CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 262016

Commander

Problem with ignition switch causes dash not to work and car not to be able to start most of time. Key does not stay in proper position in ignition. Vehicle is stationary and in motion when this happens while driving on city streets.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Jan 042017

Commander

On christmas I backed the Jeep out of the driveway so I could drive my truck. Bumped the curb slightly while parking and vehicle died. Started right back up so I didn't think much of it. Today my wife took the kids to school in it and ran fine. Parked for two hours and went to start and it will crank but not turn over. Fuel guage doesn't read correctly. At full it says half a tank and while you are driving it may drop to below empty with a full tank. I have been reading all the reports about the 2006 Commander and a lot of people seem to be having this starting problem. I haul my family around in it because we can't all fit in my truck but I don't feel safe in it because you never know when it's gonna cut out and die. My kids range from 1 week to 11 and I don't really want them in it. I'm thinking it a fuel pump or wiring issue. Both issues occurred in my driveway or right in front of my house.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Dec 122016

Commander

2006 Jeep Commander 4X4 dies at low speed. Almost caused accident on freeway. Had the ignition recall taken care of. Hoping that it was the problem. It was not... now trying to sell vehicle and don't want to cuz I would have to have someone else get hurt. In that death trap the Jeep now sits in my side yard my wife refuses to drive it. I'm looking for any ideas on what to do? please help

- Concord, CA, USA

Jul 202016

Commander

For the passed 3 years our vehicle has switched gears from drive to 3rd gear, while driving. The vehicle jolts and changes gear for a few months and returns back to normal. We continue to use it at 3rd gear. There is no way to change it back to drive mannually. We've taken it in to auto shops and the symptoms return.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 022016

Commander

Vehicle stalls for no reason. Usually happens when pulling from my driveway after being parked. After driving for a few hundred yards, to the intersection of the main road. Upon hitting the brake and stopping, the vehicle stalled. If I had rolled into the intersection, I would have been right on a main road without engine running. No warning, it just stalls. I had thought it might be the ignition switch, but that was replaced already, and this happened again. This happens almost in the same place and situations every time. I start the vehicle, and without much delay, back out of my driveway. Pull down the street, make a right turn after about 40 yards. Make a left turn after about 100 yards. Then move forward to the stop sign at the main intersection about 80 yards further. Upon stopping, the vehicle stalls. It's happened about 10 times in the past 3 years, and twice in the past week. It surely is a danger, because I lose power and could roll into an intersection or cause another hazard.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jun 232016

Commander

When I am driving on the main city road or highway I notice about three things that happen all at once. The first thing is I lose control of my steering. The second thing is it feels like my Jeep went into park causing all my wheels to break for 1 to 3 second. The third thing is it feels as the engine stalled. All these things happen at the same time. This causes my Jeep to stop or stall on the road sending me and my passengers to lounge forward as if I had hit an invisible wall at full force.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Sep 152016

Commander

Interior door handle plastic housing broke on two of four doors, the driver front and passenger rear. The drive side cracked when I opened it. The passenger rear broke in half when my 5 year old daughter opened the door. This is now a safety issue as the door is very hard to open.

- Independence, MO, USA

Sep 032016

Commander

2006 Jeep Commander randomly will not start. Battery tests fine...took it to the dealer and paid over $400 and the replaced the starter and yellow solinoid cable which brings power to the starter. Still will not start occasionally. The dash lights up, but the engine doesn't turn over...wait 5 minutes and it may start at other times it won't. very frustrating, because it is random...may go a week starting fine, and then suddenly it won't start. Sometimes this happens first thing in the morning, sometimes only after short 5 minute trips to the store, and sometimes after long trips. Also, I already had the ignition switch replaced due to recall.

- Morganton, NC, USA

May 062014

Commander

Unknown reason for lost of motor oil, no observed source of a leak.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Aug 242016

Commander

Just purchased, car fax shows open recall.

- Optima, OK, USA

Jul 232014

Commander

The interior door handles crack and break: This is safety hazard trap for many consumer because you can't open the door from the inside if in an accident or in an emergency. I have been following this complaint since this vehicle came out on the market several hundred and so far nothing has been to correct this problem. Only having the consumer fix it their self which is very costly to fix. My dealer shop quoted me $500 per door and I have 2 that are badly cracked and broken : please consider a recall on the door handles and think of the safely of adults and children. This happens by just opening a door due to poor product select on the manufacturer.

- Fremont, NE, USA

Jun 132016

Commander

Regardless of distance traveled, outside temperature, the 'transmission over temp' message appears on the dash. Had coolant flushed 2X but message still appears intermittently. Had mechanic look at more than a few times, however could not replicate message and thus no resolution/fix to problem. Jeep recently had ignition switch recall completed (thought that would never happen) but 'transmission over temp' would occur prior to that recall being completed. Thought the two were connected somehow. Main concern is the engine does not overhear, temp reads below middle mark but when transmission message appears, after a few minutes, transmission feels 'off' or jumpy. Something is definitely happening. Not safe to drive, not confident taking it on long trips because of possible damage that may occur, not to mention being stranded. This is my girlfriends truck and I'm not comfortable having her drive too far, especially in the evening. His is inconvenient because we take care of our vehicles, this truck has low miles, 62,000. Would really like to resolve this because we love the trick but cannot trust taking it on trips, towing our boat which was the original purpose of having truck. What a stressful vehicle to have. Very dissatisfied with this truck. Again, the transmission over temp would occur intermittently, on the highway at times, in traffic, small trips, after sitting parked after a short trip, message reappears once truck is started again. No rhyme of reason to this.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Apr 012016

3 of 4 interior door handles broken and inoperable

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Jan 042016

Commander

The car jumps and then stalls when it is idling in reverse or drive. It also will accelerate on its own and the brakes are hard to press. This happens when the lighting bolt appears and the anti side lights on the dash, then the care either doesn't respond to pressing the gas and is harder to press the brakes. I have to restart the car for it to work. This all began after recalls being updated, it has been diagnosed as my power train control modual and that it has been recalled in other vehicles for the same reasons but there is no recall attached to my VIN according to Chrysler. Ive done research online and numerous other Jeep Commanders and other Jeep modules made around the same time are having the same issue. The problem is on going and has been for over a year but has gotten much worse after fixing of recalls a few months ago. The date below is estimate of when the recall was fixed.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Mar 012000

Commander

All 4 of my door handles on the inside are broken. The one in the back driver side is completely unuseable. I worry about the safety of anyone who gets in my car. The handles don't work. Anyone I've ever spoken to that owns one of these Jeep has the same issues. They are junk!!!! it's asking for a specific date at the bottom. They all started breaking randomly as soon as I got it.

- Covington, KY, USA

Nov 262015

Commander

I received recall letter for ignition switch problems since last year. I went to the dealer and notified about the recall, they put me on waiting list and didn't call me back. I called them and went again and they tell me just to wait. I'm tired to claim them.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Dec 182015

Commander

Passenger rear door handle insert broke during a rear end collision, it is now cracked.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jan 022016

Commander

This is in response to the recall for the ignition switch on my 2006 Jeep Commander. My vehicle has had the ignition switch replaced at the dealership but you should know that the replacement does not cure the problems that it was meant to fix. The work was completed at 9:30am and the next time I drove that day, it did the same exact shutdown as it did before (with all lights on the dash flashing).the stalling and shutdown does not occur because of hitting the key with your leg as I am only 5'4" and my leg doesn't touch the ignition. The shutdown occurs because of a short somewhere inside the ignition. It occurs randomly and sometimes can be stopped by lightly turning the key to the left. I have also found that the shutdown occurs at extreme frequency when driving in heavy rain or extremely slushy roads, which tells me that somewhere, something is getting wet and shorting the vehicle out. It is very hard to get the lights to stop flashing in this type of weather and I have had to pull over a couple times because of the danger of stalling in traffic. I am stuck with this dangerous vehicle because of my financial situation and have fought for something to be done about it by the dealer starting 20 days after I bought it but of course nothing was done until the government got involved and sadly it still hasn't cured the problem. I hope you receive more complaints and make the dealership correct the problem the right way.thank you for your time, tracy L.field

- Clarence Center, NY, USA

Nov 302015

Commander

Engine stalled without any warning lights while driving.it just died out.luckily no vehicles was following. Changes in acceleration or gear suddenly shifts/sudden acceleration while driving on the freeway starter problem.sometimes it doesnt start.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Commander

The ignition switch is the problem. I have filed a formal complaint with you.190 I received, finally, the second safety recall notice indicating that "simply contact your...Jeep...dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle....the service department at ernest motors stated that the parts are unavailable. I purchased a 2014 Nissan versa in November 2014. As a responsible driver I could not in good faith drive my Jeep. My Jeep is paid off. I am now making a car payment monthly on the Nissan versa. I received the safety recall notice, October 15, 2015. As instructed by fca I immediately phoned for a repair. It is neither honorable or responsible that I must continue to wait. I purchased that Jeep in good faith. Please advise me as how to proceed.

- Grass Valley, OR, USA