2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I purchased this vehicle September of 2013 and although I love this vehicle there is one thing that is so not right about it also. In the beginning the windows, door lock and electric windows would stop working then all of a sudden they are again. This vehicle was equipped with the most inadequate electric door unlocking system. There is this very thin wire very thin wire attached to this heavy metal thing that just sits in window. The wire comes apart so easy and it should not. Now that I have owned the vehicle for almost a year now the problem has become worse over the months. You use to be able to open and close driver door and right away everything would start working again. Now that it is hot outside I can not get it to work at all my windows stayed rolled down I can't adjust my mirrors and my electric door locks don't work for driver door. I feel that this is a safety hazard in so many ways. I have researched this this is common problem with all.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Feb 012011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the interior lights illuminated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was not able to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Vails Gate, NY, USA

Aug 152012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the temperature control malfunctioned. The contact mentioned that he inspected the vehicle and found that the wiring harness and connector were melted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000 and the current mileage was 246,000.

- Jackson , MS, USA

Feb 132008

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The interior lights stayed on. And all guages on dash were moving irratically. After google searching, I found that several people with the 2004 Cherokee have problems with wires in the driver door breaking. We checked the wires in the driver door boot and the black wire was broke. Fixed that problem. Now the wires in both front and and rear doors driver and passenger are broken. Rear speakers do not work, windows do not roll down, and doors do not lock. Sensor for interior light on rear passenger door do not work. Window is partially down and no way to put back up. My driver seat is making a rocking movement that just recently started. This is the worst vehicle I have owned by far. I have never had to replace all that I have in a vehicle. This year and model Jeep has alot of issues that Chrysler doesn't want to aknowledge. They need to be investigated further. I just called the customer service for Jeep and they said there are no recalls for my Jeep, and they have never had any complaints that I told them about. Do they just ignore the consumer or not want to admit their errors in this model.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Feb 202014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact had the vehicle repaired by an authorized dealer under NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags ). after the repairs, the windshield wipers would not turn off, and the headlights would randomly turn on and off recurringly. The vehicle was taken back for a diagnostic test where the independent mechanic diagnosed that the inner body module needed to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Coshocton, OH, USA

Feb 172014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Windows don't work, door locks won't work, inside lights stay on..second time for this problem.

- Telford, PA, USA

Jan 212014

Grand Cherokee

Windows, door locks will not operate. Cabin lights will not go out when headlights are on creating a dangerous situation.

- Bayville, NJ, USA

May 152013

Grand Cherokee

Defect in electrical wiring in driver-side door prevents windows from rolling down (a safety hazard) and doors from locking/unlocking. The back hatch will either remain in locked or unlocked mode depending on when the wiring fails (this model Jeep does not include a manual way to use a key to unlock/lock the back hatch). If a pet was in the back of the SUV that had a "pet fence", there would be no way to get the pet out of the vehicle (or luggage/cargo). This is especially concerning in the event of a rear end collision where the gas tank may catch on fire (current recall). The interior lights also stay on as if a door was open. Turning off the interior lights prevents the speedometer/odometer/gauges/etc from illuminating at night. If the lights are not turned off, then all interior lights remain on causing a hazard at night as well. Driver-side wiring was fixed in October of 2012. In September of 2013, the passenger-side wiring is causing the same problem - windows/door locks don't work and the interior lights stay on. This problem is not an anomaly. It is very concerning that the wiring can fail in both front doors within a one year period - creating safety issues.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Nov 292013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, she noticed smoke emitting from underneath the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the wiring harness for the heater motor would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 79,915.

- West Frankfort, IL, USA

Oct 162013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the check engine warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the oxygen sensor and oxygen heater sensor were replaced. Three days after the repair was performed the failure recurred. The dealer then updated the computer system, however the failure persisted intermittently. The dealer also informed the contact that the drives in the computerized system would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 092013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

- South Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

Jul 152008

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the front and rear driver and passenger side windows would not open and the dome light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician replaced the wiring within the driver's side door wiring harness. After the repair the failure recurred six times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Lykens, PA, USA

Feb 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 12V527000 (air bags) and had not experienced the failure as described in the recall however, the contact was concerned that the failure could occur at any moment. The dealer advised that the part needed to complete the recall service was not available and that he would receive a recall letter when the parts became available. In addition, the contact mentioned that the electronic door locks failed and were inoperable. The automatic key fob would not activate the door locks from a short or wide range. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate current mileage was 68,000.

- Zolfo Springs , FL, USA

Jun 022008

Grand Cherokee

I have on two occasions had my door locks and windows stop operating. The first time a wire was found to have cracked in half inside a protected area of the drivers door. This cost $300. I became such a headache to the Chrysler Corp. They refunded me $250. The second time we experienced this same problem the dealer found the same wire in a different location under the glove box had just broken in two. This cost me again and Chrysler would not help. I have seen this same complaint on this same vehicle on this site. There is a problem that must be studied because of the possible fire hazard. Another problem we have had is an intense gas odor towards the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle has been checked many times an no one can find the problem, the odor is very intense at times.

- Brookings, OR, USA

Oct 172012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the battery, pole, starter and alternator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 151,695.

- Agusa, GA, USA

Mar 132013

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee were I first experienced problems in Oct 2012 with the harness wires and I took it to the dealer and they repaired the wires inside then again 4 months later it happened again and I just had them replace them a 3rd time 03/13 /13 and after 2 weeks of having it home now my Jeep wont start I have it towed to dealer once again they said I need a crank shaft sensor replaced I have them replace it and they tell me it wasn't the problem that now I need to change the PCM so I bought the part and put it in 650 later car still no start so now I changed the cam shaft sensor and still tries to start but just wont I am stressed I have small children and no car now I cant keep dishing out money to these dealers for fixes that aren't necessary I really need some help.

- Cohoes, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Grand Cherokee

Electric windows and locks stopped working. Found broken wire in driver side door harness. Repaired the wire and then rf door harness wires broken. Repaired those wires and now harness contact in rf door panel connection is faulty. Window and locks do not work unless you wriggle connector. Rr door does not lock. Replace window and door switch but did not solve the problem.

- Brightwood, OR, USA

Nov 052009

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

First started in Nov 2009 driver side door controls won't work, dome lights go on with headlights, repaired broken wire. June 2010, drivers door is inoperable window stuck down, cannot lock doors, repaired wiring harness in door. Dec. 2011 windows and door locks were inoperable. - made wiring repair., Jan 2013 door locks and windows inoperable, dome light stays on while driving or else you loose control panel lights.-repaired door harness in rr and rf doors-was told this is last time they can repair harnesses and next time this happens it will cost $2,000 to replace all wiring. This seems ridiculous and the dealership mentioned they have had this problem before with Jeep. I do not see how this should keep malfunctioning if no damage or abuse has happened to the vehicle. I believe Jeep should stand behind their vehicle and repair the wiring harness at no charge until they come up with a better system of wiring harnesses through the doors.

- Ellington, CT, USA

Mar 122009

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Jeep Cherokee which has an electrical issue where the power windows, door locks and everything on the drivers side door control panel do not work as well as the interior lights do not turn off, all causing a safety issue.I found out this is a known issue with Jeep Cherokee due to the wiring inside the front drivers side door. I had this issue in 2009 after at about 46,000 miles. When calling the dealership I was told that this is a known issue and the dealership give me an exact price over the phone as they knew of this issue. Since the dealership was very rude and price was very high.I had the repairs done at a highly regarded repair shop which specializes in electrical work which cost $201 but now (at 80,000 miles) the exact same issue has happened again due to the opening and closing of the front drivers side door. The wiring harness is located on the driver's side door, but the harness is too small to sustain all of the wires. When the door is opened, the wires come out of the harness and break, which causes everything on the drivers side door panel not to work. This includes the power windows, door locks, interior lights and power mirrors all of which cause a safety hazard. I believe that this should be a recall for Jeep that they should fix free of charge especially since this is a known issue. I feel that it's very reckless of Jeep to not recall this known safety issue and allow their customers to drive with windows and door locks that to not work or interior lights that do not turn off. In order to turn off the interior lights I had to remove the fuse which can be very dangerous at night and makes it very difficult see any of the instruments. This car is used by my handicapped wife and due to this issue I will not let her drive at night as I feel this car is very unsafe in it's current state.

- Mount Arlington, NJ, USA

Nov 142012

Grand Cherokee

I know of at least 4 people who have Jeep vehicles and we are constantly replacing the tail light, brake light and or having issues with electrical functions. Within 2years I have personally replaced my entire driver tail light, bulbs 4 times. I have searched for any recalls and I have only found 1, but nothing in regards to electrical and or brake light issues.

- Riverdale , GA, USA