CarComplaints.com Notes: We all want our SUVs to be able to stop on a dime, just not randomly and without warning. But that's what was happening to 2005 Pilot owners: their vehicles were slamming on the brakes even when they didn't. A government investigation of this problem led to a recall in March of 2013.

Another issue that keeps popping up is transmission fluid mixing with coolant in the radiator which is causing transmission failure, a costly repair to say the least.

2005 Honda Pilot lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Pilot:

2005 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Mar 042016

Pilot

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. While the vehicle was parked and the headlights were activated, smoke appeared behind the steering wheel. The contact stated that there was an abnormal burning odor when the head lamps were activated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the headlights failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 12V136000 (exterior lighting); however, the repair failed to remedy the vehicle. The failure recurred numerous times. The contact stated that the headlights were inoperable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 180,000.

- Patrick, SC, USA

Jul 052015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. While driving 60 mph at night, the front low beam headlights suddenly failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the low beam terminal harness failed and would need to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Albany, OR, USA

Jun 012011

Pilot

Center consol lights are out

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Aug 252013

Pilot

I tried to turn my headlights on in my driveway and the low beams would not come on. I shut the car off and tried again, and the low beams came on. After the low beams started working again I tried to turn the high beams on, and they would not work, and have not worked since. I spoke to the dealer and they said that the recall for the headlight wiring harness only affects the low beams. They also said that I would have to pay the diagnoses fee. It is noted in the recall which is NHTSA recall campaign number : 12V136000 that the dealer will replace either the wiring harness or the lighting switch as necessary, free of charge. The dealer also said that they had never heard of this issue (which is clearly documented). Honda needs to let the dealers that they are obligated to fix this problem. The dealer also told me that I was not a customer of theirs because I did not buy the car there or receive regular services there, and that I should just pay the diagnoses fee so that they could pay their technicians. Needless to say the dealer was no help and is the only one in my area. Screw you Honda, and scholfield Honda as well.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Feb 012012

Pilot 6-cyl

The climate control lights have gone out on the dashboard of our 2005 Honda Pilot and it has been a common complaint of other owners on internet forums. It becomes a hazard at night because the buttons do not illuminate which I believe is an extreme hazard that takes the eyes off the road for longer than needed to adjust settings. No other place in the dash has had the bulbs stop working but it seems to be happening to everyone's climate control lights. I think this is an extreme hazard similar to someone using a phone in the car and Honda should be held responsible to correct the problems.

- Beaver, PA, USA

Aug 132012

Pilot

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that while using either turn signal, the headlights temporarily fail. The contact stated that over time, the headlights have completed failed. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic and was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that NHTSA campaign id number: 12V136000 (exterior lighting: Headlights: Switch) was not related to their issue. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 64,696.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Dec 152008

Pilot 6-cyl

My wife lost control, 2 lane paved road 45 mph (car damage from bumper till rear end) coming to stop in a ditch to her left. No other vehicle/involved, report was filed with insurance, car repaired ( over $10,000 ) I arrived as police officer was interviewing my wife @ our driveway, she was still crying, never had any accidents before, or speeding tickets ( very passive driver, our kids where in the car 3 and 4 years old @ the time) her explanation: The car was going out of the road to my right on its own, I tried to corrected but the steering was not responding, I felt the car going into the ditch, I pulled hard, it responded crossing the lane violently, tried to control it came back to the right hitting the stop ahead sign, swerved again to the left and stopping @ the ditch.150 feet from the intersection, between telge rd. Westbound and grant rd. Cypress tx 77429 previous owners of Honda CRV, we love theirs cars we thought it was just bad luck, things that happen, we moved on. Since then she/complained/brakes will disengaged and engage again. The car will stop but a couple of feet longer that intended. 1st. Time I replace brake pads, 2nd.time I tried to replicate the experience but no luck. 3rd. Time new brake fluid and complete brake inspection. 12/2012 she told me again. I decided to drive the car to work myself every day. 12/29/2012 coming back from work, stop sing, hit the brakes, right before the car stops the pedal sunk completely, noises came from the wheels as if there was and on/off switch being use for braking. The car stops about 10 feet longer then intended. Being concern about a solution I started looking for any info about this online, so it could fix it this is my kids/wife vehicle. I discover all the similar cases online, I wonder if the steering really when out of control on its own, like she swore to my in 2008.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 122012

Pilot

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph with the headlights activated when both headlights suddenly failed to illuminate. The high beam headlights were engaged in order for the contact to continue driving. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the headlight dimmer switch was replaced at the owner's expense. There was a recall related to the defect under NHTSA campaign id number 12V136000 (exterior lighting:headlights:switch) however, the contact's vehicle was ineligible for repairs under the recall because the headlight connector was not exposed to heat damage. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 152012

Pilot 6-cyl

Vehicle low beams stopped working. Further investigation showed charred wire and melted connector. This issue has been recognized by Honda for the same model on an earlier model year (NHTSA id 12V136000). Honda part designations and failure description match recall. I would recommend Honda expand recall to cover all effected vehicles.

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Jul 212012

Pilot

While driving home after dark, we suddenly lost both dim headlights. Have tried replacing bulbs, fuses, relays, steering column switch and nothing as worked. Checked recalls online and this same problem happened in the 2003 Pilot to which there was a recall. Same parts I understand. Luckily, there was no traffic and we were able to stop and figure out that we still had bright lights and could continue home, but having 3 children in the car and driving blind was a horrific experience and this should be added to the list of recall.

- West Liberty, OH, USA

Jul 132012

Pilot 6-cyl

The low-beam headlights simultaneously failed to work and have not worked since. This was first noticed while driving on the interstate hundreds of miles from home, and it was necessary to drive with the bright headlights on the rest of the way to the destination. I was just checking online to find out how I might fix the problem and saw reports of March 30, 2012 that Honda was recalling 2003 Pilot for this problem -- obviously Honda needs to recall the 2005 Pilot also! I will be contacting the dealer to have them fix this problem on my vehicle for no charge.

- Wilmette, IL, USA

Jul 012012

Pilot 6-cyl

My low beam passenger headlight socket melted resulting in the headlight to become inoperative. It has significantly reduced my visibility and increased the risk of a crash. The same issue has been recalled in the 2003 Honda Pilot, see NHTSA campaign id number 12V136000. Despite the fact that the same parts are also used in 2004 and 2005 Honda Pilot, these model years are not included in the recall for some unknown reason. Based on the number of complaints regarding this issue, it appears to be a common issue with 2004 and 2005 Honda Pilot owners. Please revise the recall provided above to also include 2004 and 2005 model years as well.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Jul 012012

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Apr 062011

Pilot

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the low beam headlights did not illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and they advised her that the headlight switch melted into two pieces and caused the failure. The low beam switch was repaired three times prior. The manufacturer was notified and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 125,000.

- North Port, AL, USA

Dec 082011

Pilot 6-cyl

Display lights on several buttons on climate control unit are not lit up, this makes it difficult to see & make adjustments at night.checked all fuses, all ttare intact.dealer states problem not covered by warranty.I checked various sites & noticed similar complaints.plz notify if there are any service bulletins or recalls tnks. *

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 112011

Pilot 6-cyl

Lights for HVAC system do not illuminate. Unable to see controls for defroster, A/C, heat, etc. When driving at night.

- Safety Harbor , FL, USA

Jul 132011

Pilot

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the low beam headlights failed and were no longer operable. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 126,000. Updated 07/26/11 updated 3/22/12

- Portland , OR, USA

Mar 072010

Pilot

Driving along highway, headlights fail to turn on. Brights work. Unable to use headlights for any driving. Checked fuses all good, though incorrect marking on a 15A fuse slot that is 20A. All lights bulbs are good, even replaced to be sure. Found melted 16 pin connector with combination stalk switch. Unable to repair yet.

- Marquette, MI, USA