Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 10 of 28)

Dec 132015

Previous owner of '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 13 years. Traded it on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee sport 3 months ago. During first month while driving up a mountain, vehicle started losing power and all of the warning lights and chimes came on at the same time along with wipers. Wipers were in the off position, so could not turn wipers off. Had to drive this way until I could reach auto parts store to get the fault codes read. Nothing showed up. Started back up, warning lights gone. Also, constant rough shifting in 1st, 2nd to 3rd gears. Often feels like car is in neutral- not in any gear for a few seconds while driving. At one point, transmission was slamming into gear around 27mph. Major hesitation when pulling out from stop. Concerns me that car is not going to move and that I might get hit by another car. Have to be very alert when driving this car and have to be constantly aware of what the transmission is doing. Transmission seems to be thinking about shifting and not doing anything for a few seconds while driving. At around 26 mph, if you take your foot off the gas, the vehicle actually speeds up. Not safe! called sales manager at dealership and was told that this is the way this computerized transmission is supposed to act and nothing that could be done but I can make an appointment if I wanted. The service tech repeated almost word for word what I was told by sales manager. Tech could not find anything wrong during test drive. Suggested I allow a sales person to drive it home that evening. Sales person must have noticed something since tech called to say they would be changing the shift point parameters and suggested sales person take it home again. Slamming into gear around 27mph stopped, but hesitation, speeding up when coasting and rough shifting has continued. Not liking this car at all! older is definitely better when it comes to Jeep!

- Oxford, ME, USA

Feb 182015

2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude 2.4L 4X4 - bought 9/14 - rough shifting between first and second gear, delay or lag time during start and stop that have almost caused an accident due to the transmission delay when merging into traffic or during take off from a turn out. When the lag happens shortly into the shift cycle you will feel and hear a thumping sound in the middle of the vehicle. It seems the transmission isn't sure what gear it's in. My Jeep has been in for service 5 times for the same issue since 2/18/15. - during service at the Jeep dealership have been told that all Jeep shift funny, or have rough shifting. During test drives with tech, service adviser, and service manager, issues are present, and they say it is shifting normal, all Jeep shift hard. The delay or lag of the shifting is situational and hard to repeat to the dealership during any of the test drives. Chrysler has only had the software updates, issue is still not resolved. No eta on issue being resolved. Latest service visit 02/09/16 service adviser was on a test drive with me and notice how rough the shifting was, and stated that isn't normal. Notes state "still having some shifting issues. Between 1 and second. No dtc's are present. No updates are available. I asked when it will be corrected and been told, they are waiting on another software update. My wife is the primary driver of the vehicle, it concerns me that one of these times, it isn't going to shift or delay/lag to long and cause an accident.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Feb 022016

I took my Jeep in to autonation Jeep in littleton Colorado where I bought it; after about a year of fighting with the service manager "justine", and service advisor keith!! 5 safety recalls, and now in January of 2016 I thought finally they completed it!! also replaced the PCV unit in the transfer case! leaking; so now I tried using the snow mode after I had the Jeep back and it does not engage! I can feel that it doesn't! I got stuck in the snow on the freeway, and was in the middle of the street I had to dig out, and sliding around! I have called the service advisor keith, service manager dave and the general manager steve! and they are ignoring me and not calling me back! I know how my Jeep operates in the snow mode and it is a AWD it made it in the snow good before they replaced the PCV unit. They apparently don't care about the safety of customers or other people on the highways, because someone could of plowed into me, because the part they replaced is evidently defective. And I also called Chrysler corporate hotline and nothing has been resolved! this is a dangerous Jeep and should be repaired,

- Littleton, CO, USA

Feb 122016

On three separate dates over the last year while driving on the highway my Cherokee has lost transmission drive power to the wheels although the engine remains running. This has created very dangerous situations involving trucks and other traffic behind me when I have lost power and need to make my way to the breakdown lane. The first two occurrences happened about a year ago and Jeep replaced the transmission control module after much wrangling with them. The third incident happened yesterday and I am trying to get Jeep to promptly address this issue but Jeep service is poor. This is a recurring problem with this transmission that produces an extremely dangerous situation for the driver and those around them.

- Westford, MA, USA

Jan 282015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While operating the vehicle, the check engine light illuminated and the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The parts were not available. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 11,600. Updated 04/08/16

- Feasterville, PA, USA

Jun 112015

3 months after ordering my Jeep the transmission started shifting really hard and making noises, then started to leak fluid. Took it in to the shop where they couldn't move it from the show floor. The transmission was bad. Took them 30 + days to get my car back to me. Didn't install the transmission correctly and they broke the guard, as well as the passenger door handle fell off. After multiple return trips to correct the hard shifting this car was deemed a lemon.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 272016

At 15,000 miles my Jeep started to shift hard, and get stuck in low gears when trying to accelerate. The check engine light came on. I took it in for repairs, after a week in the shop, I tried to drive it home, didn't even get it home before check engine light was back on and it was back in the shop now needing a new transmission.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Sep 302014

Transmission shifts erratically. When stopping and starting at a stop sign, transmission may not engage, then engages with a hard bang into gear. Other times when slowing down and then trying to accelerate, transmission may not engage quickly enough. Transmission is dangerous as one does not know if the transmission will engage when needed, especially when needed to get out of the way of other vehicles. Car has been into Jeep dealership 4 times, opened a case with Jeep, told this is normal operation for the transmission. The transmission is getting worse and dangerous as you do not know how it will react.

- North Granby, CT, USA

Jun 222015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a lack of acceleration while the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V393000 (structure) and 15V509000 (visibility); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 21,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Feb 092016

I was stopped at a red light near a shopping center and I went to turn right and my Jeep would not go so I pressed a little bit further on the gas pedal and it took off almost like a lunge with jerky movement. This same thing happened when I was stopped at a red light from the shopping center entering a busy city 4 lane street going straight through the intersection and when the light turned green my Jeep wouldn't go at first then I pressed a bit further on the gas pedal and it lunged forward. Good thing there was not a car in front of me! this has happened plenty of times and we have only had this vehicle for about 2.5 months. It is now getting scary for me to drive knowing that if it lunges when it shouldn't I could be in an accident. So this is why I am filing a complaint.

- Erie, PA, USA

Feb 012016

The car has had rough shifting between gears 1-2 and 2-3 since I picked it up. I had a recall performed that stated "the transmission control module (tcm) and powertrain control module (PCM) software in your vehicle requires an update that will help prevent potential durability issues with the transmission." This recall took away the ability for the vehicle to downshift to 2nd gear on its own to reduce wear on a faulty part in the transmission. Now when I need to accelerate after braking into the 2nd gear speed range my car has to take time to decide how it wants to shift and it is entirely unpredictable. Sometimes it throws into 1st and spins the tires and other times I get a dead pedal with a delay before I get any acceleration. This puts me in dangerous situations when I'm trying to merge into traffic and Jeep has refused to offer a real fix to the issue. The response from corporate to my dealership is that it is "operating as designed." This is a dangerous workaround by a company that refuses to offer a true fix to the problem and I have no where else to turn for help other than the NHTSA.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 312016

Transmission failure while driving. Car failed to accelerate while on a city street, transmission and parking light came on. When car was able to be re-started, loud "clunk" sound occurred when gears shifted. Car had to be towed to dealership. Fear for safety of me and my two children to drive car and have transmission fail and car stall while on the road. After researching and reading similar incidents that have occurred to countless others over a two year period, it is appalling that nothing has been done to warn customers of the deadly dangers of this car or that a recall or buyout has not happened. Many of us are now stuck with these dangerous vehicles with no recourse as of yet.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jan 272016

Vehicle seems to have transmission problems. It has been at the dealership several times now due to shifting problems and loosing power while on the freeway. The RPM's seem to go very high and then drop to 0 with no warning. Vehicle stalls out and thus far fca has had no resolution. This is a serious safety issue as it can occur while your accelerating to enter the freeway or while passing another vehicle. Also a danger of loosing power at an inconvenient moment and potentially causing a crash from the rear. Problem has been ongoing since December of 2015 with no solution as of the end of January 2016.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 222016

Drive about 37689 miles. Inserted key to run, nothing happened, turned it off, turned it back to run, it power up but engine light pop out, transmission failure, tcm internal failure code P1634. Turned it off, waited for half hour, turned it on, power run normal with a lot of noise, engine light still on. Shift it to drive and it goes backward, then shift it to park, cranking noise under the car. Messaged transmission service, park brake service and ESC disabled/off. Turned it off again. Waited for few minutes turned it on, engine light still on, shift it drive, push the pedal (gas) doesn't go, about 3 seconds later it drive normally. Every time shift to drive have to wait few sec to go.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Jan 012015

I took my Jeep into the dealer to have the transmission looked at after the latest software update. It has worsened in its poor performance. It has huge delays shifting and lunges. It also disengages momentarily when braking. The fuel performance has gone down about 3 mpg since the update from 26mpg to 22.5mpg. There is a serious shake in the system at any speed above 60mph. It vibrates when there is pressure to the wheels. Costing downhill it seems fine. I replaced the tires and have had them balanced and rotated twice thinking that was the problem. The dealer said they were not able to identify the problem and did not do any repair or correction. It is not right and I am not sure what to do with it. Hate to trade or sell it at this point because I know I will take a huge loss on it.

- Louisburg, KS, USA

Jan 012015

We love Jeep...this is our 10th. But the only one we have had problems with. Rough shifting into 2 and 3rd. After 4 or 5 dealer visits they basically said; "live with it." Jeep customer help couldn't help. Engine stopped three times at about 40 mph, very dangerous almost lemoned the car over this safety problem and my wife almost divorced me on this one...but Jeep came though and got a fix on this. Now the Jeep is upshifting and accelerating driving down hill into curves at about 50mph. Jeep guys can't duplicate this and basically said to "live with it." Trouble is, how can you live with a car that might kill you?

- Santa Ysabel, CA, USA

Nov 132015

Shifting clunks/jerks when going into second gear, intermittently.

- Coupeville, WA, USA

Jan 242016

While driving on a busy highway at around 40 mph, my 2014 Jeep Cherokee suddenly stopped accelerating. A message displayed on the dashboard saying "transmission needs service" with the check engine light, parking brake light and the traction control light all coming on at the same time. We were able to coast off the highway and into a gas station parking lot. I am very surprised we did not get hit from behind! we have had prior issues with the transmission such as hard shifting and sudden acceleration with increasingly high rpms while the car was coming to a stop. We took the car in to have the transmission serviced but the dealership service department could not recreated the issue and said there were no problems, the best they could do was to reprogram the transmission. Needless to say the reprogram did not fix the problem. After looking further into this issue, I have found several complaints from other owners with the same exact issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 202015

While driving the vehicle, the vehicle all of a sudden shut off. The "service transmission" light came on. After sending the truck to the dealership, two days later I experienced the same issue. The truck shut off when I was turning into the intersection while taking my kids to school. Same message appeared on the dash. I've read online that many Jeep Cherokee owners are experiencing the same issue. My vehicle was purchased brand new in 2014, 37,688 miles. The vehicle is still in the shop, but I am honestly afraid to drive it again because it is very dangerous to drive a vehicle and to have it just shut off all of a sudden due to a faulty transmission by the manufacturer.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Jan 162016

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact stopped at a traffic light. When she attempted to make a right turn, the vehicle stopped and a "put gear in park" message appeared. The vehicle was turned off and was able to be restarted after a few minutes. The vehicle jerked, but the contact was able to drive home. The failure recurred the next day without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to a local dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact was informed of NHTSA campaign number: 15V509000 (visibility). The failure mileage was 26,000.

- Upper Darby, PA, USA