Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2008 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 292010

While stopped at a light my 2008 Honda Odyssey's engine began accelerating with the RPM indicator exceeding 7000 rpms. I had to stand on the brake and shift into park to avoid any further movement. As the engine was still racing I turned the ignition off. I restarted the car in park and the engine again accelerated past 7000 rpms. Once again I shut the engine off, waited a while longer and restarted without incident. The car has under 16,000 miles and just prior to the incident was driven on the highway but had traveled about 4 miles from the exit point. Cruise was on but not engaged since leaving the highway.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 122009

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving at speeds of 20 mph, the vehicle would accelerate without driver intent. When depressed, the brake pedal would fall 1-inch below the accelerator pedal, causing the contact to simultaneously depress both pedals without intent. The dealer stated that he could find no failures in the vehicle. There were no repairs made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 11,457. Updated 05/07/10. The consumer stated when he applied the brake, it would go way beyond the accelerator pedal. Updated 07/13/10

- Ruckland, VT, USA

Nov 122009

I own a 2008 Honda Odyssey purchased in 2009. A couple of months after we purchased the brand new mini van, the accelerator /throttle stuck as I was driving my children to school, ( the throttle kicked on somewhere between 30 & 40 mph). The brakes were not slowing us down much at all as the engine raced ( foot was off the gas pedal) and we nearly crashed in the elementary school parking lot. ( I put the van in neutral and turned off the engine along with the emergency brake to get us to stop.) we towed the car to Honda & they had it for four days. I did not want it back ! Honda said they could not reproduce the problem and that the computer sensors didn't track the disturbance. We ended up paying out of our own pocket for a completely new computer system to be installed. ( we have the old computer part.) we reported this to Honda. I am writing to tell you about this because Toyota is not the only car with an acceleration problem ! our Honda dealer swept it under the rug but I am sure there has to be other Honda owners who have had the life threatening same issue.

- San Bruno, CA, USA

Dec 012009

Odyssey 6-cyl

2008 Honda Odyssey accelerated suddenly. The consumer she crashed into a guardrail.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jan 222010

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. Whenever the contact drove the vehicle she had to apply pressure to the accelerator pedal; although, the vehicle failed to increase in speed beyond approximately 25 mph. The dealer replaced the torque converter replaced; however, the failure continued to occur. There were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 45000.

- Pitkerington, OH, USA