want to cover any of it. I only had 75,493 miles on the van and I had done every bit of recommended maintenance at the Honda dealer. Only after I had my case taken to Honda America did they help out some.

- , West Fork, Arkansas, USA

Jan 012013

Odyssey

Bought this from someone in Texas. Whole Transmission would jump as it shifted from 1st to 2nd. Vehicle Transmission finally died a year later. Believe the original owner knew of the issue when he sold it to us. Very disappointed with this vehicle. We expected better from Honda.

- , Boulder, CO, USA

Nov 302012

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

Want Honda to step up and honor their recall which expired due to misdirected communication to old address and fix their known transmission design fault of under design torque

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 172011

Odyssey

First, the car lost 4th gear on the freeway. Got off the fwy, parked the car, and turned it off and on. Car was fine in 1st-3rd but still would not go above 3rd. As I was driving, looking for a nearby repair shop, the car slowly lost all gears but 1st. Unfortunately, my phone was dead and I was in an unfamiliar part of town. I limped into the repair shop, with cars passing me and terrified kids in the back, and was told I needed a new transmission.

By that time, my autistic son was rocking and crying and the other two were scared and hungry. No rental cars, no way to get home, (we'd moved from CA the month before and knew no one), and it was so late they wouldn't be able to get the replacement until the next day. After spending a few hours at the repair shop, finally a mechanic took pity on us and drove us almost an hour to our home.

- , Washougal, WA, USA

Oct 112013

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

Fourth transmission failure on a van I've owned since new. First one failed at approx. 55K miles, the second one at 96K miles, the third one at 122K miles and finally the fourth one at approx 155K mi. AHM picked up the cost for the first two (they had an extended warranty up to 105K miles and I had also purchased the 7 year / 100K miles extended warranty). The third transmission cost me $1000 for labor, but AHM paid for the transmission. The warranty on this third transmission installed in the car was 3 years or 36K miles. It failed again under 36K miles, but a few months over the 3 year mark (expired in June '13, and it failed at beginning of Oct '13). It left my family stranded 90 miles north of San Diego late at night.

While clearly the letter of the law is with AHM as the warranty period indeed expired, I think I had windshield wipers that lasted longer that the Honda transmission on this van.

As a side note, this was a good car and we had minimal issues with it other than the disposable transmissions.

AHM should figure out that pushing out a bad designed transmission (based on what I've read) is not a way for getting repeat customers. I had an Accord (which was OK) and I still have my S2000 (which I love), but I will never buy a Honda ever again.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 202013

Odyssey EX 3.5L

After being on a waiting list and paying 30000$ for this van I am very disappointed in it. It was factory serviced its whole life with me, then one day engine light came on when driving home from vacation, that's when misery started, thaught it was a senser , it was the transmission P0740 code. still in state of shock, asked dealer can they do anything for me, he told me he called Honda rep and they said I got enough use out of it and it was 3500 for rebuild. I told him I was looking to get another 50-75k on the van,he said its 12 years old it served its purpose, I was pissed off,cause I like the van and wanted to keep going , then reading about everyone elses problems with there odyssey and even rebuilts don't last , I asked the dealer if they would consider trade, he said we know about tranny so therefore it does not have much value, well he just answered my question about buying another Honda product, next day went to Nissan dealer they were glad to take van ,and put me in a new lease. With the money I spent on that van over the years I needed it to last longer then it did. it just was not worth putting more money in to it next it needed brakes tires and timing belt again , At 150000miles all maintainance comes full circle and that would have cost even more.the transmission going at this time cost more than the van was worth. I was going to buy another Honda , but not after this nightmare.

- , North Haven, CT, USA

Jul 082013

Odyssey

FAMILY VANS SHOULDN'T CONSISTENTLY HAVE THIS ISSUE AND THIS SIGNIFICANT COST TO REPAIR.

