Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 232014

The interior door handles crack and break: This is safety hazard trap for many consumer because you can't open the door from the inside if in an accident or in an emergency. I have been following this complaint since this vehicle came out on the market several hundred and so far nothing has been to correct this problem. Only having the consumer fix it their self which is very costly to fix. My dealer shop quoted me $500 per door and I have 2 that are badly cracked and broken : please consider a recall on the door handles and think of the safely of adults and children. This happens by just opening a door due to poor product select on the manufacturer.

- Fremont, NE, USA

Jan 282016

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. Each time it rained, the driver side leaked approximately two inches of water. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 121,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. During inclement weather, water leaked through the driver and passenger side windows. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the tubes on the front windows needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Rockaway, NJ, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that all interior door latches were cracked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was informed that the handles would need to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 012015

My 2006 Jeep Commander driver's door handles break - 3 of the 4 have broken after nothing but normal everyday use. If you're in a wreck you may not be able to exit the vehicle if the handles are broken. Checking the web for consumer's that have had similar problems with the Jeep Commander door handles breaking and finding out there are hundreds if not a couple thousand that have had the exact same breakage of the door handle operating mechanism. If you take the vehicle to the Jeep dealer for repair, they want $600 - $800 per door to ensure your safety in exiting the vehicle. Describing what happens with your vehicle: It is just everyday ordinary operational use as to when the driver or passengers on the inside of the vehicle and "normally "pull" the handle to open the door and exit the vehicle that the handle and handle housing breaks into pieces. This breakage happens to all the door handles (front & rear) in the 2006 Jeep Commander.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA

Aug 172012

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that water was leaking into the vehicle. Also, the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the PCM needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 136,000.

- Amherst, VA, USA

Jun 012015

3 of 4 door handles now broken - serious safety issue.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jun 142015

2006 Jeep Commander all 4 door handles are all broken and difficult to pry open started around 75000 miles. Numerous similar complaints on different Jeep sites. Jeep has not issued any recall regarding this unsafe situation.

- Hobe Sound, FL, USA

Nov 142012

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. During inclement weather, water would leak into the vehicle and onto the floorboard near wires. The contact stated that the entire warning panel was illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was not available.

- Bethleham, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The door handle on my Jeep Commander is cracking. My son went to open his door and his fingers got caught on the crack part of the door handle and we could not get his fingers out without him suffering.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Aug 252014

The plastic panel of the interior door (driver's side) cracked by the door handle. One day I pulled the interior door handle, the crack in the panel grew and pieces crumbled and fell into the door. Then the handle fell into the door. Now the only way to open the door is to lower the window and open it from outside. This is a major safety issue, and I apparently am not the only one. See forum citing:

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Aug 302013

My vehicle paint is "spidering" and cracking on the hood. You wouldn't think this could happen since it sat in a garage for almost a year while I was deployed, I wax it religiously and it is used very little. When talking to the Jeep dealer, they make it sound like it is acceptable wear and tear. I think there is a flaw in the paint used for that specific year and possibly manufacturing location.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Sep 272011

Commander 6-cyl

Electrical issue that is causing all dashboard lights to flicker on and off, heat/air goes on and off, audio center goes on and off all electrical functions go no and off. Dealership blamed my remote starter(which they. Installed) but turned out it wasn't and they have no idea what it is. Say they can't determine what it is unless it is happening when I bring it in. The interior door opening casing crumbles. Already had drivers door fixed because I couldn't open door from inside and was told all doors would eventually have to be done. Doors freeze due to poor drainage. Water collects inside door frame and running board, freezing all doors. If not for the remote starter, wouldn't be able to get in the car at all.

- Cranston , RI, USA

Jan 012012

Commander 8-cyl

I have randomly chosen an incident date as I am not sure of the exact date the door handles caved in. When the first handle caved in I thought my daughter pushed to hard to open the door and that it could be repaired by simply replacing the handle. As the months and years have gone all four door handles have caved in. And I have been informed that the entire panel must be replaced for each to repair. I am appalled and shocked that Jeep has not recalled these doors. This is certainly a safety hazard. It is so expensive to repair as well. I am always concerned for any passenger as those in the rear are totally unable to open the doors from the inside. And the driver's door is just about in that state. I will say any day now. But I am moreso afraid now that I have a grandson whose seat is located in the back. What if something happens and the person sitting in the back with him can't him or themselves out. Please advise as to what or how Jeep can be forced to protect us! it is my understanding through internet research that Jeep restructured the door design 2008 and beyond to alleviate this safety hazard. Please advise as I am so fearful of some catastrophic event taking place.

- Harvest, AL, USA

Apr 142014

The door handle assembly on the driver side has become brittle causing the unit to break potentially causing the driver to become trapped. This is concerning especially during an emergency.

- San Pablo, CA, USA

Feb 122014

1.the vehicle leaks. I suspected it was the the sun roof as that would be the obvious choice. After completely cleaning and testing the drain lines. I now feel like this is the issue my vehicle has had about 3/4' of water in the floorboard and I have to keep 2 containers of damprid in the vehicle at all times to avoid having a mildew smell. Not to mention that it can't be good for the electronics that run around the base of the car. Considering that they have a repair sheet on it. I feel like they shouldn't charge their customers to repair anything. 2. door handles. All of the door handles of the vehicle are broken except for the drivers side which clearly has a aftermarket fix on it. The cheap plastic used to mount them has cracked and now the door handles just hang. This is a safety issue. It potentially could trap people in the car. I have read about the issues all over the internet yet Jeep is trying to make the customers pay $2000 for the door panel replacements. That is completely unacceptable.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

Sep 112013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the front driver and rear passenger's side seat belts failed latch properly. Also, the contact stated that the rear passenger's side interior door handle became fractured. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was advised that the seat belts and the door handles needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000 and the current mileage was 79,000.

- Denison , TX, USA

Nov 142012

Commander 8-cyl

The vehicle will suddenly lose power to the headlights, taillights, instrument panel, speedometer, odometer, and the interior some lights will turn themselves on without cause or warning. In the most recent event, vehicular damage and possible personal injury nearly occurred when driving in the dark, almost striking a utility pole. Also, the automatic window control will not function properly when trying to roll up the window itself. It will stop halfway and bring itself back down. It usually takes 3-4 times to roll the window up. This has occurred numerous times, so many that I can't keep track. The local dealership cannot pinpoint the issue and this vehicle is not safe to be on the road.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Dec 152013

Approximately 40 miles from home, on a day with the temperature well below zero degrees Fahrenheit, we rolled our front windows down to talk to our neighbors, who were shopping at the same mall as us. After visiting with them, our windows would not roll back up. Our family had to drive in freezing weather back home, on a Sunday, with the windows rolled down. On the way, by rapidly depressing the windows lock button, while my wife repeatedly pulled up on the front passenger window switch, we got her window to roll up. We never could get the drivers front window to roll up. I replaced the master switch assembly on the drivers door panel, but that did not help. The dealership told me that I probably have multiple broken wires in the wire bundle in the door hinge area. Jeep has not, to my knowledge, addressed this problem at all. The internet forums are chock-full of hundreds and hundreds of consumers that have had, and are having this same problem.

- Sturgis, SD, USA

Sep 042012

The passenger side rear interior door handle casing cracked causing the door being unable to open from the inside. A few months later, the same issue came about with the driver's side front door; however I am able to open the door if I angle it correctly and with several attempts. This is very concerning as, in my opinion, it is a safety issue. If an emergency were to happen, my children or myself would not be able to exit the vehicle immediately. I have spoken with Jeep and they stated they are not aware of any problem and would need to replace the entire door panels.

- New Bern, NC, USA