1.8

2005 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 092009

Odyssey

When the car reaches a speed of 30-40 miles an hour the eco gear kicks in causing the car to vibrate and shake under the car in the transmission area. I have been told by the dealer that it was motor mounts, torque converter, wheel alignment, etc. I have found a class action suit that was filed in California. I want to be add to that lawsuit if possible.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 302012

Odyssey

Transmission buzzes and shifts at 11 mph when not needing to do so.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 102013

Odyssey

Power steering does not work well at low speeds (I.e. parking and turning corners). Vehicle is hard to turn and could result in crash. Also, rear motor has failed, which could result in undesirable shifting of transmission.

- Ames, IA, USA

Aug 092013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I purchase this vehicle new from dealer with minimal problems until about 85,000 mile when my wife was driving the vehicle on the highway at 65 mph the vehicle started to shake uncontrollably and she was barely able to get to the shoulder of the road. I drove the vehicle for two day and could not replicate this problem I had the tires balanced to ensure that this was not the issue. My sister-in-law drove the car and the problem happened again to her, she was very concerned because of the way the vehicle shakes uncontrollably at 65 mph. I then started to investigate this problem to find many articles on how the rear motor mount fails on vehicles with as little as 50,000 miles. The dealer states this is a drivability issue and the vehicle will be fine with a new motor mount at the tune of $700. I have owned many vehicles and never had a motor mount issue. Due to the fact that this vehicle has a front wheel drive system when the mount fails the engine does not just rise in the engine compartment but begins to vibrate with the vehicles tires in motion.

- Glen Head, NY, USA

Jul 052013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving 50-55mph on the highway, when my engine malfunction and blinking "D" indicator came on, I took it to a mechanic and immediately he told me he had other Honda come in with the same problem, he told me it was a problem with the transmission, and it was something frequently in model year from 1999-2006, and that Honda was ignoring the problem, please help I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey and it giving the same issues.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 082013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The vehicle was a 2005 Honda Odyssey. I was traveling with my two children on the highway, going 75 mph and suddenly saw a flume of smoke behind my car. I notice the RPM jumped and I stepped on the brake immediately. It smelled like some liquid was burning. Pull the car over onto the side of the interstate and look to find smoke coming from under the hood and the transmission fluid had leaked and sprayed all over the engine, hoses, battery, radiator, etc - causing the smell. Towed it back to my house. When the car got to the house, the tow truck driver showed us that the atf had leaked probably completely out of the transmission. I would like for Honda to recall the transmission and fix my car. It's not only a defective transmission, it also a hazardous - what if it had caught on fire - when the fluid sprayed out.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Mar 202013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The throttle goes to idle setting while driving and does not respond to the gas pedal. The problem is intermittent. The throttle responds again after about a minute after the problem occurs.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jun 032008

Odyssey

Have had a few problems since purchased van new. First problem around "08 is a vibrating-shuddering felt in steering wheel. At about 35- 45 mph and just before the "econo" would kick in, I would feel the vibrating start. If I increase my speed quickly and get on up to about 50mph, it would stop. Thought it needed a tune-up..did that-still vibrated. Thought it was transmission-had it flushed-still vibrated. It wasn't a constant problem back in "08, but irritating.now in 2013 it is many times a day and shudders very badly. Took it to Honda dealer today about the escalated vibrations. Test drove it and said vibrations were from torque converter and needed to replace transmission.also needed timing belt replaced. I did'nt expect to hear transmission-expected to hear rear motor mount(600.00) needed replacing. I specifically took my van in to check the motor mount.when he said torque converter/transmission I asked him what the motor mounts looked like. He said the tech did'nt mention that.no one likes to hear they are about to inccur some expensive repairs, but I did'nt expect to hear transmission replacement at 170,000 miles.the fellow at the dealership stated that"heck, that is really good for the 2005 Odyssey".our Nissan truck had over 300,000 miles and our Dodge duelly has over 200,000 miles neither with transmission issues.so, this issue still remains unrepaired-waiting on estimate from dealership. Yikes! the passenger sliding door has not operated correctly for 3-4 years now. It does'nt close all the way. If you open the sliding door, when you close it itwill beep like its not closed.you have to get out and manually slam it shut. They said it may be the motor...too much to fix it..so we just don't use it.recently while pulling into parking spaces, I hear a whinning sound and steering is more difficult.

- Asheboro, NC, USA

Jan 162013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have very low mileage and the transmission seems to be going out. Also the rear main seal has blown. The mechanic says because of the transmission it affect the rear seal. I know Honda has had several issues with its transmissions and they have helped some people and not others. I filed a claim and was denied yet it seems there are issues that are the same as others that have been helped.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 082012

Odyssey 6-cyl

When vehicle shifts from 2nd to 3rd, there is a delay(grind). A and B pillars are week and produce a whistling noise starting at 35 mph. The rear bench (the bigger part of the split bench) will not latch down to the floor. Pax run flat tires are deflating with no age or puncture related problems. All of these are safety hazards. Rear lift gate struts failed and will not lift up rear door and can cause the door to crash down.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 052013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The van is having transmission shudder issues when driving at about 30 to 40 mph. No warning lights on the dash board yet.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 182012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Had our 05 Odyssey ex-L in for standard servicing and was told rear and passenger side motor mounts required replacing (at a cost of $1200+)! van experiences noticeable noise and vibration as is shifts in and out of the eco phase of engine operation. I have never owned a vehicle that required motor mount replacement and after research, a service bulletin was apparently issued back in 2006 on this issue. This appears to be a widespread issue on the 2005 time frame Odyssey. This is clearly an engineering issue and should be addressed thru Honda via recall!

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 122012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was returning home and after driving on the freeway for approximately 45 minutes of driving at approximately 65 mph I heard a pop under the hood of my van and began to see smoke. I was unable to accelerate and had to turn on my hazard lights and pull off the freeway at the next exit. Upon taking my vehicle to my mechanic, I was told my transmission had failed.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Jul 122012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Motor surges while driving down the highway.

- Franklinton , LA, USA

Jul 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Without warning, on a busy interstate in birmingham, al while traveling to Florida on vacation, my vehicle's transmission burned up and gave out. There was no warning light, no hint of an issue prior to it failing, and a transmission flush and fill was performed at 60,000 miles two years ago, per the recommended interval by Honda. I had to pull over two lanes to the shoulder in rush hour traffic at full speed with my car smoking and spewing transmission fluid all over the roadway and cars (plus a motorcycle) that were behind me.

- O Fallon, MO, USA

Jul 022012

Odyssey

I want people to know that Honda now has a software fix for shuddering transmission problems and shaking. Our 2005 Odyssey touring would shake between 35-45 mph. We had the transmission serviced several time and never had a broken engine mount. Honda just came out with this fix in late June 2012 and it seems to have solved our problem. Our Honda garage installed this software update for free even though we now have 122K. It only takes 15 minutes. Hope this helps.

- Vermilion, OH, USA

Jun 012012

Odyssey

Vehicle has been exhibiting a very harsh shaking/vibration while in eco mode. This is distracting as well as uncomfortable. Recently the vibration has gotten so bad, we can not see out of any of the mirrors as the shaking vibrates them to the point of complete uselessness. The worst part is that we just paid $2000 at a dealership to replace the rear motor mount and flush transmission again. We have had this van since 60K and serviced transmission four times now, replacing motor mount twice. This time, with no apparent effect.

- Coffeyville, KS, USA

Feb 272012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The consumer is experiencing problems with the transmission. When the vehicle is going 45 mph or greater the RPM's drops down to about 1400 RPM's. when shifting into over drive. The engine begins to vibrates and will continue up to 55 mph. When accelerating above 55 mph the problem disappears. Owner has taken the vehicle to the dealer and has also contacted the manufacturer. Neither has a solution to this problem. Provide further details.

- Mint Hill, NC, USA

Jan 072012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Just bought a 2005 Honda Odyssey. Right off the lot got on the freeway and the check engine light came on and started shuttering and slipping. Very unhappy, slapped down $4000 as a down payment and financed the rest. Now I own a van that has major problems and no cash to fix it. Haven't even had it for a day and it already has transmission problems. Need Honda to fix it at their expense. Their impeccable reputation is getting destroyed with this transmission problem that all Odyssey owners are having with models 2005- 2009. They charge a premium for their vehicles and should be forced to repair their defective transmissions regardless of mileage on vehicles. Our government needs to step in and help its citizens with this problem.

- Atwater , CA, USA

Mar 172010

Odyssey 6-cyl

Vehicle vibrates while driving at low speed and engine RPM.

- Pinson, AL, USA