2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 032014

Grand Cherokee

I own a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland. Recently, I have had problems with my drivers side heated seat. Yesterday, it got extremely hot so I shut if off for fear of a fire or being burnt, and today it is not working at all. Because of this, I am also concerned about the safety of the passenger heated seat. I found out from a dealer that there is a recall on this particular issue, but my VIN number is not covered. I called Chrysler customer care to discuss this, and they said they were unable to help. I feel this is a known issue and my vehicle is displaying the exact symptoms covered in this recall, yet for some unexplainable vehicle it has been excluded. The following is text from the recall: Summary: Chrysler is recalling 102,354 M/Y 2001-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles with heated seats and with Chrysler recall no. 06V-197 completed (03-04 M/Y) or seat heater elements service replacement (01-02 my). The front seat electric heater elements could overheat. Consequence: Overheating could potentially cause a fire or injury. Remedy: Dealers will replace the front seat heater elements free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided an owner notification schedule. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403.

- Grand Lake, CO, USA

May 012012

Grand Cherokee

My power steering went out, the air conditioner quit working, the air bags light will not go off, headlights come on and off when no one is in the vehicle, the electrical sensors are inoperable, and the heated seats get too hot, or not work at all. I have yet to receive any recalls for my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland. I would like to know why I have not received any recall notices for the problems that have prompted Chrysler to issue recall notices for above issues.

- Winston, OR, USA

Jul 072010

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

This Jeep has failed me in every way possible. Its unsafe and unreliable. At 68K the transmission went out in the middle of a dangerous highway almost wrecked, Jeep said sorry warranty ran out at 65K. All 4 windows have fell out with a bang, multiple sensors have gone out, relay sensor, all shocks that hold up hood and lift gates have failed. Radiator sprung a leak on Monday and parking brake failed/broke/took it in for the airbag check on May 16 two months ago and its is one of the bad ones..was told parts were ordered. Now the light is on and wont go off..was told I have no airbag at all that will deploy... very unsafe and unfair. Now its inspection time with this mess and no fix from Jeep. They need to handle this and get sued...they have put my life in danger many times.

- Fairfax , VA, USA

Mar 012013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Safety recall M35/NHTSA 12V-527 orc module airbag light is "on" and "seat belt" lights. Warning lights are on and do not go off. I took the car to the dealership in roswell, N.M. and they informed me the parts were unavailable and that Chrysler would contact me. To date this has not happened. The danger is a inadvertent deployment of the front airbags.. damage to the computer chip. The problem has now involved the seat belt warning lights to stay "on".

- Roswell, NM, USA

Feb 192012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the instrument panel failed. The manufacturer was notified who stated the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 01V288000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 195,000.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Nov 302012

Grand Cherokee

Chrysler announced a recall of my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee M35/NHTSA 12V-527 informing me that there was "a small chance of an electrical overstress could occur and if this overstress condition occur, it could cause damage to the orc computer chip causing the airbag light to illuminate, followed almost immediately by an inadvertent deployment of the front or side airbag! inadvertent deployment of the airbags may increase the risk of injury and the possibility of a vehicle crash." Chrysler intends to repair my vehicle, however; the part is currently not available. Why is it taking Chrysler sooo long with producing this part"?" I contacted my local Chrysler dealership only to find out, the dealer had no knowledge of this recall and could not advise if my vehicle was even safe to drive. This is extremely poor customer service and needs to be resolved, asap. It would appear since this vehicle is more than 10+ years old Chrysler does not have any intentions on the repair and does not want to accept liability if an accident occurs while I am driving it. Again, extremely poor customer service!!!!!!!

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving, burning fumes were emitted into the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact realized that a resistor under the dash board started to melt. The contact also mentioned that the heated seat and heater malfunctioned and were no longer operable. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 160,000 and the current mileage was 167,000.

- Circleville, OH, USA

Mar 202009

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

March of 2009, I told my daughters dad the electrical system were not working right. It started with the electrical door locks that work on and off for days. He came over to switch cars because I didn't feel safe in it. With in two days of him driving it, on his way home from work that night the car caught a fire. I was still making payments on a car I no longer had. I couldn't afford to continued payment and buy another car. So I try to purchase online and was scam out of $2000 that August. I were put in credit bureau for it and had to make arrangements to pay it off. I received a recall notice today about the orc computer chips. That can deploy causing injury and you to crash. I called the number to express my concern, the person that answer had no compassion. He first up dated my info and once he learned the car caught on fire he had nothing else to say, other then oh you no longer have the car, he got quite and said thank you for calling. Good bye

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 252012

Grand Cherokee

I was driving on university approaching the stop light on 66th St in lubbock tx, as slowing down from approximately 35 mph, I heard an overwhelming loud bang come from the front of the Jeep, it shook the entire vehicle it felt like I had hit someones car. I was getting leaving lubbock headed home to plainview. Me and my daughter stopped at walmart where I left my vehicle idling for no more than three to ten minutes max. I came out from walmart and smoke was coming from my car. Antifreeze was spilt out everywhere and the person parked next me that my car had overheated and to let it cool down before driving it again. I came back to lubbock yesterday with my daughter and I almost stalled on the highway but was able to make into the walmart parking lot. A friend pointed out the radiator fan was all busted up. The Jeep will not start and is in the parking lot at the walmart on ave. Q in lubbock. Trying to figure out why it will not start up I believe it could be the radiator relay.

