Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 14 of 28)

Jul 142014

Vehicle shifts from park into reverse without anyone touching the shift lever. Vehicle also changes gears occasionally when driving, e.g., shifts from reverse to drive when backing up, or reverse to neutral. Reported to dealer immediately in July 2014 (not aware of problem) and Chrysler on 9/29/14 and again 9/9/15. We are now vigilant when shifting gears and before initial acceleration. Once moving, the Jeep stays in the gear selected, e.g., hasn't shifted out of drive while driving down the road. The shift problem is a progression downward, I.e., park to reverse, reverse to neutral, reverse to drive. Unfortunately my wife had another and potentially serious incident this weekend when she parked on level ground, placed the Jeep in park, left the engine running, got out of the Jeep (briefly to check on something), then the vehicle shifted into reverse and started backwards. My wife had to run and jump into the moving Jeep to stop it. On this occasion, she wasn't even in the Jeep and there were no passengers, so no one touched the shift lever. There was a significant pause (I.e., time to get out of the Jeep and start to walk away) before the Jeep changed gears. On the occasions when the Jeep shifts from reverse to drive, we have been fortunate that no person or object was close to the front of the Jeep and the driver was alert and able to stop within the first few feet; we will not always be so lucky. Other manifestation of this shifting problem is when shifted to reverse, we watch the indicator say reverse then, after a noticeable pause with no one touching the gear lever, the Jeep will shift into neutral or continue into drive. Knowing that this is a problem, we watch the shift sequence closely and catch this "slipping out of gear selected" problem to avoid an accident. Is this a drive by wire electrical problem?

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Aug 152015

While leaving the neighborhood my wife's Jeep transmission failed. The entire dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and stated 'service transmission immediately'. she was driving at 30 mph and the transmission went into 'neutral' and she drifted off to the right turn lane. This is the second transmission that has failed in this SUV in 18 months of ownership. We don't feel that Jeep can adequately fix the transmission to a level where I would ever feel safe putting anyone in the SUV again.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jul 212014

My wife was driving on a highway at 60 mph when the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree stating 'service transmission immediately'. the transmission went into 'neutral' and she had to drift off to the side of the highway. She had to wait to be towed for over an hour while truck and cars raced paced at 60+ miles an hour.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Oct 012014

On numerous occasions when slowing down bu not a complete stop, Jeep does not downshift lower than 3rd gear unless. On several occasions Jeep inches forward at a slow rate and suddenly when accelerator is depressed further it shifts hard and accelerates rapidly. Safety is in jeopardy when pulling into traffic on right turns. Unless vehicle is at a complete stop it will not downshift lower than 3rd gear. This results in less power when pulling into traffic. Jeep has updated software 3 times. Condition has not changed.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

May 052014

When starting out from 1-2, and 2-3 gears, about 75% of the time one of two things happens.. 1, jerky and hard shifting or 2, does not get gas to the engine until I floor it then it jerks very hard. Every time I took it in, I asked them to look at it. They confirmed the problem but a transmission update did not fix the problem. Still happening at 11,000 miles. Jerks my neck, and worried about getting rear ended.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 022015

Transmission (automatic) failed at 3,500 miles. Car would no longer go into gear and engage in any gear (drive, reverse, etc).

- Cumming, GA, USA

Aug 252015

Episode one: While driving up hill at about 30 miles and hour car jerked into neutral, instrument cluster flashed engine light warning, transmission light warning, parking break warning, traction control warning and flashed "service transmission" and service parking brake". operator restarted car three times before transmission would engage. This cleared all warnings except "check engine" light. Car was driven to dealer where without documentation they stated that they flashed the transmission control module and then car was returned to owner. Second episode: On Sept 3, 2015 operator was driving about 55 miles per hour when suddenly with a jerk the car shifted into neutral and the car jerked into neutral, instrument cluster flashed engine light warning, transmission light warning, parking break warning, traction control warning and flashed "service transmission" and service parking brake".. operator was able to pull over to the side where he restarted the car about 4 times before transmission would engage. Then about 10 miles further on the road, coming up to a stop sign the same behavior reoccurred. Car was delivered to dealer on 9-03-2015 and their service report of 9-04-2015 indicates that they flashed tcm, BCM, ipc and R40 recall. Episode three: September 6 2015 operator was driving car up to stop sign car jerked into neutral, instrument cluster flashed engine light warning, transmission light warning, parking break warning, traction control warning and flashed "service transmission" and service parking brake". from that point to the dealer operator noted that the engine RPM maintained at about 3000rpm instead of fluctuating normally as with normal driving.

- Brownwood, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Started shifting rough check engine light would come on dealer flashed but light came on again would go off after three hard starts they keep saying it was a false reading and cleared code and said don't worry unless light flashes it's ok to drive have had it at shop atleast 5 times now at 10,000 miles after 10 months of this problem it started slipping engine would race etc it is in the shop now and they said they are going to replace transmission after I stared talking lemon law this has been going on since I bought this Jeep

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jul 022014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at various speeds and attempting to accelerate, the gears failed to engage and caused the vehicle to lunge forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was working up to specifications. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and sent out an engineer to inspect the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 300.

- Oregon, OH, USA

Aug 042014

The vehicle almost from the time of purchase exhibited transmission problems, when merging into traffic the car would lag and not engage. This was something that occurred at what appeared random times. It would jerk to the point that I thought I was rear ended. This persisted and I have taken the vehicle to two different dealerships and worked with three case managers at Jeep customer care and the issue was never resolved. This week the transmission completely went out. The car has not been safe for sometime due to situational circumstances. I have had nothing but trouble from the vehicle since purchase (new) and had had to take the vehicle in for repairs multiple times with no resolution made.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Aug 162015

Was driving home and check transmission and motor lights came on. We pulled over stopped car and turned on and could drive home. Next day with kids in heavy traffic, car just coasted and all lights went on, kids were scared and almost hit by a truck as we pulled over to curve. Restarted car and could drive home but the transmission was jerky. Next morning took to dealer and they found all the faults I reported. They said communication problem and cleaned all leads and said if happend again they would have to contact chrystler direct. Next morning, lights came back on check transmission and pulling out of my garage, almost slammed me into a wall changing gears. Dealer confirmed problem in transmission and ordered a new one under guarantee. I am without a car for at least 3 weeks and dealer said if I had gotten the extended guarantee would have gotten reinbursed for an auto rental after 5 business days of not having car. Really concerned about safety and everyone is fortunate no fatalities yet due to a defective 9 speed transmission design. My car was fine until they did a software update to deal with transmission complains. Really supprised usa government has not recalled the transmission or allow family car owners like myself who thought this Jeep was safe with good gas milage to exchange cars or sell back. Have to wait and see if new transmission works or simply replacing one poorly designed part with hanother. Actually liked the car, just now concerned with my family safety.

- Santurce, PR, USA

Aug 012014

Right after I purchased the vehicle brand new in August of 1914, the auto transmission jumped at 5 mph to 45 mph when shifting gears. I contacted Chrysler Jeep and the local Jeep dealer did one update on the transmission that did not solver the problem. I contacted Chrysler Jeep customer service and was told several times that they would send me another update for my vehicle in augusto of 2015 for my problem. It is now September 2, 2015 and no second transmission update has as yet arrived for my problem. The problem is still in the transmission and they have not fixed it yet. I now have other recall issues with the power liftgate but as yet no parts and the ro recall that I have not as yet had done. I want the second update for my auto transmission fixed.

- Midland, GA, USA

Jun 032015

I bought my 2014 Jeep Cherokee brand new off of the lot on 4/25/2015. With less than 200 miles on it I noticed that the transmission would hesitate from a stop, and seem almost like the transmission would have a "lag" when I accelerated going up a slight incline and be jerky when it shifted at times. It has been in the Jeep dealership 2 times for this and is scheduled to go again on 8/31/2015. This time it is lunging after backing out of garage and going into drive. It is scary when it finally grabs the gear it actually squeals the back tires. The 1st time on 6/3/15 the dealership performed a software update for PCM, & tcm. 2nd time 6/23/15 the dealer did a tcm software update 181905bk.3 02-19-05-95.4. this time I rode around with the mechanic to 1/2 hr after he did the update. Most of the time these issues happen at lower speeds, but now I have noticed it happening on the freeway too. I do not feel safe driving this car anymore.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Aug 122015

I have previously submitted a complaint but left out this incident. I was traveling on a highway at about 30 mph. The vehicle all of a sudden would not accelerate some icons appeared on the dash. I pulled over and waited a few minutes. I started the vehicle and resumed my travel. After starting and stopping a few times the icons disappeared.

- Manti, UT, USA

Apr 012015

I have had three recalls on this model. One for a transmission recalibration, one for a shock absorber, and one for an airbag. There is one outstanding for the liftgate but the parts are not available.---I stopped at a stop sign on April 1, 2015 and turned right. The vehicle wouldn't accelerate and several icons appeared on the dash. I turned the vehicle off and on several times and shifted it in and out of gear several times. It finally went into gear and moved forward but was locked into about fourth gear. I travelled 15 miles to the nearest chysler/Jeep dealership for service. The dealership recalibrated the transmission. On May 29 and May 30 the parking brake and engine icon appeared on the dash and when I shifted the vehicle into gear it would not go out of gear because the parking brake was on. I pressed and released the parking gear several times and then it would go into park and I could shut the engine off. This happened several times in my garage. I called Chrysler/Jeep on June 5th at about 40,000 miles and had the vehicle towed to the closest dealership (where I had taken it before). The dealership replaced the transmission module. Two different times since the module was replaced there have been icons appear on the dash. I turn the vehicle off and on and the icons eventually disappear. The transmission is slow to engage after backing up and sluggish to shift when slowing to a stop and then moving forward.

- Manti, UT, USA

Jul 072014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the shift lever failed to shift gears properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The technician was unable to remedy the failure after an unknown manufacturers recall repair was performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and they provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 400. MA 10/15/2015

- Brigham City , UT, USA

May 132015

The vehicle rolled backward into another vehicle after being put inot park.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 242015

August 24, 2015: This can be considered an update to report tracking # 10758562. We were taking our 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude to the a dealership for service, due to the events reported in #10758562. We were on I-95 when the engine light/service transmission message illuminated. Highway speed and performance were not affected, but when we left the highway and were in a stretch of road with traffic lights, acceleration was very sluggish, as in the prior incidents reported in #10758562. No gas had been added since Friday morning (8/21), and the Jeep was not driven on Saturday or Sunday. It had been driven 2-3 miles on local streets on the morning of 8/24, without incident. The 8/24 incident means that on the last 4 days the Jeep has been driven, there has been an incident each day, involving transmission freeze and/or loss of acceleration.

- Providence, RI, USA

Aug 132015

August 13, 2015: Stopped at traffic light, in construction zone. Light changed to green, bikers on side of road, so was going very slow. Engine light/service transmission message came on and transmission froze in second gear. Pulled over, turned off Jeep, restarted, continued trip with no further incidents. August 15, 2015: Slowed for construction on a 2-lane (paved) rural highway. Engine light came on, and Jeep had poor acceleration. Continued driving and gained speed. August 19, 2015: In a line of traffic on 2-lane rural (paved) highway. Speed about 45mph. Engine light/service transmission message came on. Transmission froze in gear, with very poor acceleration. Pulled over, turned of Jeep, restarted, finished remaining 25 miles to destination with no other incident. August 20, 2015: On highway12N to get onto New York state thruway. Speed 45-50mph. Engine light/service transmission message came on. Transmission froze in gear. Very poor acceleration. Pulled into thruway entry park & ride. Turned off Jeep, restarted, took Jeep to local dealership. They did software upgrades and road-tested the Jeep, between 8/20 and 8/21. They did not replace any parts. Dealership did 14-15 mile roadtest. We stayed with family overnight. I picked it up the morning of 8/21/2015. August 21, 2015: Stopped at cemetery on way back to family member's house. Maybe 6 miles between dealership and family member's house. Jeep idled for 2-3 minutes at one site, and 5-6 minutes at a second site. When I got back into Jeep at the second site, the engine light/service transmission message was on. Pulled out into roadway, and had very poor acceleration. Pulled back into cemetery, turned off the Jeep, restarted and drove to family member's house. We decided to try to take the nys thruway for the 250 mile trip back to our residence. No incidents along the way.

- Providence, RI, USA

Aug 132015

With our 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4cyl. We were close to a horrible collision. We were merging onto a major highway when the SUV lost power when accelerating and the transmission disengaged. We were nearly sideswiped by a semi!!!!! when giving the SUV gas, it downshifted to accelerate and then all of a sudden disengaged and the SUV felt like it halted forward slowing down to 15mph. It seemed as if the engine and transmission were not communicating correctly. If the gas pedal was softly pressed the SUV would accelerate, however, if the gas pedal was pressed down further, the transmission was just gone! this continued to happen until the car was power cycled off. This is a major safety concern. Brought it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. I am so scared to drive this SUV now. Please investigate and have a safety update soon!!!!

- South Bend, IN, USA