- , Huntertown, IN, USA

Jun 282013

Odyssey LX V6

We were 5 hours into a 26 hour trip going down the highway at 75 mph when the RPM started winging out. We were right near and exit so we got off and noticed we were "smoking". The relief valves had popped and the fluid was all over the engine. A cop saw us and stopped to help. If you are ever in Cook Co. GA, the K9 officer, I didn't get his name, was really a great guy! As breakdowns go it wasn't that bad. The cop called a wrecker, Cook Co. towing, and Jason was also a great guy. He took us to Tifton, GA and called the transmission shop. Being a Friday night, the van didn't get looked at until Monday. We didn't get it back until Wednesday.... Long stay in a hotel. But Tifton, GA has very nice people. They rebuild the transmission and replaced the torque converter. They also recommended an additional cooling system because they said it was an overheating problem. Anyway, $2500 later, cash, no out of town checks or credit cards, we got the van back and headed for home. We made it about 75 miles from home and the check engine and TCS lights went on. We drove it our mechanic. It needed an O2 sensor valve, another $450. The only warranty was through the shop that did the work and then it was void if we didn't bring it back in two weeks for a check up...... We thought being a national chain we would have a national warranty but no such luck. Hopefully all the parts are replaced and it will continue to move.

- , Rhinelander, WI, USA

Mar 102013

Odyssey LX

Transmission on this vehicle was changed a few years back. Still failed. Looking at potential bill of $4000+.

Is it worth it ? I could put a down payment on a new small car instead.

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

Mar 172010

Odyssey EX

Second failure. First one was replaced under warrantee.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 202013

Odyssey EX

This is third failure of the transmission on this car. First one was covered by Honda, second one I paid half. Now honda refused to fix. Second one failed 1 day after 3 year warrantee expired.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 022013

Odyssey EX

In 2001 when I bought my Odyssey. It was right off the truck with only 6 miles on it. Previously, I had had a Ford Taurus and after 2 factory installed engines (under warrenty) with only 69,000 miles on the car, I vowed never to purchase a ford again and went with a brand spanking new Honda Odysee right off of the truck. As a single mother, I knew absolutely nothing about cars and had heard nothing but excellent things about Honda and Toyota . I could have bought a used car a few years old but I didn't want to inherit some one else's headaches so I decided to buy and pay cash for the Honda Odysee ($ Over 28,000). In the beginning everything was great but after 3 months I was having problems with the automatic passenger door opening while driving. Took the care back 3 times and on the 3rd time I was given a brand new van but also had to pay $1,200 so I bit the bullet and paid it. After that, no problems. I only drove my van to and from work and an occassional road trips to Indiana. After 12 years and a little over 106,000 miles the transmission was dying. On April 2, 2013, while taking my son to an orthodistist appointment, my engine light and Traction Control light came. I tried turning off the TC light but I could'nt. While still on the road, I called my husband and told him what was going on. He told me to take it to the dealer when I got off work. I argued a little saying that the dealer was going to charge me an arm and a leg for a diagnostic test and told him I would rather take it to Firestone but he was insistant that I take it to the Zimbrick Honda-West where I'd initially bought the car 12 years ago after work, so I did. They charged me $90 to tell me that I had about 2 weeks on the transmission before it would completely died. I was floored. How could that be? I'd done all the right things. I'd just put in a new battery the week before and two weeks prior to that I'd gotten the oil changed and purchased 4 new Firestone tires for a cost of over $500.00. Not wanting to spend that kind of money, my husband and I decided to trade in the Odysee and buy me a brand new car. Zimbrick only wanted to give me $500.00, which in our opinion was worth more than that. We plan on fixing the transmission and giving it to our daughter. However, I ended up buying another Honda (2013 CR-V EX) I picked the car up yesterday and this morning, after talking to a co-worker she asked me if I'd had my transmission replaced by Honda, free of charge, due to a recall on the transmission. That was the first and only time I've heard about a recall onthe honda transmission. Had I known this I never would have purchased another Honda. I've had this new car for less than 24 hours and I am not a happy camper. I called Zimbrick about the recall and I'm still waiting to hear from them.....Its been 2 hours and counting and I still havent heard from Zimbrick! I'm PO'd, to say the least!!!!

