Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey shows an early trend of transmission problems with clunking/jerking when shifting gears.

Most of these Odyssey transmissions are still under warranty, but so far Toyota generally hasn't been able to diagnose or fix the clunking problem — that's the reason for our low rating. Some owners have reported it was a stuck solenoid, & in a few cases Honda has replaced the entire transmission.

As more of these Odysseys start exceeding the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty limit, buyer beware.

2014 Honda Odyssey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Odyssey:

2014 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 272016

At 20,000 miles, braking from freeway speeds started to cause shuddering and jerking of the steering wheel. We were able to live with it for a little while, but finally took it to the dealership at 27,960 miles, and were told the brake rotors were warped. The dealer resurfaced the rotors without our authorization and said they will not replace them, even though they are clearly defective (they show clear signs of heat damage). This is a common problem with this vehicle, and Honda has already discontinued the old rotor, and a new rotor is available, part # 45251-TK8-A02. Yet, Honda refuses to replace our defective rotors, making our vehicle dangerous and unsafe to drive. Refinishing the rotors will only temporarily fix the problem, but they will quickly overheat again, and Honda obviously just hopes this happens after our warranty expires. This is a relatively new vehicle (2 years), and still under warranty. We should not have to worry about the manufacturer refusing to honor their warranty, and the safety of our braking system due to defective parts.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Jul 012015

Brake rotors warped with very few (20K or less) miles. Dealer stated it was not covered under warranty. Every report I found online stated that resurfaced rotors ended up warping again in a short amount of time. I have found that Honda has recently changed out the rotors they use to try and combat this problem, though, never formally issuing a recall or notice to everyone that has been hit by this issue.

- Madison, MS, USA

Jul 192016

The brakes on our 2014 Odyssey started vibrating slightly when applied at 20,000 miles. Slowly the vibration has increased with time and is now very apparent at 28K. Our dealer claims that there is no service bulleten on the issue and it appears tha the brake rotors are warped and need to be resurfaced. However, we are very cautious drivers and hve never encountered this problem with any of our numerous other vehicles. Also, when looking for information on the problem on the web, it appears that this has been a longstanding issue that Honda appears to be avoiding. And simply put, trueing the rotors will only temporarly correct the problem and hasten a reacurrance! to say the least, this has been a very disappointing experience with our first Odyssey!

- Panama City, FL, USA

Mar 012016

Brakes started vibrating fairly violently when descending hills at 10,000 miles. Informed that the brake rotors were warped and needed to be resurfaced. This is the 3rd Honda vehicle that we have had and have gotten over 100,000 miles on Pilot and CRV without this happening. Therefore it is not due to driving habits.

- Coopersburg, PA, USA

May 102016

24,000 miles on our car and it is only 2 years old and we were told our front rotors were warped and needed to be machined. I had call the service dept. When we were under 20,000miles and was told the sqeaky noise was from the rain and the water getting onto the brake pads... ya ok. $120 + labor + taxes later and I was told it was due to my driving style.. which I do not "ride the brakes" nor do I "break hard". we have never had an issue like this with any other car. My husbands Chevy Malibu has over 100,000 miles on it and this is the second time we have had to have his brakes done. I am very frustrated with this and I think it should be under warranty or some sort of recall on the rotors.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

May 082016

Our 2014 Honda Odyssey has 41,000 miles on it and we have had to have new brakes three times and rotors resurfaced twice. We just had to have a bent axle replaced. The new axle was also bent so a third one had to be installed.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Sep 152013

Car vibrates and shakes on application of brakes. Have had to have brake rotors repaired or replaced on three different occasions started at 10,000 miles. It is not covered under warranty

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Apr 012016

30K miles had to have my rotors resurfaced due to warping. This is my wife's car and she drives it like an old lady so I know it's not her driving style. Seems like this is a common complaint for this vehicle.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Feb 142016

I was slowing down to perform three-point turn to park in garage. Slowly (<5mph) approaching end of first arc, I pressed the brakes to stop. It was snowing and slippery, and there was a slight skid of vehicle. I pressed harder on brakes to stop, which resulted in revving of the engine and crash of vehicle into wall/garage support. I looked down to confirm my foot was only contacting the brake pedal. I placed the vehicle in park to comprehend what had just occurred. I placed the vehicle in reverse to complete 2nd arc of three-point turn, and completed parking in the garage.

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Nov 032015

At 29,000 miles, March of 2015, rotors had to be re-surfaced. At that time mechanic stated they where having a lot of problems with Odyssey rotors as the rotor was too small for the weight of the Odyssey. Mechanic and serive writer stated that all it took to wrapp rotors was one semi-hard stop. Dealer re-surface rotor under warranty, but would not replace brake pads that had a groove in them from wrapped rotor. Now at 44,000 miles, Nov.3, 2015, rotors are wrapped again and need to be replaced. Dealer refuses to do anything about this problem. I believe this is a safety problem Honda should take care of by replacing rotors with a heavy duty rotor and new brake pads.

- Sun City Center, FL, USA

Oct 271015

At roughly 35,000, I was told that the rotors were warped and needed resurfacing. I've owned multiple cars and never had a brake issue with such low mileage. Car shakes excessively upon breaking and could cause accident - it is worse at higher speeds. This seems to be an issue in many Honda and which could be responsible for accidents.

- Forest Hill, MD, USA

Aug 312015

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. While driving 30 mph changing from a paved to an unpaved lane, the brake pedal sank to the floor and the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle was shifted into park and turned off. After restarting the engine, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Jan 012014

Experienced extreme shaking while braking at high speeds. Brought the car into the dealership and they said my rotors are warped. I asked them why my rotors were warped at 6K miles and they didn't really say anything. The problem came back another time six months later and again they turned the rotors. It just happened again and they said my rotors are too thin to turn and they need to be replaced at 20K miles. I complained to the service manager and he said they have seen three other cars already of this year/make with rotor needing to be replaced at low mileage. They said this is more normal for a 60K mile plus type maintenance. Honda has agreed to replace the rotors and pads for the cost of the parts (free labor). However I thought I should report it as it seems to be a defect affecting more than just my car.

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Apr 242014

When driving at speeds over 50 miles an hour and breaking the car shutteres. The problem continued to get worse and the car would feel out of control when braking at over 50 miles an hour. The first few times it happened was in wet weather and I attributed it to that. But the problem continued and the first rotors were replaced at about 3000 miles. Subsequently the rotors were changed 2 more times after that. The fourth time we reported it to Honda national. We were told that they never heard of such a problem and that it was because it was too hot in Florida and I break too hard despite the fact that I've been driving for over 30 years and never came across this problem. They also told us that they could not replace the vehicle because they could not sell our current vehicle because it wasn't safe. So because of circumstances we had to pay fees large fees for another car. Honda refuses to admit this is a problem. If you research on the web there were hundreds even thousands of complaints with people given the same answer by Honda. I think this is a real problem and the shuttering gets worse very quickly and can be very dangerous on the highway and somebody needs to look into this problem.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Aug 182015

The steering wheel was shaking when braking. The front disks are warped. Dealer covered the repairs under warranty (turned the rotors). This is not acceptable Honda.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Jul 152015

At 10K miles, we had vibration and sporadic humming noise from brakes.I took the vehicle to Honda last year with about 12.5K miles on vehicle.they were unable to hear the noise but they wanted to turn the rotors to address the issue and said it went out of warranty at 12K miles.we were shocked as we have had numerous vehicles and never had to service brakes this early.after speaking with the manager they agreed to fix it under warranty and said because of driving habits sometimes brakes just need to be replaced sooner.the noise continued, we took it back around 24K miles.they couldn't hear the noise but shaved rear rotors to see if it helped. Now we have 35K miles and back at the service department for vibration and noise.this time I took a clip of the noise so they could hear it. The solution was new pads and turn the rotors on all axels and it would be about $400 since it's not under warranty.they said brakes were in mechanically good condition and the pads still had about 40% so I could just live with noise and vibration if I didn't want to do the brake job.I said I thought this was ridiculous based on its mileage and was again told basically it's dependent on driving habits (although I have never had this problem on any other car I've owned).I said I think it's a Honda brake design issue in that rotors and pads are not robust enough for the size of the vehicle as there are other complaints on NHTSA and online with the same issues.we talked to the service manager who agreed they have seen this as a problem and admitted he has a Pilot that needs brakes about every 40K miles.they agreed to turn the back rotors to see if that fixes the noise and offered a discount to do the front brakes.he let us know we could use after market pads that may be better but aren't under the Honda warranty (we didn't do this and used same pads with less than appealing 12K mile warranty).

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Jun 242015

The car has been shaking (steering wheel specifically) when braking. This has been going on for about 5000 miles but I didn't realize it was an issue. Upon review it was found front brake pads are 80% and back are 50% but front rotors are warped. Dealer is not covering as 'under warranty' saying that warped rotors are driver wear. Everything I'm reading online says that this is happening to a lot of 2011-2014 Odyssey and that there are mixed results on dealers covering under warranty. I do not drive aggressively and do not drive mountains/hills. I've had 5 Honda's including one other Odyssey we drove for 9 years and never had this problem. I'm also reading it has been shown to happen repeatedly at low mileage rates. I will add another claim if this happens again.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 292015

I took the vehicle to Honda dealership for service because of a vibration when braking. Tech found rotors are warped. This is the second set of rotors. The first set warped at 13,000 miles and were replaced under warranty. The second set have warped at 11,000 miles. Dealer said that they can turn the rotors but cannot replace again under warranty unless american Honda authorizes replacement. I contacted american Honda (ah) 1-800-999-1009 on 5/29/15. Received voice mail message from ah on 6/1/15 that they would contact the dealer for information. Received call from ah rep christopher (ext. 117726), on 6/9/15 stating ah would not replace rotors but would turn as courtesy. I asked why not full replacement as 1st set of brakes degraded at 13K miles and 2nd set at even lower mileage, 11K. Rep says many reasons could have caused wear, weather conditions, driving style, weight of the vehicle. I said that if it was weight of vehicle then ah has faulty brake design. Then he said that according to the dealership service department it was my driving style. I said that backpeddling and that they don't know how I drive. I then asked him for the estimated lifespan, in miles, of the brakes and he said they don't have a lifespan. I said that there has to be one, is it 15K or 40K? he repeated that there was none available. I asked him to put their (ah) conclusion in writing, using the assigned case number, N01-2015-05-29-01387. He said ah would not provide anything in writing, but that the dealership would write up a service order. I repeated my request for a written reponse to my complaint and he insisted that ah does not do that. Note: Vehicle had strut assembly replaced, under warranty, at 6K miles. Under warranty, dealership to have faulty door lock accuators (locks activate after every stop), window run channels/seals, and back up camera circuits replaced. Parts ordered 5/29/15.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 062015

The Honda Odyssey has terrible brake shimmying, especially under a little more load/higher speeds or down hills. There are a large number of complaints about this exact problem and that the under-sized rotors warp extremely easily. Honda does not cover this under warranty and even the repair rep knew it was a known issue. Honda knows about the issue, it affects all recent years of the Odyssey yet nothing is done about it. I believe it's a safety issue.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Mar 152014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Rpms race while van is in idle an takes off with a jump in transmission. Clanking noise metal on metal in rear brakes, downshifts at lower speeds when trying to accelerate above 35 mph, slowing to make a turn and transmission jumps feels like being rear ended, parking brake doesn't engage at times, on flat when putting into park transmission clunks and vehicle has a definite movement like something falling out or on vehicle, looses power at 65 mph no matter how much the gas pedal is floored then suddenly jumps into high speed thrusting van forward, transmission jumps severely when parked on a graded slope and make metal clanking sound. Dealer says there are no issues and this is all normal. This is a direct safety issue for me and I am worried that something might happen causing an accident. At one point some adjustments to sensors were performed but did not correct issue. Brake issue discovered and attempt was made to correct twice. Told this is normal. Also a loud electronic computer sounding like an ancient reboot of an old computer is greatly noticeable when the problems act up. Told this is normal an no problems by the dealer. I feel I am being ignored and treated like a stupid person each time I call. Service manager actually stated that his hands are tied and took to next level of district service manager who stated this is normal. I beg to differ. The district service manager did not speak with me at all. What game is Honda playing. Safety issues and performance of vehicle are being ignored. Rearview camera is acting up as well as electric door locks and sliding doors are slow to respond while closing. Worried about safety while driving.

- North Royalton, OH, USA