Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Aug 292014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 40 mph, various warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle suddenly stalled. Once the contact released the accelerator pedal, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure occurred multiple times. The dealer assumed that the failure was directly related to NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the check engine warning indicator was continuously illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 139,000.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Sep 012014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle seem to loose power while cruising at or around 45 mph or when engages 4th gear. RPM's drop really quick from 3500 to almost 1500 RPM's in matters of second. Increasing the risk of a rear end collision if trying to overtake another vehicle or driving up hill, dealer can't find problem. Problems happens every time under any weather condition.

- Reading, PA, USA

Sep 152014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

All of my safety warning lights flash on and off repeatedly. When this happens my car electrical things turn off including the ac, radio and everything else. The engine how ever did not. The car kept running but everything else stalled and turned off and on.. the first time was on the street but it continued even on the freeway going 60 mph. I took to dealer and they stated nothing is wrong. They could not find anythin. They even put in on the computer machine and nothing. I have only had vehicle for 2 months and im very worried. I have no other transportation and have to drive the vehicle to work and my kids around. I have a video of how the car kept doing that. If someone can contact me, I would be more than happy to send the vehicle video over.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 262014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (engine); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 042014

Commander 8-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle heard to be what sounded like a loud exhaust leak under the passenger side of the engine. While driving the noise seemed to lessen / go away. Upon doing research many reports that if you hear an "exhaust leak" upon start up then fade away, it could be a possibility that the exhaust manifold bolts have broken. I took it upon myself to look under the hood on the passenger side while the vehicle was cold, and low and behold the bolt that goes through the heat shield and manifold and into the engine block was cracked in two pieces separating the manifold from the block. I call my mechanic, he said bring it down right away, he looked at it and saw that there was 2 bolts broken on the passenger side. Again many complaints from customers online about the same problem, and the only way to fix this issue is to lift the engine out of the vehicle to drill out the broken bolts that are stuck in the block. Now. My mechanic tries everything all sorts of angle tools, other tools and cant remove the bolts, so the only thing left to do is lift the engine. I have the engine lifted and find that there were more bolts broken on the driver side as well. I go to the dealer and buy all new "upgraded bolts" ( as the dealer specified) for this along with gaskets, rear main seal, fan clutch, oil pan gasket etc. I explain to the dealer the problem and they admit to the problem but there's no recall on the 4.7L only on the hemi for the broken manifold bolts. I ask what was the problem. The dealer replied " the manufacturer installed the wrong grade bolts from the manifold to the block." Now I'm out almost $3500 for parts and labor for a known problem that hasn't been recalled, this is something Chrysler/Jeep should be on top of considering this is an ongoing issue. This is my second Jeep, and I'm not sure I'd purchase another one.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Apr 022012

Commander 8-cyl

The vehicle check engine light comes on and the car stalls out no matter how fast you are going. Everything dies, including power steering. I have to coast over to the side of the road and turn the car off and then restart it and it runs fine for awhile. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I have been driving on the highway going 80 mph and the check engine light comes on and it just shuts off. I have also been on side roads going 35-40 mph and it happens. It always restarts and then it happens again. I had all the spark plugs replaced in 2012 and it worked fine for awhile, probably about 5,000 miles, then it happened again out of the blue in 2014. I don't drive the car very often because it is too dangerous. I've almost caused several accidents on the highway from a sudden slow down from the engine dying and decelerating rapidly. I've written a complaint in 2012, never heard anything and now I am writing again.

- New Boston, NH, USA

Aug 162014

Commander 6-cyl

Driving my Jeep Commander from topeka, ks to manhattan, ks drove on the high way when accelerated the vehicle began to jerk and or began a rocking motion. The vehicle jerked or rocked every so often not consistent but very randomly did not notice a pattern. The vehicle did not drive well and felt very unsafe to drive on the high way.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Aug 182014

Engine shut off while driving on a winding road. Loss of steering and brakes became a potentially catastrophic problem. This is the second occurrence of this type in the past month. Our mechanic is scratching his head.

