7.6

$1,668.00

2. repaint the whole car (13 reports)
  3. repainted (6 reports)
  4. repaint the car (5 reports)
2004 Honda Odyssey body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Odyssey:

2004 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 042016

Odyssey EX 3.2L V6

Bought our 2004 Odyssey in October, 2015. Paint looked really good until just recently when we noticed peeling paint above the left rear quarter window, and on the roof. Evidently a pretty common problem with the dark blue paint: I wish we had known!

- , Auburn, WA, USA

Mar 012015

Odyssey

As expensive as the Honda Odyssey is, even USED, peeling paint should not be an issue I have to spend thousands to fix. I purchased this van used from a dealership. It looked decent when I bought it. Within 1 month the paint was peeling all over the body of the vehicle. My guess is that it was garaged or not driven much prior to my purchasing it. Unacceptable that the warranty on the recall for the paint is expired.

- , Bloomington, IL, USA

Jul 312015

Odyssey EXL

click to see larger images

I purchased my Honda Oddessy, which had no problem with the paint when I bought it. Now that time has passed, I have noticed that there is a peeling paint on top of my van all the way across it. It has very low mileages and is kept in my garage, there is no excuse for the paint to be peeling. I had wash my vehicle with the softest scrubbers and low pressure water as well. I can not grasp why my van is having this issue with the paint other than it is defected paint.

- , bourbonnais, IL, USA

Dec 312014

click to see larger images

paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling

We bought our '04 Odyssey used back in 2009, and missed the paint peel recall that expired in 2011 because our problem began after that expiration date. There are multiple areas peeling, with the top and the hood being the worst. The top started first, and is more of a smooth brush off, and the hood is a flaky peel. There are also areas at the passenger windows and by the rear hatch. It's bad enough I have to drive a minivan, and now looking like I don't take care of my car adds insult to injury (btw, it's garaged when not away from home). It's obvious it's a manufacturing problem, so the recall should have never ended!

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 012015

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

In less than six months the paint around the top rear quarter windows and the right rear sliding door is coming off like water paint! After talking to Honda dealer and American Honda, they had an extended warranty that expired in 2010 for this issue with Midnight Pearl 2004 Odysseys. They claim that the warranty has expired (with unlimited mileage) and therefore they "will not be able to provide any financial assistance to repair their defective workmanship".

Utterly ridiculous response considering that they know it's their defective workmanship and they're just hiding behind an expired warranty. This is not normal wear and tear - Until now, I was an advocate for Honda vehicles.

I would not recommend purchasing a Honda because their "word" means nothing when it comes to backing up their quality.

- , Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Dec 062013

Odyssey EX W/ DVD 3.5L 240hp V6

About 2 1/2 years ago, I noticed paint peeling and chipping above the right passenger sliding door. I thought it was just wear and tear. Now, however, paint is missing on the hood, roof, and around the left window for the third row seat. Does Honda really want their cars on the road to be represented like this? In parking lots, I try to avoid parking next to nice cars like BMW's and Mercedes - Benz's so I don't get humiliated. My wife used to own a 1998 Accord, and it had the same problem, except more severe. My car looks like crap! My co - worker drives a 1999 Dodge Durango and a 1998 Nissan Sentra, and none of them have peeling paint! ( Ok, maybe just a few chips, but that is NORMAL wear & tear ). Honda should really recall these cars!

- , Long Island, NY, USA

Jul 222015

Odyssey EX V6

In Sept 2015 I noticed the paint above the sliding door had a large portion missing and the gray from the body of the van was exposed. I am shorter and was wiping the windows when it caught my attention, normally it would not have been in my line of vision as it is the side roof. I Googled repair options and found that there are thousands of Odyssey owners having the same problem and this has been ongoing.

I called up Honda Corporation to be told that there was a recall but our van was not included (the same story for others). I asked if there was a goodwill gesture being offered by Honda to cover this problem and was told it was a case by case basis, that we would need to take it to the dealership. I have no idea why it wouldn't be covered.

Also, it would seem that it would be far cheaper for Honda to handle the problems as they come up rather than a forced recall called by the government. I understand that there are those who take advantage of every opening that a corporation offers which makes it hard for a corporation to do the right thing, even still this is a big enough problem that they need to regain ground and show that are they fixing the faulty paint.

People who once bought a van are now in the market for a smaller car, more than likely they will not choose Honda simply because of the long history of transmission & paint problems (among others). Easier and better to try something new from a younger company who is busting tail to climb to the top spot.

We need to keep at Honda to right this problem.

- , Hayden, ID, USA

Jul 152015

Odyssey LX 3500/6/D

This 2004 Honda Odyssey paint is oxidizing across the hood. There are signs that this is also beginning on the roof of the car. The car is a dark green/gray color with a white chalky appearance on the hood. Honda says that this problem only occurs on the dark color cars. Well, what is dark green/gray paint? I am told that this is usual wear and tear on the car. I see older models cars of manufacturers and their paint is holding just fine.

I have had only the dealership work on this car and have had all recommended repair and maintenance taken care of. I was highly encouraged to purchase the additional warranty to cover the possible transmission failure that was occurring frequently in the 2004 Odysseys.

So now that this car, that has been so well maintained, is beginning to look like hell, and the dealership will not own up to the problems with their paint? Really?Our neighbors have a 1997 Cadillac that looks nicer than my Honda's paint job. What should I do try to do or reach out to to have this paint fixed?

- , Richardson, USA

Jan 012014

Odyssey Limited 3.2L

click to see larger images

I first noticed the paint was chipping about two years ago. I brought it to the dealer and he said it was normal wear and tear. It kept getting worse and paint strips were pealing off in many locations (see photos). I looked online about six months ago to learn if others were having the same problem and saw that this was a problem for many people. My car still runs great and will likely to continue to run great for many years (we take care of it mechanically). However, nobody in my family wants to drive it because it is embarrassing.

I looked into the cost of painting it and it is a ridiculous amount to pay for a car this old. It seems to me that if Honda knows that this is a problem and has been a problem with this color and this model for many years, they should be willing to repaint the cars at their cost.

The car is currently being used as a backup car for my husband and I who drive to work together. When one of us is home and the other at work, it gets used, with reluctance, by one of us. I have a daughter who is going to be commuting from college to work and needs a car. We would like to give her this but she is adamant that it is too embarrassing for her to drive. I understand her reluctance. Any thoughts on how to get this problem fixed and paid for by the people who should have done it right in the first place? Mechanically, the car is great. This problem taints my opinion of Honda and has moved us towards Toyotas and Mazda. Help!

- , Haverhill, MA, USA

Jun 032008

Odyssey

We moved in 2008. When we noticed the peeling along the top of the sliding door, it was in the winter. By the time we took it to the dealer and found out there was a recall, we were two month beyond the cut off date. Honda would not grace us in, even though 2 months over. I believe the recall was timed to end just about the time the problem surfaced. The van is a disgrace. The engine runs fine, but it is embarrassing and we will NEVER recommend Honda to anyone else. I, along with others, can't believe that Honda wishes to be represented this way on the roads.

- , Nicholasville, KY, USA

Dec 122014

Odyssey 3.5L V6

THIS IS VERY ANNOYING WE ATTEND A LOT OF CAR SHOWS AND MY CAR LOOKS LIKE CRAP!!! I CAN'T EVEN WASH MY CAR WITHOUT FLAKES OF PAINT COMING OFF. AT FIRST IT WAS ONLY ON THE PASSENGER SIDE ON THE TOP OF THE SLIDING DOOR, BUT NOW IT'S ON THE DRIVER SIDE!!! I AM SICK AND TIRED OF MY SHOW CAR LOOKING LIKE IT HAS SOME KIND OF DISEASE!!!!

- , Martinez, GA, USA

Dec 202013

Odyssey ES 3.5L V6

In year 10, the hood, roof, and side door have been peeling. It looks hideous. I can't believe Honda is ok with just letting their vehicles look like this and not care to do anything about it. I really want to put up a sign on my van saying don't buy Honda, unless you like this paint job!! It is beyond embarrassing and frustrating. It makes me think of doing things that I would never do ugghh.

- , tolland, CT, USA

May 082014

Odyssey EX-L

In the summer 2013 the paint started to peel off in large pieces on my 2004 Honda Odyssey. It was only on the roof and the inside track of the sliding doors so it didn't bother me that much. In Spring 2014 the peeling started to happen on the hood of the van and it got worse. Pieces were peeling off in pieces that exceeded 8" and you could peel them off like a large sticker. I was told there was nothing I could do so I bought some auto spray paint to fix it myself or at least keep it from peeling more.

Now, January 2015 the back of the van has a piece that exceeds 10" and literally every day it is getting worse. I took it to the dealership and they told me that the warranty was expired as was the recall. Well, I NEVER received any notification of any recall. My van only has 135,000 miles and runs perfectly. But it looks like crap. :( I can't sell it or trade it in because of the appearance I will get barely 1/2 of the value. I want Honda to step up and do what is right.

- , Green Bay, WI, USA

May 012013

Odyssey EX V6

Midnight blue pearl paint chipping/peeling. Car was purchased in 2008 but issue with paint was noticed a couple of years ago. I became aware of a recall made in 2008 through research online but I have never received a notification. I serviced my car in Honda dealership and they have never mentioned the recall. They laughed in my face when I complained about it.

The car really looks awful and people are making comments. Honda should resolve this if it was identified as a manufacturing issue regardless of time. This is my second Honda (owned a new Accord before), but will never buy a Honda again. Terrible experience with this costly problem.

- , Kitchener, Ontario, canada

Jun 012014

Odyssey LS V6

Paint started peeling off on the back door, on roof above sliding doors and on sliding doors.

- , Holland, MI, USA

Jun 012012

Odyssey EX-L V6

Midnight blue pearl paint chipping/peeling. Car was purchased in 2007 but issue with paint was noticed a couple of years ago. Can't pinpoint a specific date because problem has been progressive. Was just made aware of a recall made in 2008 through research online but we never received a notification. Dealer made mention of the recall when car brought in for service a few months ago but said warranty period had expired.

Really like the car but really looks like crap and think Honda should resolve issue if it was identified as a manufacturing issue regardless of time.

- , Kings Mills, OH, USA

Sep 182012

Odyssey LX

The paint is peeling on every part of the Honda Odyssey.

- , Redding, CT, USA

Feb 022014

Odyssey

Problem is a real eyesore. Got an estimate to have repainted out of pocket just the hood was quoted @$800.00, Peeling is not limited to hood. Never received recall notice for paint, car has been in dealership for other recall and no mention of the paint.

- , Glen Allen, VA, USA

Mar 012014

Odyssey EXL

I noticed peeling and chipping paint around the top of the sliding door tracks months ago and took extra care to keep waxed and out of the elements. The other day I was washing and waxing car and noticed a patch of peeling paint on roof about 2" in diameter as well as numerous dots of rust. I also noticed a significant amount of extra peeling paint around upper door tracks. The black painted trim around window is pitting and has oxidation.

This makes no sense since I keep my car in garage and maintain my car with great care. I was really upset as my car was not inexpensive and I purchased a Honda for their above average ratings. I have looked up this issue online and noticed it's a common problem that Honda is aware of and acknowledges it's due to poor paint primer. The problem is they don't care. I always told family and friends that I loved my Honda Odyssey and had an Honda Element and loved that car as well, but traded up to Odyssey for traveling . I was thinking about trading my Odyssey in for a new car but not now! I'm not happy with the cost I have to cover to fix a problem Honda should cover.

I hope other Honda owners read this and think twice before purchasing a Honda. If you are a Honda owner with the same problem, do as I do and take the time to make your problems known to others and to Honda by writing your complaints on sites like this , Facebook , Honda website and Honda owners website,

- , Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jan 012011

Odyssey

Bought my car new at the local Honda dealer (Curry Honda), had every single service done there. My van was garaged from the day it was purchased. Though I received the recall notice, I filed it away because the paint wasn't peeling at that time. By the time it started, the warranty period had expired and Honda would do nothing for me. I am so disappointed in how I was treated. Until this happened, I had highly recommended the dealership to everyone. never again. I wouldn't set foot on their lot now. Though my Van was garaged and maintained the whole time I've owned it I won't get much for it when I sell because it looks awful.

- , Yorktown, NY, USA