2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Aug 182011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Drivers door lock button would not work, rolling locks in-operable no windows work with drivers door open while in park or any door open dome light would not time out unless vehicle running drivers door closed and exit passenger door after shutting the vehicle off. Took to dealer after we had replaced the switch unit and latch to the drivers door, dealer found a broken wire in drivers door jam.

- Monticello, IL, USA

Jul 092011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated that the driver side door locks, interior lights and the window failed. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Metford, NJ, USA

Sep 042011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving on the mass turnpike and all instrument panel gauges stopped registering, ABS and brake lights starting blinking, cd player stopped working, and ac stopped. We shut off the ac, headlights and radio within 10 minutes everything seemed to reset but this is a very dangerous condition at highway speeds.

- Newton, MA, USA

Oct 012010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V117000 (seats: Front assembly: Seat heater/cooler). The vehicle began to exhibit several electrical failures within the turn signals, hazard lights and the heater fan. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where the electrical window motor, turn signals and hazard light electrical sensors were replaced. The heater fan was not repaired. The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 71,058.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Jul 092009

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Wiring harness located between front door and frame inside rubber tubing is made of inferior materials and cracks with time exposing wiring causing a safety issue. Specifically, the black neutral wire and orange wires have been cracking on dozens, if not thousands, of Jeep Grand Cherokee (as seen here: when this occurs, the wiring becomes exposed and/or breaks. In my case when this occurred, the drivers side door controls ceased to operate causing the windows and door locks to be unresponsive. In addition this causes the interior lights to turn on when the headlamps are on causing difficulty driving in night time conditions. Finally, this fault may be the cause of the drivers side brake light to fail when headlamps are on. This issue can be temporarily corrected by splicing the existing wiring harness. However, a more permanent solution would be to replace the entire wiring harness as other wires could deteriorate.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jan 202011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

No power to windows, locks and mirrors on doors. There is a wire on the inside of the drivers door that splits in half for no reason preventing anything on the doors to work. I cannot open any windows, un/lock any doors, or adjust my mirrors. This has not been recalled but is a very common problem with this vehicle. I feel this is a safety hazard.

- Alden, NY, USA

Mar 012010

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

2004 Grand Cherokee. Consumer states pulse module problem. The consumer stated the air conditioning unit ceased to function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the problem was diagnosed as a bad plug connector. They repaired the connector by cleaning and re-installing the pins at a cost of $170. Shortly thereafter, the unit once again ceased to function. The consumer stated he had to wiggle the plug in order for it to work and it only worked intermittently. The consumer was informed a repair kit was available with replacement parts. The dealer informed the consumer they would ship the parts to his hometown. It took approximately 2 1/2 months for the parts to arrive only after numerous phone calls. Upon inspecting the malfunctioning parts, the consumer found that they were badly burned and the wires were melted.

- Berlin, MD, USA

Dec 152010

Grand Cherokee

The windows and interior lights stopped working. When we pulled into the garage we noticed sparks near the door hinge. Two factory wires were broken and making contact, which was causing the arcing. A Jeep mechanic told me that nothing was being done about this defect, and that he has seen at least 2 a month with this defect. If any fumes from the fuel were present you would have a fire.

- Alpine, WY, USA

Dec 192010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Lights went haywire in the car as well as the locks on the windows and doors I.e., all of the locks do not work on with the remote, the side mirrors don't move, and the windows do not move up or down. After the headlights are on, the interior lights dim to where they cannot be seen. From an internet search, this is a common problem that cost $275 to repair. I took my car in today for service and was told $112 to look at the car that could be used towards the cost of the repair. According to the internet search the problem will be from a damaged wire in the door that will need to be repaired/replaced.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Jul 172010

Grand Cherokee

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited - passenger side front power window stopped working. Also blower on heating/ac unit works intermittently.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Sep 272010

Grand Cherokee

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE 4.0L all gauges bounce and stop working and the truck start slowing down at 60mph had to pull over to the left shoulder. Then the truck would not restart for 15min just as a toll truck was pulling up. Called the dealer and they say if the truck is running now there is nothing we can do unless it is not running. Now the window and door locks does not work. The interior lights stay on. After reading some other post on the web this is a known issue. It seem like there a problem with the wiring in the driver side door harness where one of the wires break away from the harness. After reading the below post Jeep has done nothing to fix the problem. This is a know problem for many years. Just read the below post.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Jun 132006

Grand Cherokee

Interior lights stopped working on 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. River oaks Jeep replaced right front door harness June 13, 2006. Same problem again and wire in front door post harness repaired by chuck nash Jeep in san marcos January 13, 2009. Same problem again and repaired by bluebonnet Jeep in new braunfels August 20, 2010. The wires in the harness are too short and break with the action of the door. Was told by bluebonnet this is a common failure with this vehicle but Chrysler Jeep refuses to recall these vehicles. This is a serious fire hazard. I spoke with a Chrysler customer service representative about this and another problem but she seemed unconcerned. Internet research showed many complaints about this problem.

- Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Aug 152010

Grand Cherokee

2004 Jeep Cherokee, twice now the fuse to the fuel injector has blown within a month rendering the car undrivable. Going down the road the car cuts off, you cannot steer it, and the brakes seem not to work well at all, you practically have to stand on them. This nearly got me hit today going through a red light. The first time it happened, I was going down a hill and barely got the car stopped before hitting a tree. I had it towed to a mechanic, he changed the fuse and thought that it was ok, until today. Two years ago, the wiring to the windows and door locks quit working and had to pay to have that replaced, there is definitely something not right with these vehicles. Years ago, I had an acceleration problem, got stuck, finally got control of it, and the check engine light stayed on, took it to the dealership, they said they couldn't find anything wrong, never could tell me why the check engine light had come on after this occurring.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Mar 102010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The electrical system is not working on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The gauges for the seatbelt and air bag stay on. The power windows and break lights work sporadically. I have taken my vehicle to various service providers to check it and I keep getting the same results. The symptoms are fixed temporarily. I have contacted Jeep without success and they have no record of any recalls on this type problem.

- Indio, CA, USA

Dec 222009

Grand Cherokee

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 46,636 miles out, no power in driver door to the door locks, extra mirrors or dome lights. Broken wire was found in wire boot between door and auto body. Wire failed due to metal fatigue of faulty wire that should have never been used in this location.

- Eau Claire , WI, USA

Nov 012009

Grand Cherokee

Car keeps cutting off while driving. Has done it several times on highway, rural roads and main roads. It has caused me to almost have several wrecks. When the car cuts off, I lose all power. I have been stranded several times with my autistic son. I have had to walk back home or get someone to come get me if it was further away. I have had to use someone car because I am afraid it will do it and I will wreck. After a while it will start again, but does the same thing over and over again. It started off about 1 month ago when I would just crank the car and the first time it would not crank but the 2nd time it would. In the last 2 weeks I have been stranded or be driving and have to put it in neutral to see if it will crank. It does and then I put in drive. It cuts off again. I have to pull over to the side of the road no matter where you are and sometimes if you are going on the highway at the speed and your car cuts off, you lose power and could easy wreck. If I was to pull out and it cut off, I could be hit and killed or a family member in the car with me. I was stranded across the street about 2 weeks ago and I was across the street from a Jeep dealership. A gentleman came over and brought some equipment when I told him what had happened and he told me that the crank shaft sensor went out. There is a recall on that part but not on mine. I have talked to the daimler Chrysler on December 29, 2009 and told them of the incident and was given a case number and was told someone would call me back. A gentleman did call back and left me a message that they had made a decision. I was not at the phone at the time he left the message. He left his name and number and I have called back. He was suppose to call me back the following day and he did not.

- Siler City, NC, USA

Feb 182009

Grand Cherokee

This is my 2nd brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee I had a 1994 and now have 2004 in both vehicles after a while it seems from opening the doors wires get pinched and the electric windows start to not work properly door locks don't work properly and I think it is no coincidence it has happens to both vehicles inability to lock doors or roll the electric windows up or down is a real safety issue especially in inclement weather or inability to lock doors at times with the crime element please reply to my message asap I have had it fixed 1 time and it didn't last long I this issue needs to be addressed I have 2 of these vehicles and it has happened to both of them a coincidence I don't think so.

- Largo, FL, USA

Dec 202005

Grand Cherokee

During winter months, heat shuts off and turns cold. This happened during a snowstorm and I could not defrost the windshield. I consider this a serious safety issue. I had to stop engine, wait 5 minutes and start engine again. This has happened every time the car is driven. In the summer months, the reverse happens. Suddenly, the air conditioner suddenly throws out hot air.

- Lords Valley, PA, USA

Sep 162009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that when attempting to start the vehicle it exhibited a no-start condition. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection. The technician concluded that the cause of the failure was the crank shaft sensor. He then added that his VIN number was excluded from recall # 04V112000 (electrical system: Starter assembly), so the component would have to be replaced under warranty. The failure and current mileages were 71,000.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Feb 042009

Grand Cherokee

I got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6cyl and having a few issues one is the #6 keeps saying bad injector car skips and stalls been in the shop 4 times in last month replaces #6 fuel injector and the throttle positions switch and all sparkplugs and now going back to shop check engine light on same code again getting costly then the wires on window has to be fixed 2 times and cost from my pocket again.

- Bradford, RI, USA