Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: So far the 2011 Elantra doesn't have the same volume of transmission problems that 2010 owners are fighting with. It also doesn't have the same pattern of steering and braking complaints that are piling up with the 2013 model year.

We're not saying the 2011 is perfect -- I mean, what were they thinking advertising their MPGs -- but there are worse choices.

2011 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Elantra:

2011 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 112013

I was driving my Elantra when the ems elec. Stability control light came on and the auto began to shake as I was driving. The road was dry and weather was regular. It feels as if the auto is driving on flat wheels or on ice. I lose stability in my steering. I have taken my auto to Hyundai twice. They claim they there computers can't find any errors. This is an issue that randomly occur and can't be created at will. I don't feel safe driving while these incidents happen. I've found similar complaints of this issue online with other Elantra 2011 customer. Hyundai doesn't want to acknowledge that there is an issue with the electronic stability control and steering.

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Sep 092012

Since I bought the car late Feb. 2011 (after they release the new modeled cars in the last days of the previous year)...I have complained and inquired about an occurrence that happens with the brakes on occasion that seems to be triggering: Vsm, ESC, tcs, ABS, brake assist and/or ebd safety systems under normal road, temperatures, speeds, brake pressure. There has been at brake delays, very loud grinding noise, and at times provided a violent push back and pumping unlike any normal ABS system and those times were few but again under normal conditions no sudden breaking. The grinding sounds and feels a bit like a second after you apply pressure to the brake an anchor drops on the road and bounces and grinds against mental and the pavement. It feels like an empty brake pad (but is not) and stop as if one also. However not all the time and when the brakes are normal it feels safe. However, it happens even slowly parking in my flat smooth driveway sometimes (no sand I check everytime). I have avoided many accidents just barely when this is triggered and it most often causing double the stopping time. I end up into the intersecting streets beyond a stop sign or stop light by about half a car length. It doesn't always kick in right away with brake pressure but trips it up a second later and you have to almost trick the brake and steering to get control and stop in time. There has been too much of a process in an effort to correct it, other issues found, and multiple accident caused from it one of which cause a hospital visit and an injury leaving me will a hematoma and crooked smile still. I need help and more space to explain. Please email me for details.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Jul 022011

Elantra 4-cyl

Dry day, normal acceleration, traction control killed power upon entering highway traffic leaving us sitting in 50-55 mph traffic, then cleared up, twice within 3 hours. Also on same day, 60 mph on a two lane road the skid control light came on and applied the left front brake pulling me into oncoming traffic, I reacted quickly and brought auto back to my lane and turned off skid control. This happened once before.fortunately there was no traffic. The skid control light came on then went back out both times. One failure seemed to be the traction control, the other was the skid control. I suspect a bad wheel speed sending unit. So far the dealer has found nothing.

- Canon, GA, USA