CarComplaints.com Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2008 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012016

Odyssey

Purchased vehicle used from Honda dealership in April 2016 with 102,000 miles. I now have 106,000 miles and my low oil pressure light came on. Upon checking the oil level it shows the case as being empty of oil. I show no evidence of an oil leak on the engine or any tell tale signs on the garage floor or driveway. Highly concerned that the low oil pressure light comes on this late in the decline of engine oil.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 242016

Odyssey 6-cyl

Turning onto highway, heard a loud bang, checked my dash, no warning lights illuminated, thought it was a rock or road debris that hit the vehicle. Continued toward our destination at 55 mph, about a mile down the road the ABS lighted up, then the vsa, then the TPMS, then the seatbelt light, then the radio went out, the gauges were next, finally the battery light came on, I let the vehicle come to a halt using very little brakes. As soon as I stopped the engine died and no lights would come on, had to manually unlock and manually open the door. Called the Honda dealership, said it would be towed in that day 24 Sept 2016, there was no accident, but for this to happen with no warning whatsoever, is of concern to me. I don't know if this is a hardware or software glitch, we had the vehicle in for maintenance just this past week, timing belt, rear brakes, oil change. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for considering this statement.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Sep 012016

Odyssey

Excessive engine oil burning. My car burns engine oil such a way that I have to check the engine oil level frequently. Once I had to fill more than 4qts to get the oil level to normal. More over the indicator never shows that the oil level is low. I went on speed bump at that time the indicator just flashed once thats how I got a doubt and checked oil level. It was almost empty that time and I had to fill more than 4qts of oil. The check engine light comes frequently.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Aug 192016

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. When the contact took the vehicle to be serviced for regular maintenance, he was informed that the front and side engine mounts were fractured. The vehicle was diagnosed, but was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that they would not cover the failure because the vehicle was out of warranty. The failure mileage was 68,590.

- Williston Park, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Engine is burning about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I think this should be covered under their extended warranty. Here is what I found out about this extended warranty... on October 22, 2013, Honda America agreed to settle the class-action suit. As part of the settlement, Honda extended the powertrain warranty on these models for eight years from the time of purchase or lease with no mileage limits. Honda also offered to reimburse customers who had to pay out-of-pocket expenses for related repairs such as spark plugs, pistons or even entirely new engines (with limitations). United States district court for the northern district of California a federal court authorized this notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer. If you are a current or former owner or lessee of any of the following Honda vehicles equipped with a 6-cylinder ("V6") engine with variable cylinder management ("vcm-2") you could receive benefits from a class action settlement concerning engine misfire, 1 including a limited warranty extension and reimbursement of outof-pocket expenses for engine misfire-related repairs: " 2008-2012 Honda Accord; ? 2008-2013 Honda Odyssey; ? 2009-2013 Honda Pilot; ? 2010-2011 Honda Accord crosstour; or ? 2012 Honda crosstour my van meets all the criteria... 1. 2008 Odyssey 2. motor is a 6-cylinder (?V6") engine with variable cylinder management ("vcm-2") 3. motor is burning oil I've called Honda usa directly and they were not able to tell me why my vehicle was not covered. The only they said was that, "my VIN was not part of the batch for the extended warranty. I only have until September 1, 2016 to qualify for this extension and after that date my van will not qualify if Honda will let it qualify. I am asking for your assistance with trying to get my van to qualify for the extended warranty. Thank you

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Apr 182016

Odyssey

I never had any major problems with my van up until this point. The check engine light would come on and go off from time to time and I took it in for a diagnostic check each time and it was the same code for catalytic converter. My car ran well and then suddenly, while taking my kids to school on a city street, the muffler began smoking when I would either idle or drive. It only did this the night before I brought it into the shop and the day of. It would hesitate also. I felt like it was going to die at any minute, so I took my kids to school and brought it to the shop immediately. The mechanic then told me I did not have a drop of oil. This seemed strange because I had never seen a leak (I park in the same place at my house). He tested my car for a leak and did not detect any. Some people suggested that the oil change place forgot to put oil in my car. That is highly unlikely since I had just gone to have my oil topped off about a month before. I had also driven it for about 2500 miles since then. Because of the lack of warning, I have to replace my engine...it is shot.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Dec 212015

Odyssey

My engine is using oil. It used 1 quart of oil in 2,826 miles of driving and 1/2 quart in the next 580 miles. The rate of oil use is increasing. Honda says these engines are passing oil thru the rings on 4 of the 6 cylinders. Honda will not do anything until engine light comes on or engine starts missing. I have to constantly check the oil level to make sure it is not to low. On the internet I found there are many Odyssey doing this. Honda sold this van to me without being told of this problem until after I bought this van. There needs to be a recall on these engines to fix this problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 232015

Odyssey

Check engine light came on. Dtcs P3400 and P3497 read. No oil on the dipstick. Took it to sussman Honda where they stated that the fix is to replace the rear rocker. I pointed them to tsb 11-033 but they said it didn't apply to my car. Called american Honda co. And they said the same thing. I filed a complaint. Only later did I discover tsb 13-031, which sussman followed but did not read the diagnosis section since the oil level was below the dipstick. Almost exactly 3 months and 4,000 miles later cel light comes on with dtcs P3400 and P3497 and oil level is below the dipstick, this time the car is starting to vibrate. Ahc still claims this is not a design flaw and offered no assistance. We are now being told by another dealer that burning oil is normal for the "pre-08 Honda with vcm" and that we should check it regularly. While I appreciate the honesty, I wish that Honda would admit the engineering issue and fix it once for all. Using this much oil can't be good for the environment!

- Sterling, VA, USA

Oct 032014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle started to vibrate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the ignition coil and spark plugs were replaced but the failure recurred within 73 miles. The vehicle was taken back to an independent mechanic where the front cylinder head, the head gasket, water pump, and spark plugs were replaced. The contact also stated that the lift gate on the rear of the vehicle was opened, but failed to remain open. The failure recurred multiple times. The VIN was not includedin NHTSA campaign number: 12V060000 (structure). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000. Updated 01/21/16

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Mar 012015

Odyssey 6-cyl

2008 Honda Odyssey. Consumer writes in regards to spark plugs caused engine failure.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jan 202015

Odyssey 4-cyl

I was coming to a stop at a red light when the car suddenly accelerated forward. I had to turn the wheel to avoid hitting a car in front of me.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car emits a grinding sound when throttle is in a cruise or slight accel position. Engine gets "stuck" at 1500 RPM's where it emits grinding sound the loudest. Can also feel it in the gas pedal. Normal sequence is this: 1) accel to ~40mph 2) once at steady state and in 4th gear, engine rpms will fall to 1500. 3) RPM will get "caught" at 1500, makes grinding sound 4) rpms might breakthrough 1500, pop up to 1800, and grinding noise will diminish. 5) rpms will then drop below 1500, then rise and get stuck at 1500 again along with infuriating noise and pedal vibration. Cycle is usually 5-10 seconds. Going slightly uphill makes it cycle more frequently. Going downhill doesn't make noise since trans is disengaged. It's also hard to tell if lower gears do the same thing because engine noise and vibration drown out grinding sound/feel. Other thoughts: - kind of sounds like a strong cross-wind (30+ mph) going across the windshield. - it also sounds similar to how a bad idler bearing on an ac compressor sounds. That kind of metallic grinding sound. - it's not the engine mounts (they've been replaced) - it's subtle and some people might not detect the sound.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Odyssey

The engine light came on while driving the vehicle. Took the vehicle to a mechanic who said the vehicle had an error code of P3400 and to immediately fill it with oil and take it to Honda dealer. Did that and discovered class action lawsuit covered repair. Jeff wyler Honda claims to have fixed the problem. Vehicle's engine light goes on again 6 months later with same error code P3400. Told by jeff wyler Honda on colerain avenue that vehicle is fine despite having lost 2 quarts of oil in less than 1000 miles. Dealer tells us that it is "perfectly normal" for Honda vehicles to use 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles, and that this is true of their entire fleet including 2014 and 2015 vehicles. Honda usa and Honda dealer are unwilling to look at vehicle any further and tell us that we will just have to put oil in it each time we fill the vehicle with gas, and that this is not an unusual occurrence. So now, we have a minivan meant to Transport our family about town that we will have to fill with oil each and every time we go to use it. Dealer admits that there are no leaks, and that the van has been kept in fine running condition by us.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 192014

Odyssey 6-cyl

2008 Honda Odyssey (about 5.5 years old, 90,000 miles). Driving on highway at 65 mph, when a loud explosion occurred. Car started making a loud noise similar to when the exhaust comes off. Loss in acceleration and speed. Stalled shortly and had to be towed to dealer. Diagnosis was - coil and spark plug head "exploded" on cylinder #2. some parts fell in and the inside of cylinder was scored. Engine was considered non-repairable and needed to be replaced. Had engine replaced at the local dealer. Cost over $5,000. Honda refuses to make any amends, or offer any compensation. This is a manufacturing defect. The first service on this engine is due at 105,000 miles. The car is 5.5 years old with about 90,000 miles. This is a factory sealed engine. The car has been regularly serviced at the Honda dealership.

- Martinsville, NJ, USA

Jul 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On approximately 7/1, I was driving home. The car wouldn't switch gears and lost a bit of power. I was able to drive down an interstate during rush hour at approx. 40 miles per hour. I had the van towed to a friends house. The next day, I drove it to hondaman, a certified Honda repair shop, they did a valve adjustment. The valve adjustment didn't work. There was a clicking, vibrating, knocking noise at 2800rpms while the car was in park (metal on metal noise) and then when driving. Replaced the timing belt and tensioner as recommended, this did not solve the problem. Did another valve adjustment (according to the tsb) and that did not work. Recommendations was that the engine be replaced or rebuilt. At no point ever did the car have a check engine light, low oil light, or any other signs of problems. I took the car to brown's Honda, they recommended a cylinder head replacement, valve replacement and camshaft replacement. The items had shown metal on metal wear. The shops and based on research, this a sign of no lubrication. They shop told me that this happens and it is a fluke. I also notified them that there are numerous tsbs on my car and if I move forward with the front cam replacement, I am worried that since the issue could not be identified, that the rear cam and pistons' or camshaft would need to be replaced. I did have my oil pan and oil plug replaced 2 years ago and after researching more about my car, found that this was a defect in the model I purchased. I also called the misfire settlement and was notified that since no diagnostic codes showed up, there was nothing they can do to extend my warranty. Since the notifications only occur due to emission issues, the car engine would have blown up while I was driving with no warning. I had all maintenance with Honda and truly scared that this will effect other buyers.

- Glen Brunie , MD, USA

Mar 052013

Odyssey 6-cyl

During braking between 20 - 40 mph, the vehicle surges forward. This has been most noticeable when going downhill and braking. It seams as the automatic transmission is downshifting prematurely (to high engine RPM) thus causing the vehicle to surge (jump) forward. This has occurred multiple time (more than 6) over the past 3 years. Note: Mileage and speed are estimated.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Apr 072014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that flames emitted from the engine compartment and eventually engulfed the vehicle. The fire department was called who determined that the catalytic converter had failed and caused the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Ayden, NC, USA

Mar 022011

Odyssey

Early 2011 after having some recall repairs done in the past like the brakes, leaking from the moon roof and the power steering problems, started noticing the engine light coming out for 1-2 days and then the oil light, checked oil level and refill was done but didn't notice any leaking. Subsequent services to the dealer told them about the events but didn't provided any clear report as to what is causing that. Lift gate shocks gave up after a few months and have them replaced from the dealer, again no clear explanations why the it's too soon for unexpected possible wear and tear, also in addition to telling them about the power steering seems to be causing a problem again because it's becoming heavy to turn the vehicle. This has been causing a huge problem and safety concern especially coming off from a parallel parking because it takes a lot of manuevering before I can get off from the spot and involves a great effort especially in an incline position. Recently about a couple of weeks ago, the same issue came in about the engine and the oil light showing up, oil level was low again but doesn't noticed any leaking. I did some search and I have seen a video on youtube about the error code P3400 and P3497 which is very scary and very significant to the life span of the engine. Also, recalling all these issues, I also noticed that there was a recall about the previously replaced lift gate shocks that I paid for last year. I just hope that the dealer will be responsible enough to acknowledge the vehicle flaws and prioritize the safety of the public consumer especially the mini van as it normally has children as it's daily passenger - being the family van.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 152013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated while traveling various speeds, the vehicle shook violently and the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder where it was shut down. After starting the vehicle it failed to function normally. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated the oil pressure sensor failed. The vehicle was also taken to the dealer who stated the engine was not running on all available cylinders. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Little Compton , RI, USA

Apr 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

All five engines mounts are bad and have to be replaced at only 46,000 miles. Droning, vibrating and lugging, so brakes that rattle when braking hard. No way engine mounts shot at such low mileage.

- Bronx, NY, USA