CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

May 012014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When starting from a cold start the engine and/or transmission jerks multiple times for the first minute during driving. After the first stop, the car settles down and does not seem to do it again.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Aug 222014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving with my two young children through town. We were turning left on a busy city street when my vehicle would not accelerate and was only able to creep through the intersection at less than 5 mph. We were nearly T-boned on the side where my 4 yr old child was seated. The service transmission message light came on and car became inoperable! it had to be towed to the dealership. Dealership had to completely replace transmission. They outright lied and denied any knowledge of transmission issues with this vehicle. In conjunction, they could and did not answer any questions regarding the new transmission and if it was any different than the one that failed. To top it off my car was returned to me with several new scratches, an extra part left under the hood, and a broken hood latch. I drove the vehicle home on a highway in this condition and thank goodness the hood did not fly open. This issue with the transmission is deadly! someone will be seriously hurt or killed because of this defect! please do not purchase this car.

- Windsor, CO, USA

Aug 192014

Cherokee 6-cyl

When you step on the accelerator from 0mph the car stutters and shakes for a few mph until you get to about 15-20mph and then it drives like normal.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Feb 202014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Front end axle boot leak and subsequent shake/vibration in front end on acceleration and right turns mostly. Went into "limp mode" upon driving during low speeds on more than one occasion with check engine and service transmission lights coming on. No good computer history stored in engine computer to determine problem even happened. Shake has continued even with replacement of both front axles. Limp mode and warning lights haven't happened since transmission wiring harness and transmission computer were replaced. Has been serviced by two local dealerships for over a month and have had customer service contact with Chrysler/Jeep customer service about issues since transmission problems. Engaged in lemon law action because purchase dealer has stated on more than one occasion that the shake is a characteristic of the 2014 model of Jeep Cherokee, "all of them have it on their lot" so there is nothing to fix. I just don't want this to be a larger issue with more vehicles involved so I am reporting my problems.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Aug 232014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Vehicle was having severe issues shifting gears. Transmission warning light came on, less than a mile later the malfunction indicator light came on. Vehicle then lost 4WD capability. Vehicle seemed to stall out and max out at 20 mph. Car stopped a few blocks from my house while in a turning lane. Turned the car off and turned it back on, was able to barely make it home. Luckily, it was late night and no traffic. Could've cause a big accident. The vehicle sits here at the house right now because it will not run. Calling the dealership when they open tomorrow to try and find a resolution.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 172014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I went to shift vehicle into drive, vehicle would not shift into any gear. Turned the vehicle on and off three times, on the third attempt I managed to get in to shift into drive. Vehicles transmission service and check engine lights came on stating "service transmission start from park with vehicle at zero speed." When I had shifted through to drive to move the vehicle the transmission made a clunking sound like it had fallen out of the Jeep. I drove it 3 miles to my house only going 30 mph. When I got home I attempted to put the vehicle into park and the transmission would not move past neutral. I attempted to remove key 4-5 times and because of this the dash lights had stayed on. I disconnected the battery and had the vehicle towed to the dealership the next day.

- Glenville, NY, USA

Jul 112014

Cherokee 4-cyl

While slowing/breaking/decelerating from any speed that has cause vehicle to be in gear 5+, around 35-25mph, transmission will downshift from 5-4 and vehicle will surge. Vehicle will not decelerate, transmission remains in gear 4 and RPM remains 2K. Excessive pressure is required on brake to slow vehicle. If break is not applied, vehicle will not slow down and will maintain 25mph for extended period of time. Measured distance I obtained was 0.4 mile before engine RPM began to decrease below 2K and vehicle began to slow without brake pressure.

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Aug 092014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I am a nurse and travel for a living. On my way home from assignment in wv. Just outside a bowling green on I65. My car jerked then lost all power. Engine light, service transmission light and battery lights all came on. I was going 70 miles an hour. I had no acceleration. I coasted to the shoulder, across 3 lanes of interstate. I attempted Jeep emergency number but got the unable to connect voice mail, after 5 minutes my car restarted. I remained on right side of road. 65 miles later and 15 miles from nashville the car jerked and I lost the ability to accelerate once again. I pulled over and the car restarted. I am now in a hotel for the third night and unable to get home. I took my car to Jeep this morning to be serviced. I was told a computer malfunction caused the problem. The dealer did not offer to pay for rental car, hotel ect. The new part is supposed to be here Tuesday. No I was not killed or involved in a crash however, I can think of several scenarios where I easily could have been in a horrible crash. What if the new module is also bad I asked. It's like my new laptop I was told. Sometimes they just break.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Apr 012014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the gear indicator on the gear box began to blink and the service engine indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle stalled while making a left turn at an unknown speed, but was able to be restarted. The dealer stated that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. While driving 70 mph, the speed reduced on its own and the vehicle stalled again. The vehicle was able to be restarted and was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V293000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Waukegen, IL, USA

Nov 282013

Cherokee 4-cyl

The 9-spd automatic will rev high in first gear until the vehicle is steady at 10 mph and slam hard into second gear. Shifting from second gear to third is rough as well. Happens every day upon engine start. When the car has been warmed up from driving for approximately 15 minutes it goes away, but begins again upon being shut off and cooled down. This rough shifting is potentially damaging/destroying the automatic transmission and causes the driver/passengers to "jerk around" in their seats.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 112014

Faulty transmission.

- Islip, NY, USA

Feb 202014

Cherokee 4-cyl

After 2 days owning this vehicle the transmission began to have issues shifting from park to drive and reverse. I also got "service transmission" warning lights and "service parking brake" warning lights. The vehicle went in for service and was in the shop for 3 days. 2 months later I had the same issue and the vehicle went in for service for 4 days. 2 months later the vehicle went in for service for the same thing for 8 days. Currently the vehicle has been in for service a 4th time for the same thing for 3 days so far. Problems range from hesitation and/or jumping into gear from park to drive or reverse, rough shifting at all speeds and parking brake intermittently engaging when placing the vehicle in reverse from park.

- New Market, MD, USA

Jun 162014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Subject: 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited, V-6 engine/9 speed transmission, purchased 2/25/14. Current mileage: 3940 miles. This subject automobile is experiencing problems that appear to be associated with the transmission and throttle control. The problems are described as: 1.a subtle chatter in the transmission when accelerating similar to clutch chatter. This occurs in lower gears. This behavior is worse when turning hard left/right when transmission is under an acceleration load. 2.the transmission shifting (up and down shift) can be delayed and very abrupt. In going up a hill, the throttle response is delayed with a following abrupt, head jerking downshift. Similar abrupt shifts when upshifting 3.throttle response can be abrupt (surges forward) at light throttle application. This in itself is a safety issue when behind a car at a stop. As the cars in front move forward, a slight throttle response causes the car to lurch forward and accelerate faster than the car in front. This happened to me several times. Fortunately, I was far enough behind to not hit the car in front. This issue was brought to the attention of the dealer 6/26/14. Dealer stated "could not duplicate concern." This complaint is consistent with other complaints for this issue and automobile. Judging by the number of similar complaints, it is strongly suggested that NHTSA look into this matter before there are accidents and/or injuries.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 282014

Cherokee 6-cyl

The first issue arose as the vehicle was being backed out of a driveway. While still in motion, the vehicle produced an audible and visual collision alert with no obstructions present. The vehicle stopped suddenly, partially in the roadway, shifted to neutral and shut the motor off. It was necessary to cycle the vehicle through stop-accessory-run and back to accessory before the vehicle could be placed in park. Once in park, the information center (evic) read "battery voltage low". after returning to the stop position the vehicle was restarted and the malfunction indicator (mil) remained illuminated. Scrolling to the battery status on the evic showed a reading of 13.9V, within a normal range. The vehicle was placed in drive and operated properly, except for the mil for 24-hours with multiple starts and stops. The following day, upon starting the vehicle, again an audible and visual alarm sounded and the vehicle shut down completely, with the evic reading 4-wheel drive unavailable. It then changed to adaptive cruise unavailable, then forward collision warning unavailable. An indicator light with an exclamation mark stated that service was required. Again, the vehicle was cycled through the stop-accessory-run sequence without the break depressed to re-set the electrical sequencing. The vehicle was restarted and only the mil remained illuminated. The vehicle was then able to be put in gear and returned to service. Both occurrences took in excess of one minute to return the vehicle to operational, and had they happened in an active traffic area, would have left the vehicle a sitting duck for oncoming vehicles. The dealership has been notified and an appointment scheduled to address the issues. No repairs completed to date; owner advised that the vehicle is still able to be driven, but to keep the phone number to roadside assistance handy.

- Frenchville, ME, USA

Jun 202014

Cherokee 6-cyl

When quickly accelerating from a complete stop (such as pressing the gas pedal all the way down), my 2014 Jeep Cherokee(3.2L w/ active drive I) significantly shakes from left-to-right similar to where a wheel would be out of balance. This seems to affect performance as well, where the vehicle lags to pick up speed right away, which is concerning when needing to quickly cross expressway intersections.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Jun 122014

Cherokee

At 30-40mph with 2rmp my I would hear a very loud whistling noise. One day later my car would start kicking back when on the go. Two days later, my Jeep Cherokee would not move at all. I could not put it in drive, park or any other gear. The check engine light came on. Few seconds later the on information board said, "transmission problem." I had to call a tow truck to take it back to the dealership.

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 122014

Cherokee

Check engine light came on and vehicle was running rough. Problem went away but light remained on. Called dealer and we agreed to drive it to see if it acted up again. Light went out two days later. At 734 miles I was turning a corner and vehicle acted like it wanted to stall. Later that day turned another corner and vehicle stalled. I was able to get it off the side of the road. Took about 5 minutes to get it restarted. Took to dealer and they found the engine three quarts low on oil. Flushed engine and changed oil and filter. At 1522 miles vehicle stalled after turning corner in rush hour traffic. Had to push vehicle off of bridge and out of traffic. Got it started and took straight to dealer. Engine was three quarts low on oil again. Engine is currently being replaced under warranty. If vehicle stalls on highway or in heavy traffic somebody could be injured or worse. I understand about bad parts being a certified technician. But if this is a common problem it needs to be addressed.

- Tiffin, OH, USA

May 082014

Cherokee 6-cyl

5/8/14 - transmission stopped working while driving to work. Error messages appeared on the dashboard as the accelerator lost all power causing me to force the vehicle off the road. Multiple more error messages appeared to service the transmission. Rpms had been running high for a few weeks. Gears were not shifting properly. Vehicle taken to dealership. It was kept for over 2 weeks for repairs. I was told everything was fixed. 6/9/14 - same exact scenario occurred again. This time, the car brought itself to a halt. I was able to get off the road in time. When trying to shift from park to drive you could feel the car shutter. Rpms remained extremely high. Car was taken back to the dealership for additional inspection repairs. No updates.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 302014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Was driving on a 2 lane highway and the Jeep lost power, I pulled over to the shoulder and when I reached a complete stop the Jeep shutoff. I could not get it the restart. After waiting 10 minutes I finally got the Jeep restarted. When it started it released a huge cloud of white smoke from the exhaust pipes. This is the 4th time this has happened.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Apr 032014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I was traveling on 295N in left lane just passing mall traffic when all of my warning gauges started to go off, over heat, oil, check engine and others. There was a loud explosion that sounded like a shot gun in a barrel, the car was all the way to hot. It died and I was able to direct it over to the left lane and to the shoulder of the highway. It was only 2 and 1/2 months old with 2400 miles on it. I called for a tow to dealer ship. State police arrived on scene for safety.

- Smithfield, RI, USA