Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 20 of 28)

Mar 122015

Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep transmission is shifting out of gear, accelerating and driving up the rpms going downhill while I am trying to brake, jumping out of gear and speeding up, or revving up at random moments. This is causing very dangerous driving conditions as my vehicle takes off when it should be slowing down or speeds up for no reason and I have to slam the brakes to get the transmission to "reset". when its in these conditions it revs up the motor and often shifts very hard into the next gear. I did record this on video as its happening to demonstrate how difficult it is to drive the vehicle this way. Its two weeks before the car dealership can take my car and inspect it, so, I am driving around at risk.

- Radford, VA, USA

Mar 082015

Cherokee 6-cyl

Bought in August 2014; recently noticed a "chunky/jumpy" shift from reverse (out of driveway) into drive; and then when decelerating around a curve at 10-15 mph there was some similar jumpy downshifting in my 3.2L V6 24valve vvt 9-speed auto model; taken into dealership for "re-flash" of software.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 082015

Problem: Driving down I79 clunk sound "D" on shifter starts blinking service transmission message appears service parking brake appears mil check engine light comes on ESC indicator light comes on *pulled off to the side of the interstate turned car off, then back on repeated 4 times drove to a safe location called roadside assistance had car towed to dealership this is the second time this car has had a transmission failure on the interstate at 70 mph. I am now scared of this car. This is unacceptable and disappointing for a new $34,000 vehicle with 15,601 miles on it. First time this happened and was serious enough to complain about was Dec. 14, 2014.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Feb 152015

I was driving on the freeway when the car started decelerating rapidly, the "park" icon came on and the message center said "unable to shift gears while in park, check transmission" and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate. Thankfully, I was able to pull over to the shoulder but the car would not shift gears. I turned the car off and immediately turned it back on and the car was still unable to shift gears, I could feel the car trying to shift gears but couldn't. engine light and unable to shift gears/check transmission message still appearing. I turned off the car a second time and waited a minute or two and turned the car back on. At that point, I was able to shift gears and accelerate again, however, the "check engine" light would not go off.

- Clawson, MI, USA

Feb 062015

Cherokee 4-cyl

When shifting from park to reverse or drive, the vehicle will occasionally not shift into gear, even though the display and shift control indicates that the car is in reverse or drive. When this happens, when I release the brake and apply the gas, the car does not move. This happens about once every 10-15 times the car is shifted from park. The most serious incident happened when I was parked uphill. I shifted the car into drive, but when I pushed the accelerator pedal the car did not move forward but instead started rolling backward. I had to move the shifter into park, and again into drive before the gear would engage. Additionally, there have been times that the car will not accelerate after being stopped at an intersection. When I apply the gas, the car will hesitate for 1-2 seconds before engaging and moving forward. I am concerned that these issues will end up placing myself or my occupants in danger if an emergency situation arises while on the road, or if the transmission fails completely and I roll back into another car.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 262014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle on 2/11/2014 after retiring with the idea I wouldn't need repairs for several years the first problem was on 2/26/14 which was a leak @ canister they replaced evap canister. After that I have had it in several times for a vibration from the front from takeoff & turning beginning before the first oil (approximately 2000 miles)change they kept telling me they didn't feel it. On 6/25/14 they said it was coming from the ptu and replaced it, but it continued with the same problem. The next few times they continued to state that they didn't feel it, on 7/29/14 they stated that they were replacing both front axles per star when we picked it up it still had the shimmy, then on 8/15/14 I was pulling out onto a major highway from a county road & the vehicle would not move the vehicle would sit & rev while I was partially on the highway this time they found the right axle out of ptu too short & replaced again, since then every time I call or go in their I get the same run around their waiting for a fix from Chrysler. This has been going on for a year and I feel like the dealer ship is giving us no satisfaction this vehicle is a $35,000 car at the very least they need to resolve this problem or at least upgrade the vehicle. I now have 13,000 miles & feel I have been more than patient all I ever here from them at the dealership is their waiting on a fix from Chrysler a year should be long enough to come up with a fix.!!!!!!!!! I guess my next alternative is my husband has spoken to an attorney.

- Remington, IN, USA

Nov 112014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated as the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was no repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 5,400.

- Ward Cove, AK, USA

Jan 192015

Car began to loose power and started bucking was traveling at 70 mph...then it started thrashing numerous codes and all the lights on the dash started flashing this was followed by a big downshift and then a bang total loss of power on a major freeway. When the car came to a stop it would not disengage from drive then after turning the car off I was able to put it in park. After restarting it all the strong message lights were on as well as different computer messages like check brake, check engine. If you put it in gear it would make a big cluck but no power would only idle. When driving at highway speed the at car looses power and starts to buck and downshift to a lower gear then transmission disengages. Engine stay running but there is no power and nothing happens when you depress gas pedal. This is very dangerous as it happens consistently. Also the transmission many time keeps randomly switching between gears. Dealer again says its a software issue in the transmission. Software recodes have not fixed the problem.

Dec 032014

When driving at highway speed the at car looses power and starts to buck and downshift to a lower gear then transmission disengages. Engine stay running but there is no power and nothing happens when you depress gas pedal. This is very dangerous as it happens consistently. Also the transmission many time keeps randomly switching between gears. Dealer says its a software issue in the transmission. Software updates have not fixed the problem.

Nov 202014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration. Afterward, the vehicle would jerk while in motion. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the transmission software was updated; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 25,515.

Feb 242015

Cherokee 6-cyl

My vehicle stopped accelerating forcing me to pull to the side of the road. The service transmission light flashed on and I turned my vehicle off. When I started it back up it allowed me to drive but the "D" symbol flashed and it still stated that the service transmission was in use. When I stopped at red lights the message "shift into park and then into desired gear" appeared. This was the second time this occurred, the first time happening at the end of 2014. I took the vehicle into the dealership I bought it from and they fixed it, I will be doing this again this week. The dealership was al deeby in clarkston, mi.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Feb 052015

While driving the car and slowing down, the transmission dropped to a low gear and never recovered. Service transmission indicator came on as I limped home. Brought the car in and it was upgraded with new firmware. Took the car back and after a week had another occurrence. Was driving on the highway and again the service transmission light came on. This time the transmission was stuck in a high gear, and then I lost all gears and coasted. I was lucky to reach the highway shoulder, as tractor trailers flew by me. Turned the car on/off a couple of times (and went from park to drive) and suddenly the car jerked into gear (jumped forward violently). Got going and took it back to the dealer. In my opinion this is a real safety issue. My family is not willing to use the car, and at this point, I would not allow them to use it. I see many similar issues. Can't believe such poor quality is acceptable!

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Feb 072015

Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 65 mph, the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,736....updated 04/15/15 the transmission was replaced after four weeks. However, it is not working at 100%. the consumer was informed there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. Updated 04/16/15

- Wickliffe, OH, USA

Feb 102015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle continued to accelerate after the accelerator pedal was no longer engaged. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, after shifting into first and second gear, the vehicle jerked forward. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician informed the contact that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 12,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wood River Junction, RI, USA

Jan 262015

Cherokee 4-cyl

This car has been nothing but trouble since 1500 miles off the lot brand new Jeep. And then at 2800 and then at 3000 miles they replaced the power control module then two more times for software update. Then at 10250 they tell me the transmission has gone and needs to be replaced. As if anything else can go wrong with this car the tires they put on from the dealership Firestone my aft right tire split on the sidewall for no reason at all the only damage on the tire was the crack on the tire. So not only is the car defective but the wheels from Firestone as well. Has anyone else experienced my horrible luck.

- Quakertown , PA, USA

Aug 262014

Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I was backing my Jeep into my yard with a utility trailer attached. I heard a noise and I pushed the gear shift up into park and opened my door to step out of the vehicle and make sure I had not hit something. As I stepped out the vehicle started moving backwards and the driver door struck me knocking me to the ground on my back. The left front tire rolled over my pelvic area causing serious injury. Vehicle crashed into a fence and jack knifed the trailer. Complained to Chrysler and they had the vehicle inspected and I received a letter saying they could find no defect. Since then I have had another incident where when I shift from reverse to park it does not engage and slips back into reverse. Fortunately I am more careful and know to double check the shifting mechanism. Does not do it all of the time. May be related to towing. Others who have a late model Chrysler vehicle with this type of transmission and shifting mechanism need to be aware of this problem and need to be sure the vehicle goes into park when shifted and does not slip out once foot is off of the brake.

- Morganton, NC, USA

Feb 122015

Just entering the highway doing the speed limit of 70 mph with my newborn child all of a sudden my car suddenly stalled / shook/ and halted while trying to find a safe place to pull over on the higher way. The service transmission light came on. This is a huge safety concern that I had to somehow find a way to pull over on the side of a major highway with an infant in the car while my car was stalling out.

- Naples, FL, USA

Mar 082014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Chrysler's new 9 speed transmission started always speeding up when I would let off the gas and expect the vehicle to slow down, even when I just wanted to slow down while coming to a stop light or stop sign. When I hit the brake the vehicle would only then slow down. It scared me when the vehicle would accelerate on it's own. Shifting got very jerky and uneven seemed like could not decide which gear it should be in. While on the freeway in las vegas the message center said"service transmission and the engine light stayed on. When I was able to exit the freeway the transmission sounded like it had sand in it, a very loud grinding sound and there was no power to move the vehicle. I did get it to coast into a safe location to wait for the tow truck to come and get the vehicle. This was the second time this vehicle had a problem the first time was at 3,000 miles. Had the same message on the message center, again I coasted off the highway and came to a stop. At this time the transmission would not engage so the vehicle would not move. It was towed to a Jeep dealer where they said the computer needed an up date for the transmission, they did it and off we went not knowing that we would be left sitting on the side of the road a second time. I did not see a compliant for this type vehicle on your complaints box at this web-site but I have entered this compliant with you before.

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 192014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I took delivery of my new 2014 Jeep Cherokee on September 16, 2014. Right from the start I started having transmission issues. Chrysler Jeep said that they were going to open a "case file" on the car and to return the car to the service manager at the dealership. I took the car into the dealership, and explained what the representative had told me. The service manager said that there was no "case file" opened on my vehicle and that nobody from Chrysler Jeep had contacted them. A couple weeks later I received a call from Chrysler Jeep saying that the case file was "closed" because "I failed to take the car in to the dealership". last Tuesday (February 3rd) after a really bad snowstorm I was driving home when the person in the lane next to me began sliding into my lane. I began applying brake but it was obvious that I needed to apply power to get ahead of her. When I came off the brake and applied heavy power there was nothing there. The engine revved up but the car didn't go anywhere. Then the vehicle dropped into gear and lurched really bad, and the back end of the car started to spin around on me. All of the sudden the front tires started digging in and whipped me straight. I was totally out of control and it seemed like the transmission had a mind of its own. Luckily I didn't hit anything but did end up in a parking lot. After sitting for a second (and the person who almost struck me stopped to see if I was ok), I put the car back in gear and drove back out onto the street and immediately a "4-wheel drive not available" error message came on. This car is dangerous. Chrysler Jeep has shown only superficial interest in fixing the problem. It shouldn't be driven on snowy roads. I hope that someone with the authority to do something can address this major issue before people start getting killed. This is beyond a "lemon" issue. Updated 4/12/16

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Jan 272015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the service transmission warning light illuminated. The vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000. The VIN was not available.

- East Vale, CA, USA