CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 022016

Commander

Vehicle stalls for no reason. Usually happens when pulling from my driveway after being parked. After driving for a few hundred yards, to the intersection of the main road. Upon hitting the brake and stopping, the vehicle stalled. If I had rolled into the intersection, I would have been right on a main road without engine running. No warning, it just stalls. I had thought it might be the ignition switch, but that was replaced already, and this happened again. This happens almost in the same place and situations every time. I start the vehicle, and without much delay, back out of my driveway. Pull down the street, make a right turn after about 40 yards. Make a left turn after about 100 yards. Then move forward to the stop sign at the main intersection about 80 yards further. Upon stopping, the vehicle stalls. It's happened about 10 times in the past 3 years, and twice in the past week. It surely is a danger, because I lose power and could roll into an intersection or cause another hazard.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jun 232016

Commander

When I am driving on the main city road or highway I notice about three things that happen all at once. The first thing is I lose control of my steering. The second thing is it feels like my Jeep went into park causing all my wheels to break for 1 to 3 second. The third thing is it feels as the engine stalled. All these things happen at the same time. This causes my Jeep to stop or stall on the road sending me and my passengers to lounge forward as if I had hit an invisible wall at full force.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Sep 152016

Commander

Interior door handle plastic housing broke on two of four doors, the driver front and passenger rear. The drive side cracked when I opened it. The passenger rear broke in half when my 5 year old daughter opened the door. This is now a safety issue as the door is very hard to open.

- Independence, MO, USA

Sep 032016

Commander

2006 Jeep Commander randomly will not start. Battery tests fine...took it to the dealer and paid over $400 and the replaced the starter and yellow solinoid cable which brings power to the starter. Still will not start occasionally. The dash lights up, but the engine doesn't turn over...wait 5 minutes and it may start at other times it won't. very frustrating, because it is random...may go a week starting fine, and then suddenly it won't start. Sometimes this happens first thing in the morning, sometimes only after short 5 minute trips to the store, and sometimes after long trips. Also, I already had the ignition switch replaced due to recall.

- Morganton, NC, USA

May 062014

Commander

Unknown reason for lost of motor oil, no observed source of a leak.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Aug 242016

Commander

Just purchased, car fax shows open recall.

- Optima, OK, USA

Jul 232014

Commander

The interior door handles crack and break: This is safety hazard trap for many consumer because you can't open the door from the inside if in an accident or in an emergency. I have been following this complaint since this vehicle came out on the market several hundred and so far nothing has been to correct this problem. Only having the consumer fix it their self which is very costly to fix. My dealer shop quoted me $500 per door and I have 2 that are badly cracked and broken : please consider a recall on the door handles and think of the safely of adults and children. This happens by just opening a door due to poor product select on the manufacturer.

- Fremont, NE, USA

Jun 132016

Commander

Regardless of distance traveled, outside temperature, the 'transmission over temp' message appears on the dash. Had coolant flushed 2X but message still appears intermittently. Had mechanic look at more than a few times, however could not replicate message and thus no resolution/fix to problem. Jeep recently had ignition switch recall completed (thought that would never happen) but 'transmission over temp' would occur prior to that recall being completed. Thought the two were connected somehow. Main concern is the engine does not overhear, temp reads below middle mark but when transmission message appears, after a few minutes, transmission feels 'off' or jumpy. Something is definitely happening. Not safe to drive, not confident taking it on long trips because of possible damage that may occur, not to mention being stranded. This is my girlfriends truck and I'm not comfortable having her drive too far, especially in the evening. His is inconvenient because we take care of our vehicles, this truck has low miles, 62,000. Would really like to resolve this because we love the trick but cannot trust taking it on trips, towing our boat which was the original purpose of having truck. What a stressful vehicle to have. Very dissatisfied with this truck. Again, the transmission over temp would occur intermittently, on the highway at times, in traffic, small trips, after sitting parked after a short trip, message reappears once truck is started again. No rhyme of reason to this.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Apr 012016

3 of 4 interior door handles broken and inoperable

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Jan 042016

Commander

The car jumps and then stalls when it is idling in reverse or drive. It also will accelerate on its own and the brakes are hard to press. This happens when the lighting bolt appears and the anti side lights on the dash, then the care either doesn't respond to pressing the gas and is harder to press the brakes. I have to restart the car for it to work. This all began after recalls being updated, it has been diagnosed as my power train control modual and that it has been recalled in other vehicles for the same reasons but there is no recall attached to my VIN according to Chrysler. Ive done research online and numerous other Jeep Commanders and other Jeep modules made around the same time are having the same issue. The problem is on going and has been for over a year but has gotten much worse after fixing of recalls a few months ago. The date below is estimate of when the recall was fixed.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Mar 012000

Commander

All 4 of my door handles on the inside are broken. The one in the back driver side is completely unuseable. I worry about the safety of anyone who gets in my car. The handles don't work. Anyone I've ever spoken to that owns one of these Jeep has the same issues. They are junk!!!! it's asking for a specific date at the bottom. They all started breaking randomly as soon as I got it.

- Covington, KY, USA

Nov 262015

Commander

I received recall letter for ignition switch problems since last year. I went to the dealer and notified about the recall, they put me on waiting list and didn't call me back. I called them and went again and they tell me just to wait. I'm tired to claim them.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Dec 182015

Commander

Passenger rear door handle insert broke during a rear end collision, it is now cracked.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jan 022016

Commander

This is in response to the recall for the ignition switch on my 2006 Jeep Commander. My vehicle has had the ignition switch replaced at the dealership but you should know that the replacement does not cure the problems that it was meant to fix. The work was completed at 9:30am and the next time I drove that day, it did the same exact shutdown as it did before (with all lights on the dash flashing).the stalling and shutdown does not occur because of hitting the key with your leg as I am only 5'4" and my leg doesn't touch the ignition. The shutdown occurs because of a short somewhere inside the ignition. It occurs randomly and sometimes can be stopped by lightly turning the key to the left. I have also found that the shutdown occurs at extreme frequency when driving in heavy rain or extremely slushy roads, which tells me that somewhere, something is getting wet and shorting the vehicle out. It is very hard to get the lights to stop flashing in this type of weather and I have had to pull over a couple times because of the danger of stalling in traffic. I am stuck with this dangerous vehicle because of my financial situation and have fought for something to be done about it by the dealer starting 20 days after I bought it but of course nothing was done until the government got involved and sadly it still hasn't cured the problem. I hope you receive more complaints and make the dealership correct the problem the right way.thank you for your time, tracy L.field

- Clarence Center, NY, USA

Nov 302015

Commander

Engine stalled without any warning lights while driving.it just died out.luckily no vehicles was following. Changes in acceleration or gear suddenly shifts/sudden acceleration while driving on the freeway starter problem.sometimes it doesnt start.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Commander

The ignition switch is the problem. I have filed a formal complaint with you.190 I received, finally, the second safety recall notice indicating that "simply contact your...Jeep...dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle....the service department at ernest motors stated that the parts are unavailable. I purchased a 2014 Nissan versa in November 2014. As a responsible driver I could not in good faith drive my Jeep. My Jeep is paid off. I am now making a car payment monthly on the Nissan versa. I received the safety recall notice, October 15, 2015. As instructed by fca I immediately phoned for a repair. It is neither honorable or responsible that I must continue to wait. I purchased that Jeep in good faith. Please advise me as how to proceed.

- Grass Valley, OR, USA

Sep 092015

Commander

I drive 26 miles one way to work and then the same back home. On my way to work September 9, 2015 I was driving 40 mph and putting on cruise control and it revved up to 7 rpms and I was doing 95 within about 20 seconds. I am unable to use cruise control because instantly it revs up and I am a danger to those on the road. So far nothing happens when the cruise control is off. It happened again today. It should be put on the recall list as this is deadly on the freeway.

- Molalla, OR, USA

Jun 112015

Commander

My airbags in my vehicle would shut off on there own then my lights started turning on and off as I drove.. thats the start..one day im driving home with my kids and my car stalls out in the middle of the road tryed everything wouldnt start but windows worked except front and lights but no power. I had it towed to Jeep and they insisted it was my battery.I go get my truck and as im driving all my lights come back on and all my gauges no longer worked, airbags no longer worked. They put it on the computer and P41 code came on which is my ignition switch recall from Chrysler.Jeep had me contact Chrysler and they said that part wont be available no time soon and they were going to put me in a rental. The next day Chrysler contacted Jeep and then Jeep said they have no idea its some electrical but they cant guarantee so I called the manager and told them its unacceptable I am without a car because Chrysler wont fix the recall its a safety issue and they told me they cant do anything

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 012013

Commander

Driver side rear door handle breaks easily which could prevent someone from opening door from inside in the event of crash, fire or water incident. I have owned 2 of this same car - same make model and year, and both cars had the same identical problem.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Jun 062014

Commander

Prior to 06-06-14 @115,616 miles began noticing issues with vehicle not starting. After several attempts vehicle would start. However knowing this was a re-occurring issue the vehicle was taken to the service dept. To be inspected (dealership of purchase and all maintenance/repairs performed at same location). 23 point inspection preformed, starter was checked out and found to be bad. The starter assembly was replaced. 12-29-14 @ 121,251 miles regular maintenance programed followed (I.e.) lube, oil and filter. 23 point inspection preformed for the 120,000 miles service: Replaced the air filter and PCV valve, flushed the cooling system, replaced rear wiper blades, removed throttle body and cleaned, induction service, replaced the frt crank seal, cleaned and replaced the serpt belt. Replaced the frt brake pads and rotors. 01-13-15 @ 121,854 miles vehicle taken to service dept. Due to engine light coming on and flashing while driving to work the day before. Very alarming situation related to engine light on and flashing, vehicle seeming to have poor acceleration and not wanting to pick up any speed even when gas pedal pressed. Tested and checked, traced found #3 injector, wiring and connector "chewed up". the injector and connector assembly were replaced. System retested. 05-11-15 @ 124,424 miles perform lube, oil and filter at service dept. 06-29-15 @ 125,572 miles vehicle's engine light on. Taken to service department. 3 or 4 codes on diagnostic test. Could be engine misfire or transmission. Codes cleared told to bring back in if engine light comes on again. Next day engine light back on and vehicle back to service dept..injector #4 bleeding:replace injector, spark plugs and preformed induction service. "nothing you could have done to prevent it has to do w/ seals inside engine." Temp sensor in transmission replaced, torque converter replaced.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA