CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 012016

Cherokee

My vehicle has had hard shifting ever since I purchased it brand new in 2014. There's a slight delay when accelerating which makes it very dangerous to turn into oncoming traffic. In January of 2016, my vehicle actually stopped on me while making a right hand turn when taking my kids to school. Luckily the vehicle stopped in the school zone so the oncoming traffic was approaching at a slow speed. It took me four attempts to get the vehicle started again. The service transmission light came on the dash. It had to be towed to the dealership three times in January because it would not start, or if it did, once I started driving the on dash screen would say "shift to drive" and then the "service transmission" light would come on. The vehicle stopped while in motion so I had to pull over and wait before starting the vehicle up again. I was told by the dealership that my vehicle needed a transmission update and a new battery. It was explained to me that a bad battery will cost this specific vehicle to have transmission issues. But after the update and the new battery, the hard shifting and the delay when accelerating remained. My vehicle is not safe to drive with my three kids in the car; the hard shifting makes it feel like we will get whiplash and the delayed acceleration makes it feel like the vehicle will can stop at anytime while in motion. I don't think the transmission update that the dealership does is a solution to this ongoing problem because it hasn't corrected the issue on my vehicle.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Cherokee

Hard shifts, odd shift points, hesitates and lurches into gear

- So St Paul, MN, USA

Nov 162016

Cherokee

For the 3rd time - check engine light, check gas cap light come on, odometer starts flashing and vehicle loses all acceleration after those lights come up. You can floor the gas pedal and the vehicle will barely get to 40 mph. Last time it was brought to the dealership they performed flashes (3 weeks ago) and the issue went away. Happened again today while pulling out of a busy shopping center and the car lost the ability to accelerate and had to limp it home to be towed to the dealership. The dealership advises they are unaware of any issues like this however there are multiple reports of this make\model\year having this exact same issue. The first time it happened I was doing 80 mph on the interstate and the car immediately dropped to 40 mph nearly causing a collision.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Aug 222016

Cherokee

Safety recall listed below. Notified 2 months ago. This can cause a crash without warning! I am not comfortable driving a vehicle that could cause serious bodily injury/death to myself or anyone else. VIN: 1C4pjldb3ew212727 year: 2014 make: Jeep model: Cherokee limited fwd number of open recalls: 1 NHTSA recall number: Opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 16V529 recall date: August 22, 2016 manufacturer recall number: S55 summary: The transaxle wire harness on your vehicle may have been built with insufficient wire terminal crimp(s). This may cause an intermittent high electrical resistance in the transaxle wire harness circuit(s). A high resistance circuit(s) in this wiring harness will cause the on-board diagnostic system to set a diagnostic trouble code (dtc). When the dtc is set, the system defaults the transaxle to neutral and the customer experiences a loss of motive power. Safety risk: The loss of motive power could cause a crash without warning. Remedy: The transmission control module (tcm) must be reprogramed with new software. The new software strategy will eliminate the transaxle shift-to-neutral condition for this issue, place the transaxle in a fixed gear limp mode and illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (mil) if a high resistance circuit is detected in the transaxle wire harness. Recall status: Recall incomplete. Remedy not yet available

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102016

Cherokee

Takata recall car bucking when shifting into gear. Also there was a knocking noise when driving at different speeds and when turning the wheel or going over bumps. It got so bad that it sounded like my tire was going to fall off or the underneath of my car. Also my car was shaking when it would hit a bump. There was also a whining noise that would occur when I turned my wheel either way. This problem has been occuring for almost two years now, everytime I brought it back to the dealer they stated that my "car was fine" was not until I brought it to another machinic that they told me it was my front passenger wheel ball joint. This would occur while the car was on the highway or side roads, as long as the car was in motion. Also my car would have problems when shifting. The car bucked on my on the highway when I was going 65 the car lights started flashing and I got warning lights stating to put car into desired gear, check oil and transmission. I pulled into the break down lane and put the car in park. Turned the car on and off & the same thing happened.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Oct 172016

Cherokee

Three times in the last year (10/26/15, 1/1/2016, 10/17/2016), my Cherokee has lost all speed while on the freeway going 60mph. The dash lights start flashing including check engine, park immediately traction control, and service transmission. The gas pedal no longer works and the car loses all speed in 4-5 seconds. I have been forced to cut across all lanes of traffic to park on the shoulder. The engine never turns off, but when I try to press the gas pedal, even flooring it, the car does not move. The dealer has "rewired" the wiring harness and replaced the transmission control module twice. This is an incredibly unsafe issue with this vehicle making me afraid to drive it.

- Keyport, WA, USA

Sep 052016

Cherokee

Sudden unintended acceleration (over 2000 RPM) when breaking or coasting to a stop. Vehicle speed control component needs to be reprogramed or replaced in automatic transmission. Problem not fixed during last checkup.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 012016

Cherokee

When at an average rate of speed (55mph) while driving on a curve (there is a bump in the road at the spot I am referring to), when the Jeep hits it, it has a death wobble in the front end!!! cruise control speeds up on a very small decline in the road every time used!!! from a stop, the car has a hard shift when beginning to press accelerator!!! hands free voice gets my voice request wrong almost every time!!!

- Heber City, UT, USA

Feb 202016

Cherokee

Takada recall transmission shifts hard in 1 -3 gears, hesitates on acceleration, stays in low gear on steep incline, drops into neutral uncontrolled and lunges car forward when shifting through first three gears.

- Bauxite, AR, USA

Aug 102016

Cherokee

Car was parked and upon startup produced a loud bang. Car reversed after a jerk and a complete loss of power. Turned car off and turned it back on. Felt like it rode in neutral without the ability to accelerate. Almost caused an accident. I had my child in the back seat. Every light on the dashboard lit up-failed transmission ect... I have photo documentation.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Aug 282014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle downshifted while the accelerator pedal was depressed without warning. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Aug 012016

Cherokee

The cruise control does not disengage when I push the cruise control cancel button. When I have the cruise control on and going 65mph, (on a highway) or so, in a high elevation and want the cruise off, I press the brake, the cruise control does not disengage. If I press the cruise control "cancel" button, the cruise control does not disengage. I can tell because the cruise control light on the dash is still lit. What does turn off the cruise control is pressing the cruise control button that I push to engage cruise control in the first place. So to turn off the cruise control, I must press the cruise control "on" button. Shouldn't pressing the brake or the cruise control cancel button turn off cruise control all the time? I have placed another complaint on this subject before with you, but before I didn't know how to cancel the cruise control. Now I have found that I must press the button that also turns it on to turn it off.

- Coupeville, WA, USA

Aug 182014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the transmission failed to shift properly and there was constant unintended acceleration when the gears changed. While changing gears to pull into the driveway, the vehicle surged forward into the garage without warning. The contact applied the brake pedal with force when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than five times, but they were unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued at random. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Richland, WA, USA

Jul 012016

Cherokee

Transmission issues. Brought to the dealer twice in one week.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 282016

Cherokee

The transmission on this car makes it a death trap. I have experienced: The car not turning on or shutting off on its own (while driving) due to not enough oil in the engine, lunging, delayed acceleration, missing gears when shifting, loud bangs and noises when shifting, indicator lights malfunctioning, the list goes on. I have been to the dealer on numerous occasions (excluding the 6 times for recalls) and they don't even know how to fix these issues. I can't drive this car because I'm scared I'll die I can't sell this car because it has lost all value I can't afford another car right now

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 222016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact heard an unusual noise underneath the hood. The vehicle immediately accelerated and crashed into a parked vehicle, causing extensive damage to both vehicles. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a minor injury that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and an investigation was ordered. The failure mileage was 13,000. Updated 08/31/16

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 052015

Cherokee

12/5/15 jerking SUV stops driving stops in middle of intersection gration& 13mile 12/7/15 returned to dealership Jan 2016 roseville Chrysler Jeep threatened to have vehicle towed to scrap yard and bill me for towing & pay remainder of car note Jan 18 2016 car was delivered back to my home as of June 1 2016 my vehicle still jerks when I accelerate after taking my foot off brake & press gas pedal - cant afford to pay for 2 vehicles - my lease ends May 2017

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

May 192016

Cherokee

The Jeep continues to stall with no warning in traffic, causing a serious risk of collision. The vehicle has also experience unwanted and automatic acceleration, also causing a serious risk of injury. A leaky break line was just replaced. The vehicle only has 27,000

- Austin, TX, USA

May 262016

Cherokee

Please read...traveling on interstate 75 N / approximate speed 65 - 75 mph / vehicle "turned off, went dead" / coasted through two lanes to get to an emergency side spot! it truly is a miracle that we were not ran over!!! contacted a wrecker service and having to wait 1 1/2hrs on the side of a busy interstate, our vehicle was lifted and taken to a dealership / the wrecker driver wasn't able to get vehicle started or out of gear until he accessed help via his phone, which allowed him to move gear but still didn't crank / next day, a rep from the dealership called and said the vehicle started up and the issue mentioned above could not be replicated"?? a strange report was given that there seem to be grease from an unknown source that was seen under the vehicle and perhaps that caused the problem??" we picked the vehicle up and made it home (70 mi) / this is extremely worrisome, not to mention, of course it could be deadly! please help.

- Buford, GA, USA

May 222016

Cherokee

On Sunday on May 22, 2016, I drove my 2014 Jeep Cherokee on interstate 275 from the montgomery road exit to the five-mile road exit. I was alone in the vehicle. I used the cruise control during this travel. I originally set the speed for 70 miles per hour. At one point, I had to slow down because a car pulled into the lane in front of me and the step down of feature of the speed control worked as expected. When I exited from I-275 to five-mile, I applied the brakes but was unable to slow my car. I continued to apply pressure to the brake pedal but the car's speed was not being reduced and I realized that I would be crossing into the signalized intersection without being able to stop. Shortly before entering the intersection, I honked the horn of my car. My car continued across all four lanes of five-mile road and onto the on-ramp from five mile to interstate 275. There it stopped. I do not remember pushing the button on the steering wheel to cancel the cruise control. The car did not impact or touch any other vehicle or pedestrian or other property. It came to a stop on the onramp. The cruise control was not then causing the car to accelerate and the brakes worked. I drove my car very slowly and parked it in the parking lot of the shopping center at the intersection of five-mile and beechmont avenue. From there, I had the car towed from the parking lot to the dealership where I purchased it, kings Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Inc. At kings auto mall. A report referenced by ntsa id no. 10861030 describes a similar incident involving the same make model and year. So far, the dealer service department says there is no problem discernable from the computer codes or fault indications.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA