Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 262014

Commander 8-cyl

All the light on my dash board have been flickering on and off for the past two months. It does not seem to affect my engine however it will completely take all gauges to zero while I am driving. I drove it last night and when it happened it killed my all my lights. I can hear a clicking sound when the flickering happens. It doesn't click continuously but enough to make me very uneasy.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Apr 172013

Commander 6-cyl

Normal start up and driving. All dash lights, head lights, warning lights began blinking on and off very quickly for a few minutes until jiggling the ignition key a few times got all lights to stay on and warning lights to stay off. Car continued to run at the 35 miles per hour. Gauges were going from 0 to normal readings during this same time period. This has happened several times since this first incident. Did not notice quickly enough if the air bag lights were going on and off also but suspect that they were. All were in and out of alarm.

- Reading, MI, USA

Feb 222012

There is a serious electrical problem with the SUV which started within. The dealers looked at it, I paid for computer diagnostics and still nothing. Besides all the lights flashing on and off, the speedometer fluctuating, actually all the instruments going on and off while I am driving; also, the temperature control panel does not light up when the headlights are on. I have never had an automobile with all these electrical problems that no one can fix. Please recall this vehicle before someone dies. I try not to drive long distances alone because of this problem.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Dec 312013

Commander 8-cyl

All lights on the dash flip off and on in succession and the odometer and tachometer drop to 0 while maintaining speed. Highbeams and headlights also seem to be effected. Happened first on December 31 and has continued happening since this time at random times.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Nov 142012

Commander 8-cyl

The vehicle will suddenly lose power to the headlights, taillights, instrument panel, speedometer, odometer, and the interior some lights will turn themselves on without cause or warning. In the most recent event, vehicular damage and possible personal injury nearly occurred when driving in the dark, almost striking a utility pole. Also, the automatic window control will not function properly when trying to roll up the window itself. It will stop halfway and bring itself back down. It usually takes 3-4 times to roll the window up. This has occurred numerous times, so many that I can't keep track. The local dealership cannot pinpoint the issue and this vehicle is not safe to be on the road.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Sep 152013

While driving along a secondary road at night, the head lights and dashboard lights went off suddenly with out warning flickering on and off several times before coming back on.this has repeated it self several times.

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Apr 212013

My 2006 Commander stopped accelerating in fact it felt like I was driving against a wind blowing headon faster then I was driving, then the Jeep started jumping like a hick-up then my tail lights stopped working and lower dash lights went out and my warning lights in dash came on, the vehicle stalls out at idle or at start of acceleration not very good took to dealer was told I need a new front control module and new cooling fan, nwe speed relay costing $1063 im not to sure about it and they tell me that it has no recall ??

- Umatilla, OR, USA

Feb 282012

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the wiring in the starter would have to be replaced. Additionally, the exterior lighting intermittently failed and the front driver side window intermittently failed while being opened or closed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Mattapan, MA, USA

Aug 172011

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, all the warning lights illuminated. The headlights also failed intermittently. The failure recurred numerous times over the course of a year. The vehicle was taken to dealer where the contact was informed that the battery would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The dealer informed the contact that the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Matteson, IL, USA

Nov 202012

Commander 6-cyl

While driving down the road, the entire cluster of instrument warning lights begins to flash intermittently, creating a distraction and safety hazard while driving. In addition, the fuel gauge drops to "E", the speedometer drops to zero and then goes up and down and all gauges go up and down erratically. Also, the heated seats turn off as does the fan for the heater/ac unit. Verified with local mechanic that this is not related to the ignition switch and is most likely an ECM and/or PCM issue. Replaced battery but problem still exists. Engine malfunction indicator light comes on for several cycles, computer reboots itself and then the trouble starts again shortly after. This appears to be an ongoing issue with the 06 Commander but my VIN was not included in the ECM/PCM recall (08V203000) because I have the 6-cylinder rather than the 8 cylinder engine. This is a safety hazard while driving and I just feel fortunate that as of yet, my car is not stalling like so many others. However, I feel my issue is related to this same recall and want to have it on file.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Nov 012012

Interior and exterior lights will intermittently go off and on at the same time. On a freeway at 65mph this is not acceptable.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Sep 202012

Driving to work at an intersection. In the midst of turning left on to the road to my work parking lot... my car stalled on me. Again, I was in an intersection with on coming traffic. No lights came on (warning lites) no weird sounds, no jerking - just stalled. Started back up once I turned the key off and then on again.

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Nov 302011

Electrical dash board blinks while driving, driver's seat moves while driving, when it rains the driver's floor is soaked with water and passenger side floor is wet as well, vehicle jerks while driving. Indication lights pops on dashboard sporadically, radio and navigation doesn't work.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 052007

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

In the 5 years I have owned the 2006 Jeep Commander it has stalled while driving, stalled while parked. This happens at no set frequency. Sometimes it happens daily, other times it will go for months and not happen. The dash lights repeatedly flash off and on. Some dash lights don't work at all for months then like magic work fine for months. The vehicle sputters when accelerating all the time and at different speeds. If I am crossing or turining I need to make sure I have like 2 miles between me and oncoming traffic in case it decides to not work that time and I get stuck in the intersection. The cruise control no longer works. Luckily the computer went out that controls the cruise so I can't use it. The cruise used to just speed up and slow down on its own. I will be driving along and all of a sudden without notice the car will floor itself and not stop until I put the car in neutral. Regardless of what temperature I have the heater set to there is constantly extremely hot air blowing on my feet. I can not drive without shoes on or the hot air literally burns my feet. Overall- there are some serious electrical and mechanical issues with the Jeep Commander. I googled Jeep Commander and there are hundreds (I am sure thousands) of similar complaints.