- , Madison, WI, USA

Oct 282012

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

We suffered transmission failure in the middle of Kansas on way back to Oklahoma. The van wouldn't move at all.

- , Lawton, OK, USA

Feb 012013

Odyssey LX V6

This is my SECOND bad transmission from Honda. First transmission went at 70,000 miles and the replacement transmission had only 50,000 miles on it.

This car has always been a money pit, in one year I put close to $6,000 in repairs (only 70,000 and that didn't include the transmission, they only covered 90%)

NEVER again with HONDA

- , Manalapan, NJ, USA

Nov 202012

Odyssey LX V6

We bought our Honda Odyssey used in August 2009. Everything was great until December 2009 and the transmission went out. We were past the extended warranty (although within the 109K miles) and so we had to fork out $3500 to fix the transmission. Honda would not help cover any cost.

Now under 3 years later, Nov 20, 2012, the transmission went out again. We couldn't believe it. This time we were within the 3 year warranty but over the 36K mile warranty by less than 4K miles. I called Honda mad as can be and they were terrible. They wouldn't do anything. After explaining how disappointed I was and that I thought Honda should back their product better the customer service rep actually said to me " and what would you like us to do about it" Of course I said, fix my transmission and he casually said. That won't happen.

I've tried to call back but I just get the run around about how the case manager is going to call me. But doesn't. Honda sucks. This is the worst car we've ever purchased. Oh, the new transmission cost? $5500. My 2001 isn't even worth $5500 when it's perfectly running.

- , Natick, MA, USA

Nov 162012

Odyssey

Bought this 2001 Honda Odyssey as a Certified Honda through Vann York Honda in High Point. No problems with the vehicle through the 100,000 mile warranty. Around 125,000 miles, we had to have the transmission replaced. I wasn't happy but I didn't want to buy a new car either so I had it replaced. I thought that would take care of us for a while. 50,000 miles later, the transmission has gone out again. We're outside of the 36,000 mile warranty so Honda is not going to do anything about it. When you look online you see that the 2001 Honda Odyssey transmission issue was awful and they won't help me out. I have had other vehicles and none of them needed a transmission after 50,000 miles. If you are in the market for a used Honda Odyssey, even though I know it's a very old van, STAY AWAY FROM HONDA ODYSSEY. I can't speak for future years, but I know I'm not going to give them my business ever again.

- , Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 102011

Odyssey ES

After replacing transmission at 96,00 right after I bought (under warranty). then 30,00miles later i had to replace it again at amco 4000. then at 160,000 it needed a new transmission at another 4000. Every 30000 i needed to put in a new transmission,This Odyssey has been a nightmare. all kinds of problems. My first used car . NIGHTMARE!! Everyone in accords work great , My husbands honda accord went to 250,000 miles to with no major repairs >until the body parts starting flying off while driving. I do not buy Odyssey's from 1999-2008.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 152012

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

Transmission was "replaced" by a Honda dealership under transmission recall a few years ago. Still had to pay 30% of the cost. Transmission was NOT replaced instead they gave me the run around and just changed the trans fluid. This was all done at roughly 60,000 miles. Car hit 86,000 miles and the transmission gave up. Now I don't know what to do with this. Of course Honda is trying to deny everything and leaving the customer in the dark. After owning numerous numbers of Hondas over the past 30 years, I sad to say this will be my last.

- , Richmond Hill, New York, USA

May 192012

Odyssey 3.5L V6

I was lucky I thought to get a transmission replaced before 100K, or so I thought... heading from NYC to Greensboro NC.. I was lucky to make it to my friends driveway... the car smoked and looked like it leaked transmission fluid.. I replaced and drove... then, I was lucky to make it to the top of the hill and coast down to their driveway... I now have to rent a car to NYC... honda sucks... I always treasure a car with a good engine and tranny.. to me nothing else matters unless it can drive... there goes my tranny and there I go to MCU to get a loan for a nissan maxima..

- , Jamaica, NY, USA