7.6

$1,668.00

2. repaint the whole car (13 reports)
  3. repainted (6 reports)
  4. repaint the car (5 reports)
2004 Honda Odyssey body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Odyssey:

2004 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 152010

Odyssey LX V6

This should not be happening on a van that cost this much to buy. I should not be expected to pay to fix this issue.

- , New Providence, NJ, USA

Jan 012013

Odyssey EXL

Peeling paint!!! Contacted Honda and they are aware of paint primmer issue for years and fail to fix. Told by customer service rep. out of 3 year warranty , so out of luck.!!! Really... spend a fortune fore Honda Odyssey EXL and told if paint peels and chips after 3 years, too bad. Honda doesn't care about their current owners , only possible new ones.

- , Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jul 102008

Odyssey

The paint on my 2004 Honda Odyssey began peeling years ago. The paint peeled on the sides, roof and most noticeable on the hood. I never new about the recall and was never contacted by the Honda Corporation. The hood, was so bad that I had it replaced which cost 435 dollars. It will be impossible for me to sell the van in this condition. I would like to get reimbursed for the cost of the hood. I have contacted Rick Case Honda and explained the situation. I have written a letter to the Honda Corporation asking for assistance in this matte.

Sincerely,

Estrella E. Kaufman

- , Cooper City, FL, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey LX V6

The paint on my entire car is peeling. Honda knows there is a problem with the paints for the Odysseys for this year. They supposedly sent out a recall notice that I never got. When my car started peeling and I did some research on the issue I found out about the notice. The problem is that the recall has now expired and now they won't fix it. The body with no paint on it is going to rot out on me.

They knew there was a problem and they didn't make sure to get a hold of me!!!! I had the car at the dealer several times during the time period when the recall was still active and nobody said anything to me!!!

- , Yardley, PA, USA

Mar 262012

Odyssey EX

I HAVE A HONDA ODYSSEY 2004 HAD A PEELING PAINT PROBLEM HAD A TOUCH UP PAINT JOB THATS WHAT HONDA CALLS IT ! THAT WAS ONE YR AGO NOW THE PAINT IS PEELING WHERE U LIFT THE TAILGATE I CALLED HONDA AND THEY SAY THAT IS NOT COVERED ! REALLY THE HAD AN UNDERCOAT PROBLEM WITH THE PROBLEM BEING THE PAINT DON'T STICK . I BELIEVE THAT IS A DEFECT ? WELL TO CUT IT SHORT THEY WILL NOT COVER IT TOLD ME TO BAD ! SO NOW I HAVE A VAN THAT I HAVE KEPT IN MINT COND AND HALF OF IT WILL HAVE THE PAINT OFF IT REALLY ? I THINK THIS IS CRAP I PAID 6 YRS ON THIS VAN AT 600 A MONTH NEVER LATE PAID OFF BEFORE ITS TIME AND THIS IS HONDA STANDING BY THEIR CRAP ? IM A SINGLE PARENT REALLY ? DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHAT I CAN DO ? I THINK HONDA SHOULD FIX IT. I DON'T CARE HOW OLD IT IS !!!! LIKE I SAID MY VAN IS IN MINT COND. DONE ALL MAINTENANCE RUNS GREAT NEVER HAS BROKE DOWN ! FEEL THEY SHOULD STAND UP AND DO RITE BY THEIR CUSTOMERS LIKE ME !!! HELP !!!

- , Aurora, IL, USA

Sep 012012

Odyssey EX V6

Last September, paint started chipping and peeling on the top of the sliding doors on my white 2004 Odyssey. Since then, I have noticed peeling on the hood and the roof of the van. I have taken very good care of this vehicle and it only has 54,000 miles on it so I am not at all happy the the exterior is starting to look like crap. I knew there was a problem with the 2004 blue Odyssey's but had not read or heard about any issues with the white until I started researching online. I have been a loyal Honda owner (this is my third and I keep them a long time) but also had a peeling paint problem with my white 1991 Accord. It started peeling when the car was about 14 years old and I eventually ended up having the entire car reprinted. It was stolen 3 years later! I am going to contact the dealer where I purchased the van but I don't have any delusions about them or Honda corporate caring about my 9 year old vehicle. This will be the last Honda I ever buy.

- , Burbank, CA, USA

May 012013

click to see larger images

paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling

On my 2004 Honda Odyssey the midnight blue paint is peeling near the back windows. It began in May of this year. I must be lucky because the other complaints about peeling paint for other owners began sooner in their ownership. Now... I have been checking on this complaint on the internet. I came across a letter that Honda sent out about this problem. They were helping pay for some of the cost, but this was a temporary offer. My car was not peeling at the time, and I didn't think anything about it. Now, I want to have them repaint the area. If something is not done soon, it will continue onto the roof. I really take good care of my van, and feel it looks terrible right now!

When I went in to have the oil changed this week, I said something to the technician, he blew me off. He said it is just normal wear and tear, (Really, up by the windows?) He also did not mention anything about the letter sent out by Honda.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 302011

paint is peeling paint is peeling

This is a highly blue paint on Honda Odyssey, it started right around the time that the 7 yr warranty expired. I brought it to the local dealership and they said they would not fix it b/c I brought it in after the warranty. It's amazing to me that if I had bought a different color this wouldn't have had this issue. I have bought Hondas all my life and they really have let me down.

- , Harrisburg, NC, USA

click to see larger images

paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling

It's not just the blue Odysseys with the paint problems.. It's the white ones too! 1+ years ago I noticed some paint flaking off in weird spots. Just thought they were rock chip marks then it started getting worse. A couple of months ago I parked next to another white Odyssey of the same year and color at a store and noticed paint peeling in the same areas. I asked the lady about it and she said it was a known problem with our make and model. Went to the dealership, was told it was out of warranty. They told me I can try to call American Honda, same response, but added that my car was not included in the recall only blue and black ones.. Totally irritated I asked the lady if she thought that a cars paint job should last more than 9yrs.. My GMC truck was bought in the same year and has been exposed to the same environment and the paint still looks great. I bought the Honda because of superior quality and great resale value. Boy was I wrong! Honda really need to do right in this.

- , Vancouver, WA, USA

Apr 012010

Odyssey EX 6

paint is peeling paint is peeling

the peeling pain is much worst now; It continues to peel. Honda wont take responsibility on it because its out of warranty already. If there is any class action lawsuit against Honda , pls inform me or add me to the list.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 302010

Odyssey

Horrible paint peeling that started on the sliding doors. Have been online and noticed there is only a recall for the blue colored models???

- , Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Sep 202012

Odyssey ES 3.5L

I have a 2004 blue Honda odyssey. It stated with bubbles at the rear gate and it is spreading and peeling off like a hell. I noticed that the paint on the roof top had already completely peeled off . Honda America and local Honda dealer said they can't do anything about it as it is outside of warranty period. However, it is DEFINITELY a problem of manufacturing and they should fix this problem ASAP before it is too late. SHAME ON HONDA!!!

- , Southborough, MA, USA

Odyssey ES

click to see larger images

I've been in contact with Honda America about my paint problem. Their response was 'so sorry, out of the extended service warranty' - which I never heard about. Apparently there was a letter mailed; I never received it. My car is 6 - 18 months out of this warranty, depending on who you ask (and I was told it really didn't matter anyway, one day out of warranty and you are SOL) - my beef is: the paint is DEFECTIVE. FIX IT.

You know there is a problem, good grief, do the right thing.

Update from Jan 29, 2015: Parts of my car that were specifically left out of the warranty extension are now peeling. What a disgrace, Honda.

I now enjoy driving my peeling car around and telling everyone I run into NEVER BUY A HONDA~!

- , Islip, NY, USA

Odyssey EXL

paint is peeling paint is peeling

This is a known defect under honda service bulletin 08-31 may21,2008. Paint Peeling on Dark Blue 2003–05 Odysseys.

My paint has started peeling over the roof and on hood, contacted the honda they simply say will not fix it. So upset with Honda, will not give up so easily, have notified my state consumer agency and next step will be going to small court.

- , Centreville, VA, USA

Aug 092009

Odyssey EX V6

Blue paint peeled. It looked trashy. Then it had to be redone. It was such a pain. Saw it happening to other odysseys in parking lots. hood and roof only. Dealer was good about it. Fair. Still it never quite matched up.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 042010

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

The paint delaminated on the hood, leaving a big gray blotch. The Honda dealer re-painted it even though it was out of warranty. A month later, paint started falling off every surface on the van. Now I have large gray blotches showing through on every side and surface. The roof is rusting in three areas. The back door has a large gray blotch about 6" in diameter. Looks terrible. The drivers side passenger door is delaminating below the window. The paint flakes off not your clothing every time you enter/exit vehicle. The dealer says that the paint delimitation is the result of a known factory painting defect, but cannot cover the cost to repaint. My vehicle has 156,000 miles and it looks horrible. I do not know what to do to get Honda to re-paint the vehicle, but I cannot afford to paint every surface and fix the rusting roof. I do not understand why Honda will not correct a known factory defect. My car looks really bad and it has ruined any resale value I have left.

- , Kettering, OH, USA

Jul 202011

Odyssey

the paint is peeling off the hood in several spots and the clear coat is peeling from the rear drivers side passenger door. Brought it to local dealer and also sent pictures to american honda. neither of them will do anything to fix it.

- , Mattituck, NY, USA

Nov 012011

Odyssey EX-L V6

I have a red Odyssey and it the paint is peeling in the same area as the Blue recalled cars. I called Honda Customer Service and they said they have "no known issues with red cars". When I asked how it was possible that my paint is pealing in the same area as the Blue recalled one they said it was a coincidence.

Really? Honda uses a batch process for manufacturing based on van color? It is not defective paint color it is defective prepping and/or primer. The same defective primer and prepping which caused problems or blue is the same cause for red.

- , Hudsonville, MI, USA

Apr 012011

Odyssey EX-L E3.2L V6

Noticed paint was peeling and looked it up on the web and found a long string of similar complaints.

Apparently the problem is with a bad primer coat, where the paint won't stick to the primer.

They issued a service bulletin extending the paint warranty to seven years, but it looks like I'm outside that warranty. A paint job should last more than seven years. This is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Canoga Park, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Odyssey LZ V6

I am very disappointed in Honda. I have been a lifelong Honda loyalist. My first car was a Civic, my next car an Accord, and when I had children, I bought an Odyssey. I bought Hondas because I like cars that are worth their cost in reliability, safety, resale value, and appearance.

Late last year, I brought my 2004 Odyssey to the dealer for service, at which time I also asked about this weird patch on the front door where the clear coat appeared to be peeling away. I was told that there had been some auto work done on that door, and that I needed to bring it back to the body shop to inquire. Since then, however, the clear coat has begun to peel in two other areas on the car as well... areas not ever touched by a body shop... near the rear left tire and on the roof. Additionally a clear coating appears to be flaking off the rims of the tires, leaving some rusting on the rims, etc. You can literally peel it off in these places where it has begun to shed it's coat.

So yesterday, I went browsing on the internet and learned this is a KNOWN issue. In fact, Honda released an extended warranty for Odysseys purchased between 2003-2005 but only for Odysseys that are black, blue or red where the problem will be most readily visible.

This is my great disappointment. Things happen. I get that. Sometimes parts or materials get swapped for cheaper parts or materials and they aren't as good; companies have the right to try and reduce costs and then deal with the consequences when they occur. But to learn that they KNEW this would be an issue... of course for all Odyssey owners with cars purchased in the time that I bought my car, but to report this issue only to those who they estimated would see it, is deceptive and completely destroys my former trust in the Honda brand. I no longer trust that they are as committed to profits as they are to value for their customers--a win/win for business and driver. I now believe they are only committed to profits and I will no longer trust their product for this reason.

I also want the problem fixed and will pursue it to the end.

- , Woodinville, WA, USA