- Plainview, TX, USA

Sep 052006

Grand Cherokee

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to several expenses related to vehicle and requests reimbursement the consumer stated the front brakes which included the rotors master cylinder, left rear seal axle, bearing, snap ring had to be replaced more than once on different occasions. Also, the vehicle broke down on several occasions and smoke was emitting from the vehicle on one of those occasions. It was discovered the relay fan radiator fan needed to be replaced. The transduce pressure sensor, solenoid, transmission gov and gasket were replaced at a cost of $ $530.50. The consumer stated the horn began blaring for no apparent reason and then stopped working/ two days later, all the gauges in the vehicle went to zero and all the interior lights illuminated and the windows did not work. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and a diagnostics test revealed an electrical problem. Updated 11/10/11 updated 11/22/11.

- Slatington, PA, USA

Nov 032008

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I bought my 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 05 with about 50,000 miles on it. Sometime in 08 the blower motor started working off and on. After about 3 years I did some research and found that the most likely cause was the blower motor resister. After checking, I notice that the resistor harness had been melted. I did some more research and found that this was quite common. This should be a recall item because this is a serious fire hazard. If the wires were hot enough to melt the plastic sheathing, what's to stop it from causing a fire in an unsuspecting consumer's Jeep? I was fortunate enough to have caught this early on, but if I wasn't, the cost of "what if" is not one I, my wife, or children are willing to pay.

- Spokane , WA, USA

Jan 102011

Grand Cherokee

Turn signals only work intermittently. I have seen numerous reports of this as a problem with Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo vehicles made in 2002 and 2003, possibly other years. This absolutely should be under recall. Please take this into consideration. Thank you.

- Humboldt, TN, USA

Dec 262010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Electrical system:wiring:interior/under dash. NHTSA campaign id number : 01V288000 my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee is having electrical issues of this nature. Car lost directionals and heater/defroster, brake lights on highway. All electrical related.

- Nahant, MA, USA

Nov 152002

Grand Cherokee

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited (wj), electrical wires melting at blower motor controller (resistor block) for heater /ac interior fan. Fire hazard as this circuit is hot even when the vehicle is off. Poor contact between the wire female spade connector and the blower motor controller male spade terminal caused excessive heat which resulted in the wires being charred and the blower motor controller housing melting. Device is located under the dashboard on the passenger side. I am ordering a harness and heater resistor to remedy this manufacturer defect. While my car did not catch on fire, this is clearly a fire hazard that should be addressed by the manufacturer.

- Farmington, MN, USA

Mar 292010

Grand Cherokee

The heater failed in my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is apparently a very common problem in this model. Previously the seat heaters overheated and the power steering hose failed.

- Ukiah , CA, USA

Jan 022010

Grand Cherokee

Driver's side heated seat got extremely hot and has since quit working. Called dealer and Chrysler/Jeep and both say it is not covered under the current recall #J14. I see where there are 17 under the "seat" heading of component and others under the electrical heading. This should be a recall someday and soon.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jan 012010

Grand Cherokee

Key won't turn in ignition, steering wheel locked, car won't shift out of park. This is the first time I've had this issue. Car had to be towed to auto repair shop.

- Minneapolis , MN, USA

Oct 022009

Grand Cherokee

The heater on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee only works approx. 25% of the time. The person I purchased it from said it only happened to her every so often, but that it had gotten worse. Since I've owned it, it has continued to get progressively worse. I'm concerned as winter is approaching and I'll need to see out the windshield and will need a heat defroster for it living here in Nebraska. This is a long known problem and I'm shocked that Chrysler has not recalled this problem as it poses major safety implications. I've worked on cars for 15 years and have never heard of a heater going bad. As any mechanic out there, heaters don't go bad unless the whole heater core is bad, in which case I'd have a floor full of anti-freeze, which I do not have. My Jeep has not lost an ounce of fluid and runs at perfect operating temperature. It's an obvious electrical problem that Jeep should be held accountable for! there are numerous posts on numerous forms with hoards of people having the same problem that Jeep is charging $1500 to fix. Talk about a scam!!!

- Springfield, NE, USA

Jun 032008

Grand Cherokee

The contacts owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ever since the vehicle was purchased, the contact has experienced brake failure. While driving at various speeds, the brake pedal will extend to the floor as if there were pressure loss. The contact must literally stand on the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. Also, the wiring on the instrument panel that controls the air conditioning fan has failed. The dealer stated that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Nov 222008

Grand Cherokee

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, limited, 4X4 1. I noticed that vehicles HVAC is not functioning correctly. Could cause some obstructed views in passenger compartment from not working properly. 2. failure occurs everyday when vehicle is running 3. I'm currently in the process of repairing this defect.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA