1.8

2005 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 022015

Odyssey

The back motor mount needs to be replaced. I have low mileage in this vehicle and the engine shudders when it is in the eco setting.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 012016

Odyssey

My Honda Odyssey is burning too much oil than it should. I am needing to add 1 quart every 2 weeks if that as it is already down 1 quart. It is regularly on time going in for oil changes and has been serviced since I've bought it in 2015. It has had many other issues and has been repaired. Now this is seemingly a problem. The oil percentage is not telling me that it is low or none at all. No oil dummy lights have come on when I have not a drop of oil. I have switched and used high mileage oil rather than conventional and go every 3,000 miles & even did a treatment recently. Nothing is doing the job.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Apr 222016

Odyssey

Excessive oil consumption with 3.5L vtec engine for which Honda was found liable on 2008-2013 Odyssey and a slew of other models. My 2005 is doing the same thing yet 2005-2007 cars are not included. Safety wise - when the oil pressure is low enough, the engine will lose nearly all power and cannot safely accelerate (barely maintain speed) yet, the engine oil warning light has never come on in the vehicle...

- Saline, MI, USA

Mar 152016

Odyssey

While driving, acceleration of first gear is hampered, vehicle has loss of power and slips gears. Unable to get out of the way of fast moving traffic or the ability to get out of the way when in the middle of a busy intersection safely. Vehicle has less than 57000 miles on engine.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Mar 232016

Odyssey

Our 2005 Honda Odyssey vibrates, especially around 35-45 mph. Honda told us that the engine mounts have broken and that is what is causing it. They are not a cheap fix. Engine mounts, the last thing that you would think would go out on a vehicle! yet, when you go online, this apparently seems to be a massive problem with these vans. Honda has a problem with their engine mounts braking and this seems to be ok with them. This is not ok. They need to take responsibility for this failure. We have already been through having to replace many other failures from Honda throughout the years, including replacing the fuel cap before they recalled it. We will no longer be purchasing Honda vehicles.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Apr 152015

Odyssey

Motor mounts are broken/cracked and dealer quoted $2,466 to replace them!

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 032014

Odyssey

Torque converter going in the transmission. I see that there are numerous complaints about this issue and that Honda has been aware of this and has done a service bulletin but no recall. This has been going on for over a year.

- Scarborough, ME, USA

Sep 252015

Odyssey

Dealer said 2 engine mounts bad. The front one, is over $500 just for the part. Two issues: How was it determined this part was bad and with such a significant price for one of them (there are two on this model), I take issue with the obviously flawed design. I am seriously considering legal action referencing both the above issues. My biggest concern is a fault design to drive service sales later in the life of the vehicle.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Jul 262015

Odyssey

Driving at about 65 then acceleration, the can starts to shack bad, to the point danger to drive, I was able to advoide a crash, don't know about next time. Looked online this happened to allot of people at different number of miles, as little as 50K and different speeds (40-65)Odyssey's 2005-2010. Design problem. May happen multiple times in life of van, car be expensive to fix each time. I bought this van used with 145K expected some problem. But from what I have found this is a big problem to allot of drives. Danger, danger, danger

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

May 012015

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. While the vehicle was at the service center for maintenance, the independent mechanic diagnosed that the engine mounts would need to be replaced. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Jun 152015

Odyssey

On June 15, 2015 my 2005 Honda Odyssey airbag system light came on and stayed until now, I was scared due to airbag might blown out or causing any trouble while vehicle in use or worst something happen. I took my vehicle to Honda dealer on June 16, and I was told no recalls. They did some diagnose and I was told it was the seat belt buckle and wiring on driver side, the buckle was replace (free of charge), but the wiring cost $550 to have it fix. I refused the service due to no sense and not enough evidence to prove the issue. I did some research and found same issue on same vehicle that has airbag system lights on dashboard. I do believe that the dealer should address this as recall especially if the vehicle never been in accident. Please let me know if there is anything you can do to address this issue. Thanks

- Torrance, CA, USA

Apr 272015

Odyssey 6-cyl

Crank shaft pulley separated from hub and caused sudden & total loss of power steering while in motion.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 092015

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car jiggers and vibrates when eco mode kicks in. Car also vibrates constantly. Multiple motor mounts have been deemed bad and needing replacement. Motor mounts should be able to handle the eco shift and last longer than this.

- Souderton, PA, USA

Odyssey

Oil pan plug unable to screw tight, the plug where U drain the oil can't screw tight

Jun 042014

Odyssey

Summer of 2014 my 2005 Honda Odyssey was losing power on the road to the point I had to be towed to my mechanic. Turned out I was low on oil with no leaks at all and not due for an oil change. This is very stressful on my engine. My van is only used for local travel, about 20 miles per day and I have been needing to add oil about once per month, still with no leaks. I understand there is a class action suit for Honda Odyssey 2008-2013 for excessive oil burning, entering the combustion chamber and burning excessive oil at normal operating speeds and conditions. Copied from the internet, www.hondaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/ the original lawsuit claims Honda hid the problem from consumers. Honda denied the allegation, despite issuing a technical service bulletin (tsb #11-033) in July of 2011 that quietly acknowledged the problem. The tsb states that "the vcm (variable cylinder management) may be repeatedly switching on and off during light throttle operation, at cruising speeds, on flat roads." Essentially, the engine is working much harder than it has to in normal driving conditions. In fact, if your commute doesn't consist of climbing through the rockies, you're probably going to see more oil consumption than normal. Just spoke to american Honda who advised I need to take my vehicle to Honda for an inspection.

- Somerdale, NJ, USA

Nov 032014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Told by dealer that the engine mounts are cracked and need to be replaced. In looking online, I've found this complaint on numerous sites.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Feb 112014

Odyssey 6-cyl

When maneuvering in low mileage areas, I.e. driveways, parking lots, my power steering pump does not assist well, if at all. The vehicle makes a noise similar to an rc car with a dying battery and the steering wheel is almost impossible for me to move. In order to get out of a parking space, it can take me up to 10 or so moves because I cannot get the wheel to turn properly.

- Milford, NJ, USA

Mar 152014

Odyssey 6-cyl

When accelerating on the highway (began at approx. 55mph), my vehicle began to shake violently. Any acceleration at or higher than the 55mph mark continues to make the vehicle shake. We believe the issue is caused by damaged/broken motor mounts.

- Milford, NJ, USA