CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 14 of 30)

Feb 142015

Cherokee

Transmission not down shifting causing the vehicle to be sluggish while trying to merge into traffic creating an unsafe condition as the vehicle will not accelerate. The transmission also has a bucking sensation from time to time when trying to accelerate as the transmission cannot seem to figure out which gear it needs to be in. The vehicle is currently at the dealer for this safety concern along with safety issues with the forward collision system. We were notified by the dealer that some additional software changes were made to the transmission and it is better, but still not fixed and that "it is what it is" until Jeep comes up with a solution. We are refusing the vehicle back from the dealer due to the way the transmission is operating and also with the issues that we are experiencing with the forward collision system. There is currently an open case on this vehicle with Jeep. Note: We have had the Jeep at multiple dealers multiple times and continue to be told that "it's just the nature of the transmission". in addition, this has been an ongoing issue since purchased new in February 2014.

- Englewood, OH, USA

Nov 162015

Cherokee

The Jeep Cherokee transmission started to slip and downshift causing vehicle to slow. Vehicle would jerk hard back into correct gear as vehicle was traveling at 60 mph. Check engine light came on. Drove immediately to dealership with transmission continuing to malfunction. Left vehicle with dealership for diagnosis and repairs. This was on 11/16/2015. Picked up vehicle on 11/19/2015 and advised update to shaft ware was completed to slove transmission issues. Drove three quarters way home and traveling 65 mph on state highway, the transmission started slipping and downshifting causing vehicle to slow and then jerk back into correct gear. Check engine light came on as well as every warning and system light on the dash. Warning to driver to come to a complete stop and turn engine off came on. Stopped vehicle and turned off engine and after a couple of minutes turned engine on and drove back to dealership. Vehicle currently at dealership for diagnosis.

- Blanco, TX, USA

Nov 162015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the gear lever mechanism failed to operate when engaged. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,885.

- Spring Creek, NV, USA

Feb 122015

Cherokee

2 times already I have had to take my car into the dealership because it would shut off randomly while driving. This has happened while on the highway and also while on busy streets. So far I have been able to drift to the side of the road, put the car in park and then turn the car off and back on. The car sputters when restarting and on multiple occasions will stall again. Both times they tried to blame it on the oil change being overdue. The 2nd time I had to have the car towed to the dealership and they stated there was no oil in the car. How a car loses oil if there isn't a leak, I'm not sure. This is now the third time it is happening and based on the car's computer I still have 30% to go before needing an oil change and the car is shutting off on me again randomly. I was at the dealership for the 2nd time less than 3 months ago. I drive in miami and have been lucky that my son was not in the car with me.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 172015

Cherokee

When accelerating from stop or slow speed, the vehicle lunges, will not shift, shifts very hard to the point of loosing traction to the drive wheels. Various slow speeds city and highway on ramp get the same effect.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Nov 122015

Cherokee

While driving home from work the vehicle jerked and the transmission service light came on. Once the light came on the vehicle would not drive faster than 10 mph and the RPM were at like 4000. The transmission has been weird since day one. I brought the vehicle in and they reprogrammed the computer. It still acted funny after the reprogramming. There were times I would be traveling on the highway and would lose any sort of accelerating when the gas pedal was pressed. It would then kick in all of a sudden. All the issues regarding the transmission and its shifting hard were told to the service tech and I was told they couldn't find the problem. Also the front end steering linkage makes very loud noises when turning the wheel from left or right. This was also explained to the tech who said he couldn't find the issue. Yet the truck still makes the noises anytime it does it. This is not something you expect to deal with after purchasing a new vehicle which is not 2 years old. Especially it is the reason I bought this so I wouldn't have to worry about spending money on an old car and for dependability.

- Glendale, NY, USA

Jul 062014

Cherokee

The power train bucks hard, delays forward motion from stop position, especially with a cold start, and is much worse on cold days. Had the car back to the dealer several times, called Jeep, and they all tell me there is nothing they can do. I have also been told that not all of this model Jeep has this problem, I am one of the lucky ones. Please help me! I am a realtor and have clients in my car that look at me like, what is wrong with your car, and why isn't Jeep doing something about this? I do have several invoices from the dealer, stating my complaints, but nothing has been corrected, they have done "two updates" via their computer system, again, with no results.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Oct 212015

Cherokee

Driving to work on hwy in heavy traffic I accelerated up a small hill car jerked then powered down on hwy at 65 mph I was able to coast over three lanes of traffic and pull off to side of road then noticed service transmission, check parking break, put car in park and then select gear all came on as messages also the traction control light came on. Put care in park and restarted engine all lights/messages still on dash and car would not go into gear for driving. Tried two more times and finally could drive under 50 mph straight to dealer for service. The check transmission light remained on during my entire drive to the dealership. I had previously experienced acceleration when in traffic coasting and my foot off gas pedal. Also hard shifting multiple times like it was skipping gears when accelerating. Very scary and unsafe situation to be in.

- Rossford, OH, USA

Oct 212015

Cherokee

Ongoing issues regarding vehicle, multiple failures on multiple occasions. Serious powertrain issues, vehicle slow to respond driver acceleration input, erratic acceleration and shift performance. Airbags, stability control, forward crash mitigation/avoidance, and other safety systems failure on multiple occasions. Powertrain replaced, multiple software updates with no resolve, intermittent issue persists.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Oct 302015

Cherokee

Driving 65 mph on highway dashboard warning lights started flashing service transmission immediately. Transmission disengaged car would not respond when gas pedal was pushed. Message to shift car in park appeared. Had to coast in morning rush hour traffic to the shoulder. Could have been a very dangerous situation. On shoulder put it into park and if it was put into drive it would jolt severely and would not move more than a few inches with accelerator pressed. Had the car towed to the dealer on a flatbed. Was informed that a new transmission is needed. The Jeep Cherokee has 31000 miles.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Jan 162015

Cherokee

From stop accelerating to merge with highway traffic and pulling out of a street the car won't move. It's like the transmission is slipping. Very dangerous, have been almost hit several times. Other times the transmission shifts irregularly. Have taken it to our local dealership twice and have a third scheduled

- Littleton, NH, USA

Jul 132015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the rpms increased independently and the vehicle felt rough while driving in third gear. In addition, the vehicle suddenly increased speed and the brake pedal was depressed with excessive force in order to decrease the vehicles speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V509000 (visibility) but the recall remedy was not yet available. The contact felt that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Sonoma, CA, USA

Oct 272015

Cherokee

Last Thursday the vehicle lost all power after applying brakes going down a hill, when attempting to start it up again, it remained in the run position but was not functional, engine sounded like a car grinding. Pressing the starter did nothing, the vehicle would not turn off, but remained in the run position but with an abnormal sound and no ability to drive it. I just kept trying to put it in different gears, give it gas and finally the engine engaged and it was driven back up the hill to my home. It was driven to Jeep service the next day. They could not reproduce the problem and the "diagnostics" did not reveal a problem. The same thing happened today and it took me about 10 minutes of pushing starter button, trying different gears and giving it gas to get it functional again. This vehicle has been into Jeep at least 3 times for transmission problems. One time the vehicle was worse after going in, and 2 of the times it seemed better initially but was worse again within several weeks.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Oct 272015

Cherokee

This vehicle had been showing issues for a while now. The issues were brought to the local dealers attention but only would accept to take the car in for the radio recall these vehicles have currently. After taking the car on its first 100+ mile journey, upon getting closer to the exit I was supposed to take, the car would not shift to lower speeds properly and I had to stay on the shoulder to come to a stop, otherwise I would risk flipping the vehicle approaching the curved exit at such a speed. Must I say I gave the vehicle plenty of stopping/slowing distance. Upon coming to a stop ahead of the exit the car jumped forward clearly a problem with the deceleration of the transmission. I brought this issue up with the dealer the following day and stated I should watch the car further and be more careful. Just earlier today, the vehicle decided to jerk forward while decelerating from highway speeds again and the same response was given. Later this afternoon, approximately 2:30 pm est the key was put into the ignition and the car jumped forward striking the vehicle upfront but luckily not doing any visible damage. This car is an accident waiting to happen as I live near a children's school and work near a middle school and I worry one morning this car jumps forward and G-D forbid strikes a child or pedestrian and turn into chaos, as well as putting my children in danger. This car clearly has transmission faults and needs to be recalled legally once and for all..

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Oct 262015

Cherokee

Took car in for recent update to transmission software. Car was ok for a little while then went right back to the problems. Car shifts into wrong gear when climbing a hill and downshifts to to low of a gear causing the engine in to high RPM. Sometimes the transmission does not engage when depressing the accelerator. Have to release accelerator then transmission will engage. Car has a hard shift point from 2nd to 3rd gear. This has caused me to be more cautious while driving and making sure I have enough time to pull out into traffic incase the transmission doesnt engage.

- Lawrenceburg, IN, USA

Apr 012015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while turning the ignition key to start the engine, the vehicle suddenly surged forward. The contact also indicated that when going from stop to start and while ascending up a hill, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a PCM and dtcm update but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 02/19/16

- Fredricktown, MO, USA

Oct 172015

Cherokee

I have reported three earlier incidents regarding this issue. I have taken this up with GM. They have attempted to fix this 3 previous times. On 9/22/215 the service department replaced part 68214620ab. I was going to an event an hour away on October 17, 2015. I was attempting to pass another vehicle on a two lane highway. The speed limit was 75 and the car in front of me was going about 70. When we reached a passing lane, I attempted to pass going about 80 miles an hour. As I pulled even with the other car, the transmission down shifted and the engine red lined when I pressed the pedal to the floor. The engine roared and did not return to normal RPM until I took my foot off the pedal. This is unacceptable. I was running out of passing lane. Fortunately there was no on coming traffic. I continue to be afraid to drive this car in highway traffic as there is no predicting when it will shift or how it will respond to changes in speed. I have not drivin it very much since the "repair" on 09/22/15 for this reason.

- Brownwood, TX, USA

Oct 172015

Cherokee

The electronic transmission constantly slips or has a delayed engagement coming off a full stop or at low speeds. When accelerating from a stop to say make a left turn the transmission has a significant delay prior to engagement which puts the car and the driver (me) at risk of a collision. I have taken to avoiding passing or initiating a turn without significant clearance from traffic as I fear getting into an accident. The car dealership service team says they can't do anything and virtually every other owner of a Cherokee complains about the same issue. I know Jeep delayed the launch of the car due to the transmission issues and believe they knew and know there is an issue and subjecting drivers to avoidable risk and injury, or worse. The issue happens every time I drive the car, not just a single event.

- Denver, CO, USA

May 312015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at approximately 15 mph, the vehicle upshifted without being prompted and then returned to original shift without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was repaired under the manufacturer recall, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Carvillen, IL, USA

Sep 062014

Cherokee

5 recalls since I bought it brand new September 2014. When you step on the gas, car sometimes won't move then jerks into motion & other times it starts off in 3rd gear. Soon after purchase, noticed extreme condensation inside windows. Back right floor board was soaked with water? & condensation under the right front seat. Dealership can't figure it out. Most recently, radio display not working properly. Noticed getting shocked when opening the door. Rear hatch sometimes won't open the the power lift button is pushed

- Sutherlin, OR, USA