Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The entire 2nd generation Odyssey (1999-2004) is just one giant transmission problem waiting to happen.

2002 Honda Odyssey miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

2002 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Apr 102015

Odyssey 6-cyl

The car is S stalling and bubbling. It is like im in nuetral all the sudden.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Apr 132015

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmision sarted to not shift properly fluid leak gear stays on drive with blinking light.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Oct 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

2002 Honda Odyssey. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle recall notice and unsatisfactory customer service at dealership. The consumer stated after the recall was performed, the vehicle stopped working. The consumer stated the vehicle was in perfect working condition, before the recall was performed.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jan 142013

Driving home at about 20-25 mph. Came to stop sign then as I stepped on gas to go found the gas pedal very hard to press on van felt heavy. Tcs light came on and check engine light. The van would not speed up more than 10 mph!!!!!!

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Nov 062011

Driving up to 40mph the 3rd gear in the transmission had a problem with shifting. It was slipping from 3rd to 4th and shook the whole car vigorously. From 2nd to 3rd the gears wouldn't grab very smoothly either. Stopping the car from 40mph to 0mph when it down shifted the car would shake again because of failure with the 3rd gear not working properly. We had to take it to a transmission shop and had to get 3rd gear rebuilt. The whole repair on the transmission cost me $2,650.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jul 072011

Transmission was not shifting correctly ---loud noises and the engine was revving and van was going nowhere---could only move if speed was kept under 20mph kept in first gear----------brought vehicle to my mechanic for diagnosis( he told me the tranny was bad and needed to be replaced ) only having mileage in the 54000-55000 range and knowing the vehicle was driven around town and the occasional vacation trip since we bought it new. I called Honda and was given a case number and they told me they would not honor my mechanics diagnosis and I needed to bring it to a Honda dealer. They agreed and told me the transmission needed to be replaced also and charged me $120 for my "diagnosis". they also informed me they could replace the transmission and computer for $7800. They told me both the computer and transmission needed to be replaced at the same time in order to have a "warranty" applied to the new transmission. I asked which item was bad the transmission or computer that told the tranny to shift at the correct RPM. They would not answer the question just that the home office has set this precedent ---both need to be replaced at the same time. Seems as though they don't have an idea what is going on or just covering themselves. My mechanic replaced the transmission and computer with genuine Honda parts for a little under $5000 and I have the "warranty" they offered as well. I am still waiting for Honda America to review and help me out with paying for repairs that I feel were very premature for the age and mileage of their outstanding and best selling minivan prior to the replacement the dealer offered me $750 for my fully loaded minivan ------great people these Honda dealers............. you decide-----me I can't wait to sell this piece of cra_.

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

Sep 282011

The passenger side power sliding door on my Odyssey malfunctioned, and abruptly closed after opening about six inches. My daugter's hand was caught in the door, and she has a fractured thumb.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Aug 302011

I was sold a vehicle in Michigan with a speedometer and odometer that registered in kilometers. When I sold the vehicle to a dealership the dealship advised me that the dealership who sold me the vehicle violated the law and that they were responsible for converting the vehicle to U.S. standards. This resulted in $2500 loss in the value on my trade in.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Oct 012010

Car started a high pitch whistling. Took it to dealer who said transmission was bad. (had the 2004 recall oil jet modification done back in 2004.) driving with fingers crossed now B/C dealer will only cover a portion of replacement and can't afford the cost to replace.

- Clarksville, MD, USA

May 022010

2002 Honda Odyssey transmission! this car is a pile of junk! I feel unsafe driving my two small children around in it! had the transmission replaced 9 months ago at 93,000 miles and I am already having issues at 104,000 miles. Unreliable, not safe, and I wish I could throw it away! Honda cars of America will not help me and I have spent close to $4,000 fixing this pile of rubble! my mom and I just got stuck an hour and a half from home in columbia, SC after driving. The car would not accelerate on the highway and I basically had to coast off the exit and stop at the red light. When I stopped I looked over my shoulder and smoke was coming from underneath the car. The transmission hose had broken and transmission fluid was all over the place! we were stuck with nowhere to go for 3 hours!!!

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Feb 012010

Api vehicle service contract. The consumer was told that if they went 7 years without a claim on their service warranty, they would receive a full refund check, however the warranty company has since filed for bankruptcy. The dealer where the vehicle was purchased stated they were still honoring the contract, however the consumer was a few days late in requesting a refund.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Feb 152003

Automatic doors sometimes fail to close completely, stopping mid-way. Need to restart car to close them. Warning lights (all) lit up multiple times on several occasions for about 2 minutes each time; then went off. Carbon deposit build-up in throttle cable makes the accelerator pedal very sticky and I need to constantly remind Honda service to clean and lubricate; otherwise, it becomes very sticky and I need to push hard on pedal ~ leading to hard acceleration.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

May 212002

While driving at any speed, the safety restraint light will illuminate. The dealer has examined the problem on four different occasions. The dealer claims that the manufacturer is aware of the problem but does not have a solution.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Mar 032003

Consumer fraud complaint against arrow head Honda in peoria, Arizona.

- Glendale , AZ, USA

Jan 102002

The van's engine warning light and traction control light came on at about 2700 miles while I was driving the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle gear shift was in the "D" mode for drive, and the green light began blinking off and on at the same time the engine light and tcs light were illuminated. The Honda dealership replaced the pressure control solenoid and this ended the lights being display. Today, at 3100 miles, the engine warning light and tcs light came on again and the "D" gear shift light was blinking off and on. I took the vehicle to the Honda dealership this morning and was told 5 hrs later that my vehicle needs a new transmission. I am shocked and also disappointed. It is new and cost $30,000 to purchase. What a bum deal.

- Kingsburg, CA, USA