CarComplaints.com Notes: The entire 2nd generation Odyssey (1999-2004) is just one giant transmission problem waiting to happen.

1.7

2002 Honda Odyssey fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

2002 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Sep 122013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The automatic transmission occasionally disengages between 30mph to 40mph. Sometimes it re-engages or sometimes manually downshifting causes the drive to re-engage. Dealer says this is a known issue and the solution is to replace the transmission. I've taken it to a local mechanic and a called a local transmission company and they also say this is a know issue with this model year. A google search turns up many people with the same issue for this model year of the Odyssey. I will have to get this fixed as I cannot count on the vehicle for reliable and safe transportation any more.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 142013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was entering an interstate on a crowded day with construction cones on the side of the road. I had to accelerate quickly to get into a lane, and hit the gas pedal. I let up on the pedal once I was on the highway, but the pedal was stuck. I tried to pull it up, but it would not move. I could not get over, as the shoulder was blocked, so looked for an exit. I tried to shift into neutral, but it did not slow the car when I did. The only success I had at all in slowing the car (I was going 70mph when it stuck) was in holding the brakes, which I did. I finally saw an exit where I could get off, and I did, holding the brakes as hard as I could while throwing the car into park and killing the engine. It was only by turning the car off that I was able to stop it. When we started the van later, there was a horrible smell (probably the brakes), but the pedal came unstuck. My mechanic discovered that the cruise control had gotten stuck, and he disconnected it. It is the most terrifying car experience I have ever had, and I am only thankful that I was alone in the car, and not with my children. I was incredibly lucky, was completely traumatized, but have had to get over it because my job requires a great deal of driving. I don't trust my van, even though I know the cruise control is not connected. What else will it do now!? I have been unhappy with visibility in this van, already, and this confirms that I will never again purchase another one.

- Framingham, MA, USA

May 172011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The contact noticed a gasoline smell from the exterior of the vehicle and after examining the vehicle, the contact noticed a fuel leak coming from the filler hose of the fuel tank. The vehicle was not diagnosed by the dealer or repaired. The current and failure mileages were 37,000.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 072011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Honda Odyssey 2002 transmission and fuel pump problem.

- Fremont, CA, USA