CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 22 of 32)

Apr 062015

Cherokee

Received a recall notice from fca to take 2014 Jeep Cherokee in for a transmission recall update.told it would take 30 minutes. Took into martin swanty kingman, AZ Monday April 6 2015. Picked up Tuesday April 7th. Turned right back around April 7th because engine light appeared. They cleared the light right away April 7. left martin swanty, kingman transmission jumping unsafely. Took back to swanty kingman then swanty bullhead city calls me to tell me they have my car and they can't do the update. Will install a new transmission. Had to fight dealership for rental because they had my car until April 22nd. Picked up car. Still not running right. Almost in accident in parking lot and multiple intersections because car jumps in lower shifting. Took car back May 5 shop service mgr states they did not do the proper update on the new transmission need to do 21-007-15 manually not thru computer. Pick up completed car 5/6 still not running right. No return call from dealership in kingman when called 5/11/15. Called fca 1 800 # multiple times. Very consoling but not an effective resolution waiting for someone to call me back. Not driving this dangerous vehicle anymore. Dealership did not approve rental since first time had my car. Today car jumped on freeway when excelled to 70 mph. Instead of replacement done under recall placed it under warranty.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

May 112015

Cherokee

The transmission has been plagued with issues from the beginning. Rough shifts in the early gears, slow to downshift to provide any kind of acceleration when merging into traffic, extremely hard shifts after decelerating and then pressing the gas to start again before a complete start, and lurches forward with acceleration while decelerating - causing a huge safety issue in my opinion. The multiple software updates (including the most recent R01 recall) have improved these issues but they are far from what I consider acceptable in a vehicle. I am now the owner of a car that no one would ever purchase from me, so not only is it a safety issue but Jeep has caused me a huge financial problem by sticking me with this awful transmission that was no where near ready for the road. Jeep needs to be forced to address this issue now.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 012014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at 5 mph, the vehicle stalled. In addition, the vehicle jerked before accelerating. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Daisytown , PA, USA

Jan 292015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On or around January 29, 2015, when I went to start the vehicle it lunged forward even though the transmission was in park and the parking brake was set. The transmission was reflashed by the Jeep dealership on February 3, 2015. On the drive home from the dealership, the check engine light came on and began making a loud whine/chatter/chirping/metal sequel noise when accelerating. The vehicle was towed to another Jeep dealership where the transmission was replaced under warranty. Starting on or around March 12, 2015, the vehicle began making the whine/chatter/chirping/metal sequel noise again when accelerating. I reported the defect or condition on Wisconsin dot form MV2692 and made my vehicle available for repair 4 times (3/16/15, 3/18/15, 3/24/15, & 4/8/15). Fiat Chrysler automobiles (Jeep) and/or dealer is refusing, unwilling, or unable to repair the problem. Another problem related to the vehicles transmission occurred on April 30, 2015. I was at an intersection waiting to turn left. When pressed the accelerator to proceed through the intersection once the traffic cleared the vehicle hesitated to move and when the transmission finally connected it lunged causing the wheels spin. Since January 5, 2015, my vehicle has been out of service at the Jeep dealership for 46 days. The transmission problems along with the other 4 current defects or conditions were reported to Chrysler's enhanced customer satisfaction team over a month ago. According to the dealership, Chrysler has not replied with a resolution. Fiat Chrysler automobiles (Jeep) and/or dealer is refusing, unwilling, or unable to repair the problem.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

Apr 012015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Since the first day we owned this care the shifting seemed not quite right. There were several times the transmission revved before engaging when shifting from reverse to drive. Recently a recall was issued with regards to the transmission and the computer software. After getting the vehicle serviced for the recall, the shifting issues became worse and now pose a safety concern. During low speed driving on our inclined gravel driveway we experienced loss of power and rapid drop in rpms momentarily. Also while pulling out into highway and accelerating, the transmission failed to shift with the RPM's rose to 5000 which failed to allow us to get up to the speed of the adjacent traffic. We took the vehicle in again for service and we were told all parameters were within specifications and there was nothing more they could do at this time.

- Elizabeth, PA, USA

Jan 202015

Cherokee

In January I was traveling in the middle lane of a major highway when I attempted to accelerate in order to pass another car. Instead of accelerating, the Jeep acted as though it was in neutral. The RPM's went up but the car didn't move, forcing me to coast to the side of the road and shut the vehicle off. Then, in April, I was taking a left onto a very busy main road, with just enough time to get out in front of an 18-wheeler. When I put my foot on the gas to accelerate it did the same thing; acted as though it was in neutral and rolled into the middle of the road. The truck got close enough to slam on its brakes and honk, and the car roughly slammed into first gear just in time. When I tried to drive it into a parking lot it did the same thing, and I was forced to coast to the side of the road and call a tow truck.

- Raynham, MA, USA

Apr 242015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving up a hill and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle did not accelerate over 20 mph. While the brake pedal was depressed, the engine rpms increased. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed an upgrade. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Quakertown , PA, USA

Apr 062015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When accelerating, the vehicle stops accelerating and I lose speed before the transmission seems to "catch" again. The transmission also has a very hard start, it sounds like the transmission is going to fall out, when I come to a rolling stop and start again and the vehicle lunges forward. Also as I stop accelerating to slow down (without braking), the car will accelerate (slightly), the tachometer increases, then decreases. This is a terrible transmission, an accident waiting to happen.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Apr 042015

Cherokee

New software update was done to car per recall for "reliability". this recall changes the way the car shifts, such as remaining in 3rd gear, rather than downshifting to 1 or 2. a low speeds such as 15 mph when driving up a hill, the car will not down shift and slow down almost to a stop. Depressing accelerator does not lead to any further acceleration until approx 3/4 of the way down. At this time the car downshifts to 1st and accelerates rapidly, even breaking traction. Similarly when cruising at a steady speed such as 20 mph car remains in 3rd gear, causing engine lugging and very slow acceleration, once causing a near accident as the car did not accelerate as quickly as it did before this software update. Jeep dealer says "shifting as intended" and no errors. This behavior was not present before software update and did not change when dealer attempted reflash.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 012014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Transmission problems! car jerks and slams into gears, upshifts too soon, lunges forward after a stop (sure to cause an accident), upshifts too low causing slow/poor acceleration... terrible tranny, never had tranny problems like this with a new car. I've driven old work trucks with 200,000 miles that have shifted better than this. Like the car but absolutely hate to drive it and I won't let my wife drive it with these issues. Dealer service, software updates have not helped and a tech told me he just burned up a 9 speed tranny like this one on a new Chrysler 200 while doing the latest software update. So I am very weary of having any more 'flash' updates done. Help!

- Mason City, IA, USA

Mar 292015

Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee sport, car shut off while driving. Pulled over to side of road, attempt restart, car started on 2nd attempt. Transmission on vehicle, shifts poorly rpms, stick on acceleration and when attempting to merge into traffic, car downshifts. Could cause accident by someone running into car.

- Long Beach , CA, USA

Mar 212014

Cherokee

The transmission is not any good in the Jeep that I purchased. The Jeep is stalling and hesitating to change gears and it is an automatic. When I am proceeding to leave from a stop sign the Jeep will start to go and then it act as if it doesn't know which gear to change to. While driving, this Jeep will act as if it is changing gears.

- Millen, GA, USA

Mar 142015

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

Car jerks/lurches when shifting gears. When removing foot from gas, car will accelerate on its own to shift to next higher gear instead of downshifting to lower gear. Car placed in reverse, but actually in drive when gas pressed. Complete loss of transmission on two separate occasions at highway speeds whereby check engine and service transmission warning lights appear and car loses the ability to shift gears and driver cannot accelerate (gas pedal pressed to floor but transmission does not work or recognize gears). Multiple safety hazards on a recurring basis - risk my life every day that I continue to have to drive it.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Apr 162015

Cherokee 4-cyl

Short shift: Jeep Cherokee 9-speed automatic got second update for rough shifting and I still have the same problems with the transmission. It is getting worse.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 142014

Cherokee

On 09th July 2014, I bought a Jeep Cherokee 2014 at united cars­ al mana airport showroom qatar. Unfortunately, the product Jeep Cherokee is not usable according to the following: On Friday 14th November 2014 07:00 pm, the car completely shut down without any prior warning or alert messages, dashboard shows (smart key failure, steering columns is not locked as stated on the repair order), despite several attempts to contact mopar road assistance, but the number given was wrong. After many trails I delivered the vehicle to the services at 11:30 pm. Two days later I got a phone call from service consultant stating that the car is ready for pick up; repair report indicated that the battery was faulty and has been changed. On 29th November 2014, the car breakdown and every single warning message have been appeared on the dashboard, then, I delivered the car by breakdown on a trailer. The warning message was "transmission services?, the repair report stated that the dynamo has been changed only. On 7th December, 2014 exactly the same thing has happened with small change that time, the car delivered to me by extra error ?transmission performance failure?. recently the complications begun to increase rapidly, I delivered the car for the fourth time to services. ? on 31st January, 2015 I delivered the car to the services by transmission problem. " on 02nd February, 2015, I received same phone call, one day later the car completely stopped in the middle of the road. On 7th February, 2015, I met the service manager and he promised to solve the transmission issues as they received bulletin by the faulty part from Chrysler usa because it's a known problem. On 09th February, 2015, I received a call from their engineer asking me to go to dealers workshop because new software just received. The car was delivered on Saturday 14th February, 2015.

- Doha, DC, USA

Mar 272015

Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle suddendly stalls, check engine light came on and a message that says service transmission, press parking brake, when started the vehicle and put it in reverse a big noise was heard from under the car this happened 3 times. I dont feel safe taking my family in this car that can stall in the middle of a highway, and can cause a big accident.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Front end wobbles when taking off from a stop, when going from 1st to 2nd gear. Also feels like vehicle is losing traction and hesitates on acceleration from a stop. Jeep replaced the half-shafts and did software updates but problem continues.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Feb 112014

Cherokee

Grinding noise in front end, shifting hard with loud clunking noise, high pitch squeal when cold, engine miss when drive like a shutter, shift the car in drive - car went into drive but wouldn"T engage and dash was flashing like the computer didnt know what it was doing, exhaust sputtering noise.

- Armada, MI, USA

Mar 152014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The problem with choppy shifting was apparent as soon as I picked up the vehicle. Soon after leaving the dealership, multiple lights lit up and the shifting was abrupt and there was a fire smell. Upon returning to the dealership, I was informed that there was a software "glitch, " which they repaired. Since then, for one year, the car continues to have choppy and inconsistent shifting. It is a very temperamental and difficult vehicle to drive. The latest software patch, installed on 3/29/15 made shifting from start up to first/second gear worse. The car is being returned to the dealership on 4/13/15 for further investigation.

- Pelham, NY, USA

Mar 272015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Even after the required recall work and transmission software update, the Jeep is sometimes not responding to acceleration for a few seconds, and once it does, it violently jerks forward. My family was almost T-boned due to the lack of acceleration. This does not just occur at lower speeds, I have had it happen on the interstate and while traveling on 45mph roads. The transmission also fails to downshift when going up a hill. After the software update and when hen the car is in the first two gears and you turn the steering wheel, there is now a noticeable "grinding" coming from around the right front wheel. I have had the car in and out of the shop for a few transmission issues, even when it was a brand new car. I worry for ours and other's safety while driving this car and I shouldn't have to.

- Nashville, TN, USA