CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 222016

Cherokee

Continuously having issues with the vehicle, related to acceleration while driving in traffic, car shutting off in traffic, not starting back up right away, gears shifting roughly while - is an automatic 9 speed 4 cylinder vehicle. I have been offered a 5% discount on a Jeep trade in by the Jeep resolution department, but at this point, not sure if its worth buying another Jeep. I am afraid of this happening again. Unfortunately, the mechanics, cant find what wrong with the vehicle, and they also test drove the car, driving around the dealership, on side streets, but not in traffic, or stop and go traffic. I am frustrated at this point, jepp knows these are issues with many of there engines, and fail to truly hear the customers complaints, to the point of taking these complaints more seriously. The resolution offered are not good enough to fix the issue, as I feel I would trade this vehicle in and they will turn around and sell it again.... not safe at all. ! I need help, as I don't know what to do next, take the offer or just trade in with a different dealer and car type/model nothing Chrysler/Jeep related uuuggghhhh!

- Summit, IL, USA

Jan 012015

Cherokee

When attempting to accelerate quickly while stationary or in motion, there is a delay between hitting the accelerator and the vehicle responding. Upon vehicular response the engine will rev extreemly high, then resume regular operation. This has occured on every road in every condition. The aformentioned problem has put my vehicle at high risk of collision on 3 different occasions. An example of this includes pulling out of a parkinglot onto a busy highway. When there is enough space to pull out and accelerate quickly, the vehicle crawls out of the lot, a second goes by, then the vehicle revs up into the 5500-6000rpm. Passing a vehicle on a one lane highway also presents problems. Pulling out into the oncoming lane, depressing the pedal, and not accelerating right away puts the operator at risk for a head on collision. Dealerships have told me there is no fault and it operates normally when running the computer diagnostics. There is a legitimate problem, and I hope it can be rectified in the near future. The date entered in the "when did this happen" section is the rough date this started happening in my vehicle.

- Fredricton Nb Canada E3b5v4, AA, USA

Apr 202016

Cherokee

With cruise control on, at 70 mph on an interstate hwy at higher elevation, the RPM's were near 4,000. I put on the brakes as the speed was going faster than I wanted. Putting on the brakes did not disengage the cruise control, so the RPM's stayed near 4,000. The only way to slow down was to press the cancel button for the cruise control. This has happened 3-4 times on different trips in different locations that were all high in elevation: 1500 feet +. I have told this information to the dealer we bought the car from, new, in 2014. This just happened again 4-20-16 in southern Oregon. Normally, pressing the brake pedal cancels the cruise control.

- Coupeville, WA, USA

Apr 142016

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee bought in December 2014 500miles. Shortly after purchase, car shifting erratically, lunging forward at stops, and not accelerating when stepping on gas appropriately. On the way to work one day, car bogged down in traffic, turned off, would not turn back on for over 30 minutes, trying to start all lights and check engine warnings were going haywire. Car finally started, got to work, but car did not start up again after my shift, had to have car towed to dealer. They did updates and computer resets, picked up vehicle, only for vehicle to shut down on the lot, they took it back in, and kept it over night. They felt they fixed the problem, but again on the way to work, car still shifting dangerously, lunging forward, and has shut down again. Even while in a drive thru, car lunged forward almost hitting another car in front of me. Car taken back into dealer, again they completed a ton of recalls, and updates, some repeated form the last few times, I took the car in. The car has been in the shop 5-6 times now, with 2 claims escalated to Jeep/Chrysler. I am pregnant, and with the car shutting down in the middle of traffic is extremely, lunging forward, shifting erratically, and bogging down while on highway has only brought fear to my safety, the safety of my pregnancy, and the safety of others driving around me, as I hope this can be fixed before something horrible happens. I have requested to claims that the car be replaced, or be issued a buy back, safety is my main concern ! this vehicle is no good< and should not be driven or resold !

- Summit, IL, USA

Apr 172016

Cherokee

Vehicle lost power in the middle of a busy intersection. The throttle control warning light, and the check engine light came on. This is a very serious safety hazard as two vehicles almost collide with me due to the sudden loss of power and stalling.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 012014

Cherokee

My car will shift hard in reverse, sometimes into drive, and also from 1st gear into 2nd gear. Also, when turning, and trying to accelerate, I notice the car feels like it is in slow motion and does not accelerate, even if I am stepping hard on the pedal. I have also noticed that the car will not shift into higher gears when climbing in elevation. Many times I have been driving up in elevation, and will be stuck in 4th gear unable to shift to a higher gear. The problem all seems to revolve around this new 9 speed transmission. I have taken to the dealership, and they have checked the computer to find nothing. I am updated on all of my recalls. I was told next time, "I should buy a V6" by the dealership.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

Cherokee

Jeep has loss of power between 0-5 mph; 25-35 mph and 55-65 mph. After more than 3 dealership visits and flash module and software updates the vehicle has gotten progressively worse with loss of power and now uneven shifting including jerking when shifting. If you press the gas pedal down there is a delay before the vehicle goes. I have had these issues from the get go 3K miles and now have 8.5K on it with no fixes or end in sight. Fca has had little to no communication with me up to this point and am still waiting on a call back from them.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 172016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that after the vehicle was serviced under an unknown manufacturers recall, the accelerated pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle lost power however, the radio remained activated. The vehicle was powered off and restarted twice and the vehicle was able to function properly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Haines City, FL, USA

Jan 272016

Cherokee

Vehicle seems to have transmission problems. It has been at the dealership several times now due to shifting problems and loosing power while on the freeway. The RPM's seem to go very high and then drop to 0 with no warning. Vehicle stalls out and thus far fca has had no resolution. This is a serious safety issue as it can occur while your accelerating to enter the freeway or while passing another vehicle. Also a danger of loosing power at an inconvenient moment and potentially causing a crash from the rear. Problem has been ongoing since December of 2015 with no solution as of the end of January 2016.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 152015

Cherokee

At high altitude cruise control accelerated when the car started to go down hill and cruise control wouldn't disengage when hit the break or turn off cruise. Had to rek severe times before it disengaged. Has happened more than once only at high (above 3000 ft) altitude

- Coupeville, WA, USA

Jan 132016

Cherokee

First - vehicle would shift into park and I could not turn it off. When shifting into reverse, the car would not move. I had to have it towed into the dealer. Second - while driving on the expressway, the vehicle gave 5-6 beeps and information panel said, "restart vehicle and service transmission." The car stopped moving forward when pressing the gas. Shifting into park (to restart the vehicle) the car vibrated and jumped. Restarted the vehicle, the transmission light was on, message says service transmission, traction control light on, and the D(rive) light was blinking. Third - all of the above again, except everyone on the expressway was moving at 65-70 miles per hour, and my car stopped in the third lane. This seems to happen when the vehicle is moving and it is getting very dangerous for me and other drivers.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 302015

Cherokee 4-cyl

I bought a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited and after one week, check engine light came on and car wouldn't start. Taken back to dealership and was told it was fixed. Since then the Jeep shifts very hard making the SUV lurch forward at times and other times it will shift into a lower gear when speeds over 50 mph and make the SUV jerk to a slower speed. When cruising down a hill without pushing the accelerator, SUV will shift gears many different times causing the Jeep to lurch forward quickly without warning. When trying to pass a car on the hwy, it takes Jeep a few seconds to "catch" the gear and make it go faster. I have had several near misses of other cars hitting me and me, hitting others due to the unpredictability of speeds and jerking forward. I have had the SUV in the shop 4 times for "software updates" and told that would fix the problem. It has never fixed the problem. Most recent near miss was yesterday 29 Dec due to downshifting wile moving at higher speeds and causing the SUV to slow dramatically without warning.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 052015

Cherokee

Roseville Chrysler called 12/11/15 @ 10:32 am told me they completed oil change and I can pick up my vehicle. Fyi: This vehicle was towed to roseville Chrysler dealership 12/7/15 and will remain there because this vehicle is a lemon and is dangerous. Will not risk my life or my 6yr son health to drive this vehicle!! 2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV started jerking & idled stop moving on me twice 12/5/15 @3:30pm. I was stuck in the middle of intersection 13mile & utica for 1minute fortunately no one was tailgating & I didn┐T get in a car accident. All I want is to exchange for another vehicle that is not a Cherokee. Purchased vehicle May 8 2014 incident dates May 9, 2014 bake & radio complaint May 12, 2014 brake complaint Sept 5, 2014 radio complaint Sept 9, 2014 radio replaced Sept 11,2014 radio complaint 4/6/15 complaint over jerking vehicle 7/21/15 installed new transmission / installed new door handle latch for trunk 12/5/15 jerking SUV twice 2 stops driving 12/7/15 returned to dealership

