2005 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 272013

Odyssey 6-cyl

We took our van in for servicing and complained to the Honda service representative that we have been experiencing vehicle vibrations that became worse during regular highway speeds when the variable cylinder management (vcm) system shifted from 6 to 4 cylinders and back again. We also started experiencing a distinct "clunk" sound during our vacation trip in late June. The Honda dealership inspected the vehicle and discovered that three motor mounts ("front, rear and side motor mounts") had failed and needed replacing. The repairs were made, as well as an oil/filter change, and vehicle multi-point inspection. The subtotal cost for just the motor mount replacement parts and labor was $987.13. We discovered searching on the internet that this type of problem, especially with the rear motor, has been reported numerous times by other 2005, 2006, & 2007 Honda Odyssey exl & touring model owners. We are now seeking "goodwill consideration" for all, or most of the motor mount replacement cost, since learning that the Odyssey hasn't been recalled for checks since the 1 December 2006 service bulletin 06-083.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Jun 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am very disappointed with my Honda Odyssey. We have always had Honda cars and have found them to be reliable until now. After reading all of the recalls on my personal vehicle, I can honestly say that 90% of the recalls or complaints have happened with my car as well. Most frustrating is the engine motor mounts. Brakes, tires, and vibration when reaching 60 miles per hour have always been an issue. After spending lots of money on these issues over the years, it seems that two broken engine motor mounts as well as one more cracked one could be the reason. My car doesn't seem safe and I can't believe that Honda will not listen to the complaints of their customers. The more I talk with others, the more I realize how big of a problem this is. I hope that someone decides to take this issue further. It is a shame that a car manufacturer can not own up to something that is clearly their fault like inadequate engine mounts. We will be looking for another car, since mine now needs brakes and rotors again, tires again, and pricey engine mounts that ordinary people can't afford. From a sad and disappointed previous Honda consumer.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

May 222013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Brought the vehicle in for service due to a vibration. This was the 2nd time that I've brought it in for the same problem. Last time the dealer claimed it was an alignment / wheel balance issue. This time they have claimed that 2 of the 4 engine mounts are broken. They also said that this is a common occurrence for Honda Odyssey's. research on various message boards and complaints on the NHTSA site do indicate that this happens frequently. If this is regular occurrence, why isn't this covered under a recall?

- St Johns, FL, USA

Dec 032012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Was told by the dealer that my front engine mount is torn and needs to be replaced. After reading some information online, apparently, this is a known problem with Honda Odyssey (even low mileage vehicles). I was wondering why there has not been a recalled issued for Honda Odyssey.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jan 162013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have very low mileage and the transmission seems to be going out. Also the rear main seal has blown. The mechanic says because of the transmission it affect the rear seal. I know Honda has had several issues with its transmissions and they have helped some people and not others. I filed a claim and was denied yet it seems there are issues that are the same as others that have been helped.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

One owner of a 2005 Honda Odyssey. Vehicle used to drive back and forth to work, general errands, occasional drive out of town. Within the past couple of months, my wife noticed severe shaking of steering wheel when accelerating at 65 mph. Vehicle taken to shop, had vehicle inspected: Usual tire rotation, alignment, balancing performed; however problem persisted, and replaced two new tires. Took vehicle back to same shop, alignment and balancing re-done; however, problem persisted. Took vehicle to different shop--purchased 4 new tires, and had alignment and balancing performed once again; however, problem persisted. Had tires replaced and alignment and balancing performed yet again; however, problem persists. Advised by shop manager that he is 95% sure based on driving test that motor mounts are in need of replacement. It is my opinion that the motor mounts are prematurely failing, and thus deemed to be faulty, and that they should be replaced by Honda a their expense. Too many other Honda Odyssey owners with same issue, and expensive repairs.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Nov 012011

Front and rear engine mounts are cracked. Dealer quoted me $1200 to fix. Outside car repair said about $900 but I can still drive it and it would not be considered dangerous. The problem is the Honda engine mount is double the price of other engine mounts and we cannot substitute with generic engine mounts! I even had my brother who is a part-time mechanic in another state check if he can get better prices for the Honda part... but nope. Of course if Honda does a re-call it would cost them $$$. also, if they make an exception to one case, they will need to make an exception to others. I am so disappointed that Honda is turning their head to this problem. This is my 4th Honda but it may very well be my last.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Oct 222012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Today I took my car into the Honda dealership service department. I was told that my front and side engine mounts were broken. I was stunned because my minivan is only 8 years old bought brand new. I only drive the van under normal driving conditions to and from school activities for my kids. It seems to me a substantial car part such as the engine mounts should not be breaking at 87,000 miles. Subsequently, I have talked to a few friends that have had a similar problem with their Odyssey and I searched this problem online and discovered a large number of car forums noting they had similar engine mount problems with their Honda Odyssey that were under 100,000 miles. It seems to me there must be some sort of defect or poor quality control of these engine mounts. I am formally registering a complaint over the quality of the engine mounts. Thank you.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Aug 182012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Had our 05 Odyssey ex-L in for standard servicing and was told rear and passenger side motor mounts required replacing (at a cost of $1200+)! van experiences noticeable noise and vibration as is shifts in and out of the eco phase of engine operation. I have never owned a vehicle that required motor mount replacement and after research, a service bulletin was apparently issued back in 2006 on this issue. This appears to be a widespread issue on the 2005 time frame Odyssey. This is clearly an engineering issue and should be addressed thru Honda via recall!

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 122012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was returning home and after driving on the freeway for approximately 45 minutes of driving at approximately 65 mph I heard a pop under the hood of my van and began to see smoke. I was unable to accelerate and had to turn on my hazard lights and pull off the freeway at the next exit. Upon taking my vehicle to my mechanic, I was told my transmission had failed.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Aug 072012

Odyssey 6-cyl

With no prior warning the vehicle began smoking out of the tail pipe. When pulled over, car was smoking under hood and all fluid poured out of the bottom. Had car towed to mechanic. "blown or cracked" head gasket was his diagnosis. Had car towed to shop to have repaired. After two weeks in the shop, the mechanic informed me that the car was still leaking antifreeze into the oil and that there is a porous leak somewhere in the engine. This car is not abused and I have regular oil changes with fully synthetic oil. This is just icing on the cake. I was excited to purchase this vehicle because Honda has such a great name. In the summer of 2009 I had to repair the air conditioning ($900) and replace wheel bearings ($300). This was just a few months after I replaced the tires for the first time ($2000). (purchased vehicle used in 2008 w/ 35000 miles) in 2010 it was time for tires again (not even 20K miles later). I depaxed them for $2000 and am still running on this same set of tires. It seems that the engine problem is a defect with Honda and from what I am reading, they will not take responsibility. I have not contacted Honda in any way but was curious if it would matter.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Aug 162012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Broken engine mount, right rear. Took car in for torque converter recall. Dealer did the software update and then advised that engine mount is broken.

- Seal Beach, CA, USA

Feb 222010

Car was purchased with broken motor mounts, but it has never been in a crash. Seems to be a common theme with this Odyssey. Paid over $900 to get all 3 replaced at Honda dealership. Seems to be a very poor design.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 022012

I want people to know that Honda now has a software fix for shuddering transmission problems and shaking. Our 2005 Odyssey touring would shake between 35-45 mph. We had the transmission serviced several time and never had a broken engine mount. Honda just came out with this fix in late June 2012 and it seems to have solved our problem. Our Honda garage installed this software update for free even though we now have 122K. It only takes 15 minutes. Hope this helps.

- Vermilion, OH, USA

Aug 232010

Odyssey 6-cyl

Three days after purchasing the Odyssey van, a severe vibration in the front end occurred. It was taken back to the dealer and I was told that the electronic motor mounts needed to be replaced. $1500 later, the problem was fixed. On June 28, 2012, with 122000 miles on the same Odyssey van, the same motor mounts need to be replaced. This time, all three need to be replaced at a cost of $2200.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Feb 012012

Motor mount!!!!! like many others it appears Honda has known about this issue and other than charging the customer for the excessively priced part to repair this issue that seems it may occur again after 50K. Seems like a racket to me. Our recent visit to the dealership didn't even need the service adviser to check out the problem. Apparently just mentioning vibration and they know that it's the motor mount. If Honda doesn't volunteer to recall this issue and NHTSA doesn't find just cause, I think perhaps a class action suit will remedy the situation.

- Fort Lupton, CO, USA

Jun 012012

Vehicle has been exhibiting a very harsh shaking/vibration while in eco mode. This is distracting as well as uncomfortable. Recently the vibration has gotten so bad, we can not see out of any of the mirrors as the shaking vibrates them to the point of complete uselessness. The worst part is that we just paid $2000 at a dealership to replace the rear motor mount and flush transmission again. We have had this van since 60K and serviced transmission four times now, replacing motor mount twice. This time, with no apparent effect.

- Coffeyville, KS, USA