Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 012013

I purchased the Commander in September 2012. It ran great for a few months and then it started to stall. I replaced the maps sensor and tps sensor and it's still stalling. The stalling is at random and has happened many time while I was on the highway going 65+. that's exteremly dangerous and this issue should have been resolved by now. Doing research online I know see that there is thousands of people with this very same issue and no one has successfully resolved it. There is an obvious defect with this Jeep and Chrysler needs to be held accountable. I blame myself for not doing any proper research before purchasing. I will never buy another Chrysler product again.

- Kenosha , WI, USA

Aug 172013

I have just purchased this used 2006 Jeep Commander 1 week ago. The vehicle is in great condition, no previous accidents, no engine lights/error codes. On the 2nd day of owning the Jeep I experienced my first stall, and since then 4 more stalls. There is no engine lights, error codes, etc. The vehicle seems to be 100% okay, however the vehicle has just shut off 4 times losing brakes, steering, lights, etc - whether I am moving or at a stop. At first I thought "I must have bought a lemon" but I have been reading through several forums and blogs that there are 100's if not 1,000's of people who are experiencing the same issue with their 5.7L hemi Commander, and some of the blogs date back to 2006 when these vehicles were brand new with less than a thousand miles on them. One person actually suffered an accident due to this electrical issue - losing control of steering and brakes. Because their is no engine codes or lights dealerships are not assessing the issue at all or are just throwing parts at it hoping it is fixed and charging the customer a boat load of money. Several people have identified that the issue potentially resides in the PCM and the ignition coils, some say that the coils put of an em interference that is disrupting the PCM. Regardless - Chrysler needs to get this fixed so no one else gets hurt, or killed.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Mar 272013

Commander 8-cyl

I bought this car from a used dealership I have only owned this vehicle for about 3 months. Have been having trouble for the last month and a half. And it all began on the interstate. I was traveling on the interstate doing about 75 and it just shut off in the middle of a cluster of cars and I had to go over 2 lanes to get to the shoulder. I lost steering and brakes within 10 seconds. One of the most scariest rides ever. I am now afraid to travel on the interstate with this vehicle. Since this has happened it has shut off an additional 5 times I took it to the dealership cause the engine light was on and they said it was a map sensor, I have replaced this twice already. Now it doesn't idle right and looses power in between 30 and 35 mph. And the engine light has once again came on. Haven't had it checked yet cause it is a Saturday night guess I will have to take it somewhere on Monday.

- Decatur, TN, USA

Oct 172012

Approx 2 miles from work - making a right hand turn at a light. Hazards on - taking precaution... car behind me. Once I make the turn my car completely shuts off again. No brakes not steering - nothing... my car just happened to coast to the right as it is.... car behind missed me by an inch of slamming into me. Waited a good 1/2 hour - my husband came and drove it the rest of the way to the work parking lot. I called Jeep in lugoff SC and like every other dealership out there - they have no memory of hearing of any 2006 - 2007 Jeep Commander problems. I have called chyrsler care 8009921997 - dealerships... they all make me out to be crazy. I am going to report them to the BBB as well. I have 3 children - 9,8, and 20 mths old. Chrysler must be waiting for someone to get killed.... I normally take the hwy to work - but today for some reason I decided to head to work on a back road..... I can not believe with all the issues and complaints I have read about this same problem - that it is even legal to sell this car used, ...

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Jul 232012

Jeep Commander 2006 completely shut down, steering locked up and the brakes locked up, while going in motion. Could have been in a fatal accident. Happened several times before reaching destination. Dealer stated that the control module needed to be replaced.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Oct 052010

Multiple times; while driving vehicle stalls. Vehicle fluctuates while idling and then finally stalls.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Sep 122011

This has happened twice, I was driving home from work at 55mph with my new born child, and the engine shut off, the electirc shut off and the power sterring quit. The car behind me almost smashed into me. The Jeep came to a stop and then I turned the key and it turned back on. Please help me!

- Bollivia , NC, USA

May 252006

Commander 6-cyl

Since the first few months that I owned this 2006 Jeep Commander it has randomly shut down while I am driving. I have noticed that it happens more often in the summer. It has been taken in and had PCM reprogramming, parts replaced, and other work. At the time we purchased it my husband was the GM at the dealership. The tech's tried everything. Since then the dealership has switched to another automotive group. I have contacted several Jeep service departments and many say there is nothing they can do. They are aware of the problem, but have no solutions other than what has already been done. I drive on highways with my two children often and several times it has cut off when speed limits where 65+ mph. I do not want to pass this problem along to another owner. I managed service departments for years and know how to react to problems, but I am concerned that Jeep has done nothing to fix this. I know of several other owners who purchased vehicles at the same time who had the same problem. Many have been traded in and now new owners are having to deal with this dangerous condition.

- Cedar Point, NC, USA

Oct 162010

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander limited. I was driving home this morning and all off a sudden just before I went to turn into my driveway the steering went stiff and started making a whining can hardly steer it at all...I think the power steering pump or the rack and pinion steering is toast...its a huge job as for you have to drop the front diff to replace..very expensive and is not under my warrant....vehicle is only at 80,000 km now...I bought it used last week and have only drove it for 1,500km...not cool!! why is this happening on so many Jeep!!"???? Chrysler not doing a thing about it???? safe??".....I don't think so!

- Didsbury Ab. T0m 0w0, 00, USA

Feb 192010

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact was driving approximately 2 mph in reverse, there was a clicking noise and the vehicle started to shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the failure was contributed to the power steering. The vehicle was repaired. Prior to the repair the vehicle was taken to two independent mechanics; however, a diagnostic test was not performed, and the second mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure and current mileages were 37,000.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Feb 232009

I was driving my Jeep Commander home from work. I turned the corner and the Jeep abruptly stopped moving. It felt like I hit a cement block. The Jeep would not move backward or forward. I got out to see what happened, and to my amazement I saw the front right tire folded underneath the vehicle. Because of the way it was positioned, it had not changed the height of the vehicle. When the tow truck pulled it onto the flatbed, the tire dislodged and the front end crashed to the ground, smashing it. In the morning I determined that the ball joint broke and the tire came off the axel. I am lucky to be alive because I drive all day for work and could easily have been on the highway. My wife could have been driving. We are afraid that even if we get this repaired that maybe it will happen again. This should not be an issue with only 70K miles and a vehicle that has been well maintained by a Jeep dealer.

- Athol, MA, USA

Jan 012006

Commander 4WD

My 2006 Commander with 40,000 miles has had the following problems since it came off the lot. The vehicle stalls and I obviously lose power and steering but there are no error messages in the computer, the 4WD does not engage - the warning light for that comes on but there's no error message in the computer. The window's roll up and down incorrectly - the gasket on the exhaust manifold has been replaced and the kicker of all problems is when the vehicle goes through a minor puddle of water or the automatic car wash the steering wheel locks completely until the water is gone - try driving that in the rain - Jeep was finally able to duplicate that problem by putting a garden hose under the car and squirting water on the underside of the vehicle - this problem apparently cannot be fixed and they can't believe that no other Jeep owner's aren't throwing fits. So much for the lemon law - the steering problem wasn't taken seriously by the previous Jeep dealers -I went to a different dealer altogether however, it's too late.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Dec 052007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

November 24 evening leaving fuji (children in car) November 30 morning on way to work ? hit mailbox (baby in car) December 5 morning on way to work ? dies turning out of subdivision and stalls in middle of street (baby in car) there was one other instance when I had all kids with me?it was prior to Nov 24 but I do not recall the actual date all of the instances the engine stalled, the lights (when on) went out, I lost the ability to steer and brake as well. The mph ranged from 4 or 5 mph to 35 mph. There were times when it was warm and days that it was cold. Nothing seemed to standout as a possible "trigger" I took car to dealer after the November 24th incident. Tony in the service department said there was really nothing that they could do unless it was a problem they could "make happen" when they drove it. A few days later I wrecked into a mailbox when my Jeep stalled and I lost steering and braking capability....I am lucky it was not head on with a large truck or a tree.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 152007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My wife's Jeep completely shut down while going 45 miles an hour and she went off of the road. This happened less than a month after we took it to the Jeep dealership to have fixed. They said as im sure every one who has put in an apparent useless complaint that " no errors are coming up and there doesn't seem to be a problem. " what bothers me the most about this is that Jeep has not issued any statement after the countless complaints keep filing in. Just because no error message is coming up when it is plugged in doesn't mean these hundreds of Jeep Commander owners are lying about what is happening. I have another appointment tomorrow. This exercise is getting old. It should not have to take a death from some one driving these vehicles to have Chrysler do something about this. I have read many of these complaints that other concerned drivers have put in. Apparently this site doesn't get chrslers attention.

- Lowell , AR, USA

Sep 092007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Since the beginning of ownership, this car has stalled many times (as well as other various and odd electrical problems.) many times I can turn the car off and on and it will restart. This does happen in parking lots and highway speeds as well. I have also lost power steering and brakes when in parking lots at a very slow acceleration speed. I have also had air bag warning lights go on and stay on then randomly shut off. The dealer has tried to help resolve but is limited by Chrysler's ability to recognize that there is a problem. If there is no code in the cars computer, there is no problem and can't be duplicated. If the problem can't be duplicated, there is no repair. But it keeps happening over and over. I have filed a complaint with Chrysler with no resolve. The dealership has had my car and drove it for 3 weeks to try to duplicate the problem. Since it is so random and they just didn't get enough time/miles in, the problem didn't happen. It stalled again about 3 weeks after that pulling out of my driveway. There has been no repair, because Chrysler says there is no problem. I have been in the middle of an intersection with a 15 year old on a permit driving with oncoming traffic. I have had this car since March 2006 and this has been occurring many times repeatedly since then. Not all have been documented and because it occasionally happens on weekends or holidays, I have no ability to get it in to a dealership. In order for them to be able to read a code, I would have to leave the car in a stalled position wherever it occurred and have it towed directly to the dealer. This is highly impractical and unsafe. Especially scary at high speeds on the highway. I do not want to be a casualty of Chrysler's failure to recognize that there are thousands of these vehicles out there doing this exact same thing. Do a "google" search see the #'s! something needs to be done!!!

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Aug 282006

Loss of steering when raining and vehicle is driven through puddles of water on the roadway.

- Tuscumbia, AL, USA

Nov 152006

Commander 4WD

I purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander last year. I have had the following items replaced on my Jeep front passenger interior door panel. Strange noise coming from my car that sounded like playing cards in bike tires ended with replacing front axel ring and pinion. Car kept popping out of gear the entire gear shift was replaced. My passenger window had to be fixed it kept sticking halfway up. I had a problem where my car kept stalling. I was told the first time that no error appears on the computer and Jeep knew of no issue with cars stalling so maybe it was bad gas. It died several more times and finally they did replace a part inside the idol. I also had an issue where my headlights kept turning off as I drove or would flash on and off. They replaced the headlight switch. I have had the rubber stripping from my back driver side window come off and now it is occurring on the passenger side. From the beginning I have told them I do not feel my transmission is working properly that it shifts hard and when I shift from reverse to drive there is a big hesitation. I have been told no error is appearing on computer and that Jeep as usual has no known issues so they had no suggestions. Once again they thought it was a gas issue moving from winter to summer blend. The last time I had it in when it was stalling I told them it the transmission was still hesitating and would make a pop noise at times then it would go. It is still occurring and at times the car acts like it might not shift into drive. I am satisfied with how my dealership is working with me they are doing their best to help me. I blame Jeep/Chrysler all you have to do is search the web to see that there are so many others just like me with the exact same issue. They need to recall these cars now and if they can not find the problem then replace them for us.

- Wyoming, IL, USA

Apr 202007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep comander. While driving 25 mph the engine stalled and he lost power steering control. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The mechanic stated that he was familiar with this failure. The mileage was 15,000 at the time of purchase. The failure mileage was 15550, and the current mileage was 15900.

- Seaford, DE, USA