Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 28)

Mar 312014

Car was purchased brand new in March of 2014. Has consistently had issues with the transmission. Car shift hard (in the lower gears), transmission makes loud noises, and has repeatedly jerked forward when downshifting. There have been a few times where I nearly rear ended another vehicle due to this. Have had the car back to the dealer for all recalls and transmission software updates as required. I am currently at 75,000 miles and now the car is randomly stalling when slowing down or backing out of my driveway. I am going to be taking it to the dealership in two weeks when I am on vacation to see what the issue is. Very unsafe vehicle!

- Warren, OH, USA

Jul 162016

Transmission shifting very rough.when it changes gears it jumps, lurches abruptly while driving

- Ozone Park, NY, USA

Jan 192016

Major issues with the 9 speed transmission. Vehicle jumps, bangs and lurches forward when coming to a stop. It also lunges forward when lightly tapping the gas. Also experiencing issues with the lower gears (1-4). Extremely rough shifts between (1-4). I brought it in for service several times and as per the service director, "vehicle shifting as design intent". back in Jan 2016, I pull the Jeep out of the driveway and try to put it in drive and give it gas, it would not move. Seemed like it was in a higher gear (4 or 5) instead of 1st great. I turned the vehicle off, waited a few minutes and then back on. The check engine light was on and I was able to atleast drive it to pick up my kid at the bus stop but it was running extremely rough. I brought it in for service and they said it's not the trans but they did replace a camshaft sensor. Still experiencing issues with the shifts after replacing the sensor. Just this past week the vehicle stopped driving while my wife and 2 kids were driving on a major highway in NJ. The Jeep was still running, ac was on, all the lights lit up on the dashboard and the power steering also stopped working. Luckily, my wife was able to muscle the car onto the shoulder. We called service dept and they sent a tow truck. The driver goes to put it in reverse and it goes forward, not once but twice! this is an extremely dangerous vehicle! any help is greatly appreciated!

- Flanders, NJ, USA

Jul 182016

Since purchasing the car new, it sporadically hesitates when I step on the gas and sometimes it lurches forward. Twice I have almost been broadsided when pulling out onto a highway or changing lanes. I am afraid to drive the car in traffic because it is unpredictable and I came very close to being hit with my grandson in the car last month. Drivers think I deliberately slow down and they get angry with me. In my driveway, sometimes the engine just revs instead of moving the car like it is in neutral but I have it in drive. Other times I try to slowly pull up behind a car at a stop sign and the car will lurch forward. It is like the car shifts itself into neutral and it doesn't matter if I am sitting still in the driveway or going 70 mph on the highway. I have seen the tachometer rev up when this occurs. I am going to be hit one of these days if something isn't done. I asked the dealer if other Jeep are doing it and he said, "yes", but didn't offer any solution. There have already been three recalls on this model and year for compromised uconnect computer system, windshield wiper shorting problem and lift gate, but they are not life threatening like the current problem. Please help. This problem occurs at least once a month, but sometimes pattern or reason. It can be first thing in the morning when I pull out of the garage or on a long trip. Usually it doesn't last long, but long enough to leave me in the middle of the road or lane change with oncoming traffic. I am 67 years old so this is not good for my heart scares me to death. I don't want to drive it anymore, but I can't afford to get a new car and it's the only transportation I have. The odometer just turned over 21,000 miles.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Jul 182016

My Jeep has been in the shop twice in 2 weeks for transmission issues, hard shifts lunging, lost power ect...they retrained my transmission the first time & replaced the valve body the 2nd time. Yet it is still not working right.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 252016

Lights started flashing on dash including transmission needs service. Then car just lost power while driving. Very dangerous as I had to coast across 3 lanes of heavy traffic. Luckily other drivers were paying attention and braked for me or it would have been a bad rear end collision. The car told me to restart it. That allowed me to drive it home with service transmission light on. Made service appointment immediately. When I went to take it service a week later, the car had reset itself!!! dealership was able to recall the failure codes

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 292016

When I got off work one morning, about to get on interstate but Jeep was acting funny, all the warning lights came on, so I decided to stay on service road, came to a light and stopped, mind you all the lights were blinking and then my wipers started going off, the Jeep wouldn't go then it died. I tried three times to push the start button but the Jeep didnt start until finally the 3rd time, it didn't drive well, spudders until I pulled over into a parking lot, the car warning lights were on and flashing wipers going without being on. I turned the car off and waited for about 15 minutes and it came back on still had warning lights on but not flashing and the car drove fine all the way to the dealership. This happened about 5 weeks ago they found nothing wrong. About two weeks I was backing up, then put in drive and the Jeep continue to back up, had to put in park then in drive to go forward this happen three times on that day, then on same day was driving on the interstate and going about 73 mph it was driving rough, the rpms stayed on 4 and never did idal down. Took to dealership again, nothing wrong. Then on Friday 7/29/16 same thing with all the lights and wipers going off, back to dealership, as of yesterday Tuesday still nothing wrong. I brought with 176 miles on it, never got the extra warrenty or service warrenty sorry don't the money for that, I had to pay for my own rent a car, dealership won't pay for it. I have 57000 miles on my car in two years, all hwy miles I work far from home. I want to trade but will be upside down very bad. I don't feel safe in this Jeep and will never buy another one ever, ever, ever... Jeep dealership doesn't give a rat's ass either. Not a happy camper.

- Bells, TX, USA

May 122014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle randomly stalled more than five times and was towed to the dealer each time for diagnostic testing and repair. The dealer replaced the transmission and various sensors, but the failure continued to randomly progress. The dealer was unable to provide a repair solution. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and was unable to provide a repair remedy to the dealer. The failure mileage was not available.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jul 282016

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 30 mph, the transmission jerked forward when the contact's foot released the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer at least ten times and they are not able to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,800.

- Milwakee, WI, USA

Jul 292016

While driving service transmission display came on. Soon after lost acceleration to car unable to drive

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Jul 072016

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. 3 recalls (shifting, wipers and lift gate) still waiting on the parts for the lift gate. Massive shifting issues. Low speeds transmission slams into the lower gear and hesitates to shift in a higher gear. Sitting in a line the car will jump forward even with foot on the brake. Driving approx. 60 mph on interstate rounded a curve, the transmission did a weird noise and the whole car shifted to the right, the car slammed into the lower gear, almost loosing control. If you do not come to a full stop before trying to accelerate, there is a 2 to 5 second hesitation before it will downshift and go forward. I have almost gotten into several accidents because of this. Driving down a street at approx. 25 miles per hour the car accelerated then downshifted almost immediately causing a whip lash effect. I have had it looked at the dealer every time I have taken for a oil change and they say Jeep knows it a problem but don't know how to fix it. They do updates on the system but nothing has helped. This last time made it worse. How long does Jeep have to "know" a problem exists before they fix it or buy them back" does someone have to die" it has been very close several times. There have been so many incidences its hard to pick just one. This has been a constant problem since the first "update" about 6 months after I bought the vehicle. I have a special needs child, I don't have the money to try to trade this car off as upside down as I am...I need some help.

- Plattsmouth, NE, USA

Jul 252016

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I have received 2 safety recalls R40/NHTSA 15V-461 S 27/ NHTSA 16V-240 I have taken the vehicle twice to the dealer for the bucking in the transmission. I attempted to bring in the vehicle early August appt. Today is 7/25, I was told by the dealership there was time for an oil change, however I need to wait till 8/29 to address the recalls. The recalls sound urgent and I drive everyday. The dealership is making me wait over 1 month. Please help dealer is hudson Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram 625 route 440 jersey city, NJ 07304 thank you

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jul 152016

Was driving on highway, when the "service transmission" warning came on. Car would not accelerate. Was able to pull over. Turned car off, sat for a few minutes, restarted car, "service transmission" light was off, but service engine light was on and remained on. Was able to drive car. This happened several more times, I have taken it to the dealer. Waiting to hear back what the problem is.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Aug 182014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the transmission failed to shift properly and there was constant unintended acceleration when the gears changed. While changing gears to pull into the driveway, the vehicle surged forward into the garage without warning. The contact applied the brake pedal with force when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than five times, but they were unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued at random. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Richland, WA, USA

Sep 012015

The transmission in the 2014 and 2015 Jeep was the first to use 9-speed. It creates a rough change in gears, often times stalling while trying to accelerate (incredibly dangerous), and creating a bumpy ride. The software "fix" recommended by Jeep does nothing to fix the issue.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 202016

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the transmission service warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the instrument panel suggested restarting the vehicle. The vehicle was restarted and functioned normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 09/27/16

- Suisun City, CA, USA

Jul 082016

The transmission/gear box has been consistently terrible and has only worsened with time. I have had the vehicle for 2 years, and the transmission just bangs around. Many times, I am on the gas and tap the breaks to re-accelerate to have the transmission spin, then engage and bang the car forward. I imagine the transmission has only a year or two left before it will need to be replaced.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Feb 012014

The transmission has had issues since I got the car, the dealer has done several software updates but none completely solve the issue. The car feels like it wobbles when it accelerates from a stop and they cannot seem to fix this problem or admit that there is one. Also, when you turn the steering wheel it makes a grinding or whining noise and I have brought it back twice for this. They just grease the system and it stays quiet for maybe 10 miles. I'm concerned that this could lead to a much bigger issue in terms of safety if it loses steering to some degree.

- Township Of Washington, NJ, USA

May 162016

2014 Jeep Cherokee shifts rough in lower gears, shifts into neutral when driving on highway or coming down hills, and does not accelerate at all when stepping on gas and moving out into traffic, and transmission slipping. When taken to dealership at least 2 times, I reported the vehicle was unsafe. Dealership (atlantic Chrysler Jeep) reported on service receipt, "unable to duplicate concern on road test".

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Oct 302014

Since getting this vehicle in Oct. 2014 we have had nothing but problems with it. The car switches gears when it shouldn't and lunges forward. Also when you slow down to stop the car lurches and shakes before coming to a complete stop. Sometimes you can feel the pedal pumping under your foot when you are moving slowly in traffic. Whenever you are going up any type of hill the engine sounds like it is going to explode. We have taken it to the dealership where we purchased it numerous times and continue to just be told that it is a known issue with 2014 Jeep Cherokee's. there is also a clicking noise by the tires whenever your make a turn. We also took it to the dealership for this and they claim they didn't notice anything. It sounds like the wheel is going to fall off! we should not have these problems with a car that has less than 20,000 miles on it! I cannot wait to get rid of this Jeep. I've had older cars in the past and had not nearly the amount of problems as I have had with this Jeep. It doesn't feel safe to drive. Jeep is well aware of this issue yet they continue to do nothing about it.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA