CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments

Jan 152008

Commander 8-cyl

On several occasions while driving my 2006 Jeep Commander all of a sudden it will lose power and the dash warning lights will start flashing. I try stepping on the accelerator to get it to go, but it does not respond, this will last for about 15 seconds or so then the vehicle will regain power, the dash lights will stop flashing, but, the esp/bas lights stay on for a longer time. And the one with the vehicle and skid marks. On one occasion the vehicle stalled out completely¿.and turned off I had to maneuver through traffic to coast to the side of road to restart the engine¿although the 2 lights remained on the vehicle did go. The consumer was informed the problem was with the PCM and that it had to be reflashed. The consumer discovered there was a recall for the exact problem she was experiencing. Updated 08/13/08

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jun 102008

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander with a recall for powertrain control module reprogramming. Consumer states that the mechanic replaced the transmission filters. He also states that the reprogramming didn't change anything the vehicle still stalled.

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Sep 202007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I have experienced 3 separate accidents on May 31 2006, August 2 2006 and September 20 2007 with the 2006 Jeep Commander limited. I had just left the stop sign in the first accident and proceeded into the intersection of a 2-way stop. My vehicle stalled and I collided with a Grand Am. The driver of that vehicle has filed a civil action against me in which metlife auto & casualty has hired an attorney to represent me. I was found to be primarily at fault for this accident. The lawsuit is claiming I was negligent. The second accident occurred when I was turning around to get a better "shot" into a private driveway. I successfully turned around in a parking area across the street from the driveway and I was in the process of entering the driveway when my vehicle stalled and my driver side front bumper was struck, breaking the tie rod. The police and the other party's insurance found the other driver who was 93 to be at fault for the accident. The third accident occurred on September 20 2007, when I was attempting to turn left on a green light from a turn lane. I was in the process of turning left when another driver who was speeding collided with my vehicle which had stalled during the left hand turn. The passenger front bumper was damaged including a broken tie rod. The other driver's insurance has determined I am primarily at fault for that accident.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Sep 132007

Commander 6-cyl

I purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander in Oct. 2005 from mccune Chrysler Jeep in national city, ca. Initially, I started noticing my brakes shimmying as I came to a stop. I reported to my dealership a few times but no good came out of it. Then, last Thursday, Sept. 13, I noticed my dashboard lights (electrical system, brakes and transmission lights) flashing on and off as I accelerated from a stop and headed uphill. It felt as though the Jeep wanted to stop and go at the same time. I reported it to my dealership and brought in the vehicle the next week. The dealership quoted me $190 to analyze it (since my Jeep was about 8,000 miles beyond the warranty period). Then, they told me that it would cost me over $400 to repair the vehicle even though they did not know what was wrong with it. I began to research the internet about recalls on this make and model and found that Chrysler had issued a recall on Friday, Sept. 14, 2007. I printed the article and brought it to my service rep at mccune. The rep insisted that it was not my problem and that his dealership had not heard of a recall on my make and model. So, I called Chrysler's customer service department in oak ridge, tn. The representatives there insisted that there was no recall. Frustrated, I accepted the dealerships offer to repair my vehicle. They quoted me a $100 deductible to place the vehicle under warranty. As I drove off, the same thing happened all over again. I called the service advisor and explained what had happened. He insisted that he test drove the vehicle and the lights never came on. I didn't believe him. I feel that he mislead me and that his dealership never repaired my vehicle. I will bring my vehicle back to mccune Monday morning (9/24/07) and I will see what will happen. I paid for a rental vehicle last week (over $100 and the dealership never offered to cover my expenses. I am so frustrated.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Feb 232006

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Many times when making a left turn into traffic or a U-turn the vehicle with shut down and lose all power for 1-2 seconds. You can put your foot to the floor and the Jeep moves just enough to get you into and intersection then loses power. Instinct is to push the throttle all the way to avoid an accident, but then after a few seconds all the power comes back and the vehicle leaps at full throttle almost sending you into a spin. This as happened numerous times, but the dealer has no fix.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Nov 182006

Commander 6-cyl

Brought car on 10/02/06.

- Bedford, NY, USA

Nov 272006

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander stalls at speeds under 10 mph. Typically at stop signs and stop lights, when it is time to go.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Jul 232006

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

1st occurrence of the stalling/dying: 7/23/06. Vehicle was moving at a slow speed making a right hand turn. The vehicle lost power (no response when pushing on the gas pedal and the power steering also failed). Driver had to put the vehicle into park from drive, turn the key to the off position and then back to the start position. The 2nd occurrence was on 8/9/06 12:30 pm. At a stoplight on a hill waiting to turn left. The light turned, the car in front of her accelerated and when driver took her foot off of the brake to apply the gas and the car began to roll backwards. After this occurrence, driver called the dealership and spoke with a svc advisor. Driver described the symptoms and they said they had heard of this happening on some other Commanders and that they knew the part that typically fixed it. Driver made appt to bring in for service. Vehicle dropped off 8/10/06. Call from svc dept. 8/11/2006 and stated tech tested found a bad map sensor. They replaced the sensor and said the problem should be resolved. The 3rd occurrence happened on 8/15/06 7:40 am. Driver was stopped waiting for traffic to clear to make a right turn onto highway 212 from 222nd drive. At this point, driver called dealership and asked to speak with a service adviser and said she would be bringing the vehicle back in as it wasn't fixed. The 4th occurrence happened 8/15/06 5:50 pm while the vehicle was in motion on highway 217 driving to the northwest Jeep dealership. Driver was in slow rush hour traffic- 5-10 ph. Depressed the gas pedal to accelerate to keep up with traffic and the car just continued to coast with no acceleration. She had to put the vehicle in park, turn the key to the off position, start the car again and then stop on the highway to put car back into drive.

- Gresham, OR, USA