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 302015

Cherokee

When driving at least once a week, the car will suddenly loose speed and will drop into low gear. A service note comes on the screen stating, "service transmission" and "service park brake." I am unable to have any control of the speed of the car. I have to turn the car off and turn the car off several times, until the transmission allows to switch speeds/gears. At first, when trying to accelerate the car will just drop out and not allow me to move forward. I feel extremely unsafe driving my vehicle especially when this happens on the highway in the middle of traffic. It has happened to me when going anywhere from 25 mph to 78 mph. I have taken it to the dealer where I bought it, and they seemed to find nothing wrong with the vehicle. I took my car to another dealer in another state, and they were still unsuccessful with finding out what is wrong with the vehicle. Again, I feel completely unsafe when driving and I am just waiting to cause an accident or someone to rear end me because of the drastic lose in speed.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Oct 192015

Cherokee

Forward collision avoidance system is activating without warning and without any other vehicles or road obstructions in front of the vehicle. This has happened 4 times over the last month. One of the times this happened my wife was traveling at approximately 40mph and there was a vehicle following behind her and they in turn had to slam their brakes on to avoid hitting her. Of course this enraged the driver behind her thinking that she was intentionally slamming on her brakes. Another time my wife was traveling at 65 mph on the highway and the forward collision avoidance system slammed the brakes on hard enough to engage the ABS system. Thank god that there were no other cars or semi's behind her or slick roads as this could have caused a very serious if not fatal accident. The two other times were the same, the crash avoidance system activating for no reason. The vehicle is currently at the dealer for repair and we were notified that the vehicle was ready for pick up on 11-13-2015. Upon arrival at the dealer I specifically asked if the safety concerns with the crash avoidance system and transmission had been corrected. I was told that they hadn't been looked at because they weren't on the list of repairs, when actually this is why the appointment for service was set. The dealer told me to go ahead and take the vehicle and bring it back on 11-23-2015. I refused taking the vehicle as it was not safe for my wife to drive. After arguing, they kept the vehicle. We were notified again on 11-19-2015 that the vehicle was ready for pick up, but they could not duplicate the symptoms with the crash avoidance system. On 11-20-2015 I went to the dealer and again refused the pick up of the vehicle until it has been repaired and is safe for my wife to operate. I have been in contact with Jeep multiple times during this ordeal and have an open case on the vehicle at this time.

- Englewood, OH, USA

Mar 022015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed and released, the vehicle accelerated rapidly without warning. In addition, the vehicle sputtered as if it would stall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,900.

- Carbondale, PA, USA

Jul 282015

Cherokee

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 12:12pm on interstate 91-S at 65mph in the middle travel lane, I was surrounded by multiple tractor-trailers. My dashboard suddenly lit up like a christmas tree. I immediately attempted to get to safety. The car's speed dropped dramatically without warning, even when I applied the gas. At least two tractor-trailers just missed hitting me. I narrowly managed to get to the right side of the highway. On Friday, July 31, 2015, executive Jeep reassured me that the vehicle was repaired and safe to drive. I expressed my concern about it being safe; the service advisor re-assured me that it was. On Monday, August 3, 2015, just 7 days after the vehicle failed me, I was en route to work on 91-N I was traveling in the middle lane surrounded by multiple vehicles. Again, the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. I was almost hit by other vehicles while trying to make my way to the right side of the highway. The car's speed dropped dramatically without warning, even when I applied the gas. For the second time in one week, the vehicle failed in the same manner and I narrowly managed to get to the breakdown lane. Chrysler insists that this vehicle is safe to drive. This is the third Jeep Cherokee in Connecticut that I am personally aware of that has the same defect; this is unacceptable. I purchased a new Jeep to be safe; my experience with Jeep has been far from that. I am stuck paying of an unsafe vehicle. Narrowly avoiding being killed twice in this vehicle is enough for me.

- Branford, CT, USA

Jul 022014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle did not accelerate and made an abnormal noise. The failure happened without warning. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V293000 (vehicle speed control), but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Oct 012015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, there was sudden increase in engine rpms; however, the vehicle would not accelerate properly. The contact continued to depress the accelerator pedal and the vehicle began to drive normally. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 102015

Cherokee

Mileage 26,000+ transmission failed while driving on the highway this morning. Revs went very high but couldn't generate speed to keep up with traffic (check engine light came on)...car didn't move past 2nd gear. Having read all the complaints about transmission issues cause by the lack of "mature" software as cited by Fiat Chrysler CEO sergio marchionne, I'm wondering why the vehicle hasn't been recalled to prevent a potential dangerous event from occurring. I was lucky I could get off the highway this morning and get to a dealership close by. At this stage - the vehicles has had a recall for the radio R40), wipers, liftgate.. what else Mr. Marchionne... do they right thing for your consumers and recall the vehicles who are as you say lacking "mature" programming. Navigation system not working either. I am seriously considering trading this in for a non Chrysler car.

- Stephenson, VA, USA