8.7

$3,435.00

1. replace transmission (76 reports)
  3. factory remanufactured transmission (5 reports)
  4. Honda replaced tranny - good will - I had to pay labor (4 reports)
  5. dealer replaced transmission n/c as good will (2 reports)
  6. replace output seal (1 reports)
2002 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

2002 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Sep 242013

Odyssey

p1740- p0740- p0730 also slipping disassembled found burned clutches bad to rqul convertor

Had to rebuild transmission torque convertor atf master kit pressure solenoid control

Update from Oct 17, 2013: Driving on the freeway when car just stop .. cant get into grid ... lucky one one die or got hurt... found out the transmission was wear and tear! OMG!!!

- , San Jose, CA, USA

May 212012

Odyssey LX 3.5L

My transmission never failed but for all you people who say yours did, do you think it might be because of your driving a minivan like a sports car because of that sporty Honda sound?

ITS A MINIVAN, NOT A FERRARI, now I want all of you people to think about that.

- , Maple Heights, OH, USA

Apr 272012

Odyssey LX V6

I was traveling with my husband and child 2 hours away. About 20 minutes from my destination the car started smoking, a kind driver drove up to my husband's driver side window and told us the car was overheating. I had a 10 month old baby in the car and got her ready to jump out when my husband stopped should the car catch fire. Luckily a highway worker came running to us with a fire extinguisher should we need it as the car was smoking bad. Turns out the transmission was blown on the car. Not a single sign of it before this happened.

I called Honda America at 800 999 1009 and spoke to Manny today. Even though this transmission issue is a known issue, since my car has @150,000 miles, they can not pay anything toward repairs of the transmission. He said I could take any other means I felt but he couldn't help me, then said, is there anything else I can help you with today. I bought a Honda because I thought it would be a great car with great service. I was sadly mistaken!! If anyone gets any information on the class action law suit or any other means of compensation, please let me know. I don't have the $4,900, to repair this and may as well just get a new car, but I am broke.

- , Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Sep 012012

Odyssey

Very unhappy about transmission failure. I was told by Honda there is no recourse because the car has over 100,000 miles -- despite the fact that Honda settled a class action lawsuit in regards to transmission failures in their 2001-2004 Honda Odysseys.

- , Bethesda, MD, USA

Aug 272012

Odyssey

I am disappointed that a Honda needed a new transmission at 133K miles. I thought it would have lasted longer.The service technician told me that if the car was regularly maintained, it would not have been an expected issue. I had that car maintained very regularly - all oil changes, all warranty and recommended checks at the various mileage thresholds... Now I see this is a pretty common issue for Honda Odysseys! GRRRRR

- , Carrboro, NC, USA

Jul 012012

Odyssey

engine light came on. Took it to Honda dealer who charged me 100 bucks to tell me that I need a new transmission. They will charge me $5,000 more to replace it.

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Mar 062012

Odyssey EX

I was advised by the service department at Peter's Honda in Nashua, NH that a replacement transmission would cost about $4600. I have owned Hondas since 1983 and although some repairs were expensive, nothing approached this cost. In September, 2011 I had to replace the diver's seat because the seat bracket sheared

and the seat flopped around. That repair cost $875.In October 2011 I was advised that

the power steering package had to be replaced in order to pass state inspection. That

cost was $968. Now I face a $4600. cost for a new transmission. I can verify that others have informed me about identical problems with their Odysseys and, based on the information in this site, my experience and theirs, my conclusion is that this is a brand to avoid.

- , Amherst, NH, USA

Nov 252011

Odyssey

The transmission began to slip. The diagnosis from the transmission place said "Tested system and found transmission barely moves, no codes in system, fluid burnt, unable to road test. Recommend rebuild transmission due to internal failure."

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 092012

Odyssey EX V6

three transmissions i had to purchase. No honda help.

- , Mineral Ridge, OH, USA

Mar 082011

Odyssey

I bought a Honda odyssey van 2002 and am very disappointed with the TRANSMISSION FAILURE AT 59000MILES and TOTAL LACK OF CONCERN ON PART OF HONDA after reading all the forums and HAVING TO PAY $3500 FOR REPAIRS FOR A MANUFACTURING DEFECT WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM HONDA. I AM DEFINITELY NEVER BUYING ANYTHING HONDA EVER AGAIN AND SO IS MY ENTIRE FAMILY. please check www.odysseytransmission.com for more detail...

- , West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 252011

Odyssey

The 2002 Honda Odyssey is not worth the money or trouble.Do not buy!! A piece of

SH--T

- , Albertville, ALA, USA

Jul 152009

Odyssey ES V6

Me: "You know what babe? I'm gonna get you a really good van that will last! HONDA is GREAT, they're EXPENSIVE, but hey! You get what you pay for, RIGHT?!"

Wife: "Whatever you think babe, you know what's best. I trust your judgement! <3 <3 <3 ;)"

Me: "You know that safety net of cash we've been saving, we're gonna use that and we can borrow the rest. Don't worry this vehicle will last and give us NO problems"

Wife: "I so excited, you're so smart! You always want the best for me and the kids! <3 <3 <3 ;)"

77,000 Miles Later

Wife: "Babe, the van did something funny today, I think you should look at it!"

Me: "I'm sure it's nothing, it's a Honda, they're Great!"

Wife: "You're so smart! <3 <3 <3 ;)"

Honda Mechanic: "Sorry sir, but your transmission is shot and needs to be replaced, oh and btw, that will be $3,300"

Me: WTF!! You F--cking A--Hole!! What do you mean!! This is a F--cking Honda!! I spent top dollar for this!! You Mother F--cker, I HATE you!!!

Wife: WTF!! You F--cking A--Hole!! What do you mean!! This is a F--cking Honda!! We spent top dollar for this!! You Mother F--cker, I HATE you!!!

33,000 Miles Later

Wife with the kids on I-95 two hours from home : "Hey dumb ass, remember that funny thing the van was doing 2 years ago! Your HONDA IS A PEICE OF SH*T!!!! I HATE you!!!

Me: "hmmmmmm - tall building - rope in tree - sleeping pills, decision decision..."

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Aug 262011

Odyssey

I purchased this van after our Ford Winstar was totaled in an accident. We had it less than 1 month when the first signs of transmission failure occurred on our way to the beach for family vacation. The transmission eventually died on my way to picking my mother up from the airport. I was stranded 4 miles from the airport and an 1 1/2 hours away from home. I was able to drive the van the 4 miles going 30 mph. We took it to our mechanic and was told this was a common problem with this van. If he had known we were looking to buy a car he would of told us not to buy a honda. The dealership said the car was perfect when they sold it to us. The mechanic quoted $4000, the dealership $3000. I went on craigslist and found a mechanic who rebuilt the transmission for $1735 and gave me a 1 year warranty. I feel sorry for all the others who had to pay thousands and Honda knowing this is a common problem.

- , Ashburn, VA, USA

May 152011

Odyssey

honda dealership in petaluma, california replaced the automatic transmission it cost me lots of money that I DID NOT HAVE...HAD TO TAKE A LOAN TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT HONDA SHOULD HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED AND HONDA SHOULD HAVE FIXED THIS TRANSMISSION WITHOUT COSTING ME ANY MONEY...

THE DEALERSHIP OFFERED TO DO THE TRANSMISSION FOR $2,500 BUT WE ENDED PAYING ALMOST $5,000.00 DOLLARS...WHAT A RIP OFF.................................

I had purchased 2 HONDA ODYSSEY VAN FROM THIS SAME DEALERSHIP.. ONE OF THE VANS HAS NO PROBLEMS AT 115,00 MILES..THE DEALERSHIP KNOWS THAT I AM THE OWNER OF TWO VANS SOLD TO ME..THEY ALSO KNOW THAT ONE OF VAN THE TRANSMISSION FAILED AND CHARGED ME $5,000.00 TO FIX IT...HOWEVER, NEVER A WORD FROM THE DEALERSHIP ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF THE OTHER HONDA WITH 115,000 MILES HAVING A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM THAT COULD BE CORRECTED BEFORE ANYTHING HAPPENS TO THE TRANSMISSION...I HAVE LEARNED MORE FROM YOUR SITE (WITHOUT BUYING NOTHING FROM YOU THAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM HONDA DEALERSHIP IN PETALUMA WHERE I HAD PURCHASED TWO NEW 2002 HONDA ODYSSEY VAN.....THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION RELATING TO MY 2002 HONDA VAN TRANSMISSION FAILURE THAT THANKS TO THE INFORMATION ON YOUR SITE, THAT THERE IS CORRECTION TO FIX TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS BEFORE OCCURRING........GREAT SERVICE.....GREAT INFORMATION..THIS IS WHAT AMERICAN IS ALL ABOUT! SHAME ON HONDA...SHAME ON THEIR GREED AND SELF-INTEREST...I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANOTHER HONDA....

IN THE PAST I HAVE BOUGHT 4 HONDAS NEVER AGAIN...GREEDY BASTARDS!

JOE

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

Mar 182010

Odyssey EX

Bought and own a 2002 Odyssey......original owners. It has always been serviced with Honda. First transmission went up at 60,000 miles was covered under OUR extended warranty. Honda put in a "remanufactured transmission" that one went up at 170,000 miles. Honda offered very little help to fix it.....i think 25% off the $4000 they quoted us. Are you kidding me?? why should we pay a dime for a SECOND faulty transmission you installed???? It's been sitting on the dealership lot for over a year. The van is not worth what it will cost to fix it. Not that anyone would buy it most people are aware of the tranny issues...........except for Honda who claims there are NO known issues with the 2002 Odyssey transmissions. We were stupid enough to buy a 2009 Ody before the 2nd tranny went up in the 2002. Having shifting issues with it.........I am on a personal mission to educate everyone I come in contact with about Honda and how they do NOT stand behind their products and how bad their customer service sucks. Toyota's from here out.

- , Ellicott City, MD, USA

Apr 022011

Odyssey EX-L

This POS lemon left us stranded on US 75S in Ocala, FL on our way to Disney. Car is smoking and jerking. Check engine light, Traction Control light is on and "D" is blinking. Since it was after 5 pm on Saturday, no one was open to help us. Rentals were closed and car shops were closed. We drove the POS slowly on to Orlando (so we didn't miss our vacation) and made it there! We had to rent a van for the week and then another van to get us back home to GA. We had Manheim Auctions tow it to their place and we left it there. We had a re manufactured transmission installed 26 months earlier (with a 3 year/36K mile warranty) only to discover the shop went out of business so now we have no warranty! Absolutely a perfect storm of Odyssey transmission problems! I am so disappointed because I really loved that car and now I can't trust it with my family. It has left me stranded too many times.

- , Marietta, G, USA

Feb 252009

Odyssey EX-L

I had the car for 6 weeks and the transmission died. Dealer wanted to replace the entire thing & computer for $5K. We laughed. Honda America told us they wouldn't do a thing for us...After complaining for about 2 weeks (and 7 months pregnant with 3rd baby), dealer split the cost of a remanufactured transmission with me which came with a 3 year/36 mile warranty. Problem taken care of...Or so I thought!

- , Marietta, G, USA

Mar 072011

Odyssey LX V6

Much annoyed that they know about this problem and offer NO help. This is so common. In fact in my little town there were 2 other 2002 Odysseys being brought in that morning for the exact same thing. Shame on Honda. We decided to just pay for it since we won't be able to get a car this good for $2369. I still love the car, just think the company could have had better service. Wade Raulerson Honda says they have good customer service, they do, then you drive off the lot. :)

- , Alachua, FL, USA

Dec 292008

Odyssey EX

I own two 2002 Hondas...an Odyssey and an Accord. The transmission on the Odyssey failed at 77000 miles and the Accord is giving signs of the same problem (right now around 80000 miles - separate complaint coming on that one). This is unacceptable for a manufacturer who supposedly makes a quality product.

I have owned about 7 Honda vehicles but these two problems are making me seriously consider looking for another manufacturer.

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 012010

Odyssey EX

I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 72000 miles on it. The Check engine light came on and the computer error radout came to P0740. I changed the transmission fluid and after a week the light came on. 72000 miles is not much to have transmission issues. I called American Honda and gave them the diagnostic code and they tell me that I have to take to Honda Dealership and get it checked by their computer. I spent $120 for it and they also gave me the same reading P0740. I contacted American Honda and they tell me that its out of warranty and therefore they would not do anything. They made me take it to Honda service center and spend $120 to get the same result. Now I will have to shell out $4000 to replace the transmission.

It is ridiculus that after buying a car and at 72000 miles the transmission fails? Honda is turning a blind eye towards it. If there is a class action lawsuit, I'd like to know. I am not going to spend $4000 to get it fixed. I would also stay away from Honda Service center if I can. They cannot do anything and why should I go there to get it fixed, Honda wants more of my money?

After researching this issue, I find that there are many owners with the same kind of issues with their Honda. We need to get this out to Honda and get them fix the issue with their cars. "Never Buy Honda Again"

- , North Brunswick, NJ, USA