- Mayer, MN, USA

Feb 012008

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The interior electrical lighting systems often goes out while driving in below freezing temperatures. This includes all speedometer, tachometer, and dash lights for all controls. This has been a problem since I purchased the vehicle new in February 2007. After five years, the led lights illuminating the switches for the fan speed, temperature control, and heated seats. I reported this under warranty but now I am told I am responsible for repair. The dealership cannot find the electrical fault. The led switch bulbs cannot simply be replaced as the entire unit for each control must be replaced. The engine was making a pinging sound and the dealership diagnosed it wrong 3 times. This should have been repaired under warranty when first reported. Many months later after warranty lapsed the dealership's corrective fix was replacing one side of the engine's hydraulic lifters. This made the problem a bit better but did not resolve it.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Jan 112011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The headlights begin to flash on and off intermittently. The lights within the instrument control panel are not illuminated and flash as well. I have to manually turn the lights off then turn them back on numerous times to get the flashing to stop. It is a very scary, dangerous, and embarrassing problem when it happens. This has been an ongoing issue for a few years now. The dealer was not notified. There are no recalls or warranties related to the failure.

- Kahului, HI, USA

Sep 202011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2006 Jeep Commander ltd. With the 5.7L hemi. Date of manufacturer was 06/06. In the past year my Commander has began stalling out sporadically while stopped completely. It occurs at any time, night or day, usually only when the engine is cold or cool. The problem occurs when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign, stop light, or any other complete stop in drive or reverse. When I come to a complete stop the RPM's drop and the vehicle stalls out. No warning lights or check engine lights show up on the dash. When it occurs at night all the external vehicle lights turn off, thus making me and my vehicle vulnerable to other traffic. It does not trip a code in the computer so the dealer cannot diagnose the problem. The first time I took my vehicle in for maintenance regarding the problem the dealer recommended I replace the egr valve so I did what they recommended. The problem still occurs. The dealer advised me that they cannot duplicate the problem therefore there is nothing they can do to correct the problem. When my vehicle stalls out it typically will do it 3-5 additional times per trip and it happens at least once per week. I have read that numerous people are having the same problems and Jeep has no fix. I am very concerned with this problem because it is unsafe as I was nearly struck by another vehicle. Recently I was traveling down the street at night and was preparing to turn left at a stop light. I stopped in the middle of the intersection to wait for the oncoming traffic to pass, when my car stalled out and all of the lights turned off (headlights, running lights, etc) making my vehicle completely invisible to traffic. I was unable to move the vehicle until I placed it in neutral and had to restart the engine and move out of the intersection. Please look further into this problem with 2006 Jeep Commanders as this is not something that should happen.

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 192009

Commander 6-cyl

While driving the dash lights went out and headlights started flashing on and off. Took it to dealer and they found no trouble. The vehicle keeps blowing rear tail light bulbs, and blower motor at times does not work on certain speeds. Cigarette lighter/power outlets stopped working even though fuse is good. Power windows intermittently stop working. The transmission went out around 62,000 miles. Had dealer replace transmission and now at 102,000 miles the transmission will loose drive when shifting into 3rd under moderate acceleration. You then have to pull off the road and put the car in park, then back in drive to regain drive. Transmission also "surges" under light throttle conditions at low speeds(10-20mph). I have contacted Jeep and their response was that because of the mileage on the vehicle they could do nothing. I feel that the flashing lights and the loss of drive while in traffic are major safety issues. I have been researching this vehicle and found may other owners with the exact same problems.

- Porter, IN, USA

Aug 012010

I purchased the 2006 Commander in June 2010. The first 6 weeks I had the vehicle I loved it. The first incident I had with the vehicle was the service park assist warning came on and stayed on for two days, then went off on its own prior to getting an appointment to have it checked. The next incident happened when I was idling in traffic at a stoplight. Every indicator light on the dash came on and the vehicle started to stall but did not completely stall out. Since that episode I have had issues with the driver side front window and passenger side rear window not functioning properly (at times won't roll up or down from either control). More recently I have had increasing episodes (two to three times per month) of the dash lighting up, headlights dimming and the vehicle losing power (so far always while parked or shifting from park to drive), as well as the service park assist warning and window issues. After hearing of a coworker with a 2007 Commander having some of the same issues I began searching the internet and have found numerous complaints of the same issues as mine. I am afraid to drive this vehicle with my children inside in the event that it would stall out on the highway and I would not be able to control it. I spoke with the dealer that sold me the vehicle yesterday and they have agreed to look at it free of charge this morning since there is no warranty on it now, but I still am not sure I want to keep this vehicle any longer. Chrysler needs to recall these vehicles and fix this issue. I used to be a die hard Jeep fan...but no longer! I am surprised that I have not found any reports of death or serious injury as a result of these electrical issues with this particular model.

- Spencer, WV, USA

Dec 292010

2006 Jeep Commander 4X4 trail rated.

- Avondale, AZ, USA