2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Nov 132013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee consumer complains that recall was performed eight times and problem still exist the consumer stated shortly after the recall was performed, a message appeared on the dashboard that stated service 4-wheel drive. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer. An inspection revealed the transfer case actuator was faulty, which was directly related to the recall. The dealer performed the recall again, which did not resolve the problem. Customer service, informed the consumer to go to another dealer where they would replace the transfer case actuator. However, the dealer only reprogrammed the software update, which they did three times. Three weeks later, the consumer went to another dealer, and they informed him the recall needed to be done again. Recall # 13V175000. Customer follow-up. Updated 01/28/15.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

May 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I began to get a whining noise from the transmission. I brought the car in for service and recommendation were to service the transmission and the noise went away. Just recently the whining noise returned and now when shifting from first gear into second it is a hard shift not fluid and smooth. The service station who I have been going to for over 30 years is a very reputable and a life long friend. He found no codes from the on board computer and his recommendations were to have the car checked by and Jeep dealer for more complete diagnoses as they have equipment that might help with the problem but his diagnosis was probable bad transmission. From the start this car always had a shift problem from first to second. Many times there was a delay in from park to drive and had brought the car in for service while under warranty but was told there were no codes nor anything wrong with the transmission. I have been told by my mechanic the Jeep are known for bad transmission but never got any service calls.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Nov 032014

Grand Cherokee 4WD

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee issues with the Chrysler recall N23 the consumer stated shortly after having his vehicle serviced at the dealer for the recall, when he used the 4-wheel low the driver information center displayed service 4WD system. The system would not shift into 4 wheel low range. The consumer returned to the dealer where they reprogrammed the final drive control module. Shortly thereafter, the service 4WD system displayed again. The consumer learned a revised software program was written for the final drive control module, because the program may have been installed incorrectly.

- Cameron Park, CA, USA

Aug 152013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received NHTSA campaign number:13V175000 (electrical system, power train) and took the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer was expected to re-flash the final drive controller, which governs the transfer with new software. The vehicle was serviced, but the four wheel drive began to malfunction. The service four wheel driving unit warning light illuminated and the gears would not shift into four wheel drive. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and they re-flashed the system. The failure recurred. On another occasion, the gear shifted into four wheel drive and would not shift from the gear. The dealer stated that the actuator motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the failure had not recurred until the vehicle was taken to the dealer to be repaired under the recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Liver Pool , NY, USA

Dec 012011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving at an unknown speed attempting to make a turn, the traction warning light illuminated and a loud grinding noise emitted from the vehicle. The contact stated that the esp, bap and transmission warning lights were also continuously illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact had received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical systems) and NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). However, the parts needed were not available. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would become available to service the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,957. The VIN was unavailable.

- Aurora , CO, USA

Sep 052014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My son had his Jeep in drive, sitting on an incline waiting to exit a parking lot. When he attempted to move forward the car had gone into neutral on its own and he rolled back into the vehicle behind him. He had to put the car in park, turn it off, start it again, and put it in drive before it would go forward. This incident caused damage to the front bumper of the car behind him. I took the Jeep to the dealer and was told by their technician that the N23 recall had never been performed on this vehicle. It had been taken to another dealer to perform the recall by the previous owner before I purchased it and that dealer incorrectly reported that they performed the recall at that time. This recall was required to keep a car from slipping into neutral without input from the driver. I just bought this car in February and checked for any open recalls before purchasing. Jeep was fraudulent when reporting this recall as completed and is responsible for the damage incurred. Jeep did have my vehicle inspected, and I am still waiting to hear from them. I have attempted to contact them numerous times but still have not been contacted by them about this inspection. I am concerned about how many other Grand Cherokee owners are driving their vehicles thinking the recall had been performed and in fact it has not.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 212014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/06/14 the consumer stated all the indicator lights went off while driving and continued to go and off. The vehicle would not accelerate but, after a few minutes the vehicle would jump into gear. It was determined that the prndl bez was faulty and needed to be replaced. The failure recurred. Updated 7/27/2015 the consumer stated a year later, she experienced the same issue as before. The dealer replaced the same part. The consumer continued to experience problems after the ignition was replaced. Power steering fluid was leaking. The dealer replaced a connector. Updated 12/30/15

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

May 252011

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was going down the highway, and all of a sudden I had no power. It was like I turned the car off. Luckily I was able to put the car into neutral and restart it. This has happened several times sense I bought the car in may of 2011. When this does happen I have no power, no dash lights, no nothing.

- Mounds, OK, USA

Aug 232014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I smelled antifreeze on my 2 month old used 2006 Jeep Cherokee. I looked under hood. It appears the transmission seal is leaking. Or transfer case. I have a warranty but really? I just got this vehicle.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 122014

Grand Cherokee

I will be going at any speed and my Jeep will just die or spit and sputter like its not getting gas then the RPM gauge drops to zero all the dash lights come on. This happens on the highway in the middle of intersection and it happens intermittently so you never know when its going to happen. Took it to mechanic and they told me the valve body solenoid was bad. If you search any of this online you will see that there are several people with the same problem this needs to be a recall before someone ends up dead!!

- Pittsfield , IL, USA

Jul 122014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

A lot of people on Jeep forums have been reporting their Jeep showing a "transmission overheat" message in display and vehicle not turning over. Is there a way NHTSA can look into this and see if Jeep needs to issue a recall? this has now caught up to me, and I am having never ending issues with my Jeep, and all that Jeep says is sorry you're out of warranty....; I am the original owner since 2006, have about 130K miles, been through 3 catalytic converters, 2 exhausts and most recently a transmission rebuild, that was done 4 months ago, now I am having this issue... please please please please please look into this!

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee

Car will pop out of gear and into neutral while driving at speeds under 60mph. Car has been owned by me since it had 9000 miles and has been serviced regularly and is a low mileage car. Desintegrating door panels, issues with transmission that could cause loss of control in traffic, what next. Chrysler maintains that there are no recalls for these known safety hazards. Crazy. Updated 2/25/2015

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 112010

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee (2006). Over the past 5 years, it has intermittently had problems. Sometimes while driving and after startup. These problems have always been loss of gauges, flashing lights in dash, what appears to be the traction control or brakes kicking in and the loss of power steering? when this first started happening I thought maybe the computer had been vibrated or jostled and had a glitch. Over time it would go away and 6 months or so later happen again! I have done everything in my power to stop this from happening, ie changing parts and trouble shooting the problems to no avail. I thought I had this narrowed down to a rusted connection from a ground wire connected to the block.....wrong again! this morning I had my 4 year old son in the Jeep and was taking a left at a busy intersection. I clearly had enough time to make the turn, but as I was turning it sounded like my anti lock brakes were kicking in mid turn with a car coming right at us! I made the turn pulled over on the side of the road. All my gauges were dead, check engine light on and only the gear selector was visible. I have read on many Jeep related forums, that this is not only happening to my Jeep but many others! while reading I have noticed one thing. In many cases these problems were solved by replacing the ignition switch! after reading this I further researched the problem against recalls. I found that, according to the wall street journal, NY times, usa today and forbes, Chrysler is allegedly recalling these vehicles with faulty ignition switches. So I called my local dealer. They looked my Jeep up in their database and told me they're were no recalls on my vehicle and that they haven't recalled any vehicles for faulty ignition switches. I would appreciate it if the NHTSA could help with some of these problems and answer some of these question I and many others have.

- Corydon, IN, USA

Sep 012013

Grand Cherokee

Chrysler issued a N23 recall notice due to cracking circuit boards in the transfer case actuator (vehicle may inadvertently shift in to neutral). Prior to the application of this recall my vehicle was capable of engaging 4lo. Afterwards (immediately afterwards in the dealership parking lot) the transfer case would not shift. Each attempt would result in a "service 4xd system" and would trigger a C140F trouble code. Chrysler refuses to acknowledge the recall flash to be the issue. From Jeep forums I have found myself to be one of hundreds if not more that encountered this issue. This recall is in essence a software work-around for a hardware issue. This recall is obviously a cheap attempt at fixing a costly issue of replacing the defective actuators with new. As a consumer I expect the manufacturer to fix potentially dangerous issues (such as what N23 attempts to do). However, it is not acceptable in doing so to damage the vehicle further or render systems inoperable.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Jun 042014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Took the vehicle in for a noise that turned out to be a bearing problem. While in they indicated that an internal transfer case seal was leaking. I am being told that type of failure is very common with this type of vehicle. If unnoticed could cause a failure.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Dec 122013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

In December my local Jeep dealership installed safety recall N23 code. Five days later I towed my Jeep behind my motorhome to Florida in neutral/tow mode. When I arrived I could not get my Jeep out of neutral mode...message "repair 4 wheel drive system". I went to a local transmission shop and they replaced the transfer case motor at the cost of $600. When we got ready to leave Florida in April I could not get the Jeep to go into neutral/tow mode...same message. I went back to the transmission shop... this time they tested the motor and reset the codes...I was able to go into tow mode. Now in may as we were hooking up to go camping I could not go into tow mode..same message again. There are many Jeep owners having this same problem after installing N23. I believe that the reason this transfer case motor and actuator is on back order is because of all the replacements after installing N23. I think that Jeep has to resolve this code problem...and I also believe that a repayment from Jeep is in order.

- Spring Lake, MI, USA

Oct 122010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer requests reimbursement for recall repairs. The consumer stated the costly repair of the shifter assembly did not successfully address the real defective part, the final drive controller module software, which was finally made public in 2013. In early 2010, the vehicle unintentionally shifted from drive into neutral, while the consumer was driving. Luckily, she was able to coast out of the roadway into a parking lot. The dealer mistakenly diagnosed the condition as a defective shifter and replaced it. At the end of May 2011, the vehicle once again shifted from drive into neutral on its own. The consumer no longer owns the vehicle.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Feb 042013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The vehicle did restart. This failure has occurred four times over a period of one year. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the gear shift but the failure continued. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Donna, TX, USA

Jan 252013

Grand Cherokee

Car shifted unintentionally into neutral when driving, did the several times. Had to have electronic shift module replaced, in January 2013. Chrysler issued a recall May 2013 for 2005-2010 cars, but my vehicle bin was not included.

- Highland , NY, USA

Oct 152013

Grand Cherokee

TL * the contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the transmission made a loud sound. The contact stated the failure began after the vehicle was repaired under a manufacturer recall for the gear box. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, however the technician was unable to diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer was notified of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 98,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA