1.8

2005 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 222016

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am the original owner of a 2005 Honda Odyssey. In 2014, while driving up hill on the grapevine in gorman, ca I hit the gas to accelerate, but nothing happened. The speedometer did not move. It was stuck on 40mps. I tried pushing on the gas, but that did nothing. It was as if the transmission was just not working. I started to loose power as was able to pull over by divine intervention. Thank you aaa for towing me to scott robinsons Honda- torrance, ca. After all of this and they said it was a speed sensor that needed to be replaced. The dealership said that is what it was, so that is what it has to be. They never make mistakes. On June 22, 2016 going up hill, and trying to accelerate to pick up speed, the speedometer would not move. Pushing on the gas did nothing. I continued to move until the hill became to steep, and the car just stopped. Starting to roll backwards, I hit the brakes and held on for deal life. Once again aaa had to tow my car to Honda. Well, guess what they said this time. You need a new transmission. Yes, that is what they said this 2nd time. At 140K miles, I need a new transmission, and it is going to cost me $6,000. Wft! my 1997 Ford Windstar is still going strong with 250K miles. I have tried to contact Honda, but I am getting nowhere. No return calls, no communication nothing. I will never buy Honda anything again.

- Rpv, CA, USA

Jun 222016

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda oddysey. While driving up an incline at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. It was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a new transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The approxmate failure mileage was 144,400.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Jul 052015

Odyssey

Travel at high speed iaw speed limits and traffic flow, noticed surging (like slipping) from transmission, noticed drive indicator blinking, engine revs surging with transmission surges. I hope to make nearest safe area to pull over (rest plaza less than 7 miles away) got 4 miles. Had reduced speed to relieve stress on transmission and engine. Speed continued to reduce suddenly to below 45 mph before I was able to find safe location to pull over. Transmision locked into drive position could not shift to any gear. No grinding sounds were ever heard. I was by myself but this could have happened to anyone. Could lead to death from being hit from rear by another car or truck as transmission's rapid rate of deceleration cause by its failure. Looked up blinking transmission indicator and did not find any warning or notification as to possible cause. Found out that Honda odessesy's transmission has history of catistrophic failure if not serviced every 35K (varies according to complaint). Again no wqarning of this possible event mentioned in owner's manuel. Since I bought the car used I had no knowledge of this problem or its service record. I did have it serviced shortly after buying it but again had no warning. Ironically, I'm an automotive reliability/safety manager by profession.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Apr 112015

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. While driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not stop. The contact had to turn the ignition to the off position in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brakes and transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V504000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Carpinteria, CA, USA

Aug 202014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Complete transmission failure due to internal heat build-up and gear disintegration.

- N. Syracuse, NY, USA

Aug 012011

Odyssey

When the car is about 45-50 mph the engine shutters. It feels like I'm driving over railroad tracks. The car also shutters when the eco light comes on. I've been told that the torque converter is failing and that it is a known failure in this model and year. Honda needs to do a recall on this because this is a defective transmission.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 172014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Bought our 2nd Odyssey in May 2014. Used. 153000miles. Took to Honda dealer to make sure all service was up to date. Oil and transmission fluid changed. They said everything was good despite a shudder we felt at 40 45 mph. Driving in July on a 12 hr family trip and we hear a high pitched whine only upon acceleration. The transmission failed. Left us stranded 14 hrs from home. Had to borrow a van from a family member to get all 7 of us home again. The car is now in the shop, needing a $2200. Repair. Not happy with Honda!! the 2000 Odyssey has had 3 transmissions put in, the 1st tranny was recalled by Honda and replaced at no cost @ 80K. The 2nd tranny we paid for and failed at 180K. Thought the 2005 model had the tranny problem fixed. Apparently not! buyer beware! we will never purchase another Honda.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

Jul 032014

Odyssey

Our 2005 Honda Odyssey had a transmission failure on the way out of town from Georgia to Florida over the 4th of July weekend. On Wednesday we just had an O2 sensor and recall work (master cylinder & one other issue) completed at a Honda dealer in Georgia. I then took it down the street to get two new tires put on the vehicle at a tire service center. They checked the vehicle out for travel, gave us the green light and bam! by 6pm the following day the transmission solenoids were both reported failed: P0746 pressure control solenoid "a" performance/stuck off P0777 pressure control solenoid "B" stuck on P0741 torque converter clutch circuit performance/stuck off we hobbled into panama city, where I booked a car rental from the airport. The dealer immediately assessed the issues as a transmission failure. We have returned to atlanta on a 14 day car rental scrambling to find a new car. The quote for replacing the transmission is $3K. This is prohibitive on a 2005. Honda corporation refused a goodwill assistance request. Case number available upon request. At that point I will has spent $3.2K on the car, $400 in car rentals (in Georgia while service was being performed, and Florida to get home). My guess is if I don't fix the transmission there will be no trade-in value for the vehicle. It's got bumper, interior and fender damage, so there isn't much hope even if I do go forward with the replacement. Also, the alpharetta service center said the transmission fluid looked fine, and Honda in pc said it was burnt. There explanation was a part failure in the transmissions burned the fluid. It would have been nice to have an early warning of a catastrophic failure before a 330 mile road trip. Updated 02/26/2015

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Mar 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I'd been experiencing symptoms of judder for over 3 years that I have been driving Odyssey. It's rare and hard to replicate, so never bothered taking to Honda dealership or any other mechanic. I recently learned that Honda had a service bulletin but I was not aware of the same. It basically means Honda knew about the problem and there were other owners who had experienced similar problem. (per Honda it's a service bulletin, but not a recall, so I was not pro-actively informed about it). As part of the service bulletin they extended the warranty (8 years/105K miles) and would fix the issue for free. I was not aware of this. Service bulletin: 12-029 when I learned about this my vehicle had crossed the age but not the mileage (2014 and 103K miles). I requested the dealer and Honda to make an exception as I was still within the miles that they had. I had been experiencing the problem long before I was aware, but didn't bother to fix it because it didn't bother my drive. I feel Honda should have fixed the issue for free, especially a known issue. Add to that I am curious why it's treated as service bulletin, but not a recall. In any event I wanted to share with NHTSA, other consumers and Honda.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Jun 202014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission has been whining since 75000K. It failed completely at 142000 miles. Here's what finally killed it, I was making a U turn in a parking lot at my kid's school. I had to have it towed back to the house. This transmission has been a total liability for me and my family. Now we're in a major pickle.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

May 312014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The vehicle started to redline. The speedometer quit working. The check engine light came on. The D light started blinking. No power was going to the wheels. We pulled over, came to a stop, and shut of the engine. There was smoke.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jun 012010

Odyssey

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey touring. There is a strong shuddering and shake when I reach the speeds of 20-30 mph. This also happens when the eco mode engages. I have also noticed that I am not getting the same fuel economy with this issue. I am hesitant to call Honda with my VIN. For the fact of them deleting any recall or problems with my van. After reading many articles about Honda owners experiencing the same issues as mine. My only question to NHTSA. What are you waiting for to make Honda be held responsible for this serious problem. Perhaps Honda is paying you off to ignore the problem exist. I have been contacted by Honda dealerships wanting to purchase my van. I do not have my van listed for sell or have I thought about selling it. How is it they are able to get my address and phone number? this leads me to believe that Honda knows that this problem exist. If they can get owners such as myself for fall for there game plan. The dealer is going to get issue fixed at no charge to them. Then sell the van for much more than they are offering me. Even when I told them no! they continued to call me asking if I would reconsider the offer of selling the van. Is this just coincidence of a cover up by Honda or the demand for these vans is high. Hummmm!

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Apr 142014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Cruising at highway speeds, vehicle suddenly lost acceleration. Added gas increased engine RPM and finally, smoke appeared and the vehicle was pulled over. Was towed to the nearest shop and told that the transmission fluid blew out of itself but could not identify the leak. Shop refilled transmission fluid and sent us on our way. 10 miles down the road, it happened again and this time I didn't rev the engine hard and pulled over to find that the car will not shift, either drive, or reverse. Smell of burning transmission fluid. Towed again to the local transmission shop and was told that the transmission is in need of a rebuild. Cost is upwards of $2500. We cannot afford a rebuilt transmission especially after paying out taxes and being affected by sandy just before. Honda is not helping, was told that there are no known issues with your model year and transmission. I kept insisting that there are many forums out there that say otherwise but Honda will not admit the fact that their transmissions are flawed. The 2006 class action does not affect my year so let's hope more people out there will be able to persuade for another case.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Apr 052014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission on my 2005 Honda Odyssey has to replaced and Honda is claiming that is normal for a transmission to go at 100000 miles. The car drives fine for short distances but then after long distances it goes 5 miles an hour and revs really high. It was towed to Honda where they told me nothing was wrong. I asked them to drain the fluid and replace it. They did that then drove it around and drained it again and it was dirty and burning. They are putting in a refurbished transmission with an extended warranty. I feel that with a Honda the transmission should last a lot longer and think this is a Honda issue.

- Durham, NC, USA

Feb 012013

Odyssey

2005 Honda with 72K mi now exhibiting the classic "shuddering" issue...I.e. between 30-35 and 40-45mph in eco mode. The car literally shakes during acceleration until 50mph. We also experience humming from the transmission. It looks like several complaints regarding the same issue have been posted on the link below www.odysseytransmission.com//problemcases?msgid=510. Honda's response is quite disappointing acknowledging lack of ownership concerning their product; leaving the consumer holding the bag. I feel like we've been sold a bill of goods. We the consumers would graciously appreciate an advocate who will hold grossly lucrative companies like Honda accountable for their product and act in good faith on behalf of the consumer. Your immediate attention is most appreciated.

- Saint Lous, MO, USA

Mar 052014

Odyssey

My wife had a doctor's appointment and was waiting in the office. She has parked the car in parking lot. After sometime all of a sudden car's alarm went off. All from doctor's office rushed out to parking lot to see what happened. She noticed some smoke coming out under the hood. And within seconds car caught fire and burnt. Whole front of the car burnt completely. Insurance company has called it a total loss. I'm still puzzled to figure it out why this has happened. Car was parked and engine was off. Car was maintained as per the Honda's guidelines. There were no problems or warning signs what so ever. It was running perfectly fine. Had only 76000 miles on it. And strongly believe many years of driving left in it. We were pleased with the performance of it over the years. I'd ask NHTSA to look in to the incidence and have Honda contact me and reimburse for our loss which is not at all our fault.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Feb 052013

Odyssey

Car jerks violently when shifting from one gear to another. On December 27, car stopped shifting and stalled on the freeway at night with my family in it. It stopped changing gear while I was going up hill and had to be towed. Luckily I was able to guide it out of the freeway traffic. Car was usually serviced at a Honda dealership.

- Culver Ciy, CA, USA

Feb 052014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On grade or when accelerating slowly between 25-30 mph the vehicle shakes violently. This seams to be a common issue, and still no recalls have been made. Many say it is caused by a faulty torque converter on models from 05-08.

- Danville, IL, USA

Oct 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission trouble happens when first started in the morning. Has shifting problems at every speed. Will never go into top gear until vehicle has warmed up, is turned off, and turned back on. Then shifts normally. Replacing with new ECM (engine control module) did not fix. Was told to replace the mounts too, did not fix either.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 162013

Odyssey

Where do I start....original owner, purchased brand new. No problems for about 3-4 years, and then: Transmission whine, took in to dealer off and on for several years, could never identify issue, they said. But as soon as the drivetrain warranty expired, miraculously, they identified it, and now say I need a new transmission. Motor mounts found to have cracked; problem is very common per internet forums, but Honda dealership denies responsibility for poor design/faulty mounts. Door for second row has issues sliding; another common problem per internet but not per dealer. And finally, the struts for the rear hatch broke, almost injuring my son very badly when he was putting his bike in the back. Took the car to the dealer and asked about a recall and they said no. I paid $300 4 months ago, and just now found that there was a recall 3 years ago, and they denied it!!!!! I hate Honda and will never buy their cars, and do not trust the dealership. Ughhh!!!!

- Mill Valley, CA, USA