CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jan 012016

Cherokee

My vehicle has had hard shifting ever since I purchased it brand new in 2014. There's a slight delay when accelerating which makes it very dangerous to turn into oncoming traffic. In January of 2016, my vehicle actually stopped on me while making a right hand turn when taking my kids to school. Luckily the vehicle stopped in the school zone so the oncoming traffic was approaching at a slow speed. It took me four attempts to get the vehicle started again. The service transmission light came on the dash. It had to be towed to the dealership three times in January because it would not start, or if it did, once I started driving the on dash screen would say "shift to drive" and then the "service transmission" light would come on. The vehicle stopped while in motion so I had to pull over and wait before starting the vehicle up again. I was told by the dealership that my vehicle needed a transmission update and a new battery. It was explained to me that a bad battery will cost this specific vehicle to have transmission issues. But after the update and the new battery, the hard shifting and the delay when accelerating remained. My vehicle is not safe to drive with my three kids in the car; the hard shifting makes it feel like we will get whiplash and the delayed acceleration makes it feel like the vehicle will can stop at anytime while in motion. I don't think the transmission update that the dealership does is a solution to this ongoing problem because it hasn't corrected the issue on my vehicle.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Cherokee

Hard shifts, odd shift points, hesitates and lurches into gear

- So St Paul, MN, USA

Nov 162016

Cherokee

For the 3rd time - check engine light, check gas cap light come on, odometer starts flashing and vehicle loses all acceleration after those lights come up. You can floor the gas pedal and the vehicle will barely get to 40 mph. Last time it was brought to the dealership they performed flashes (3 weeks ago) and the issue went away. Happened again today while pulling out of a busy shopping center and the car lost the ability to accelerate and had to limp it home to be towed to the dealership. The dealership advises they are unaware of any issues like this however there are multiple reports of this make\model\year having this exact same issue. The first time it happened I was doing 80 mph on the interstate and the car immediately dropped to 40 mph nearly causing a collision.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Mar 022016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. In addition, whenever the heating or air conditioning units were activated, a mold odor emitted from the air vents. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but the cause of the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The dealer speculated that the software needed to be reset. The vehicle was repaired. After the repair, while driving down an incline at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle hesitated to move forward. The rpms increased. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the software was reset. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Nov 092016

Cherokee

When slowing for a stop sign the car stalled once 5 days ago but restarted after shutting down and it was fine. Then yesterday morning it stalled 3X before leaving my development. I drove to have the battery checked locally and it was ok. I drove to the dealership who told me the problem was because the oil was low, that these cars burn a quart of synthetic oil every 2000 miles and "when the oil runs low they shut off to protect the car." What?? and how dangerous. I questioned a recall recently received about Jeep stalling while driving and was told it wasn't related. I'm really just in awe and disbelief that this could be a feature that the manufacturer planned for!

- Miller Place, NY, USA

Nov 192015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle did not restart the last occasion. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The failure mileage was approximately 17,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Aug 222016

Cherokee

Safety recall listed below. Notified 2 months ago. This can cause a crash without warning! I am not comfortable driving a vehicle that could cause serious bodily injury/death to myself or anyone else. VIN: 1C4pjldb3ew212727 year: 2014 make: Jeep model: Cherokee limited fwd number of open recalls: 1 NHTSA recall number: Opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 16V529 recall date: August 22, 2016 manufacturer recall number: S55 summary: The transaxle wire harness on your vehicle may have been built with insufficient wire terminal crimp(s). This may cause an intermittent high electrical resistance in the transaxle wire harness circuit(s). A high resistance circuit(s) in this wiring harness will cause the on-board diagnostic system to set a diagnostic trouble code (dtc). When the dtc is set, the system defaults the transaxle to neutral and the customer experiences a loss of motive power. Safety risk: The loss of motive power could cause a crash without warning. Remedy: The transmission control module (tcm) must be reprogramed with new software. The new software strategy will eliminate the transaxle shift-to-neutral condition for this issue, place the transaxle in a fixed gear limp mode and illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (mil) if a high resistance circuit is detected in the transaxle wire harness. Recall status: Recall incomplete. Remedy not yet available

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 242016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. While attempting to stop the vehicle, the engine and brakes failed, causing the contact to rear end another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed. The contact received chest and hand injuries, which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle would be investigated. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Oct 102016

Cherokee

Takata recall car bucking when shifting into gear. Also there was a knocking noise when driving at different speeds and when turning the wheel or going over bumps. It got so bad that it sounded like my tire was going to fall off or the underneath of my car. Also my car was shaking when it would hit a bump. There was also a whining noise that would occur when I turned my wheel either way. This problem has been occuring for almost two years now, everytime I brought it back to the dealer they stated that my "car was fine" was not until I brought it to another machinic that they told me it was my front passenger wheel ball joint. This would occur while the car was on the highway or side roads, as long as the car was in motion. Also my car would have problems when shifting. The car bucked on my on the highway when I was going 65 the car lights started flashing and I got warning lights stating to put car into desired gear, check oil and transmission. I pulled into the break down lane and put the car in park. Turned the car on and off & the same thing happened.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Oct 242016

Cherokee

Vehicle will stall and cut off while driving

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Oct 102016

Cherokee

While driving the vehicle, all of a sudden there was a shutdown of the vehicle's computer/electrical system, a loss of any steering control, an immediate vehicle deceleration with no ability to correct by accelerating, and a loss of braking control.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Oct 082016

Cherokee

Car randomly stops moving while driving, sometimes while turning a corner. Seems like it turns itself off, but lights on dash are still on. I'm not really sure what causes it and am hoping that it will be resolved once they have a solution to the current recall for the transaxle wire harness. Have brought it to dealer a few times and they keep telling us it has to do with the 20% oil life. I don't see how that would make a car turn off. And why would they make a car that needs to have the oil changed before the oil life is up or at all.

- Center Moriches, NY, USA

Sep 302016

Cherokee

After purchasing the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude, I noticed that it had a rough time shifting. The transmission would shift violently from 2nd to 3rd gear and anytime you would stop on an incline. We have had all the necessary recalls done to the vehicle but it has continued to have the same problem. When communicating this issue to the dealership all I get is that we are not used to the 9 gear transmission and we need to get used to it. I will be taking it in for the fourth time to see if they can fix it. On a second note I have also had the vehicle taken in to the shop to see why the vehicle suddenly shuts off. This has also happened to us on several occasions, but when I take it to the dealership they tell me there is nothing wrong. This is a huge safety issue and concerns me. This would be a disaster if it happens to die when I am on the highway. I am very disappointed with this vehicle and more so with the way I am treated when I take it to the dealership. There is something seriously wrong with this vehicle and it needs to be addressed before people get injured.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 122016

Cherokee

Loss of motor power causing error codes and the shut down of vehicle. Vehicle sometimes restarts but often does not. This occurs while vehicle is in motion. Vehicle has been brought back to dealer 4 different times since April 1016 and still not being fixed. I received a recall notice and dealer stated parts currently not available anywhere to repair issue.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Jul 032016

Cherokee

Vehicle has cut off while driving, unexpectedly on 6 occasions. The vehicle loses power, steering becomes stuff, and the driver dash shows a message to shift to neutral while actively in drive. After several attempts at a restart, the vehicle eventually resumes normal driving. This has occurred in my personal vehicle, as well as a rental vehicle.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Feb 062016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 50 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but failed to respond. The service transmission warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and the valve body and parking brake needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred two additional times. On another occasion, the headlights became inoperable and the "head lamp out" warning message illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the body control module and head lamps needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. While driving 15 mph, the automatic power locks failed to operate without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repair; however, the specifics of the repair were unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 26,000...updated 10/13/16

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 012014

Cherokee

The transmission on this vehicle makes it very dangerous!! surging, hesitation, speeding up, hard shifts continually. The transmission was replaced and it was serviced many times with no improvements. When you try to pull out onto a road, it will hard shift into gear after hesitation, it does the same when backing up. It causes a very dangerous situation and I have almost been hit by another vehicle many times due to the transmission issues. The headlights on this vehicle are dangerous, they follow a severe straight line and when going up and down hills it causes you to lose vision of the road in front of you.

- Allison Park, PA, USA

Sep 022016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but the issue recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was not available.

- Paoli, OK, USA

Sep 122016

Cherokee

September 12 2016 460 county route 7 pine plains NY 12567 518-398-0366- home 914-489-9033- cell 914-393-8749 (husband's cell) re: S55/NHTSA 16V-529 VIN: Last 8- EW212459 I received in the mail a recall on my Jeep Cherokee for transaxle wire harness. I called village Dodge, duchess Dodge and they have not received the parts to fix the recall. It is very disturbing to think I might crash out to loss of motive power. Why do the dealerships not have parts yet? after speaking with your fca recall assistance center 1 800 853 1404 angel would only give me her name would not tell me an operator number what state she was in or any information that I contacted the center. I asked for a supervisor and placed on hold. I am requesting a loaning car. Finally angel came back on the phone when I asked again for what state she was in angel stated farmington hills Michigan. Angel told me that I have 24 to 48 hours for a call back from the supervisor. Loaner car will also take 24 to 48 hour for someone call me back and I am being placed on special tracking list. This is unacceptable to be expected to drive a vehicle that could crash and possibly kill me or some innocent drivers. I expect something would be done immediately.

- Pine Plains, NY, USA

Jul 042016

Cherokee

My car stalls randomly (approximately every 1000 miles) while I'm driving (in motion). There is no warning. This last time the car stopped when I was traveling 70 miles per hour on hwy 5 - just died right in the lane!! it has also stalled at busy intersections, on onramps, huge hills etc. I finally - after 10 visits to the Jeep repair shop - understand from the dealership that the car needs a new engine to fix the problem. But they say this is acceptable under Jeep guidelines and won't pay for the new engine... I've put over 20 quarts of expensive synthetic oil in my car over the past year and never know if the car will be safe to drive. This is the worst car I've ever had and I'm disgusted with Jeep. By the way - I just found out it needs a fifth recall - part still in development (as always). When I asked the woman who told me of this new development, she couldn't explain what the risk is while we wait for the new part. In 2 1/2 years of owning this piece of crap car, I've had five recalls and over a dozen stalls... I'm so angry and bummed.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA