Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey shows an early trend of transmission problems with clunking/jerking when shifting gears.

Most of these Odyssey transmissions are still under warranty, but so far Toyota generally hasn't been able to diagnose or fix the clunking problem — that's the reason for our low rating. Some owners have reported it was a stuck solenoid, & in a few cases Honda has replaced the entire transmission.

As more of these Odysseys start exceeding the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty limit, buyer beware.

2014 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Odyssey:

2014 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 142014

We purchaced a brand new elite (2014) our first issue the transmission bucked at low and high speeds so we took it in 2/2016. They stated that it required a frimware update. Now the van vibrates between and 25-35 and also 60-65 mph also when you accelerate its now jerky and/or un-smooth with shifting. We took in to the Honda dealership (8/16)to fix this new issue now the tech reports that the fluid is black. The van only has 38,000 miles....Honda should issue a recall.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Same transmission problems as many other people with the car bucking when slowly accelerating after a stop. Also accelerating problems with it being jerky and/or un-smooth. It sometimes jolts forward as well. When van is taken out of part on any incline, there is a loud "clunk" as it shifts into reverse. Purchased the van brand new in June 2014. Vehicle now has less than 26,000 miles on it.

- Prospect, KY, USA

May 302016

Transmission problems with the car bucking when slowly accelerating after a stop. Also accelerating problems with it being jerky and/or un-smooth. It sometimes jolts forward as well. We just purchased this car used from a dealer less than 2 months ago with 16,500 miles on it.

- Wyndmoor, PA, USA

Jun 112016

Transmission has hard jerk when shifting at every gear level (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.) Honda dealer reports that the fluid is black. It only has 57,000 miles. I see many other people online complaining of transmission problems on the 2014 Odyssey...Honda should issue a recall.

- Edinburgh, IN, USA

Jun 152016

While I am driving the Honda Odyssey today, everytime I was increasing the speed from 0, it was giving big jerk. I stopped and again increased the speed, same problem. I turned it off and restarted, then it was fine. Same thing happened many times in past, but never recognized the pattern.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

May 082016

Our 2014 Honda Odyssey has 41,000 miles on it and we have had to have new brakes three times and rotors resurfaced twice. We just had to have a bent axle replaced. The new axle was also bent so a third one had to be installed.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Very rough transmission down-shift from 2nd to 1st when slowing down, but not coming to a complete stop, and then accelerating. This can be avoided by very slowly pressing the accelerator pedal on acceleration (very slow acceleration). I told the dealer about this problem and was told this is normal operation. I do not feel this type of operation is normal. Further, I see many other similar complaints on this site. Mileage is about 18,000, but the problem has existed since the vehicle was new (purchased 10/30/14).

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Mar 022016

My 2014 Odyssey have the transmission clunk. When slowing down to under 20-30km/H then lifting off the brake then applying the gas the transmission clunks/shudders loudly and you feel it. I can reproduce this 95% of the time. I will be taking this into the dealer and will update. But seeing that there are numerous people complaining of this exact thing Honda needs to issue a recall.

- Oshawa, UT, USA

Nov 282015

We bought a 2014 Honda odessey it's started jerking when it was 7500 miles while driving in surface street in henderson, nv we immediately took it to the dealer have it fixed they said they updated the software then started jerking again for the 2nd time when it was 2700 miles that almost cause us into an accident while driving to los angeles. We had it towed on 11/29/15 by aaa from la to oc in our hotel because it is unsafe to drive with my kids in it. This car is dangerous because the jerks comes and go everytime we take it to the dealer they keep saying it needs an software update they kept our car at the dealer for 2 days this time they said nothing wrong with it they updated the software again. We lived in las vegas now we are afraid to make a long trips because we feel like this car is not safe enough for my family. They can't just keep updating software on their transmission everytime the van jerks. Plus we never know when the jerks is going to start and stop especially when you are far away from home. This is not reliable and unsafe. The Honda need to do something about it for the safety of the consumers.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Nov 022015

I leased my 2014 Odyssey on June 2014. I'm complaining about its jerking, those loud clunk during shift to 1st to 2nd gear started yesterday evening when I drove home with my wife from airport in stop and drive traffic. The car's transmission continued to do this every time I tried to accelerate between 10-20 miles per hour. It continued to jerk and clunk for 10 miles as I drove on the freeway. This is dangerous and made our hearts beat as it felt like the engine was going to fall out. I took the car to the dealer next day morning and they told me nothing wrong with the car as no diagnostic codes came up. They cannot get the car to duplicate issue now. I have to bring the car to them as soon as the problem occur. They only did software update for me at that time, hope it will help. For one year old 12000 mileage car, I think this is a serious problem. The reason I chosen Honda Odyssey was its safety rate. Now I felt unsafe in this car, especially with my two kids. I started looking online and I see a lot of people complaining about this issue now! hoping NHTSA help us pushing Honda to fix this problem before terrible things happen.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Jul 032015

On several previous occasions and on this date in particular experienced a serious jerk that appeared to be transmission related when starting back from a low mile per hour slow down. After the jerking between gears it seemed to operate more smoothly the next time. This intermittent problem is concerning as the vehicle has less than 15,000 mile but the warranty is almost half over in months. Am considering pursuit of a "lemon" law claim for this and other more minor issues. We told the dealer of the incidents and they said that the next time it happens we need to go to a Honda dealer immediately and not turn off the engine to see if the error is recorded in the on board diagnostic system. Not a very convenient fix.

- Huntingtown, MD, USA

Jun 262014

We were driving in stop and go traffic in ca and our 2014 Odyssey engine began to clunk and whole car jerked (like running over something like a speed bump) each time we tried to accelerate through second gear. Felt like hitting something or engine falling out. The car's transmission continued to do this every time we tried to accelerate between 20-30 miles per hour. It continued to jolt/jerk/and clunk for 20 miles as we drove on the freeway. This is dangerous and made my heart skip beats as it felt like the engine was going to fall out/like being in a crash. Contacted Honda but their service was about to close. We pulled over to do our errand and when we restarted the car it stopped. The shifting on the vehicle is not smooth through gears. Took next day to Honda and they will not fix as no diagnostic codes came up and cannot get the car to duplicate issue now. Now there is a tsb to update software but dealership will not do unless issue is duplicated again. Safety issue that your brand new vehicle may have engine transmission fail at any point during travel. Jolting is so severe when it happens that it could cause you to have an accident.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 112015

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was in traffic and driving a steady 50 mph when the engine suddenly shutdown. After I realized what the situation was I placed the transmission into neutral, steered the car off the road as soon as it was safe to do and stopped. I just had the engine oil and filter replaced when this event happened 3.7 miles from the repair shop. I suspected a problem with the oil change. After stopping I checked for oil under engine (none) and then checked the dipstick (full). I had the van towed to the shop where their personnel checked under the engine for an oil leak and then checked the dipstick as I had done. They told me to take the van to Honda. It"S been a week and Honda said I need new heads for the engine because the timing ?jumped?. the oil change had no effect on this failure. So far, nobody at Honda can tell me what actually caused the timing to ?jump". the total repair is being done by Honda and is covered by the Honda's new car warranty. I've never had any kind of problems with this van prior to this unexpected and sudden failure.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Mar 152014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Rpms race while van is in idle an takes off with a jump in transmission. Clanking noise metal on metal in rear brakes, downshifts at lower speeds when trying to accelerate above 35 mph, slowing to make a turn and transmission jumps feels like being rear ended, parking brake doesn't engage at times, on flat when putting into park transmission clunks and vehicle has a definite movement like something falling out or on vehicle, looses power at 65 mph no matter how much the gas pedal is floored then suddenly jumps into high speed thrusting van forward, transmission jumps severely when parked on a graded slope and make metal clanking sound. Dealer says there are no issues and this is all normal. This is a direct safety issue for me and I am worried that something might happen causing an accident. At one point some adjustments to sensors were performed but did not correct issue. Brake issue discovered and attempt was made to correct twice. Told this is normal. Also a loud electronic computer sounding like an ancient reboot of an old computer is greatly noticeable when the problems act up. Told this is normal an no problems by the dealer. I feel I am being ignored and treated like a stupid person each time I call. Service manager actually stated that his hands are tied and took to next level of district service manager who stated this is normal. I beg to differ. The district service manager did not speak with me at all. What game is Honda playing. Safety issues and performance of vehicle are being ignored. Rearview camera is acting up as well as electric door locks and sliding doors are slow to respond while closing. Worried about safety while driving.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

We got this brand new 2014 Odyssey in early 2014, now with less than 7500 miles. Recently we have been noticing rough, jerky transmission shifting (very noticeable between low gears). Today I went to the Honda service and informed them about the issues. The Honda dealer service representative was surprised, and told me there is no such issue that they know about. After insisting, he made an appointment this coming Thursday morning so that his mechanic to ride with me so that I can show him. I hope the problem can be duplicated when we do the test ride with them. And then I am afraid if the problem does not happen during this test ride or if it does they are not be able to figure out the cause or worst is they may not admit there is any transmission jerking and tell me..... everything is just fine etc. I hope this car is not a lemon and we end up fighting in a battle with Honda pursuing the lemon law. I could not find anywhere on the Honda or Honda owner's website any link so that I could submit to Honda these issues. I like to find other website where I could find more information on such issues.

- Martinez, GA, USA

May 152014

I purchased the 2014 Odyssey in March 2014. About 2 months later, going down ramp to free way (it seems that the transmission gear slip or something) and it had a hard shake. I continued to drive on freeway at high speed for a few minutes seem fine. When I exited to check out, the shake came back at lower gear. I turned off the car and turn back on and it never happened again. However, just recently, just last week, it happened again. Also, I feel that the car is keep hunting for gears.. up shift and down shift and making the rides very rough. I am afraid that something like this will cause an accident later. I purchased this car because of good crash test result, but I don't want to buy a car to cause an accident. Please help.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 232014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Bought vehicle in March 2014, only a few months later I started having vibration in the steering wheel while braking. It continued to get worse and happened each time I would come to a stop. Dealer confirmed that rotors were warped. Now in a previous complaint, I wrote about my transmission problems. I don't know if the rotors were just defective or if they became warped due to being overheated with friction as a result of the transmission not functioning properly. I just want to make other owners aware of this problem. Once the dealer replaced the rotors, the vibration stopped.

- Forked River, NJ, USA

Jun 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission problems started very early on, I bought vehicle in March 2014. The transmission jerks/bucks horribly especially in lower gears, while stopping/breaking, while accelerating, and also during turns. It jolts forward at times uncontrollably. Also, it doesn't shift correctly into gears, which causes rpms to get above 3000 just during regular driving. Also has problems with downshifting properly. The front rotors and breaks have already had to be replaced at only 12,800 miles. Imo, I believe they warped due to the fact that the transmission does not downshift properly, (this caused extra strain on them with the lack of assist from the transmission). The transmission also lags during acceleration, especially when you are trying to pass someone on the highway, even the slightest pressing of the breaks before changing lanes causes major lag with trying to regain speed, then the vehicle you originally tried to pass is now further ahead of you, so overall it is horrible with passing speed/acceleration. Brought into dealer and they claim nothing is wrong. Their famous lines are "no code no problem", "we can't duplicate the problem", or they say "its normal". during a test drive with the service director and the mechanic, the problem was in fact duplicated. The mechanic acknowledged that there was a problem, however the service director still insisted it was driving normal. Thankfully, I audio-recorded the test drive so I do have physical proof that the mechanic acknowledge that my transmission was having problems during the test drive. I now record all my conversations with them and take pictures/video's of the various problems to have as proof since they always give me excuse after excuse and lie. I also have other various problems with my van which I will file in separate complaint due to limited space.

- Forked River, NJ, USA

Nov 192014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when I heard a loud clunk. Thought I hit a bump but when I got off the highway and stopped at a light the car starting bucking between 0-30 miles per hour. It continued to do so at every start. Drove it to Honda dealership where they found nothing wrong with vehicle. Have done research on vehicle only to find numerous other complaints of same issue. This is dangerous! if I was trying to cross an intersection and it started bucking, I might not make it out of intersection on time. Please investigate this issue as Honda is saying nothing is wrong with their cars.

- Safety Harbor, FL, USA

Dec 192014

Odyssey 6-cyl

When traveling at low speeds the car jerks and feels like you drove over something large when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. In 2nd gear there is significant loss of power and inability to sufficiently accelerate. Stopped, put car into park, tried again. Car proceeded to jerk horribly every time when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Took to the closest dealership. They were unable to replicate the problem. At times it almost felt as if the car was out of my control because of the jerking.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA