Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey shows an early trend of transmission problems with clunking/jerking when shifting gears.

Most of these Odyssey transmissions are still under warranty, but so far Toyota generally hasn't been able to diagnose or fix the clunking problem — that's the reason for our low rating. Some owners have reported it was a stuck solenoid, & in a few cases Honda has replaced the entire transmission.

As more of these Odysseys start exceeding the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty limit, buyer beware.

2014 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Odyssey:

2014 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 212013

Odyssey 6-cyl

As I try to accelerate from a low speed, for example entering an intersection or a highway, the transmission slips and bangs into gear, causing the van to hesitate before it moves, it is a violent feeling, almost like being rear ended from another vehicle. I have brought it to the dealer numerous times and had the technician experience what I was talking about verifying something is wrong. Then when I go to pick it up after its been fixed, I am told by the manager that it is normal because no codes came up.

- Franklin Square, NY, USA

Oct 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

While shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear, the car's transmission experiences a jerk/clunk that resonates throughout the vehicle. This issue occurs both while accelerating slowly from a stop, or while accelerating slowly while the vehicle is already in a slow coast. The worst jerks occur when the vehicle is slowly accelerated while turning the vehicle. In all cases, the problem occurs during gentle acceleration (gas conservation) versus quick acceleration. Unfortunately, this problem is intermittent and has yet to be replicated by my neighborhood Honda auto repair/dealership. No fault codes have been found on the computer. I have experienced similar symptoms in rear wheel drive cars that have resulted in the replacement of those transmissions. However, I have been told by the Honda repair representatives that this issue is normal for the car. It is my opinion that no new car should experience a jerking motion while driving, especially at slow speeds.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jan 032014

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. When the vehicle was stopped, it shook and an abnormal noise emitted from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. However, the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Odyssey 6-cyl

While my wife and daughter were returning from a short shopping trip, the transmission started to make a "clunk" noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Immediately upon her return home, I drove the van around the block, stopping at each intersection. The "clunk" repeated every time the transmission shifted from 1st to 2nd. I called the dealer and described to the service department what was happening, and he said that we needed to bring it in, although that was obvious to us. The question was whether or not it was safe to drive. He said that he thought that it was since it didn't make any noise in the higher gears. The next morning, I drove it to the dealer, and of course, nothing happened. They had two technicians drive it, and they could not replicate the condition. They also hooked it up to the diagnostic machine, and they said that it showed nothing. Well, all I can say is that it was not "nothing", but they said they couldn't do anything further and to just bring it in if it happened again. I explained that we were about to go on a 3,000 mile trip, and it would be difficult to bring it in while on the road. Even though the van is only 1 year old, and has only 6,700 miles on it, I think my wife is ready to trade it in.

- Waco, TX, USA

Oct 092014

Odyssey 6-cyl

As I accelerated from a complete stop at a stop sign and up a hill, the car violently jerked/bucked forward and back at the point where the car appears to shift gears for the first time. As I continued driving, it did this every time I accelerated from a stop. It was very uncomfortable, causing me to brace in the car because of the force of the jerking. I was concerned in traffic that my car was going to lunge into a car in front of me on the highway and made sure that I provided for extra distance between cars. After I arrived at my destination I turned car off and made appointment with the dealer. However, once I got back in the car to return home, the car no longer was jerking around. The Honda dealer could not find any problem with my car the next day. I am very concerned that this will happen again.

- Kennett Square, PA, USA

Jun 032014

Odyssey 6-cyl

All body part of this new van are loose.. both side front windows while open and close or open the door seems like its broke and windows shakes rear suspension very noise on brad new van seems like driving 10 year old beat up car passenger side inside between 2nd and 3rd row body parts are lose I have contact the Honda they don't want to take care..please let me know what should I do. Its a new van under 5000 miles and having major issue.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Aug 232014

Odyssey 6-cyl

When driving between 10 and 30 mph, the car hesitated to accelerate. When pushing acceleration harder, the car started to jerk. When the car went on the slope, it made a loud clunking noise coming from the transmission. Stopped the car for several minutes and restarted again, the problem was gone. The next day I took the car to the dealer. The dealer stated that they cannot duplicate the issue and no repair was performed.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jul 182014

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the transmission began making a loud clucking noise. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle violently jerks forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10.

- Rincon, GA, USA

Aug 182014

2014 Honda Odyssey touring elite began violent jerking when accelerating on 84 degree day after an hour of stop and go city driving. Occurred nearly 20 times when accelerating from stop light to moderate speeds of 25/35mph. Felt as if hit from behind each transitioning/accelerating 1st to 2nd gear. Very scary. Had my two young children in van who were equally alarmed over violent jerking. Not a single service light went on during these episodes. Had van towed to Honda dealership where they claimed to have failed to duplicate this issue. Do not feel safe with my children in this vehicle. Found other 2014 Odyssey owners experiencing same problem.

- Hudson , OH, USA

Dec 232013

Odyssey 6-cyl

When the vehicle is at 5 to 20 mph during acceleration, transmission makes clunk noise and jerks. When this happens there is no response from transmission for few seconds and suddenly shift gears with jerk and pushes the vehicle (feels someone is hitting from back). This issue is random during traffic lights, heavy traffic and freeway merge. Having kids on the vehicle and driving is bigger safety concern and this behavior will likely hit other vehicles as acceleration is exceptionally sluggish and will not respond. When the vehicle is above 45 mph and drives without any issues. Vehicle been to dealer service center twice but they said we are unable to reproduce it and it's really frustrating. This issue has been raised to Honda by many owners but so far no update from them. Here are some ref.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jul 102014

Odyssey 6-cyl

From a stop or yield, upon acceleration van jerked. It did this several times all the way back to the dealership. Technicians could not get the van to duplicate this action, so they could do nothing.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Feb 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while shifting from park to reverse or drive, the vehicle intermittently rolled without the brake pedal being depressed. The contact had to depress the brake pedal numerous times to prevent the vehicle from rolling. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000. Updated 8/14/14 the consumer stated the engine would shut off when the vehicle was in reverse or drive. When on a hill the vehicle would roll requiring brake action. The dealer advised the failure may be normal. Updated 09/3/2014

- Conway, NH, USA

Jun 032014

TL * the contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated while driving and shifting gears the vehicle made a loud noise and began to jerk. The brakes also made a screeching sound when she made a turn. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage were 186.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Apr 212014

Barely over 1 month ago I purchased a brand new Honda Odyssey. This is first new vehicle I have bought in years. Big mistake. I started having trouble with acceleration, the vans jerks, shudders and make loud clunking noises. After I start the van and try to engage in reverse it goes no where...the same thing started happening when I put it in drive. I took it too the dealership that weekend and they told me there was a computer update that should fix the problem... it didn't. two days later I took it back to them and told them it was unacceptable and I wanted it fixed. That was 2 weeks ago. That is 2 weeks that they have had my "new" van that I am paying dearly for. They have admitted to feeling the problems and claim they called the Honda tech line who states I am the only person in the United States that has had this issue. Next week they are installing a new transmission and will continue to try new things until they find a solution. I love the fact that I am making a payment for them to play with my van as the test dummy. If I wanted a van with all these replacements I would have bought an old one and had everything rebuilt and saved alot of money and time that a working mother of 3 kids does not have. This is a nightmare!!!!! please do you homework before you purchase this year model of van.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Apr 172014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission makes loud clanking noise and shudders violently at 10-20 mph during acceleration. Acceleration throughout range is exceptionally sluggish and will not engage "passing gear" at highway speeds, making the vehicle dangerous to drive at low and higher speeds. Problem stops when vehicle is stopped and re-started, but may reappear. Dealer has not been able to duplicate problem and states Honda has had no other complaints of same. However, I found almost exact same/similar complaint at within seconds of searching. I suspect it's happening to more people. In my opinion, this is a safety issue and potentially dangerous situation, especially driving in heavy traffic and the fact this vehicle is very likely to be used for hauling children.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Dec 182013

I've noticed on cold nights/days (temps below 40 degrees). The engine temp is slightly lower than normal. The vehicle at a complete stop (at stop lights) then go that while I accelerate it stalls, the gas pedal would go down but would not accelerate then after a few seconds would jerk into speed. I've had 4 other Honda's and this is the first one that has done this.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jan 112014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The check engine light and other lights came on. The vehicle would not go over 10 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that a valve switch had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 2/26/14

- Mount Zion, IL, USA

Oct 152013

Driving approx 25mph through town when engine rpms increased a bit as it briefly slipped out of gear, then it caught itself and abruptly went into approx 5th gear (6 speed transmission). From there vehicle was only using 2 gears (~2nd and 5th) and every time it up shifted into 5th (from a stoplight, etc.) it was very abrupt, and made a loud clunk noise - it was so hard it felt like the powertrain was going to be ripped off the engine mounts and out of the engine compartment (seriously). Immediately limped vehicle to closest dealer. Dealer replicated event and determined transmission fluid was overfilled (approx half a quart). This was an issue from the factory and manufacturing process. The selling dealer did not cover/discover this overfill as part of the vehicle sell checklist process (if I were them, not sure I would have noticed a half-quart either). Apparently a half quart makes a big difference in the internal pressure of the transmission which caused this issue. If this would have happened on the highway or otherwise it could have been worse or caused an accident. It was bad enough limping through town. Dealer removed excess fluid and appears to be operating fine (although I now question the longevity of the transmission after this incident). This was obviously an issue during assembly and I am sure I am not the only one that may have been affected. I only assuming that a robot was inadvertently overfilling the fluid on a bunch of transmissions along the way. Can provide VIN as necessary.

- Medina, OH, USA