- Greer, SC, USA

Apr 302011

Commander 8-cyl

The lights on my 2006 Jeep Commander ac/heat panel will not light up since 2011. Also my stereo lights, head lights and speedometer lights and other instrument light flicker randomly. My other problem that started in April of 2014 is when I am driving at 55/60 mph a warning message will pop up that reads transmission over temperature. It sometimes goes out on its own while I am still driving and sometimes it will take me to turn the truck off and restart the engine then it will go off.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 062014

Commander 8-cyl

Everytime I drive my Jeep it stalls and the wheel locks up (basically turns into manual steering) and my brakes lock up ( no brakes at all) and I had just bought this Jeep a wk go from mcgee Chevrolet in raynham MA. The first night I drove it home it stalled pulling in to the driveway. I called the dealership the next morning to tell them and they wouldn't take the Jeep til the following wk to look at it they came up with every excuse in the world. When I brought the Jeep in today they had me sign a deductible of 100 dollars but yet when I first test drove the Jeep it I told them to fix it but all they did was cleared the codes (flashed the computer) now I have a rejection sticker on the vehicle and no car.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Mar 022014

Commander 8-cyl

Was driving down road and lost power, car stalled. This has happened a total of 3 times with yesterday being the 3rd event and I was traveling about 55 mph with the last incident.

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Aug 152013

Commander 8-cyl

Ignition switch defective. It moved from run to acc while making a right turn onto a onramp going about 30 mph. It turned off the vehicle just like the defective GM switch did. It was attached to other keys and may have been bumped by knee during turn.

- De Pere, WI, USA

Jul 222014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The vehicle stalled without warning while driving 65 mph. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Jul 062014

Commander 8-cyl

While driving on Sunday July 6, 2014, my vehicle suddenly shut off and lost power steering. We were able to pull off and restart the vehicle. This happened a couple of times and then seemed to run normal.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jun 262014

Commander 8-cyl

We were on a main road coming up to a stoplight when the engine suddenly stalled. Hands were still on steering wheel. Had my son and sister with me. Had to put the car in "park" and restart the engine. Did not get hit, but dangerously close to being hit from behind.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 122013

I was slowing down to make a right hand turn and the car shut off couldn't get it started had to have it towed and had to have ignition switch and assy. Replaced.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Apr 172014

Commander 8-cyl

My beloved Jeep Commander suddenly shut off while driving at 40mph. With no prior problems or warning signs the engine completely stalled- instantly I lost both power steering & brakes. Needless to say I was terrified. After much confusion & hassle I was told to replace my key. (reason being the 'chip' inside was malfunctioning.) I replaced the $270 key which solved nothing. To my surprise, many Commander owners experience this same problem with no help from Jeep. Not only do Jeep dealerships ignore the potential recall warning on the Commander, but they actually recommend expensive 'solutions' that do not even touch the known problem. It seems as though there are no solutions for this faulty system, given that no dealership can successfully stop the shutting off. There are way too many owners experiencing the same dangerous stall. I cannot in good conscience ignore the fact that this problem goes beyond inconvenience; this is potentially very dangerous and the Jeep Commander needs to be recalled.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Mar 302014

Commander 8-cyl

While driving down a service road, my 2006 Jeep Commander stalled and the check engine light came on. It would not restart, and was towed to the dealership. The dealership says that the valve and valve seating came loose, and fell into my cylinder, damaging the piston. They are now saying that I need a new engine, as mine has too much damage to repair. I contacted Jeep customer care, and they are unwilling to repair the damage. The vehicle cost $12,500 and the new engine, only 2 months after purchasing it, will cost roughly $7,000 without including labor. From my research, this is a fairly common problem, that Jeep knows about, but is unwilling to fix.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Apr 022012

Commander 6-cyl

October, 2013 received notification that there was a safety recall on my 2006 Jeep Commander. (as I have 6 children, this was a priority to have fixed) I brought my Jeep into the dealership to have the N23 safety recall performed. Come January, 2014 I attempt to activate my 4 wheel low and I get a service light stating "service 4WD". I contact the dealership who had performed the recall and bring it in to be looked at. They run a diagnosis and determine the truck has an internal short in the transfer case. The service tech advised me it is related to the recall but he can not do anything at the dealer level. I need to call Chrysler customer service who tells me they will not be doing anything to help. Upon a little research (Jeep forums) it seems there are many (many) others with the same issues. I am sure I am not the only one to call Jeep with this issue and if you clear the codes the 4 wheel low engages so it is not a short. I believe Chrysler Jeep should look into what was performed with the N23 recall and determine how it effected the 4 wheel low on these vehicles. Then reprogram them to work, as they were, at no cost to the owner. Since this was a safety recall I felt I had no option but to have the recall performed on my vehicle now I have a faulty vehicle. Dealer tells me they need to update 4 wheel drive but cant do it because it is not in the recall this has gone on for way 2 long. I am going to file a complaint with the better business and I ask everyone with this same problem do it also please complain somewhere so something can be done.

- Edinburg , TX, USA

Apr 102013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. A crash occurred after the failure occurred. The contact also mentioned that the electrical components intermittently failed. The failure was diagnosed by a private mechanic where the failure was unable to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000 and the current mileage was 113,8096.

- Fair Oak , CA, USA